Thaksin tells Thailand's red shirt opposition - 'play dead'... for now

Lite Beer

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody can deny that the rice policy was vote buying. The farmers are saying we will vote for anyone who will give us an above market price for our goods. Sad actually that the working and middle class have to pay for the farmers who are just not economical.

Look what happened.....If the working and middle class would pay a bit for poor farmers I would complete understand it. (Even I would prefer the money goes into the education system for their kids).

But in fact only little of the money ended with the farmer. The working+middle class paid for corruption inside the PTP and the mills, warehouses and middlemen.

True.. a subsidy based on land held by the poorest of farmers would be far better and would have left far less room for corruption. Also it would exclude the wealthier larger farmers.

And your right most of the money did not end up with the farmers but the middlemen. Just helping the poorest of the farmers would be far better. Maybe based on land they own or the amount of rice they sold before. Making sure only the poorest qualify.

Part of the problem with a lot of poor farmers is that they actually don't own the land they work but rent it from other farmers. I may have been in their family at one time but maybe it was sold to pay off accumulated debts.

That is why i put the amount of rice the produced before, i know about that problem. Of course direct subsidies would have corruption too and it would be hard to identify those that qualify but I think its a better way to get help to the real poor farmers (if that is what needs to be done). This way the big farmers and the not so poor don't get their share.

Wow, any headline with Thaksin is like a red rag to the TV frothers!

Thing that really irks them is that they know what he said is true; when finally an election is permitted the people will simply reiterate the same message. We want Thaksin!

Personally don't have a problem with the electorate voting for thaksin's various parties. It's their vote and they can whatever they want with it.

However articles that hide or lie about the fact he is a fugitive criminal who fled justice annoy me.

Edited by Bluespunk

"Thaksin, who lives abroad to avoid a jail sentence for graft, was ousted in a coup in 2006,"

No he wasn't.

Not direct but in fact yes. His placeholders were ousted 2006 and 2014. It was always him in power.

The coup prevented an election. It didn't oust a government as parliament had been dissolved.

Personally I think it did TS a favour as I don't think he would have won the election had it taken place. But we'll never know.

Thing that really irks them is that they know what he said is true; when finally an election is permitted the people will simply reiterate the same message. We want Thaksin!

Some people. A minority of the population and electorate.

UDON THANI, Thailand: From self-imposed exile, the influential leader of Thailand's rural "red shirt" opposition movement has delivered a simple message to followers chafing at the military junta's iron rule: lay low for now, don't panic, "play dead".

The man is a proven liar, why would anyone believe him? Any red shirts still waiting for him to join them when they march into Bangkok......5 years ago. The new brand of leader.....venting his frustration, willing to sacrifice more poor people.....from the safety of Dubai. See the link, Thaksin...."I'll be there with you" don't take any wooden nickles from this puke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBDm-jA3N80

But enough to put his party into power

Bla bla bla, Hardcore Thaksinistas doing everything the man in Dubai orders, NO MATTER HOW MANY TIMES they get screwed over aka brainwashed again and again and again, they'd STILL follow him 4ever.

They have been brainwashed and screwed over forever. I guess they prefer to have it done by a guy that at least pretends he cares about them, as opposed to the old elite who don't give a rat's fart about them other than supplying army conscripts and workers.

Why is this surprising - do you know so little about Thailand??

Actually, it is the majority of the electorate who have voted the PTP into power in every election for the last 9 years. No amount of nitpicking will alter that fact.

But enough to put his party into power

Sure but his popularity has always and continues to be overstated. He gains power by giving a large number of people controlling a large number of seats, little choice but to vote for him whether they "want him" or not.

Nobody can deny that the rice policy was vote buying. The farmers are saying we will vote for anyone who will give us an above market price for our goods. Sad actually that the working and middle class have to pay for the farmers who are just not economical.

They have a thing called the Common Agricultural Policy in the EU, under this scheme, farmers were/are actually paid to grow nothing at all (set-a-side), the British royal family being a big beneficiary. A great way of transferring state funds to rich people for doing basically bugger-all.

Edited by Andrew65

Several members have mentioned that the bulk of the rice subsidy money did not reach the farmers, but was diverted by rices mills, middle men, and corruption.

I'm not disputing this. I think it is as likely as any other explanation for that part of the loss that was not due to the difference between the price paid, and the market price (which was a substantial part of the loss).

However, has anyone seen an accounting of this reported in the press? Something that shows total outlays, less market pricing losses, less customary milling and storage fees, less payments to farmers = waste/fraud

I haven't seen this sort of accounting. Instead, there is a total figure bandied about (600 billion baht or so), with inadequate justification for the figure. NACC and the Finance Ministry are using the figure...but oddly they never reveal their calculations...and vague reference is made to committees going over this stuff.

Do you guys have much faith in the "committees"?

Indeed, PTP have never released any accounts or certified figures. Their finance and various commerce ministers issued different and contradictory figures.

They either haven't bothered to keep proper records or more likely have and don't want to divulge them.

The World Bank issued a report on the scheme, in which they estimated a tiny % actually went to farmers. Worth a read if you are interested. I would certainly put more credibility on the WB than on any Thai committee, ministry or NGO.

"Thaksin, who lives abroad to avoid a jail sentence for graft, was ousted in a coup in 2006,"

No he wasn't.

Not direct but in fact yes. His placeholders were ousted 2006 and 2014. It was always him in power.

There was no govt in place when the 2006 coup occurred.

There was no govt because the previous election was riddled with corrupt election practices.

thaksin was not pm.

No one was.

Wow sounds like you really hate the guy ! What did he do to you for so much hatred !

