U-Tapao could be renamed U-Tapao Pattaya airport

webfact

U-Tapao could be renamed U-Tapao Pattaya airport

ut.jpg

File photo. Source: Internet

BANGKOK:-- U-Tapao airport in Rayong province could be renamed U-Tapao Pattaya airport under new plans announced by Thailand’s minister for tourism and sports.

According to Minister Kobkarn, including ‘Pattaya’ in the name would be helpful to tourists arriving at the airport, as Pattaya is already a well known to tourists throughout the world, reports Daily News.

Despite predominantly being used as a military airport, U-Tapao is currently undergoing major commercial expansion, which will result in the airport being used to ease congestion at Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi airport.

The construction of a new passenger terminal, due to open in June 2016, will raise the current capacity of U-Tapao from 800,000 passengers to 5 million passengers per year by 2020.

Currently U-Tapao handles around 120,000 passengers per year from charter flights mainly arriving from Russia and China.

However, local operator Kan Air had been using U-Tapao to serve domestic flights to Chiang Mai, Ubon Ratchathani, Udon Thani, and Don Mueang.

In May, AirAsia announced the launch of KL-Pattaya flights which are due to commence from tomorrow (July 16).

U-Tapao is approximately 140 km southeast of Bangkok and is about a 45 minute drive from Pattaya.

tvn.png
-- 2015-07-15

Cant see that, it is not even in the same province.

As i understood it, it is to be known as U-Tapao International airport.

even though it's in Rayong it's 36km from the state capital and 38km from Pattaya although I would think it's closer to the outskirts of Pattaya than the outskirts of Rayong. bring on the expansion and rail link so I don't have to go to swampy unless I need to, I could go through KL for work if I needed to, would rather change at KL with hand luggage than the 2 hour journey to swampy with the road works and chaotic traffic. I see google have already renamed it ..

Utapao-Rayong-Pataya International Airport
Pla
Ban Chang
Rayong
Thailand
Edited by sandrabbit

It's been years since I drove that, but it seems like it was about an hour and a half drive. Just seems like that's a little far away. Isn't there a small plane airport near Pattaya? I used to have a friend who flew his own plane in Thailand and I think he used to go from Hua Hin to Pattaya. Does Pattaya *really* need an International Airport? Come ti think of it U-Tapao IS closer to Pattaya than Don Muang, but ...

The 331 is having all trees etc removed at the moment and a 4 lane carriageway is in the process IE land filling etc. U Tapou to Pattaya will be more like 25 mins within the year. There is also local talk of a new train station close to Kilo 10 Sattahip. Very close to the airport, this will be a stop between the new Pattaya Rayong line.

I moved this way to get away from the holiday town perhaps I'll have to move again. Things happen so fast here!

It's been years since I drove that, but it seems like it was about an hour and a half drive. Just seems like that's a little far away. Isn't there a small plane airport near Pattaya? I used to have a friend who flew his own plane in Thailand and I think he used to go from Hua Hin to Pattaya. Does Pattaya *really* need an International Airport? Come ti think of it U-Tapao IS closer to Pattaya than Don Muang, but ...

Yep, there is still a light aircraft runway and a few out-houses operating - it's on the road left after you cross the traffic lights in Ban Ampur - just before you get to Phoenix Golf. Seems to be popular launching site for utra-lites

Pattaya International Airport would be best for an International ID

As I live in the area, the 30min drive to get to the bus station in Najomtien, 1h40-50 min on the Pattaya- Suavanabumi express bus then a two hour wait (i.e.+4 hrs) compared to a 10 min drive and then a 1h 30 min wait at a not so busy airport will be excellent!

It's already know by that name.....you clicked on it when you opened this article.

Good for me though, I have a house near it in Bang Saray/Sattahip.

his will be a stop between the new Pattaya Rayong line.

Should I mention that this planned railway link (Bangkok Rayong Map Taphut) is cancelled/postponed?

Maybe rethink in 10 years or so.

Another bubble burst.

If you believe this source whistling.gif

http://pattayatoday.net/news/latest-edition/pattaya-rail-project-delayed-%E2%80%9Cby-years%E2%80%9D/

Kan Air: they had to cancel all flights because they did not operate on proper flight permissions, but mocked the flights as charter flights and "got caught" rolleyes.gif

Whether and when they will have proper permissions is unclear (to me).

Edited by KhunBENQ

even though it's in Rayong it's 36km from the state capital and 38km from Pattaya although I would think it's closer to the outskirts of Pattaya than the outskirts of Rayong. bring on the expansion and rail link so I don't have to go to swampy unless I need to, I could go through KL for work if I needed to, would rather change at KL with hand luggage than the 2 hour journey to swampy with the road works and chaotic traffic. I see google have already renamed it ..

Utapao-Rayong-Pataya International Airport
Pla
Ban Chang
Rayong
Thailand

I live on the North side of Pattaya and close to the motorway/Hwy 36.

Swampy is far preferable and likely quicker for me.

I would need to take the dog-leg of 331/Hwy36 from there.(Hwy 36 is dangerous)

The current tunnel construction will be another 2 years so Sukhumvit isn't an option for a while, it isn't a good one anyhow as there are plenty of bottle-necks before you get to Pattaya.

Perhaps move to Bang Saray eh?

I guess they are getting desperate - it has not been that many years that Pattaya has appeared on maps and road signs.

I've been seeing road signs for 30 years however they don't seem to be able to agree on the Romanized spelling. I've seen quite a few different versions over the years.

I guess they are getting desperate - it has not been that many years that Pattaya has appeared on maps and road signs.

I've been seeing road signs for 30 years however they don't seem to be able to agree on the Romanized spelling. I've seen quite a few different versions over the years.

I can't remember one sign if you come down from the NE through prachinburi - even the road off the 304 through Pong is only signposted as Banglamung and not Pattaya.

I can't remember one sign if you come down from the NE through prachinburi - even the road off the 304 through Pong is only signposted as Banglamung and not Pattaya.

Not actually done that route. I was thinking of the more traveled tourist route Bangkok to Pattaya along Highway 3. Or at least it was the more traveled until Motorway 7 was built.

At least the runways don't have, nor ever had cracks, as it was built by the US.

Last time I used it (5 years ago), it took me about the same time as to drive to Swampy. I went to Phuket for 3 days.

Aside from the rude Russians, I liked the place. It was "quaint".

The military tried to turn me back at the gate, but let me through when I showed them my printed ticket (that I could have made in MS Word). I also told them in Thai "I go Phuket. I go airplane, khap".

There wasn't a single car in the parking lot. Just a couple Russian tour buses.

I found a shady spot & left my truck there. Now, I have NEVER parked at an airport before without having to pay, but this looked like it'd be free.

Free parking, ANYWHERE, in Thailand??? I was flabbergasted!!!

I got back a few days later & was about to make my getaway, when some rogue taps on my window.

He asked how long I had been parked there. I said "Nung wan" 1 day......OK 50 baht.

================

I once left my truck at the quaint little airport in Gainseville Florida for about 6 weeks once. The bill was almost $1,000 USD.

Expense report! Boss paid it.

Edited by jaywalker