Mali hotel attacked by gunmen in Bamako

webfact

Shooting reported at Mali hotel

BAMAKO, Mali (AP) — The U.S. Embassy in Mali asked citizens to shelter in place amid reports of an "ongoing active shooter operation" at the Radisson Blu Hotel in the capital, Bamako, raising fears of a terror attack.

Reports of gunfire surfaced Friday morning on social media, though Lt. Col. Diarran Kone, an adviser with Mali's defense ministry, says it is not yet clear what has happened.

Following a military coup in 2012, Islamic extremists took control of northern Mali, prompting a French-led military intervention in early 2013. The extremists were scattered from northern towns and cities, though the north remains insecure and militant attacks have extended farther south this year.

In March masked gunmen shot up a Bamako restaurant popular with foreigners, killing five people.

About 1,000 French troops remain in the country.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-11-20

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mali hotel attacked by gunmen in Bamako

Gunmen have launched an attack on the Radisson Blu Hotel in the centre of Mali's capital, Bamako.

"Apparently it's an attempt to take hostages. The police are there and are sealing off the area," a security source told Reuters news agency.

Automatic weapon fire could be heard from outside the 190-room hotel, AFP reports.

BBC Afrique's Abdourahmane Dia says the US-owned hotel is popular with expats working in Mali.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-34877069

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2015-11-20

Militants ‘holding 170 hostages’ in Mali hotel siege
By Chris Harris | With AFP, RWS

A militant attack is underway at one of the biggest hotels in Mali.

The Radisson hotel in Bamako says two attackers have taken 170 people hostage, including 140 guests and 30 members of staff.

Police have sealed off the area.

Gunfire has been heard from inside the building.

Media say the hotel is popular with foreign visitors.

“Very early in the morning there was gunfire. Apparently it’s an attempt to take hostages. The police are there and are sealing off the area,” the security source said.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2015-11-20

Here we go again. "Gunmen?" "Militants?" That's all we're given to read above. What type of gunmen and militants, I wonder. Oh, here it is. I see why we couldn't mention it, now.

Police have surrounded the hotel, which the gunmen entered shooting, and shouting "God is great!" in Arabic, a security source told Reuters.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-34877069

How long before they figure out that it's far easier to target westerners in a place like Pattaya than it is in London, not long is my guess.

EDIT to add: it looks as though KL is already a target:http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/nov/20/malaysian-police-report-warns-of-suicide-bombers-ahead-of-asean-summit

Edited by chiang mai

If we start to see these attacks at the rate of one or two per week, one of two things will happen. Complete clampdown and rooting out of the problem or collapse into chaos. Maybe not there yet. But could be soon.

These terror forces seem to be encouraging the backlash. Part of the plan.

I hope the army...wait, do they even have one? In any case they are better off storming them straight away and then maybe only 50% will die compared to all of them. Thats what I would want if I was a hostage

There are critics of how the French dealt with the concert massacre asserting that a lot fewer would be dead if they had stormed in much earlier. Hard choices indeed.

Edited by Jingthing

They have released hostages who are able to demonstrate they are Muslims.

Religion of peace!

How long before the usuall ones on here try to tell us its not only this religion carrying out this sort of thing , still are we sure they are Muslim , it could be the seventh day adventists , or the mormons they are a pretty tough crew .sad.png

Edited by i claudius