Pattaya Flooding

Nice Boyd

Hi Craig and Phil, So sorry to hear about the terrible flooding to your homes, especially with an elderly sick mother to take care of. It must have been very traumatic. I hope things get back to some semblance of normalcy as soon as possible. Good luck.

Mobi

+1

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wife has just been to the house to get clean clothes. Street is 18" deep and the house had 9" of water in it yesterday.

Water has subsided in the house to ground level now. Garden and carport still about 6" deep.

The small Soi leading to Baan Balina is a gradual slope to the village from Sukhumvit. It may take some time to drain off. At least the levels going down.

Wow sorry to hear your still underwater......

I suspect that they didn't dredge the klong that runs near to your estate they started at the railway line a few days ago and had done most of our estate just before the rain hit.

post-2109-0-37598000-1442564467_thumb.jp

Planned power outage in East Pattaya was supposed to be from 9 to 5. Latest feedback, because of the rain and flooding, they may not be able to finish it until sometime tomorrow. I think they should have postponed the work until sunny days!

Food in the fridge gonna spoil!

And bloody hot with not even a fan working. Cooler outside but drinks are all warm now, guess will venture out to see if 7-11 has any ice!

Edited by jmccarty

Planned power outage in East Pattaya was supposed to be from 9 to 5. Latest feedback, because of the rain and flooding, they may not be able to finish it until sometime tomorrow. I think they should have postponed the work until sunny days!

Food in the fridge gonna spoil!

And bloody hot with not even a fan working. Cooler outside but drinks are all warm now, guess will venture out to see if 7-11 has any ice!

Just got my staff to call PEA ..... they are adamant they will be finished by 5. But of course, that means nothing!

Edited by Rimmer

Just got my staff to call PEA ..... they are adamant they will be finished by 5. But of course, that means nothing!

In the last 5 years I've always found the PEA to be very accurate with their service announcements, and outages have always been over before the scheduled time.

Thank goodness our estate is up higher,but we didn't go out for two days as most roads around were flooded,electricity didn't go off once ,but the tv was out for about half an hour ,mind you the garden flooded as it just could not soak up any more water

Wife has just been to the house to get clean clothes. Street is 18" deep and the house had 9" of water in it yesterday.

Water has subsided in the house to ground level now. Garden and carport still about 6" deep.

The small Soi leading to Baan Balina is a gradual slope to the village from Sukhumvit. It may take some time to drain off. At least the levels going down.

I suspect that they didn't dredge the klong that runs near to your estate they started at the railway line a few days ago and had done most of our estate just before the rain hit.

Baan Balina is accessible now.

misterphil clean up team have already started.

Does anyone know of a professional company that can clean sofas?

Building houses in flood zones? WHY? WHY? WHY?

I am not an expert, but I would imagine that a vast majority of property built in tropical countries that are subject to monsoons are built in so-called flood plains.

Probably the whole of Bangla Desh is one huge flood zone.

It goes with the territory, so to speak.

It's more a question of having the necessary infrastructure (monsoon drains, pumps and the like) to deal with the storms when they come.

More specific. Why would a foreigner want to build in places that are known to flood?

Very sad to read about the problems caused by the flooding. I stay in Pattaya in a condo, thus far am ok. Was previously considering moving to a house but am wondering if i would want that now.....

May I ask: does the house insurance give full coverage for flood damage, or not, and what is the situation? How much and in what amount can be claimed if any?

Thank u.

Edited by R123

Building houses in flood zones? WHY? WHY? WHY?

I am not an expert, but I would imagine that a vast majority of property built in tropical countries that are subject to monsoons are built in so-called flood plains.

Probably the whole of Bangla Desh is one huge flood zone.

It goes with the territory, so to speak.

It's more a question of having the necessary infrastructure (monsoon drains, pumps and the like) to deal with the storms when they come.

More specific. Why would a foreigner want to build in places that are known to flood?

Pattaya has a very dry climate so people are caught off guard. This was an unusual event - worst I've seen in the 10 years I've been here.

Why would a foreigner build in areas known to flood? It's a mystery, isn't it? Why do people live in LA and San Francisco? Why do people live on the east coast of Japan? We bought a house in the Philippines that had it's roof ripped off in a typhoon not long ago... an area exposed to more typhoons than anywhere else on earth. I had regrets about that too....

I suppose the only answer here is they/we are not as wise as you.

