Rain to haze

steelepulse

Woke up this morning early, no rain, but so hazy couldn't see what I normally see every morning. Now it's drizzling and getting hazier by the hour. Thanks Indonesia! Looking at windguru, we're about done with the rain so I wonder if this haze that has been crippling Singapore and Malaysia will now linger here until the next rain.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still some real rain at north-east, but I guess it's hazy as well.

The windyty map gives a nice visual presentation where the winds are coming from. Looks like from the strait of Malacca.

PM10 is now 85

I had to Google that = PM = Particle Matter pollution

http://www.airinfonow.org/html/ed_particulate.html

I just took a look at that page. It says that forest fires create PM2.5 particles.

These air quality meters check the amount of larger PM10 particles.

Then something from US government site.

Health: Particle pollution contains microscopic solids or liquid droplets that are so small that they can get deep into the lungs and cause serious health problems. The size of particles is directly linked to their potential for causing health problems. Small particles less than 10 micrometers in diameter pose the greatest problems, because they can get deep into your lungs, and some may even get into your bloodstream. More information about health.

Visibility: Fine particles (PM2.5) are the main cause of reduced visibility (haze) in parts of the United States, including many of our treasured national parks and wilderness areas. More information about visibility.

Source: http://www3.epa.gov/pm/basic.html

Hmm. Should I start looking for a face mask?

PM10 is now 85

I had to Google that = PM = Particle Matter pollution

http://www.airinfonow.org/html/ed_particulate.html

I just took a look at that page. It says that forest fires create PM2.5 particles.

These air quality meters check the amount of larger PM10 particles.

Then something from US government site.

Health: Particle pollution contains microscopic solids or liquid droplets that are so small that they can get deep into the lungs and cause serious health problems. The size of particles is directly linked to their potential for causing health problems. Small particles less than 10 micrometers in diameter pose the greatest problems, because they can get deep into your lungs, and some may even get into your bloodstream. More information about health.

Visibility: Fine particles (PM2.5) are the main cause of reduced visibility (haze) in parts of the United States, including many of our treasured national parks and wilderness areas. More information about visibility.

Source: http://www3.epa.gov/pm/basic.html

Hmm. Should I start looking for a face mask?

It's cool Oilinki, you can borrow mine.

post-92090-0-89223600-1442599590_thumb.j

Volcanic ash is different compared to this smog from forest fires. It can damage the jet engines.

Currently the visibility is about 3000 meters. I guess most of the commercial planes are capable to land in zero visibility.