Filthy Food Hygiene Habits of some Thais and lack of supervision at Makro Chaweng

Well, all that is known about the meat bits is that they apparently were in an unfrozen state.

Would you really bet your health/life on assuming the meat was fresh and not unfrozen and/or taken out of vacuum bags?

Sometimes I shop for frozen steaks at makro, and sometimes I find steaks which were just delivered. The bags are soft.

Also, other frozen steaks aren't straight and flat anymore, but changed their form before freezing again due to the bag getting unfrozen and then refrozen.

Let's just pray the contents ahven't been contaminated before being packaged, because then it's a recipe for mass poisoning.

What happened to Clostridium botulinum being the problem?

So the bags are soft, so what temperature were they given the contents were mostly frozen?

If the contents were taken out of a frozen vacuum packed bag I wouldn't be worried.

I don't buy packs that look they have defrosted and look like they have been refrozen although the risk is probably minimal.

Don't bother posting again regarding Food Safety, please.

Okay... what makes you an expert?

Take my word for it I am wink.png

I don't like the practices that I see around but I would be more concerned with raw/frozen fish/chicken etc. being weighed at the cooked meat/cheese counter at Makro.

Cross contamination is a big problem and more of a concern than raw food with certain foods.

• 2 months later...

Have been to both Makro Chaweng and Lamai over the holiday period.

Lamai branch is definitely the better store and seems to have better stock rotation and fresher fruit/vegetables.

Disappointing that both stores ran out of Turkeys early in December, this maybe related to US bird flu issues but Makro management really should have contingency plans in place.

I have been impressed to see fresh parsnips and sprouts on sale.

Of the products I bought over the period I thought some were exceptional:

Hydroponic lettuce

Large fresh prawns (I used for prawn cocktail) @ around 330THB/kg

Fresh side of Salmon around 700THB/kg

2L Fresh Whipping Cream 199THB

The other products I regularly buy are frozen bacon and sausage so:

Cumberland Pork Sausages Thick or Thin (Around 250THB/kg) - Grill or BBQ rather than fry

I normally buy streaky bacon which is okay but Lamai branch has smoked back bacon which isn't 'Danish' but much better than the unsmoked

There is also a range of imported beef which I buy but if you want a special treat with regards to steaks then I would suggest that you buy from Tops at Central in Chaweng.

Happy New Year to All!

• 2 weeks later...

The only meat I buy in Makro is the frozen blocks,Chicken,Pork,Fish,as

its packed and flash frozen in the packing plant,has a lot less chance

of contamination,from packing plant and in Makro its self,keep it in freezer

and just chop off what I need,thats the chicken,the pork and fish are easily separated.

regards worgeordie

• 4 months later...

The only meat I buy in Makro is the frozen blocks,Chicken,Pork,Fish,as

its packed and flash frozen in the packing plant,has a lot less chance

of contamination,from packing plant and in Makro its self,keep it in freezer

and just chop off what I need,thats the chicken,the pork and fish are easily separated.

regards worgeordie

I tend to agree with this for the fresh vacuum packed meats at the counter as more than once in the past few months I have found the meat at the counters to be off - the packs are usually beef and lamb.

I'm happy to buy fresh meat if it looks and smells fresh but will certainly wash it before cooking (by dipping in salt water rather than splashing water off raw meat all over the kitchen by running it under the tap).

To re-iterate Lamai is a far better and more customer friendly store.

Does it matter as long as the meat is properly fried or boiled ? If you worry about hygiene Thailand is not the right place to live in.

Probably not, I guess most people will wash the meat before cooking which will assist in removing whatever was on these hands and the hairs that they left behind. Seems like you are an expert in food hygiene?

are you?

Does it matter as long as the meat is properly fried or boiled ? If you worry about hygiene Thailand is not the right place to live in.

Probably not, I guess most people will wash the meat before cooking which will assist in removing whatever was on these hands and the hairs that they left behind. Seems like you are an expert in food hygiene?

are you?

Yes

Archived