e85

bearpolar

Id just give up mate,your figs are showing 11 is right for trafic on E85, and 15 /16 on E20.. No one uses any other fuel in E Compat Engines ive known anyway. Cruzin at 85/90 on E20 should get you 20 kpl easy, mine did on sunday during a 2hr X2 run.facepalm.gifthumbsup.gif

Do you have any factual evidence to back your claims or are are you basing your rebuttal on unsubstantiated hearsay ?

I wonder if a motor can be retuned to run on one grade of petrol only. Because these engine can run on multiple types of fuel, I think that they are not optimal for any one in particular. Perhaps a piggyback ecu like gredddy e-manage, unichip, could be used to tune fuel trims to optimise the use of e85 to give it better power and economy.

Like this..http://www.enginebasics.com/EFI%20Tuning/E85%20Tuning.html

Edited by DavisH

Power is always going to be less with alcohol based fuels.

Not my experience but...if that is what you believe. That must be why NASCAR and Top Fuel dragsters use it.

http://iqlearningsystems.com/ethanol/downloads/Racing%20Fuel%20Characteristics.pdf

I wonder if a motor can be retuned to run on one grade of petrol only. Because these engine can run on multiple types of fuel, I think that they are not optimal for any one in particular. Perhaps a piggyback ecu like gredddy e-manage, unichip, could be used to tune fuel trims to optimise the use of e85 to give it better power and economy.

Absolutely they can. From what i can gather the compression ratio would need to be raised to about 14:1 from the ,say, 10.6 on a Honda HRV. The Honda already has wide band injectors as it can already run on E85. Don't know about ignition timing etc. On a turbo car with the requisite injectors the boost could be turned up a bit thumbsup.gif

That would give more power at the expense of fuel volume usage.

Bottom line for everyday drivers is still that every vehicle is different and ALL types of fuel should be investigated before arriving at one's personal conclussion. Again just because it is cheaper at the pump does not mean overall it is cheaper!

I'll get my hat now.

Edited by VocalNeal

Yeah but who knows what cars are best tuned to, i looked for hours.. Is the 1.8 honda engine better with e20 or e10 , i know e85 is crap unless it drops to 15b

https://web.facebook.com/GettunedTuningService

These guys could probably tell you. They seem to do lot of tuning to get cars to run well on E85. They dropped a k24 into a honda city and get 700+ whp on E85. Many of their modded cars are made to run on E85.

Id just give up mate,your figs are showing 11 is right for trafic on E85, and 15 /16 on E20.. No one uses any other fuel in E Compat Engines ive known anyway. Cruzin at 85/90 on E20 should get you 20 kpl easy, mine did on sunday during a 2hr X2 run.facepalm.gifthumbsup.gif

Do you have any factual evidence to back your claims or are are you basing your rebuttal on unsubstantiated hearsay ?

Only 157 Thou KMs over 3Years with the Civic usin E20 and 85,and only 400 cliks over a few days in the HR, aint rocket science. Topics going to usual over the top tuning waffle now. Its bloody cheaper,n thats that. Il stick with the Civic out the 2.

Only 157 Thou KMs over 3Years with the Civic usin E20 and 85,and only 400 cliks over a few days in the HR, aint rocket science. Topics going to usual over the top tuning waffle now. Its bloody cheaper,n thats that. Il stick with the Civic out the 2.

Yeah but who knows what cars are best tuned to, i looked for hours.. Is the 1.8 honda engine better with e20 or e10 , i know e85 is crap unless it drops to 15b

https://web.facebook.com/GettunedTuningService

These guys could probably tell you. They seem to do lot of tuning to get cars to run well on E85. They dropped a k24 into a honda city and get 700+ whp on E85. Many of their modded cars are made to run on E85.

Ive got friends running LS motors (heavily modified) with a "daily" tune for benzine 98 and "race" tune with E85.

650hp 98 for the daily and 900hp E85 race tune are common.

Forced induction though.

Wow.

an average of 143km per day every day for 3 years.

Am gobsmacked to be honest although I do smell the excrement of buffalo in the air.

It would give me great pleasure. Not difficult being a Rep for 20 years here, and now a retired 300 clik a week beach bum.sad.png

Wow.

an average of 143km per day every day for 3 years.

Am gobsmacked to be honest although I do smell the excrement of buffalo in the air.

It would give me great pleasure. Not difficult being a Rep for 20 years here, and now a retired 300 clik a week beach bum.sad.png

Can you post that in english please.

It is more economical to run my Ford Focus on E20. That's mainly because if not E20, it requires 95 octane which is quite a bit more expensive. The Focus gets between 11 and 12 KPL local driving and about 14 highway at speeds of between 100 and 120 KPH.

its simple.

is there a chart to know ON CARS MANIFACTURED FOR E10 E20 AND E85 that shows what gives the best economy/performance ratio

The information found online makes absolutely no sense most of the time and i know we have a few car pros in here that could answer this clearly in less than a minute. The reply would be saved in google and generations of people wondering about this will finally have their info.

its simple.

is there a chart to know ON CARS MANIFACTURED FOR E10 E20 AND E85 that shows what gives the best economy/performance ratio

The information found online makes absolutely no sense most of the time and i know we have a few car pros in here that could answer this clearly in less than a minute. The reply would be saved in google and generations of people wondering about this will finally have their info.

I would love to find one too, there are too many variables in the tuning to state which will ultimately give the best. That is why my chart only uses the theoretical energy available to each fuel. There should only be minimal differences between gasoline and gasohol E10 and E20 in engine efficiency so theoretical values should be good enough. Subjectively can anyone tell if your car has 3.3% more power on E10 versus E20?

E85 cars would have to be highly modified if you wanted to have the same power as a E10 based fuel and would have a much higher fuel consumption to achieve it.

Diesel Engines are ultimately the only one that currently have a 30-40% better efficiency than the gasoline engine so have the best economy/performance ratio.

switched back to 91 after emptying the tank and im getting terrible mileage compared to before.. maybe its just for the first few km.

Now i notice how much power i lose. 85 makes a huge difference in power on the HRV.

If mileage doesnt fix itself might just keep 85, pay a bit more per month and enjoy good performance a mid rev

Benzine isnt available anywhere afaik

Gonna try manual mode, my auto mode seems like its giving me shit mileage lately.. Auto without econ mode auto switch gears at 2000 rpm and econ mode 1600. No power and probably loss of mileage by taking so long to get to a higher speed.. Pretty sure accelerating moderately faster in first and second to 40-50kph and then cruising is much better than going through 5 speeds to get to 40-50

It's probably happening because of the 25kph average i get in phuket, computer adjusted by acting like a dumbo

Edited by bearpolar

• 1 year later...
43 minutes ago, bangkokairportlink said:

Do you know if all cars that can use E20 can also use E85 ? Thanks.

No, cars that can use E20 may not necessarily be able to use E85.

Only use E85 if the car is compatible.

E85 cars can use E10 / E20.