Lawyer for former Bangkok Police Chief to meet Japanese prosecutors

webfact

I remember that as well.

Sombat Chartchaiwaiyawit, who is (was?) chief of passenger inspection at Suvarnabhumi airport, smacked the ears of security officer Sirichai Maichum, after he was stopped for a body pat-down during a security check at the airport back in Jan 2012.

Don't want to get off topic here... But the security guard guy who got smacked around by the government official there must have set a Guinness World Book of Records notch for the most number of wais in the shortest period of time.

Just indicative of how the self-important people here feel they can act with impunity against those around them. Try that same stunt back in my former home, and the government guy likely would have found himself sitting in a jail cell.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to reports, it's a .22 Magnum. Interesting side note: Back in the '80's I had a very close "acquaintance" who worked as a real life hitman for the Mafia in Chicago. His weapon of choice for up close jobs - .22 Magnum. Of course, it didn't help him much when 3 of his "competitors" took him out with .45 autos. 555

BKK Post had a photo of it or a similar weapon, a 22 magnum 5 shot revolver. A lot bigger than the photo already posted on this site.

In his defence it was suggest the gun was the size of a Mercedes key.

They must think that means it is a harmless toy not something designed to maim or kill.

The Saturday night special shown in the Post is a North American Arms Sidewinder .22 magnum http://northamericanarms.com/naa-sidewinder.html. You can also change out the cylinder for a .22lr cylinder which would have made it the perfect hi-jack gun, if Kamronwit had been more successful in getting it on board. Israeli sky marshals used to carry Beretta 70s chambered in .22lr on board and used them to deadly effect against terrorists on many occasions. The .22lr cartridge does the job at close range with good shot placement but is the least likely round to penetrate cabin walls. A .22 magnum would make the same size hole but would be much more likely to penetrate the cabin wall. Still much better than anything larger though. I think the Japanese should be even more suspicious about any type of .22 pistol being smuggled on board an aircraft, as it suggests a hi-jacker willing to use the gun on board to kill someone but not willing to take down the whole plane in the process.

At 5 inches overall length and weighing 6 oz the Sidewinder is a bit bigger and heavier than the average police general's Benz key fob and it would be hard for him not to notice it, if he rummaged in his medicine bag for a Tylenol. Since Kamronwit claims that he brought the weapon into Japan in his checked luggage and then transferred it to his hand luggage for the return journey, it is obvious that he admitted knowing he had it with him. If he was really so stupid that he packed the gun in his checked luggage without realising and then found it in his hotel room, you would have thought he would not then have compounded the felony by trying to smuggle it on a plane. If he was honest he could have turned himself in to police and say he had made an honest mistake or just tried to dispose of the gun surreptitiously dumping into a body of water. He could have tried to file off the Thai and US serial numbers and/or got his corrupt RTP buddies at home to file a backdated stolen gun report, so that, if it were found later, it could look as if someone else smuggled the stolen gun to Japan and then found the need to dump it.

The Nation has missed off the added penalty for smuggling which would be another 3 years minimum for the actual smuggling to Japan and a further 3 years minimum for the attempted smuggling out of Japan. That brings his potential minimum sentence up to 9 years if convicted on one count of possessing a loaded weapon and 2 counts of smuggling. What an idiot.

80 people to look at a waste facility?

That's 80 Business Class seats, 5-star Hotels, expense accounts for Rapongi, some karaoke to appease their hosts, gifts for the wife and mia noi...

They could have bought the waste facility at these kind of junket prices.

I'd been thinking the same thing, ever since the 80 figure was first reported...

What hasn't been said, though, is who was footing the tab for this junket? The Thai national government, the local folks in Pathum Thani who are considering building a plant, or the Japanese interested in getting a contract or selling their technology?

Somehow, it seems fitting, though, that this guy is now dealing in the garbage business. Not too different from his former profession.

Where are the military regime's defenders now? Didn't they say that the new government put an end to corruption?

The media are either afraid to ask questions or don't want to know.

Had this occurred under the former democratically elected government, questions in parliament would have been asked, and TVF would have been chock full of accusers. All we hear now are crickets.......

The double standard and hypocrisy is rather thick.

Probably somehow money will be paid to get him out of that country and a waste burning facility built in Thailand or eventually money to him for embarrassment and his assistance for waste burning facility in Thailand.

