Thaksin rank revocation: National police chief threatens media with lawsuits

webfact

So the national police chief thinks that his reputation can be damaged by the press saying what everyone (except the reds) is thinking? What a pathetic little man he is.

yes a pathetic little yellow man so your 'red' allusion is wrong as this guy is the yellows National Police Chief did you forget that?

If he was Thaksin his rank would have been gone.. looks far more that he is doing a Tarit.

The guy is dragging his feet big time, and the other posters who said that Thaksin would not care if he lost it are wrong. If that was the case this guy would not have dragged his feet. Loosing his rank is an other blow to his ego and should be done.

But the problem is not this guy, the problem is Prayut. He should have told him, that he has 2 weeks time to get it done or he get kicked out for being corrupt, including loosing the pension, get a full investigation about his funds and properties and loose his police rank.

With this kindergarten approach Prayut won't get anything done and in a couple of years we have the next Shinawatra as PM.

The same counts for the big corruption cases, nothing is moving forward because some influential people are blocking things.

Not sure what he thinks his reputation is.... After his tinkering with the koh tao case it sank to a disgustingly low level, and when he tried his hand with stock trading it put most people's head into a spin to wonder where on earth he could have amassed such substantial sums on the side. The guy certainly appears to have a lot of skeletons in the closet and when he threatens the media for scrutinising him it can't help but raise a few suspicions

I see so many articles on TV and other news outlets in regards to the stripping of Thaksin's rank, but have yet to read one single article on what progress the current government has made in regards to reconciliation. Priorities are all mixed up.

Acts like stripping Thaksin of his rank IS the reconciliation in the minds of those currently running the show. A curious definition of the word 'reconciliation' to be sure, but there you go...

Somyot said certain media had been excessively critical of him, and threatened to sue them if it damaged his reputation.

free press in Thailand anyone?

I think not...

To compare again, there never was a free press in Thaksin era, all press and TV were strictly controlled-------look it up.

Press is free up to the point that fear of damages is easy here as money talks, But it is free to a certain extent. There are no camps that people are taken to that go against the government or you would be the first inmate.

look it up, what a great idea.

2004 - middle of the 'Thaksin era", as you put it, was the best ranking (59th) for press freedom that Thailand has had in the last 15 years.

Now it is 130th...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Press_Freedom_Index

There are no camps that people are taken to...

You've not been awake for the last 15 months, have you? whistling.gif

I am sure Thaksin is following this and having great belly laughs with his friends over breakfast. He could probably care less if they strip him of his rank... but so much fun to watch Keystone Kops running around trying to cover their backsides.

It looks like the chief is very afraid to make the move by himself ... even though he has full power to do so. He keeps saying he wants others to make the decision and then he'll carry out "their orders."

Perhaps Thaksin still wields much more power in Thailand than I thought.

It looks like the chief is very afraid to make the move by himself ... even though he has full power to do so. He keeps saying he wants others to make the decision and then he'll carry out "their orders."

Perhaps Thaksin still wields much more power in Thailand than I thought.

Light dawns over marble head. Like any other mafiosi don, T has strings to pull in Thailand that will survive as long as he lives, no matter what hole he finds to crawl into. If a drug lord can run his syndicate from a max security prison cell, T can certainly do it from a penthouse suite/floor in Dubai.

I see so many articles on TV and other news outlets in regards to the stripping of Thaksin's rank, but have yet to read one single article on what progress the current government has made in regards to reconciliation. Priorities are all mixed up.

Acts like stripping Thaksin of his rank IS the reconciliation in the minds of those currently running the show. A curious definition of the word 'reconciliation' to be sure, but there you go...

Yes, I am beginning to realize that when the Ultra-Rightists/Junta speak of reconciliation, they really mean that the masses should reconcile themselves to another hundred years of feudal rule.

Article 44 gives Prayut absolute power so invoke it and strip Thaksin of his rank and be done with it.

Yes, and that would be "legal" as well. Seems like the perfect situation for Article 44?

Edited by bamnutsak

Yes, I am beginning to realize that when the Ultra-Rightists/Junta speak of reconciliation, they really mean that the masses should reconcile themselves to another hundred years of feudal rule.

Article 44 gives Prayut absolute power so invoke it and strip Thaksin of his rank and be done with it.

Yes, and that would be "legal" as well. Seems like the perfect situation for Article 44?

This is interesting. So many moaners over the government's "absolutist rule", and yet T still somehow has his rank. If the Rule is so absolute, why didn't this happen months ago?? Gee. In this case, "absolute" must be "relative", eh? LOL

Wow - can you read minds?

