Radio operators in hot water for blocking Prayut's show

webfact

Listen to the man lose your radio station.

It is of course feasible as to why his show has not been aired in those provinces being that they are RED controlled. The reds would not want their people to see any kind of progress or hope unless it was them offering it.

Maybe. However, if you know Thais, money takes precedence. The radio stations are most likely losing revenue because they can't sell advertising during the broadcasts. People are turning off their radios and not turning them back on. Why run the broadcasts if it's a losing proposition?

It costs money to run a radio or TV station. Some of the radio stations are just getting by. If they lose advertising revenue it hurts.

The issue isn't restricted to the regions referenced, It's all over. The private media outlets don't have the benefit of the army radio station or TV station's budgets.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whistling.gif Be realistic.

If I had a transmitter and deliberately jammed the British Prime Minister's speech to Parliament, I would face prosecution for interfering with that broadcast.

Same in Thailand, or any country in The Eurozone.

Interfering with a legitimate radio or television broadcast is an illegal act.

Are you certain the radio stations are disrupting the transmissions? My understanding is that they simply were not carrying the show.

Why block it? If people don't want to listen to it because it is boring (unless you actively want to avoid people listening to it) just use the time to gain some knowledge by reading a book or spend quality time with your kids and family.

Blocking and not relaying/broadcasting are two different activities. Thailand's censors blocks Thais from accessing the Daily Mail newspaper. The radio stations are not carrying the broadcasts on their stations. The radio broadcasts are available on the Army controlled outlets. People are free to listen if they want. Otherwise, local programming such as farm reports, sports coverage, talk radio, music etc. continues.

the Reds would do whatever it takes to avoid there supporters to hear the truth, the government point of view.

Reds don't need reconciliation. they need people's hatred.

all red stations should be shut and there owners banned to take part in media business for life.

There you go. That's the attitude that will make this country move forward!!!

One side is bad and the other side is good - it's all black and white!blink.png

keep your moral relativism for yourself. "any conflict is a both side's fault" "world is not black and white" - we know this kind of ranting

in some situation one side is right and another is wrong. and only those indoctrinated by degrading left ideas would not admit this.

"wolfhound is right but man-eater is wrong"

My comments are not caused by a belief in strict moral relativism. But if you're so blind you can't see that no side in this conflict is a shining example of morality then....well, 'nuff said.

Degrading left ideas? What ideas are you referring to? Are you trolling??cheesy.gif

I occasionally watch the good General's TV broadcasts and, maybe something gets lost on the English subtitles, but imho they are just gibberish. Full of please listen to us, help us do this, please comply to what we are asking!!! They are lacking in any kind of "hard" policy and if I were someone who had to be convinced by his musings then sorry I wouldn't be. Mind you I was never swayed by what UK politicians had to say either so maybe I am biased. Also he is not a convincing person either ... he has no charisma and no presence so his words are inconsequential. He is just someone who is trying to convert from an Army General into a politician and not making a very good job of it. The longer he continues to try and put down any kind of "free" reporting (a la Foreign journalists being given a hard time getting their Work Permits) and threatening "attitude adjustment" (what the hell is that anyway) he will not convince anyone.

Problem is they were brainwashing the reds long before Prayut ever came to be. So now that they have to air a show that will deprogram their minions they refuse.

Deprogram or re-brainwash??

I would say deprogram, takes far longer to brainwash. To brainwash you first have to deprogram (but that might be the ultimate goal).

But reds supporters should not complain too much as I never saw them make problems when they were in charge of the brainwashing.

- You mean, like airing long programs on all TV channels daily, weekly for over a year?

- I'm not a red supporter. I'm just truly amazed at the group of westerners from democratic countries being cheerleaders for the current administration.

Because before there was no democracy, so it does not matter much now. This is better as before. Not a perfect situation but anyone calling the previous government democratic is crazy.

Yes you are right the reds did the same as Prayut is doing now. Then there was no protest about it and now there is. That is hypocritical from the red supporters.

I would say both programs are crazy. But after all the damage that was done before by the red programs this MIGHT counter it a bit.

Listen to the man lose your radio station.

It is of course feasible as to why his show has not been aired in those provinces being that they are RED controlled. The reds would not want their people to see any kind of progress or hope unless it was them offering it.

Maybe. However, if you know Thais, money takes precedence. The radio stations are most likely losing revenue because they can't sell advertising during the broadcasts. People are turning off their radios and not turning them back on. Why run the broadcasts if it's a losing proposition?

