Is a hatred of Thailand and Thais part of being an expat?

krisb

I've been hanging around this forum (for free) since 2012. I'm a newbie.

I've been here long enough to see there's so much whining amongst so many here about how Thailand is a doomed country, it's all misery, the people are just out to rip me off, the education stinks, hospitals are terrible, my pension is ruined because exchange rates are Crap, the national park screwed me before I even got to the pay box because I'm white, the service in every shop is pathetic because they play on their phones, .....

Time for a paragraph,

The visa place makes us wait outside, I can't speak Thai but they dont speak English or even better, they don't speak German even though I speak German really clearly,

My electrician sucks, my earth cable isn't 2 metres long, my hot water isn't hot, the postman stole my mail again, Thai drivers can't drive, bus drivers can't drive, Thai planes aren't safe, Thai taxis overcharge that's if they'll drive out to Lat Krabang.

Anyway, just wondering if Thailand is ok for a holiday, and if so can you tell me a place where none of you will be because your negativity is awful.

Anywhere where misery can't find me will suffice.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hatred of everything is part of being an expat.

That's why they left their home country (hatred of their home country).

('hatred' may be a bit too strong, 'dislike' may be a better word to use)

Edited by MaeJoMTB

So it's a vicious circle, misery is infectious perhaps?

Sad because life's so short.

Will say the expats I do know here actually are a good bunch and haven't posted any spiteful or heated threads, so far.

I'll say 50% will at some point.

Not naming names.

Your mate, Krisb.

Anyway, just wondering if Thailand is ok for a holiday, and if so can you tell me a place where none of you will be because your negativity is awful.

You're attacking every single ThaiVisa member with this broad generalisation????

There are things we are not happy about in any country, however, this forum is about Thailand, it's only natural that there is something we have a whinge about, after all, do you (or anyone else) believe Thailand is perfect??

There are plenty of positive threads, especially the food threads, Photo threads etc...

There is also a dark and extremely negative side to Thailand, some of the discussions have been extremely helpful, for providing information and also as evidence how screwed up 'some' of the posters and their opinions are.

There are many people on this forum I'm sure I'd get along with very well in person, there are others who are simply idiotic and depressingly negative about everything...

People who are well balanced appear so in their writing even when something negative is being discussed.

Will say the expats I do know here actually are a good bunch and haven't posted any spiteful or heated threads, so far.

I'll say 50% will at some point.

Not naming names.

Your mate, Krisb.

If that fellah we know doesnt get that tooth out soon....he might start angry threads...cheesy.gif

nah, hatred works just fine .....if youre talking about the uk.....

It is forum about Thailand so that is what ppl are going to talk about. People are more likely to post about something that bothers them rather than something that happened as expected - that is what Facebook is for apparently...

As for the good things, there are some positive posts out there but one side of the lifestyle here that gets a lot of positive reviews we are not allowed to talk about.

How about cutting some slack? Perhaps some could live better hare than in the home country on the limited retirement income.

Those who want Thailand to be "just like home" will always hate it.

Thailand is Thailand and not like where they came from, and never will be.

I am grateful for that.

I came here for a change, not more of the same.

I think most of us get frustrated at times about things we have difficulty understanding or adapting to,

But hate? No.

Any fool who chooses to live in a place he hates, is just that, a fool.

Edited by willyumiii

If you think about it closely, you might find that most discussion boards are full of complaining, no matter what country or subject matter it is about. But you are pretty much spot on, as the old saying goes " Some people will bitch at a picnic."

I think it's time for PIZZA. coffee1.gif

None for you, it's fattening.

Thanks so much for caring. Bless your heart, darlin'.

I do care, it's why I said it.

No pizza here either. Next week I'm trying paleo.

Thailand.

It's better than NORTH KOREA any day of the week.

The tourism authority is welcome to have that slogan free of charge.

Overall, the very topic of this transparently baiting thread reminds of the pablum-brained toadies that are always complaining that news shows only report negative stories and don't spend the entire time reporting about puppies being rescued from sewers.

Edited by Jingthing

i think part of the problem is that many farangs find themselves in isolation. Their wife being the only english speaker in the village and they often pretend to understand just to keep the peace... so forums like this are the only place to vent frustrations...

I think another part of the problem is that we take a lot for granted in our own countries.

We have seen a steady inflation of costs and a steady decline in almost everything else... and what we don't appreciate is that although we have seen a decline in our own countries, they are still a long way off what we get in a developing country.

We leave the home country to get more for our money. But we never really get more for our money. We get a different balance for our money. Some things good and some things bad.

In a developing country everything is a challenge. Everything.

It's about survival.

Should the government put the welfare of it's poverty stricken nationals before the welfare of a wealthy foreigner. Of course it should.

If the balance of benefits no longer outweighs the balance of annoyances, then it's time to move on, but that is a very hard decision to make.

Another problem is that you have a lot of time to sit around thinking and festering

It's fun to make jokes about. But if Thai antics and ineptitude really bother you. Then this just is not the place to live.

Everything with a grain of salt and common sense for me.

Thailand.

It's better than NORTH KOREA any day of the week.

The tourism authority is welcome to have that slogan free of charge.

Overall, the very topic of this transparently baiting thread reminds of the pablum-brained toadies that are always complaining that news shows only report negative stories and don't spend the entire time reporting about puppies being rescued from sewers.

Puppies from the sewers, jeez, good one for tescos next year mothers day campaign.

And who's calling who transparent? You started a thread baiting any or every single shop in Thailand! No names of course, but an address will do fine. Sheesh.

Next holiday to Thailand I'll work my accommodation out by eliminating every shop that sucks and plan from there.

It is not legal to name and shame specific businesses in Thailand even if what you are reporting is veritably the truth. You can get in legal trouble for that. You can be accused of losing the business money and forced to compensate them. Actual expats actually KNOW that.

This is sometimes the trouble with tourists thinking they have a clue about what it's like to actually live in Thailand. That's impossible.

Next ...

Edited by Jingthing

I love Thailand and its people I came out here 50 years ago to work in Bangkok and I made many wonderful Thai friends,some of them have done very well and are in high positions, some did not. I never have any problems in Thailand because I always have friends to help me out whenever I need anything, just the same as my friends would help me out in another country.. When I went abroad for a while many of them came and stayed with me. They were real friends. I don't live in farang ghettos, I eat Thai food and I have wonderful life. My expat friends are much the same and have mostly Thai friends.
People who complain on this forum venting their hatred against Thailand and Thais probably never even tried to fit in or make friends with the locals. They live here just because it's cheaper than their own country and a better climate and they can find female company. Many of them are so ugly that no decent looking woman would look at them in their own country.

It is not legal to name and shame specific businesses in Thailand even if what you are reporting is veritably the truth. You can get in legal trouble for that. You can be accused of losing the business money and forced to compensate them. Actual expats actually KNOW that.

This is sometimes the trouble with tourists thinking they have a clue about what it's like to actually live in Thailand. That's impossible.

Next ...

I'm curious, which area of Thailand you call home then Jingthing?

You just about covered it the way it's going krisb...sadly most of it is true.

If you want to holiday in a place like you want...may I suggest FIJI, Hawaii, Great Barrier Reefsmile.png ....

or avoid the expats, like I do, and have a wonderful time meetingThais, eating Thai food and enjoying the beautiful country