I seriously doubt your theory, unless you can perhaps elaborate?

Petty vindictiveness, punishment for speaking out of turn on South Korean / CNN TV, jealous, envious egotistical people tying to annoy another jealous, envious, egotistical person, who knows? But, there again we don't really know what they are thinking. Picking something up that could have been done a longtime ago and pushing it to the front shows there must be reason. Maybe Prayut just doesn't like him?

That's the benefit of selective enforcement and application of the law - no one really knows why some things are enforced and followed up, and some aren't.

Article 44 gives Prayut absolute power so invoke it and strip Thaksin of his rank and be done with it. Then move on to more pressing matters such as the economy, reconciliation, etc.

More significant getting the police force to do it as a mark of de-Thaksinification. Looks like the job is still not finished.

One crew of pots calling another crew black kettles.

What a clown show.

neither has the moral or lawful high ground.

Both refuse to stop pretending otherwise.

Cheerleaders gather on both sides to cheer for ------ what?

Quite right. Reconciliation - of what? Bringing the old feudal and Chinese ethnic gangs to the "peace table" so the splitting up of the spoils can be agreed and get back to "normal"?

Neither side, would do anything, or be remotely interesting in driving the massive social, educational and cultural changes that need to happen to make Thailand a fairer, democracy with a sound justice system.

Those who think "reconciliation" of the Shins and anti-Shin factions would deliver anything for the masses are very mistaken.

Somyot said certain media had been excessively critical of him, and threatened to sue them if it damaged his reputation.

I think not...

Freedom of press comes with a price. They just cannot gob-off at anyone about anything, they have a duty to report accurately and not make stuff up. In the UK we can suit the press and the same for most countries. Freedom of press doesn't = "say what you like". If on the other hand they are correct, then he will have the choice to sue them and the courts can decide. In my opinion he has definitely not been quick off the mark with this but that's just my opinion

I think not...

He learned it from the master Thaksin who threatend everybody with lawsuits if he didn't like what he was reading.

And the uneducated and ill-informed hypocrites make stupid comments about the freedom of the press today, as if this is the only time it has ever been shackled and threatened by a demanding government leader -

"Thailand's Prime Minister, Thaksin Shinawatra, has been accused of orchestrating a sweeping crackdown on news media that has claimed the jobs of three senior editors."........................."The secretary-general of the Campaign for Media Reform, Supinya Klangnarong, warned that the independence of the Thai media was under threat. "This is a dark age . . . Anyone who doesn't toe the line will be fired."......................"In an editorial yesterday, The Nation declared: "Thailand's hard-won democracy is in tatters. Political reform has been reversed, the previously vibrant media gagged, the country's human rights record tarnished.".............................

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/02/29/1077989434975.html?from=storyrhs

I think not...

To compare again, there never was a free press in Thaksin era, all press and TV were strictly controlled-------look it up.

Press is free up to the point that fear of damages is easy here as money talks, But it is free to a certain extent. There are no camps that people are taken to that go against the government or you would be the first inmate.

look it up, what a great idea.

2004 - middle of the 'Thaksin era", as you put it, was the best ranking (59th) for press freedom that Thailand has had in the last 15 years.

Now it is 130th...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Press_Freedom_Index

There are no camps that people are taken to...

You've not been awake for the last 15 months, have you? whistling.gif

Whatever you looked up I am sure you would have to make your end look good.

Did you ever read Thai rak Thai news---Thailands own Thaksin newspaper

were you here to watch Thai Thaksin style TV, do not give me stats from abroad, as they would have been bent as much as he is by him.

You actually believe the general public are taken to camps --I do not have a strong enough word for you ridiculous propaganda ----Places like prisons for trouble makers red style---or paid crazy loonies I agree, but do not give me that B/Dung. Suppose the army next wil be killing up to 3,000 drug users will they------or how many died in the lorry in the south ??? Yes you have an agenda and it is not normal posting --just anti army--pro Thaksin ---oH YAWN

Edited by ginjag

Reciting the 12 principles every day will eventually lead to happiness, and thus reconciliation. It must be clear to most/the majority (sorry cheerleaders for the use of those hated words) that what Thailand needs is less critical thinking and more blind obedience.

The future of Thailand is best served by being led by a benign (military) ruler that really knows what's best for the masses. This will lead to a poor, but happy and respectful populace who all want to wai as one to the great leader.

I'll Drink to the Blind Obedience bit.cheesy.gif