Prayut turns up heat on crooked civil servants

webfact

Prayut turns up heat on crooked civil servants
Wasamon Audjarint
The Nation

30264460-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha revealed during yesterday's Cabinet meeting his impatience over the lack of progress of the corruption probe of high-ranking civil servants and he called for a single, shared database on corruption for all ministries.

Maj-General Sansern Kaewkamnerd, the deputy government spokesperson, said Prayut requested that the investigation of high-ranking servants be speeded up to avoid public criticism.

Prayut earlier used his powers under Article 44 to move some civil servants with the ranks of C8 and higher to work at the centre as they were considered potentially corrupt. His action came after he received reports on corruption from National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC), Office of Public Sector Anti-Corruption Commission (PACC) and Office of the Auditor General (OAG).

Prayut also has concerns over delicacy of the investigations, Sansern added, and he originally had not wished to hurry them. However, the PM later said he hoped they would not be too slow to avoid public doubts over the investigations.

Civil servants of lower ranks are also a concern. However, they will remain in their positions as the government considers them only minor actors.

Sansern said they received only a few corruption reports involving middle-ranked and low-ranked officers. Thus, it was agreed in the meeting that all ministries should share their information to create a single database on corruption cases for more efficient anti-corruption actions.

"Some ministries have gathered information to create such a database [on corruption]. However, they haven't had a chance to use them as part of the investigation yet," said Sansern, adding that by uniting all databases, the information would be more accessible and more useful for investigators.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Prayut-turns-up-heat-on-crooked-civil-servants-30264460.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-07-15

Quit your trumpet blowing, Prayut.

It's time to name names, cite the charges and their extent, get the accused into court and get the whole thing in the media from start to finish.

Or is this just too big to handle without implicating many, many other powerful and connected people?

Now world famous for his unchanging constipated expression, he's finally trying a new look:

"What smell? It wasn't me."

Almost pulled it off, too.

It would be pricey, but he really needs to takes lessons on facial expressions from this guy:

post-160749-0-35079200-1436920179_thumb.

Thing is this guy is at least going after corruption. YL on the other hand wanted to let 26.000 cases (among those the fake rice deals from her own ministers) getting of without punishment.

At least here things are done.. no more statute of limitation and so on. I have seen more work on corruption from this government then any other.

(and it still is not enough in my opinion but its far more as all others did combined)

For the record on a personal level I don't like the general, he is grumpy and a PR disaster.

Going after big fish in the Public Service is not likely to get as many results as people would like because those involved probably have so much dirt on recent politicians of all persuasions as to be almost untouchable. Take the case of ex TAT governor Juthamas for example, who seems to have been not only protected against prosecution locally but also extradition to the USA. For me, if they were to start the clean-up in not only the civil service but also the police from the bottom up and offer rewards and anonymity for whistle-blowers we may see better and long lasting results.

LOL...perfect time here to send down one of those investigating these public servants....They can come undercover and see for themselves, what they are up against.....

Apart from that...They are still doing what they said they would from the start, in my opinion...

Now world famous for his unchanging constipated expression, he's finally trying a new look:

"What smell? It wasn't me."

Almost pulled it off, too.

It would be pricey, but he really needs to takes lessons on facial expressions from this guy:

What an excellent and very typical comment from a Junta critic.

Shouldn't you be at school though with the other 5 year olds ?.

Great photocheesy.gif

I was going to upload a photoshop that highlights the uncanny resemblance of the Dear General to the late British comedian Sir Norman Wisdom (google his photos).

But after making the photo, I decided that it was maybe a bit too near the truth - I don't want to end up in jail!

What a crock. And, why do they always just MOVE the corrupt person? That Office of Inactive Posts Staffed by the Corrupt must be getting huge. FIRE him or her and then throw them in jail. And there's plenty of corruption in the lower ranks, too. Just check out the staff parking lot at the Jomtien Land Office. But, same story everywhere.

Why not turn up the heat on the other segment of government employees - the military?

But I'm sure that like his statement that no military could be involved in human trafficking, he will claim no military would be involved in corruption.

Prayut is on a mission - make sure that there can be no one who can hold the military accountable for its actions while he investigates everyone else.

Put heat on middle level with enough force to rat out upper level. How many crime shows have we seen where deals are worked with foot soldiers in order to catch the big fish? Take away the foot soldiers and a general ain't nothing but a GI with some fancy trim.

It's time to name names, cite the charges and their extent, get the accused into court and get the whole thing in the media from start to finish.

Or is this just too big to handle without implicating many, many other powerful and connected people?

Well not quite. The problem is that even if Prayut names people who are corrupt then under Thai laws of Slander and Defamation (which are the strictest in the world!), those people he names will successfully slap class actions on him. Class actions for such things not only carry large fines but also come under criminal law and carry custodial sentences as well.

The first thing Prayut needs to do is get rid of the ridiculous laws concerning defamation etc, and also impose a principle of one people-one law and remove the immunity of MP's from the law. THEN he can start naming names and the corrupt will tumble like a house of cards in the wind. It is all a question of does he really want to do this, or is it just for show. The solution is easy if they really mean it.

Well not quite. The problem is that even if Prayut names people who are corrupt then under Thai laws of Slander and Defamation (which are the strictest in the world!), those people he names will successfully slap class actions on him. Class actions for such things not only carry large fines but also come under criminal law and carry custodial sentences as well.

The first thing Prayut needs to do is get rid of the ridiculous laws concerning defamation etc, and also impose a principle of one people-one law and remove the immunity of MP's from the law. THEN he can start naming names and the corrupt will tumble like a house of cards in the wind. It is all a question of does he really want to do this, or is it just for show. The solution is easy if they really mean it.

yes fixing that ridiculous law would benefit Thailand a lot. Actually reverse the law, if someone can proof some corruption in public he should get a percentage of the money.

He can't keep meaningless laws and complain that there is no progress. Make some laws that really bite and a anti corruption division, can be police or army or revenue department who get a commission on every case.

Oh dear, one third of the Thai population would be either jailed or executed.

That's how widespread corruption is in this country.

True and its probably more than 1/3 but just start with the 250,000 RTP - put them to prison, they dont do any work anyway since extorting innocent people is not considered "Work" ...

Thing is this guy is at least going after corruption. YL on the other hand wanted to let 26.000 cases (among those the fake rice deals from her own ministers) getting of without punishment.

At least here things are done.. no more statute of limitation and so on. I have seen more work on corruption from this government then any other.

(and it still is not enough in my opinion but its far more as all others did combined)

For the record on a personal level I don't like the general, he is grumpy and a PR disaster.

Strange that. Your posts give the impression that you think the sun shines out of his rissole.

Archived