Bangkok to hold Car Free Day on 20 Sep

webfact

Bangkok to hold Car Free Day on 20 Sep

BANGKOK, 7 September 2015 (NNT) – The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) is holding a Car Free Day activity, as part of a campaign to promote walking and the use of other modes of transportation instead of personal cars, a BMA spokesperson says.

The BMA’s Deputy Spokesperson Bensai Keeyapat, announced that the BMA and its partner organizations will hold the Bangkok Car Free Day 2015 event, on 20th September with a central stage located at Sanam Luang.

The event is intended to promote walking and other transport options instead of personal cars, to help reduce the consumption of oil and reduce the global warming effect as well as air and noise pollution.

The cycling event will start at 27 locations around Bangkok with the finishing line at Sanam Luang, as a highlight of the Car Free Day campaign.

An official press conference for the event will take place on 10th September 2015 at Bangkok City Hall, while about 20,000 persons have already registered to attend the event on www.carfreeday2015.com, the BMA’s deputy spokesperson says.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-09-07 footer_n.gif

What a waste of time, although the sentiment is a good one. Unless cars are totally banned from the roads on Car Free Day, the exercise serves no purpose as everyone will travel to and from the event BY CAR. They do this in Krabi too and it's nothing more than a token gesture.

Yep great idea everyone needs to get behind it and not just find fault. Bangkok would be a much much better place to live if there was some sort of measure controlling vehicles travelling into the center. Personally I think a congestion charge zone would be the way to go, its proved v effective elsewhere.

rijit

Edited by rijit

Maybe keeping the pavements clear of flower pots, street sellers, chairs and tables, awnings calculated to knock out the eyes of the unwary Farang, would do more to encourage people to walk. They might want to put some rubbish bins in there though.

Why do we have 20,000 persons when the plural is people. I would have thought a journalist writing in English should have a reasonable command of the language. Next time try 20,000 people!

There is nothing wrong with the use of "persons", it's the correct, but formal, plural of "person" in certain circumstances.

Most observers would probably think that someone criticising the use of certain English words would be reasonably familiar with the use of those words.

only no cars, or also no tuk tuk, no taxi, no motosay ?

that would help to clear up a bit smokey city

Bangkok is not known as a particularly smokey city at all.

Really, I'de say it was really pretty nasty for car pollution

rijit

Much has improved over the years.

The majority of stinking 2-strokes have gone.

Cars and even pickups have much better exhaust values.

And compared to Chinas mega-cities, Bangkok looks like a health resort tongue.png

Edited by KhunBENQ

And compared to Chinas mega-cities, Bangkok looks like a health resort tongue.png

bangkok Still aint good enuf though

Especially since the world health orgonisation has officially recognised car/petrol fumes as carciogenic and all the thai gov do is incentivise the buying of cars. and does nothing to manage their impact on individuals health or the increasingly harsh social impact .

rijit

Yep great idea everyone needs to get behind it and not just find fault. Bangkok would be a much much better place to live if there was some sort of measure controlling vehicles travelling into the center. Personally I think a congestion charge zone would be the way to go, its proved v effective elsewhere.

rijit

Can't see that a congestion charge would be effective. Drivers are already prepared to spend hours trapped in gridlocked traffic so any charge would have to be pretty punitive to stand a chance of success.

rijit

Can't see that a congestion charge would be effective. Drivers are already prepared to spend hours trapped in gridlocked traffic so any charge would have to be pretty punitive to stand a chance of success.

Indeed, and before any congestion charging goes in to place, there would need to be an extensive and reliable public transport system in place as an alternative to driving.

All the new BTS and MRT lines should have been built years ago, once they are in place, then you can start talking about congestion charging, since a viable alternative is then available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Car free day on September 20

pr4_2-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Bicyclists will have another day to enjoy biking in the capital as the country will observe the car free day on September 20.

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration’s Department’s Traffic and Transportation says it will hold the Bangkok Car Free Day 2015 event on September 20 to encourage people not to use their private cars but public transport instead.

Department director Taweesak Lertprapan said the event will encourage the public to use bicycles in their daily lives and reduce traffic congestion.

He said the car free day activities will be held at Sanam Luang in Bangkok, where cyclists will travel along Rattanakosin Island, passing notable landmarks, including Wat Mahathat, Bangkok National Museum, Democracy Monument, Grand Palace and return to Sanam Luang.

