Phraya Banlue canal road subsides in Ayutthaya

webfact

Scorecard,

No, no bound to happen and yes, can be prevented.

It is only a small section of the whole road which from the pic also runs its full length alongside the canal.

If unpreventable you would expect some movement to have occurred at other locations as well.

Changes in moisture content of soil can cause issues, especially clay based soils that expand and contract more than sand based soils.

In this case, there may have been a localised abnormality not known about during construction but the more likely cause is either 'one size fits all' engineering or a local land owner is disposing of some type of waste water under the road and the pipes have failed or similar.

It is hard to see from the picture but the soil directly under the road base seems nothing more than dirt and reddish clay both which would be considered an inadequate road base material.

You gotta love TV there is an expert ready for comment on any subject.

No shortage of commentators on those comments either.

thailand set the goal for wooden construction 100''s of year ago then the farang brought in this concrete , steel, wire; rock of various sizes; sand, tamperspiling to solid base , compact soil ;etc and screwed up our age old practices. we wanted to build upward or we would never have changed.

\we still forget and leave one or two of those new items out but we have always repaired as we progrossed. that does not not as well in the building skyward methods we are doing now. noe we bdo a lot of cover up- and a.. wiping when the sh.t hits the fan on a regular basis. farang say PPP piss poor planning, but maybe its the excutionthat needs improvnent and education for those involved

Have to love Thai engineers rolleyes.gif

Not really the engineering at fault more like the high quotation for government funds, buying cheap products and cutting corners then filling ones bank account with huge greedy amounts of cash.

But happens all over the world and so do the land slides.

Next.

problem solved. Thailand have to lern to use drain lines. When building a new road with sewer in the side put those drain pipe line with a distance of 50-75 meters apart and the roads have more difficult to breaklaugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

its probably just 1 of the contracts that were subcontracted 30 times down the envelope chain until farmer somchai built it for 1000bt a metre.........while the 1st contractor got 100000bt a metre. the kick back is that farmer somchai now gets to plug the holes with red mud @10bt a hole for the next 20 years....... but they'll need a lot of mud in the op photos...

problem solved. Thailand have to lern to use drain lines. When building a new road with sewer in the side put those drain pipe line with a distance of 50-75 meters apart and the roads have more difficult to breaklaugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

Or hire you to design and construct.

They did the road running outside my house in Mae tha Lamphun...all they did was scrape back the surface down to the red soil Then ran over it continuously for about half a day with big rollers then in the night 30 or 40 lorry loads of chippings not hardcore as we know it.They then leveled it and went over it with the heavy rollers again,maybe 16 inches/400 mm in one go then put approx 2 inches of Tarmac on the top...I have done lots of ground works over the years and it looked when it was finished but I know after one year or so and the rains followed by big spells of drought it's going to break up..Guarantee....and I notice one poster making the comment about so called experts on here..well as someone else pointed out there's bound to be many ex pats with a multitude of skills and knowledge...from leaving school many of us had to sink or swim and have lots of knowledge...

Edited by Nigeone

That's a crazy picture..I've seen it all now...when they were planning and laying out the road how the hell didn't they work round it.I can just see the conversation that took place when they did the road...along with the big smile and laugh! Followed by more whiskey

Scorecard,

No, no bound to happen and yes, can be prevented.

It is only a small section of the whole road which from the pic also runs its full length alongside the canal.

If unpreventable you would expect some movement to have occurred at other locations as well.

Changes in moisture content of soil can cause issues, especially clay based soils that expand and contract more than sand based soils.

In this case, there may have been a localised abnormality not known about during construction but the more likely cause is either 'one size fits all' engineering or a local land owner is disposing of some type of waste water under the road and the pipes have failed or similar.

It is hard to see from the picture but the soil directly under the road base seems nothing more than dirt and reddish clay both which would be considered an inadequate road base material.

You gotta love TV there is an expert ready for comment on any subject.

do to the numbers of expats that might very well be true.

You are correct, fact is there are many experts on a wide range of subjects here, trouble is there are too many who's only expertise is bitching and moaning.

Takes one to know one I think ...whistling.gif and please dont forget the expert-thaiapologizers

Needed a tree in the middle of it so the roots could hold it together.

bho1.jpg

bodtree.jpg

After 10 years here, there's still not a day goes by that I don't wonder about how the Thai mind actually works.

coffee1.gif

If it wasn't Thailand you'd say it was photo shopped. unbelievable Geoff.

They'll have to build a bypass now, more kickbacks etc etc

Needed a tree in the middle of it so the roots could hold it together.

bho1.jpg

bodtree.jpg

After 10 years here, there's still not a day goes by that I don't wonder about how the Thai mind actually works.

coffee1.gif

If it wasn't Thailand you'd say it was photo shopped. unbelievable Geoff.

They'll have to build a bypass now, more kickbacks etc etc

Great photo!!

I laughed but excellent post on topic. I love the fact that apart from not going around the tree, there is not even a shoulder allowed for to accommodate the tree in the confines of a conventional road.

And the storm water does not seem troubled with roots et al! Love it.

• 2 weeks later...

Engineers ??!

I'm looking after this word in my thai encyclopedic dictionary ( 32 volumes ) but cannot find it ;

Is it normal Dr Watson ? cheesy.gif

Buy yourself a decent Oxford River Books, English - Thai Dictionary, only 1,078 pages.