Prayut, Thaksin and the UN (which is nobody's daddy)

webfact

I do agree that Bangkok was turning into the next Beirut of the 1980's, and that Yingluck was as clueless as they get, and that Thaksin was a crook, and somebody needed to do something.

The locals have pretty much zero fear of police, but seem to respect the military.

A country with police as corrupt as Thailand are not ready for democracy.

I just wish the good general wasn't as bad as the rest of them, but he seems to be just as bad (and ridiculously wealthy/corrupt).

Thaksin should have been voted out not kicked out, but that concept is obviously something nobody in Thailand is ready for.

They are all clueless, power hungry thugs.

Politics of any kind, in any country is like watching retarded kids fight over lunch money.

I see no reason whatsoever to take a side when both sides are wrong.

Gen Prayut said. "Thailand achieved universal health coverage in 2002, resulting in inequalities in access to healthcare services between people living in large cities and those in rural areas decreasing significantly," he said.

One indicator that health was improving was the neonatal mortality rate, he said. The rate had dropped significantly from 72 per 1,000 births in 1970 to only 11 per 1,000 births in 2014, he said.

The universal healthcare scheme was introduced by the Thaksin Shinawatra administration in 2002.

Gen Prayut in July branded the universal healthcare scheme, which benefits about 47 million people, a "costly populist" policy.

The scheme will "bankrupt a lot of hospitals in the next few years", he said. He questioned if Thailand was ready for the policy even though it benefits many people.

Looks like the "anti-populist" good General as conceded that, occasionally (at least outside of Thailand), he has to be "populist".

Nice he has done a U-TURN on the Thaksin universal healthcare scheme.. hey wait! it's all Thaksin's fault right? cheesy.gif

No one is turning away from Universal Healthcare (in Thailand branded as "30-Baht scheme"), but some warn that such scheme is costly and needs to be properly financed to work properly.

The Chuan government prepared the scheme, the Thaksin government made it law, but failed to properly finance it. The Surayut government dropped the 30-Baht as costing double to administer and made other small adjustments, but still not enough funding, Samak/Somchai were busy with more important issues (allegedly), Abhisit didn't do much apart from having fun with protesters and Yingluck immediately reinstated the 30-Baht as that reminded people of her brother (he also took their money). After lots of debate the Yingluck government made the 30-Baht 'optional' (as in you may pay it if you want). Funding still insufficient.

The current government seems the first to address financing, but with the financial drain caused by the previous government has limited choices. All in all we see hospitals participating in the scheme underfunded and private hospitals treating people who want to use the facilities based on 30-Baht Healthcare treated like lepers.

If you never had Healthcare now having it is better than nothing, but Thai who can afford it (and some who cannot) rather pay and get prompt service.

The scheme will "bankrupt a lot of hospitals in the next few years", he said. He questioned if Thailand was ready for the policy even though it benefits many people.

you did read it? your hero used Thaksin's Policy, in his speech to the UN, which he denounced in Thailand earlier as SUDDENLY a great success!

Did you read that the Universal Healthcare scheme needs financing? No need to go into rhetoric like the GOP does about 'Obamacare'. It's about affordable healthcare for all people. Without proper financing while forcing public hospitals to participate those hospitals would go bankrupt if not for continued (minimal) state support while seeing a departure of qualified staff to private hospitals.

PS I changed the font size of your post from 'nearly shouting' size back to normal

It's just as well size is not everything... the font was unintentional :)

now back to the crux of the matter. what is 'proper financing'? like the UK NHS? without going into the Thai economy and all that jazz I support ordinary Thais, who have little or no money, having this safety net scheme

you are avoiding the fact that your hero was totally against it - now in his "Prayut will save the world" speech he adores it - why's that? every human has the right to basic health care and ANYTHING that helps ordinary Thais when they are sick is a GOOD THING

My problem with the General or anyone (yes Thaksin too) who supports the elite, super wealthy against ordinary Thais. Yes I'm one of the tax the rich and support the poor kinda guys. good day to you.

No one is turning away from Universal Healthcare (in Thailand branded as "30-Baht scheme"), but some warn that such scheme is costly and needs to be properly financed to work properly.

The Chuan government prepared the scheme, the Thaksin government made it law, but failed to properly finance it. The Surayut government dropped the 30-Baht as costing double to administer and made other small adjustments, but still not enough funding, Samak/Somchai were busy with more important issues (allegedly), Abhisit didn't do much apart from having fun with protesters and Yingluck immediately reinstated the 30-Baht as that reminded people of her brother (he also took their money). After lots of debate the Yingluck government made the 30-Baht 'optional' (as in you may pay it if you want). Funding still insufficient.

The current government seems the first to address financing, but with the financial drain caused by the previous government has limited choices. All in all we see hospitals participating in the scheme underfunded and private hospitals treating people who want to use the facilities based on 30-Baht Healthcare treated like lepers.

If you never had Healthcare now having it is better than nothing, but Thai who can afford it (and some who cannot) rather pay and get prompt service.

you did read it? your hero used Thaksin's Policy, in his speech to the UN, which he denounced in Thailand earlier as SUDDENLY a great success!

Did you read that the Universal Healthcare scheme needs financing? No need to go into rhetoric like the GOP does about 'Obamacare'. It's about affordable healthcare for all people. Without proper financing while forcing public hospitals to participate those hospitals would go bankrupt if not for continued (minimal) state support while seeing a departure of qualified staff to private hospitals.

PS I changed the font size of your post from 'nearly shouting' size back to normal

It's just as well size is not everything... the font was unintentional smile.png

now back to the crux of the matter. what is 'proper financing'? like the UK NHS? without going into the Thai economy and all that jazz I support ordinary Thais, who have little or no money, having this safety net scheme

you are avoiding the fact that your hero was totally against it - now in his "Prayut will save the world" speech he adores it - why's that? every human has the right to basic health care and ANYTHING that helps ordinary Thais when they are sick is a GOOD THING

My problem with the General or anyone (yes Thaksin too) who supports the elite, super wealthy against ordinary Thais. Yes I'm one of the tax the rich and support the poor kinda guys. good day to you.

Now skipping the hero part as only some type of people seem to need heroes and can't imagine life without heroes (it would seem), let's for a moment tackle Healthcare.

Indeed as I also indicated Healthcare is good, but just declaring 'Healthcare, mission accomplished' doesn't help much. Having the right to healthcare, but having to wait and hope not to die before the doctor may find time for you doesn't help too much. Leaving public hospitals underfunded and with an abundancy in patients while being jubilant about the "Thaksin Healthcare" seems typical. Reinstating 30-Baht to remind people of the "Thaksin healthcare", but without so many words just accepting that enforcing 30-Baht costs too much rieks of the normal Shinawatra hypocrisy.

I'm all in favour for solidarity and indeed that means rich should pay be bit more tax than poor (percentagewise). Interesting is that you want rich to pay taxes, but Thaksin avoided paying taxes when he sold Shinawatra Holding the day a new law he had enabled made such sale possible. Amply Rich, but solidarity with poor people? What some say and what they do can be totally different with rich people.