It costs money to run a radio or TV station. Some of the radio stations are just getting by. If they lose advertising revenue it hurts.

The issue isn't restricted to the regions referenced, It's all over. The private media outlets don't have the benefit of the army radio station or TV station's budgets.

So in your view, making a few baht takes precedence over trying to move the country forward and hopefully with gains for all Thais.

the Reds would do whatever it takes to avoid there supporters to hear the truth, the government point of view.

all red stations should be shut and there owners banned to take part in media business for life.

Where did you learn the meaning of democracy ? Was it while you were a member of the KGB or maybe the SD ?

"Nobody is forced to listen to a radio program."

"These broadcasts are freedom of speech."

It is not that military-owned Channel 5 broadcasts aired from Bangkok are being blocked (like jamming electronic signals). It is rather its signal not being carried by other privately-owned radio stations to other parts of the country. There is a difference.

Channel 5 is financed by the Thai Government. Private stations are financed by private and commercial sponsors. People can choose not to listen but the station pays for the broadcast. And the Junta has placed severe limits on freedom of speech except with itself. To force broadcast time for Junta ideology without allowing a balance of opposing ideology violates the spirit of freedom of speech.

Prayut is likely requiring privately funded stations to pre-empt its paying customers to carry his propoganda without profitbale compensation. He is also requiring the stations to substitute their own scheduled programming with Prayut's program.

Prayut's threat is an abortion of freedom of expression and free enterprise.

farang answers here and other politics-related topics is a perfect explanation why Thailand so reluctantly grants citizenship to foreigners.

This country simply does not need citizen like you, pals!

You keep on entertaining - lol!

keep your moral relativism for yourself. "any conflict is a both side's fault" "world is not black and white" - we know this kind of ranting

in some situation one side is right and another is wrong. and only those indoctrinated by degrading left ideas would not admit this.

My comments are not caused by a belief in strict moral relativism. But if you're so blind you can't see that no side in this conflict is a shining example of morality then....well, 'nuff said.

Degrading left ideas? What ideas are you referring to? Are you trolling??cheesy.gif

Don't feed the fascist troll...

"Reds don't need reconciliation. they need peoples hatred."

"Reds don't need reconciliation, they need peoples hatred."

Keep your bigoted bias revelation to yourself... The owners of the radio stations (should) have the right to put out on air as they please be they red yellow or green.

"All red stations should be shut down and there {their} owners banned to take part in media business for life"

Think you need to get out a little more mate, like off ya bar stool for a start, and maybe get a few English lessons.

I know many kind considerate open minded free thinking "RED'S", probably just as many yellow supporters as well.

"Nobody is forced to listen to a radio program."

"These broadcasts are freedom of speech."

It is not that military-owned Channel 5 broadcasts aired from Bangkok are being blocked (like jamming electronic signals). It is rather its signal not being carried by other privately-owned radio stations to other parts of the country. There is a difference.

Channel 5 is financed by the Thai Government. Private stations are financed by private and commercial sponsors. People can choose not to listen but the station pays for the broadcast. And the Junta has placed severe limits on freedom of speech except with itself. To force broadcast time for Junta ideology without allowing a balance of opposing ideology violates the spirit of freedom of speech.

Prayut is likely requiring privately funded stations to pre-empt its paying customers to carry his propoganda without profitbale compensation. He is also requiring the stations to substitute their own scheduled programming with Prayut's program.

Prayut's threat is an abortion of freedom of expression and free enterprise.

You are quite correct, the government requires to carry their material if and when required. I think you will find that is a requirement of their transmission licence, not only here but in many real democracies. Public safety announcements, storm warnings, PM/presidential announcements are all routinely broadcast, not necessarily with compensation. If they do not wish to transmit government material, they are quite free to hand in their licence.

But it is only here it becomes an abortion, mainly due to POV.

"Reds don't need reconciliation. they need peoples hatred."

"Reds don't need reconciliation, they need peoples hatred."

Keep your bigoted bias revelation to yourself... The owners of the radio stations (should) have the right to put out on air as they please be they red yellow or green.

"All red stations should be shut down and there {their} owners banned to take part in media business for life"

Think you need to get out a little more mate, like off ya bar stool for a start, and maybe get a few English lessons.

I know many kind considerate open minded free thinking "RED'S", probably just as many yellow supporters as well.

are you trying to use my grammar mistake (instead of real arguments) to discredit my point of view? do you really believe that you are right because you are a native English-speaker?

Anglo-Saxon superiority idea as it is...

radio-stations operate in Thailand and should obey Thai law.