Edited by tropo

When buying a house it can be difficult for a non expert to determine if the location of choice is flood free or not, off-course no one buy/builds a house on a location where they know a flood will hit one day.

The 2 sad cases we read about here on this topic had something to do with a dam bursting if I read it correctly so if this dam is made stronger when they repair it, perhaps it will never happen again.

As for my wife & I, only pure luck made us choose a flood free house/village on the inside of Sukhumvit road near BKK/Pat hospital. Well not entirely flood free, the outer wall where the lowermost house are located collapsed because of quickly rising water and workers knocked bigger holes in a wall facing a backside road to drain the water quicker but too late. The owners were very lucky, the water was cm from entering the houses when the wall collapsed and thus draining the water quickly down to lower land behind the village.

If you buy a house on a step mountain side somewhere you face the risks of mudslides which can level your house in secs if it's bad.

As the climate all over the World now see more "freak" weather, many places will have a much bigger chance of getting hit by nature.

Went out tonight in Pattaya and you wouldn't even know there was any flooding. The beers were flowing and the girls were all back to their chirpy selves looking for their next boyfriends. It's business as usual and my "frydays" fish and chips was as good as ever.

Yes, how can the people not be electrocuted? I remember people sitting in an open air restaurant being fried a couple years back.

It is amazing to me how Beach road and 2nd Road can not drain to the ocean. It seems like a simple thing to engineer. Is the ocean as high as the street?

Well now is the drought over in Pattaya? I hope so.

The grade/slope is not very large at that point. The water simply can't drain quickly enough. Last year or the year before they was a nice picture of Beach Road and the water flowing down the stairs into the "basement" of the mall right there around Soi 9.

The rain has stopped at this moment. It all might be over but who knows, it might be back soon. Let's hope it drys up for all you folks affected, nobody wishes flooding on anybody, good luck.

Sorry for the off topic. But where is your fish fry place you favor? I am looking for such a place.

The rain has stopped at this moment. It all might be over but who knows, it might be back soon. Let's hope it drys up for all you folks affected, nobody wishes flooding on anybody, good luck.

Sorry for the off topic. But where is your fish fry place you favor? I am looking for such a place.

Congt on the most off topic post I seen for a long time.biggrin.png

Sea food in general, is good at the far end of Jomtien beach road and Bang Saray further south have a couple of very good sea food restaurant sitting on poles over the water on the beach, very nice.

It is here, follow this thread: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/231029-fish-and-chips-where-is-the-good-stuff/page-22#entry7632515

Yes, how can the people not be electrocuted? I remember people sitting in an open air restaurant being fried a couple years back.

It is amazing to me how Beach road and 2nd Road can not drain to the ocean. It seems like a simple thing to engineer. Is the ocean as high as the street?

Well now is the drought over in Pattaya? I hope so.

The grade/slope is not very large at that point. The water simply can't drain quickly enough. Last year or the year before they was a nice picture of Beach Road and the water flowing down the stairs into the "basement" of the mall right there around Soi 9.

its not engineered properly. If it was it would drain properly. Take a look when it floods. The drains have water coming OUT of them.

its not engineered properly. If it was it would drain properly. Take a look when it floods. The drains have water coming OUT of them.

It doesn't help much that Thai's shove a lot of waste down the drains too, saw a Thai guy shoving left over cement down once. And there those diligent sweet old ladies that sweep up outside their shops or houses in the morning and straight into the drains too.

For $10,000 dollars I could design a sewer system from 2nd road to Beach Road to the ocean that would eliminate floods on those 2 roads. Very simple and elegant and would just use gravity. The gov't is spending all that money for construction on Sukumvit but doesn't care about the damage by floods that could easily be prevented. Definitely not farang thinking. But then farangs would be suing the hell out of their gov't.

For $10,000 dollars I could design a sewer system from 2nd road to Beach Road to the ocean that would eliminate floods on those 2 roads. Very simple and elegant and would just use gravity. The gov't is spending all that money for construction on Sukumvit but doesn't care about the damage by floods that could easily be prevented. Definitely not farang thinking. But then farangs would be suing the hell out of their gov't.

Its not that simple, they did soi6 Pratamnak road a few years ago, dug up the whole road and put in very big drains both sides of the road, this road is not short of a mile long.

It still flooded the other night because of the sheer amount of rain coming down, not many places in the world with cope with that amount, and if the tides is in, makes it even harder