Aussie yacht stranded on Phuket beach recovered, but broken and seized

webfact

Who on earth would do this.

You would - if you were the Thai person responsible for keeping the beach looking beautiful, and HM Princess is coming to visit....

If he did pay, then I think he maybe had no choice but to cough up to rid the beach of the wreck pronto

This happened the day after, so perhaps a wee word was had.

Ahem......a very small supply boat five years ago cost US15,000 per day (460,000 Bt).

The price for that barge, which is not self-propelled, and the stand-by boats actually sounds cheap.

where on earth do ALL you guys get your prices from???

From real life experience in the marine business.

Ahem......a very small supply boat five years ago cost US15,000 per day (460,000 Bt).

The price for that barge, which is not self-propelled, and the stand-by boats actually sounds cheap.

I work offshore on seismic survey vessels. We hire supply boats to keep fishermen away from the equipment that is trailing out the back.

Knowing the costs of the operation is part of my job.

Five years ago a very small supply boat was US$15,000 per day.

Does that answer your question?

I work offshore on seismic survey vessels. We hire supply boats to keep fishermen away from the equipment that is trailing out the back.

Your prices are reasonably accurate KB, but they SHOULD change somewhat if the majority of the crew are Burmese, on 100 baht a day, and the boats do not have to meet any safety standards.

Edited by NamKangMan

The boats we hired were Indonesian.

Labour costs are almost insignificant. Fuel is the big expenditure. They use between 3 and 5 cubic metres per day.

Safety isn't an option. Working boats don't get insurance, or certification to work unless they pass a minimum standard inspection.

This is compulsory and doesn't depend on country.

Well as I have said in my last post, Wavemaster pulled my 32ton Ketch of the beach,( she was laying on her side) all for the cost of 500 Malaysian Ringet

7 years ago. If you are government,or subsidised the prices will soar.

Does anyone think the owners are still around? I'm assuming they did a runner.

I would agree. Expect the 2 guys to steer clear of Thailand for a long time.

Just wondering what offence have they committed?

Littering, maybe?

Has there / will there be a warrant issued?

Well as I have said in my last post, Wavemaster pulled my 32ton Ketch of the beach,( she was laying on her side) all for the cost of 500 Malaysian Ringet

7 years ago. If you are government,or subsidised the prices will soar.

In Malaysia, you are a sailor in distress.

On Phuket, you are a target for extortion.

Big difference.

Doubt the owners are interested now. A demasted boat with an engine that needs repair, and a 800,000 baht salvage fee waiting for them.

Thats what insurance is for.

If it was insured would the insurance not have got it off the beach for them? Easier to have organised recovery than some barge that demasts the boat and adds to costs.

Did you every tried a recovery of a boat, when it's full of sand!!???

Why would it full of sand? it is a sealed vessel. I have sailed for years owned 4 sailboats have seen many beached boats none full of sand. I knew one guy who beached his boat when he wanted to clean the bottom. On the beach just means it isnot floating doesnot mean it is taking on sand. A boat would have to be beached a very long time before sand would get in. Also it is in the best interest of insurance companies to recover as soon as possible, before any other damage occures

Just a quick story about one friends boat recovery Summer racing at the club one night a J24 sank with full sails working. When the recovery team went down to raise the next morning they said the boat sat perfectly on the bottom and the current going through the sails made it look like the boat was actually sailing The recovery team said it was spooky

Edited by lovelomsak

Why would it full of sand? it is a sealed vessel. I have sailed for years owned 4 sailboats have seen many beached boats none full of sand. I knew one guy who beached his boat when he wanted to clean the bottom. On the beach just means it isnot floating doesnot mean it is taking on sand. A boat would have to be beached a very long time before sand would get in. Also it is in the best interest of insurance companies to recover as soon as possible, before any other damage occures

Just a quick story about one friends boat recovery Summer racing at the club one night a J24 sank with full sails working. When the recovery team went down to raise the next morning they said the boat sat perfectly on the bottom and the current going through the sails made it look like the boat was actually sailing The recovery team said it was spooky

Clearly you never observed all the sandy muck being washed over the bow for a couple of months. I have no doubt there was a lot of sand inside.

From real life experience in the marine business.

As it happens so was I.I Owned a yacht charter business, But we only did coast sailing,and had great connections. Wave Master boat builders were great.and very fair.

Clearly you never observed all the sandy muck being washed over the bow for a couple of months. I have no doubt there was a lot of sand inside.

When the same thing happend to us,the main cabin,and the engine room was after one night full of sand. We washed it out before they pulled us of the beach

A fxxxxxx night-mare