The Saturday night special shown in the Post is a North American Arms Sidewinder .22 magnum http://northamericanarms.com/naa-sidewinder.html. You can also change out the cylinder for a .22lr cylinder which would have made it the perfect hi-jack gun, if Kamronwit had been more successful in getting it on board. Israeli sky marshals used to carry Beretta 70s chambered in .22lr on board and used them to deadly effect against terrorists on many occasions. The .22lr cartridge does the job at close range with good shot placement but is the least likely round to penetrate cabin walls. A .22 magnum would make the same size hole but would be much more likely to penetrate the cabin wall. Still much better than anything larger though. I think the Japanese should be even more suspicious about any type of .22 pistol being smuggled on board an aircraft, as it suggests a hi-jacker willing to use the gun on board to kill someone but not willing to take down the whole plane in the process.

At 5 inches overall length and weighing 6 oz the Sidewinder is a bit bigger and heavier than the average police general's Benz key fob and it would be hard for him not to notice it, if he rummaged in his medicine bag for a Tylenol. Since Kamronwit claims that he brought the weapon into Japan in his checked luggage and then transferred it to his hand luggage for the return journey, it is obvious that he admitted knowing he had it with him. If he was really so stupid that he packed the gun in his checked luggage without realising and then found it in his hotel room, you would have thought he would not then have compounded the felony by trying to smuggle it on a plane. If he was honest he could have turned himself in to police and say he had made an honest mistake or just tried to dispose of the gun surreptitiously dumping into a body of water. He could have tried to file off the Thai and US serial numbers and/or got his corrupt RTP buddies at home to file a backdated stolen gun report, so that, if it were found later, it could look as if someone else smuggled the stolen gun to Japan and then found the need to dump it.

The Nation has missed off the added penalty for smuggling which would be another 3 years minimum for the actual smuggling to Japan and a further 3 years minimum for the attempted smuggling out of Japan. That brings his potential minimum sentence up to 9 years if convicted on one count of possessing a loaded weapon and 2 counts of smuggling. What an idiot.

Thanks for that very informed post.

I suspect the anorak was requested to hide the handcuffs and try to offer some sort of disguise for him to save face.The picture was likely taken when he was transfered by police from a holding cell at the airport.

I presume until charged he will be locked up in the main downtown police station near the airport.

He will certainly be pretty angry at this stage and expecting strings to be pulled to secure his release.

The question is will he get bail?

Edited by Jay Sata

Where are the military regime's defenders now? Didn't they say that the new government put an end to corruption?

Had this occurred under the former democratically elected government, questions in parliament would have been asked, and TVF would have been chock full of accusers. All we hear now are crickets.......

Hey, don't be so hard on yourself. We know how hard is is to defend this arrogant stupid scum, and didn't expect you to defend him just because he was Thaksin's attack dog. Or the other one just convicted of doing Thaksin's dirty work rather than his job.

Not your place to comment about either. Just to change the subject.

You know I don't think an intelligent man as he is would have tried to take a gun knowingly into Japan. What for ?

He did not because a Police chief out of stupidity. All you negative ones that say he knew. I am glad a case cannot be tried here in TV. EVERYONE would be guilty.

Take a look at your selves Have you ever made a mistake ?

Give the guy a break We all make mistakes at one time

Not with a loaded gun.

I have carried a hand gun, after proper training. It was always within instant reach of my right hand or locked away, unloaded, with the ammunition stored in a different location.

"The gun is very small, a little bigger than a car key chain,"coffee1.gif

According to reports, it's a .22 Magnum. Interesting side note: Back in the '80's I had a very close "acquaintance" who worked as a real life hitman for the Mafia in Chicago. His weapon of choice for up close jobs - .22 Magnum. Of course, it didn't help him much when 3 of his "competitors" took him out with .45 autos. 555

BKK Post had a photo of it or a similar weapon, a 22 magnum 5 shot revolver. A lot bigger than the photo already posted on this site.

They must think that means it is a harmless toy not something designed to maim or kill.

The .22 Magnum round enters one part of the body and then tumbles and tumbles, causing massive destruction of tissue, before stopping or exiting up to a meter away from the entry point. It is in no way harmless and it was designed to maim or kill. As Just1Voice pointed out, it is a preferred choice for assassinations. All bullets are designed to maim or kill or what's the point of having them?

BTW, there is no defense for bringing a firearm, of any size/caliber, onto a commercial airliner. His actions were plain stupid.