Actually, it is the majority of the electorate who have voted the PTP into power in every election for the last 9 years. No amount of nitpicking will alter that fact.

Of course, if one uses the MZurf Dictionary of Approved Definitions.

No he wasn't.

Yes, he was. Sept 19th 2006 military coup the military claimed control of Thailand by ousting in a coup de tat, the elected caretaker government of Prime Minister Thaksin. Kind of like this time really, elected caretaker government again overthrown by the military rather than allow another election. But we all understand the military do this because they are so concerned about the Thai citizens (you know, the ones who voted in these governments) and not for any other reason, at all.

Edited by Alwyn

They haven't received more than 48% of the popular vote since polling 56% in 2005. As these figures only include those that actually voted the percentage of the eligible electorate is even less. The Democrats received more of the popular vote in 2007 than TS's PPP.

Be careful when stating facts unless you can back them up.

No he wasn't.

There was no govt because the previous election was riddled with corrupt election practices.

thaksin was not pm.

No one was.

Wow sounds like you really hate the guy ! What did he do to you for so much hatred !

I don't think Mr. Bluespunk hate's anyone. He does however post to correct the often distorted PR versions of history and fact than originate from the Thaksin PR machine press releases.

Bla bla bla, Hardcore Thaksinistas doing everything the man in Dubai orders, NO MATTER HOW MANY TIMES they get screwed over aka brainwashed again and again and again, they'd STILL follow him 4ever.

If you read the entire article, you may perhaps understand why they follow him 4 ever. Quote " compare to the Shin clan, Prayuth has done nothing for the farmers".

No he wasn't.

Yes, he was. Sept 19th 2006 military coup the military claimed control of Thailand by ousting in a coup de tat, the elected caretaker government of Prime Minister Thaksin. Kind of like this time really, elected caretaker government again overthrown by the military rather than allow another election. But we all understand the military do this because they are so concerned about the Thai citizens (you know, the ones who voted in these governments) and not for any other reason, at all.

No Alwyn he wasn't. Did you miss the bit where he resigned as caretaker PM and a replacement was installed and formerly approved? Or the bit where Thaksin then changed his mind and illegally moved back into position on no authority but his own?

He was beginning to treat Thailand like it was his family's business, act like he was the CEO and major shareholder, and ignore anything else.

I have no doubt that the money could have been better spent for similar goals. And that the scheme management has been deficient, resulting in large quantities of rotten rice (if the information given by the Junta is reliable).

However, about these continuous allegations of massive corruption, there is absolutely no clue about it. The Junta and the NACC have found peanuts (you can guess how hard they tried to find)!They only found a few GtoG deals which haven't yet been judged.Same as for previous allegations of massive quantities of missing rice. They found only a small %, to which anyone familiar with inventory management is accustomed.

It is also highly laughable that some guys explain us that farmers vote PTP because of the rice subsidies (and now complain they don't get anymore according to the OP), and then the same guys explain us that they actually did not get subsidies. :)

No he wasn't.

No, of course not.

He lost the election and the Democrats won. ???

Silly me.

Indeed you are silly.

If you don't know what really happened at that time it's easy enough to research.

If you do, but hope you can deflect it with this daft comment, then yes, you are silly.

No he wasn't.

There is no such thing as an "elected caretaker government". And for the record the citizens don't vote for a government. They vote for MP's who decide between them who will form the government.

As soon as parliament is dissolved there is no going back and during the interim period until the next election the caretaker government has little power. TS and his government were out of a job already so how could the coup oust him/them. The coup took power, but not from TS or his party. It took power from the people by preventing an election.

No he wasn't.

No Alwyn he wasn't. Did you miss the bit where he resigned as caretaker PM and a replacement was installed and formerly approved? Or the bit where Thaksin then changed his mind and illegally moved back into position on no authority but his own?

He was beginning to treat Thailand like it was his family's business, act like he was the CEO and major shareholder, and ignore anything else.

Yet when I google 2006 coup Thailand it only mentions Thaksin as PM of the caretaker government and I can find nothing else which contradicts that. ASll being said and done and yes, I agree he was getting OTT but he didn't ignore anything else mate. He did more for the poor and rural villagers than has been dome prior or since come to that (which is why he's so hated by the BKK elite who believe that farmers and poor people shouldn't be allowed to vote - I actually heard my mother in law say that!)

No he wasn't.

thaksin was not pm.

No one was.

Comical the way the usual suspects trot out the same old lies long after they have been discredited.We know the constitutional position but even those who carried out the coup acknowledge it was aimed at Thaksin.I wouldn't normally comment on these lies but on this occasion it was compounded by another ridiculous falsehood on the previous election, where even the Democratic losers (and all international observers) agreed it was fairly conducted.

These Juntophiles have no shame.

No he wasn't.

There is no such thing as an "elected caretaker government". And for the record the citizens don't vote for a government. They vote for MP's who decide between them who will form the government.

As soon as parliament is dissolved there is no going back and during the interim period until the next election the caretaker government has little power. TS and his government were out of a job already so how could the coup oust him/them. The coup took power, but not from TS or his party. It took power from the people by preventing an election.

I see.. Perhaps you would be kind enough to call the BBC News, The Guardian and every other media who covered this as they say "Army chief Sonthi Boonyaratglin said the military leadership had formed a council for political reform and ousted the Prime Minister, Thaksin Shinawatra." and "The Thai military today launched a coup against the prime minister, Thaksin Shinawatra, sending tanks onto the streets of Bangkok before declaring martial law and announcing it had formed an interim regime" and "The 2006 Thai coup d'état took place on Tuesday 19 September 2006, when the Royal Thai Army staged a coup d'état against the elected caretaker government of Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra." Cheers