The event will also include a walking street where people can shop for products and consumables from related agencies, and an exhibition of the history, architecture and way of life around Rattanakosin Island.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/car-free-day-on-september-20

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-09-11

rijit

a fiver a day worked in london now i believe its 8 . Who knows what it needs to be but that can be worked out but Its worked With cities that had traffic probs the only thing that could be an issue in thailand is standing waiting in extreme weather.

rijit

rijit

a fiver a day worked in london now i believe its 8 . Who knows what it needs to be but that can be worked out but Its worked With cities that had traffic probs the only thing that could be an issue in thailand is standing waiting in extreme weather.

rijit

Put in place a coordinated public transport system and a congestion charge may work. Try it with the chaotic bus routes now in place and the woefully inadequate Skytrain/Metro system and it's a disaster waiting to happen.

Why do we have 20,000 persons when the plural is people. I would have thought a journalist writing in English should have a reasonable command of the language. Next time try 20,000 people!

Why do we have 20,000 persons when the plural is people?

Pot calling the kettle back. Those that really know their English use a question mark at the end of a question.

Why do we have 20,000 persons when the plural is people?

Pot calling the kettle back. Those that really know their English use a question mark at the end of a question.

"Persons" may be somewhat archaic but it is perfectly grammatical English.

rijit

Safe and viable alternatives need to be available if Bangkok is to have and genuine chance at mirroring Capital Cities elsewhere which have congestion charges.

i.e.

- I can't walk down the pavement with my Child in a Pushchair - its just downright dangerous, with street vendors, boiling hot oil, scolding coals, motorcycles swerving past.

- Taxi's don't have seatbelt, I can't even compromise sightly on safety by sitting in the back of a taxi with my seatbelt on while I hold tightly onto my son in my lap.

- Busses in Bangkok - not a chance.

- BTS and MRT - I'd need my Car to get to the BTS (I already use this option when travelling into Siam etc)

- UBER, the only alternative to driving I personally use, however, no car seats for my child.

Conclusion:

If I wish for my family (son) to remain safe there is no viable alternative to driving in Bangkok until I get to a BTS station and my destination is on a BTS line.

Bangkok has a long long way to go before any congestion charge could be effective. The public transport in Bangkok is simply not comparable to any city in developed nations (i.e. Tokyo, London, Singapore).

Conclusion:

If I wish for my family (son) to remain safe there is no viable alternative to driving in Bangkok until I get to a BTS station and my destination is on a BTS line.

Bangkok has a long long way to go before any congestion charge could be effective. The public transport in Bangkok is simply not comparable to any city in developed nations (i.e. Tokyo, London, Singapore).

All good points, but that doesn't negate the benefit of a congestion charge to change people's habits. People may choose to live closer to the BTS/MRT (and pay higher rent) if their alternative was paying more to drive in the city. You may not get the transport services of a Singapore, but there will be a benefit in reducing your travel time if you do choose to drive.

I also like the idea of genuine, well managed park and rides at the terminal stations (and other strategic stations) of the BTS/MRT, combined with a fee to drive into the inner city.

Perhaps it's because I live in the inner city and genuinely despise the first and last 3-5 miles every time I pull the truck out of the apartment car park, and come back home. I'd gladly pay a few dollars each time to miss out on the rat's nest of traffic that adds 10-60 minutes to every trip where I drive my own vehicle.

Conclusion:

All good points, but that doesn't negate the benefit of a congestion charge to change people's habits. People may choose to live closer to the BTS/MRT (and pay higher rent) if their alternative was paying more to drive in the city. You may not get the transport services of a Singapore, but there will be a benefit in reducing your travel time if you do choose to drive.

I also like the idea of genuine, well managed park and rides at the terminal stations (and other strategic stations) of the BTS/MRT, combined with a fee to drive into the inner city.

Perhaps it's because I live in the inner city and genuinely despise the first and last 3-5 miles every time I pull the truck out of the apartment car park, and come back home. I'd gladly pay a few dollars each time to miss out on the rat's nest of traffic that adds 10-60 minutes to every trip where I drive my own vehicle.

Yep though tbh imo its the non essential and solo drivers you want to deter ie i'm going shopping or cinema or maybe even to work in the office. but what happens is that with the extra income the congestion charge generates the authorties have cash to help upgrade public transport systems.

rijit

bangkok Still aint good enuf though

Especially since the world health orgonisation has officially recognised car/petrol fumes as carciogenic and all the thai gov do is incentivise the buying of cars. and does nothing to manage their impact on individuals health or the increasingly harsh social impact .

rijit

These are filters from the mask I wear while riding the bike around Bangkok back and forth to work. The two on the outside haven't been used yet. The ones in the middle are after about 4 or 5 hours of use.

post-193141-0-91246300-1442395624_thumb.

• 1 month later...

At least you know they are somewhat effective..

Luv Bangkok on bank holidays when all and sundry f,,, s of out of the city. How was the car free day? Did everybody observe it?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app