Edited by rametindallas

The .22 Magnum round enters one part of the body and then tumbles and tumbles, causing massive destruction of tissue, before stopping or exiting up to a meter away from the entry point. It is in no way harmless and it was designed to maim or kill. As Just1Voice pointed out, it is a preferred choice for assassinations. All bullets are designed to maim or kill or what's the point of having them?

BTW, there is no defense for bringing a firearm, of any size/caliber, onto a commercial airliner. His actions were plain stupid.

"His He actions were plain is stupid."

By far the best post seen anywhere on this website to date this year.

He will of course be represented by a Japanese lawyer and if it goes to court as likely the case will be heard in Japanese.

I read somewhere his son was heading for Narita with Thai paperwork for the gun to try and suggest it was all legal.

In Thailand perhaps but Japan takes a more robust attitude to the law as demonstrated by the arrest a few days ago of the head of PR for Toyota and that was just for bring personal pharmaceuticals in that are not allowed.

In my opinion this guy carries his gun in much the same way most people carry their phone.

He is used to having it with him and always loaded.

Demonstrates that you should assume gun carrying is the norm in Thailand and never get in to an argument.

Meanwhile the government in Bangkok are saying he now faces a two year jail term in Thailand.

Meaningless of course because after several appeals while on bail the case will be forgotten.

"I read somewhere his son was heading for Narita with Thai paperwork for the gun to try and suggest it was all legal."

So if i take legal Marijuana from a country with liberal drug laws to Japan where it is illegal everything is OK.

Anyway it is a highly concealable weapon, sneaky little thing and who would give a toss about Thai paperwork that came out of the RTP's inkjet printer yesterday for an ex Top Cop.

I admit like many here I want to see him go down, big time !

He has made statements that he took the gun with him, knew he had it with him, but had no intention to take it on the plane. So what did he intend to do with it when he returned? Leave it in the hotel room?

exactly

I'd been thinking the same thing, ever since the 80 figure was first reported...

What hasn't been said, though, is who was footing the tab for this junket? The Thai national government, the local folks in Pathum Thani who are considering building a plant, or the Japanese interested in getting a contract or selling their technology?

Somehow, it seems fitting, though, that this guy is now dealing in the garbage business. Not too different from his former profession.

Well, this thread is about an ex policeman who allegedly illegally brought a handgun into Japan and then allegedly tried to take the same gun onto an international commercial air flight out of Japan.

It's not about a Thai junket of 80 some people to Japan ostensibly to check about waste incineration facilities. Nonetheless, myself and several other posters here raised issues about the trip itself, particularly given the large number of Thai travelers involved.

However, at this point, us lowly TVFers don't know who paid for the trip, as I mentioned above: could have been the national government, could have been some local Thai government entity, could have been the Japanese company involved likely trying to sell their technology to Thailand.

At least we here are talking about the garbage junket issue, unlike the Thai news media, which seems thus far to let it pass without notice or any further inquiry about the junket itself. So if you want to fling complaints about, that's who you should be directing them towards.

I have read elsewhere he was travelling as an advisor to Pathum Thani local government on a tour of waste-to-energy power

generation facilities in Japan.

How a retired police chief becomes an expert in waste to power generation beats me but I suspect he was one of the 80 who saw it as a nice free all expense paid trip to Japan.

No doubt local government funded the trip and I suspect half the group were wives tagging along for the freebie.

The airfares,food and hotel must have cost quite a bit.

No Thai media have picked up on why it needed more than a couple of engineers to go and inspect this plant.

I have read elsewhere he was travelling as an advisor to Pathum Thani local government on a tour of waste-to-energy power

generation facilities in Japan.

How a retired police chief becomes an expert in waste to power generation beats me but I suspect he was one of the 80 who saw it as a nice free all expense paid trip to Japan.

No doubt local government funded the trip and I suspect half the group were wives tagging along for the freebie.

The airfares,food and hotel must have cost quite a bit.

No Thai media have picked up on why it needed more than a couple of engineers to go and inspect this plant.

Because engineers aren't usually Hi-So and besides we deserve to go because we are really really special people, don't you know anything?

Would this excuse work? "It was an honest mistake!"

Worked in the highest court in Thailand...

The first thing that the lawyer will say to the Jap police is "Do you know who he is " However not being in Thailand, this might not work !