Edited by TimmyT

Land of the free...

well exactly, air it and people have a choice to tune in or not

at least he is making an effort to be open and inform the people of what they are doing - unlike previous governments who spent most of their time deflecting the public with lies and deception while they were busy stuffing their bank accounts

What's next, making it compulsory to listen ?

Obviously that's stupid which is why it may just be tried. Looks like the money saved from the subs deal will be needed to expand AA centres.

Are there that many alcoholics in Thailand?

Deprogram or re-brainwash??

I would say deprogram, takes far longer to brainwash. To brainwash you first have to deprogram (but that might be the ultimate goal).

But reds supporters should not complain too much as I never saw them make problems when they were in charge of the brainwashing.

- You mean, like airing long programs on all TV channels daily, weekly for over a year?

- I'm not a red supporter. I'm just truly amazed at the group of westerners from democratic countries being cheerleaders for the current administration.

Because before there was no democracy, so it does not matter much now. This is better as before. Not a perfect situation but anyone calling the previous government democratic is crazy.

Yes you are right the reds did the same as Prayut is doing now. Then there was no protest about it and now there is. That is hypocritical from the red supporters.

I would say both programs are crazy. But after all the damage that was done before by the red programs this MIGHT counter it a bit.

The previous government was democratically elected, based on generally fair elections, as confirmed by international observers. Was there vote buying? Sure, but if you think that the north and north-east would have voted differently just because some of them got paid then you don't understand the root causes of this conflict (I cannot elaborate due to the strict limitations in freedom of expression currently in force).

Suffice to say that Thaksin (purely for selfish reasons) awoke a sleeping giant (peasant population in the north and north east) and (forgive me for mixing metaphors) the genie cannot be put back into the bottle - no matter the amount of attitude adjustment.

Despite all my misgivings I had hopes that the current PM could do some good for the country, but my final hope died when he declared that he would not take on the job of reforming the police (probably one of the most pressing tasks LOS faces) and instead go after low hanging fruit like the state lottery.

'The National Council for Peace and Order may also take the operators inside military camps to have their attitudes adjusted.' I do love that term. It infers technical maintenance in the form of knob twiddling. I trust they realise they can't adjust the attitudes of us who get mightily tired of these talk shows interfering with more interesting programmes. And Prayuth should realise that all political TV whitterers receive the same short shrift from viewers.

Thank goodness there are rational voices of reason like yours to put us all right, eh.

Many radio stations were closed in May last year 1: because they had no license and 2: because they were broadcasting drivel worthy of the Soviet Union at its worst. They were at the source of much of the disturbance at that time.

I don't know anybody that watches regularly on TV and I'm pretty sure nobody listens on the radio either.

Will you stop confusing 'Reds' with communists? They are or were, a party that was opposed to the Yingluck regime. I imagine that it is mostly Yanks that make this conclusion.

Buriram is mentioned in the OP. People up here don't give a damn about what those crazy folks down in Bangkok are doing, they are more worried whether it is going to rain or not.

I believe that you can survive a general election in the UK without ever seeing a party political broadcast.

Thank goodness there are rational voices of reason like yours to put us all right, eh.

thank you. I knew that finally you will agree with me!

Quite probably, a pro-government soldier (one of the officers that paid for his rank) walked by a barracks where the conscripted and enlisted men live, heard music during the Power Hour Happiness Show, and complained. Shows how often officers mix with soldiers and/or officers mix with the population that more than a year went by without them noticing. Also a great commendation for military intelligence to boot.

I can't blame him for complaining. Those low ranking soldiers never paid a dime to stay where they are. blink.png

Resume rants.

Edited by FangFerang

"The NBTC and the army discovered that 250 radio stations in Nakhon Ratchasima and Buriram provinces failed to relay the broadcast signal of Prayut's weekly show, called "Returning Happiness to the Thai People".

I wonder how they founded out,

do you think someone finally complained about not being able to hear the broadcast a year after they began?

I'm sure if they knew what the broadcasts were like they would not have complained about not hearing them. clap2.gif

farang answers here and other politics-related topics is a perfect explanation why Thailand so reluctantly grants citizenship to foreigners.

This country simply does not need citizen like you, pals!

troll score 1/10

The National Council for Peace and Order may also take the operators inside military camps to have their attitudes adjusted.

That'll do the trick...

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Hey General, maybe these radio operators don't "feel the love"....

Stay tuned! Attitude adjustment phase two. Coming soon to a village near you.

c0c6629b-1226-47bb-80f3-4ba38fe685e3_zps