New Mormon Temple in Pattaya?

OMGImInPattaya

On the expressway bypass road that bisects sukhumvit and heads on up to the international school, on the northern side at the second exit heading east there is a new building going up that is a spitting image for a Mormon Temple. It is a large windowless rectangular shape with three squareish towers along the roofline in the front and similar, but smaller, towers at the back. For all the world it reminds me of a typical Mormon Temple design. To my knowledge, there aren't many Latter Day Saints in Pattaya (or Thailand for that matter) but heaven knows there's allot of missionary work to be done here. A pretty oddball location and I don't see much provision for a parking area. Will be interesting to see what it turns out to be.

There sure is a lot of missionary work to be done in Pattaya. You might want to suggest they jump into the deep end right at the start and head to Soi 6. That should tie them down for a few years so they won't be annoying the rest of us sinners.

My guess it is some evangelical organization building the structure.... along the same highway , going north, in the back (near a village of houses) is a huge brick church/complex that was (is?) run by some South Korean evangelical Christian group. I do not know how big these congregations are, but as long as the evangelical preacher can send home photos of his magnificent church complex, say he is saving many lost souls, and has a monthly newsletter, he can find financial support for his personal income and mega church building. What good does a huge structure do in the middle of the countryside in helping the community?

(Note: there are many good, legit charitable nonprofit charities in Pattaya that DO help the needy. Such as: Father Ray Foundation, Hand to Hand Foundation, Fountain of Life, Pattaya Orphanage charity, Mercy Mission-Pattaya, Care 4 Kids... many organizations in Pattaya that ARE using donations the correct way--not building magnificent church buildings to satisfy ones ego. )

Have you a picture of that one/layout and an actual mormon temple/style/layout for comparison?

I'll take a snap the next time I'm driving by...Salt Lake Mormon temple and this structure is maybe 1/10th scale. This new pattaya structure has the same three pinnacles in the front and back and is rectangular in shape.

post-167660-0-14185000-1449975318_thumb.

Mormon Temple Salt Lake City

There sure is a lot of missionary work to be done in Pattaya. You might want to suggest they jump into the deep end right at the start and head to Soi 6. That should tie them down for a few years so they won't be annoying the rest of us sinners.

...unless we are sinning on the six of course.

A couple of years ago I saw a Mormon Church in Yasoton - in deepest darkest Isaan.

So they are here. As are Baptists on Jomtien Beach Road and a Norwegian Church off Thrapraya (I think?)

It's a problem if a structure with 150 watt loudspeakers goes up near to where you live..... at least 5 times a day. Now that is a big deal.

Most of the ones I have known are pretty good people. It was only after I read the book Under the Banner of Heavan did I learn the crackpot whackadoo beliefs they hold. It was a real eye opener.

Edited by NickJ

Here's a pic of what they're building...

attachicon.gifIMG_20151214_121824.jpg

It's a rectangle building with similar, but smaller, triple pointed towers at the back.

Looks like a Japanese "Love Hotel". And yes the Mormons I know are among the most level headed, otherwise upstanding, financially succesful people one encounters in the US. At the same time in an actual cult set up on a belief system a science fiction novelist would be hard pressed to write. Utterly crazed rubbish created from whole cloth by a known scammer and charlatan.

The mind boggles

Edited by arunsakda

Having worked in Salt Lake City Utah, and been around the USA a lot, I think your idea that this might be Mormon Temple building is reasonable. But I don't find any mention of a Pattaya temple in any of the LDS websites or other internet searches. They seem to have one temple in Bangkok but it is a fairly modest building from the exterior photos.

I thought the OP said it was 'windowless'? It's got at least a dozen windows on all four sides.

Other than that, do you have anything else to add to the thread...like what this building might be?

If you stopped that close to take a picture, maybe you should have just parked on the feeder and popped in, asked them yourself and solved the 'mystery'.

I live just down the street and the neighbors and myself all know what it is.

It could be argued that all religions are based on "whackadoo" belief systems. So if you're going to respect other religions (your choice), I suppose Mormonism deserves respect as well. I really liked the civilized way that Mormons handled their reaction to hit musical "The Book of Mormon" (compared to the bloody way Muslims would have predictably reacted to something similar directed at their prophet). But recently their dogma has gotten a lot more anti-gay and I don't think it's really possible to be Mormon AND gay anymore.

post-37101-0-62863700-1450163863_thumb.j

Edited by Jingthing

I thought the OP said it was 'windowless'? It's got at least a dozen windows on all four sides.

Other than that, do you have anything else to add to the thread...like what this building might be?

If you stopped that close to take a picture, maybe you should have just parked on the feeder and popped in, asked them yourself and solved the 'mystery'.

I live just down the street and the neighbors and myself all know what it is.

Because it's not that important...just curious about the interesting architecture that's all; and in a month or so they'll be finished and the mystery will be solved for those of us not in the the know.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

• 1 month later...

Hmm, this building is not erected from the LDS (Mormons) for sure.. but what is it and who constructs that ?

Does anybody found out something more already ?

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for an upmarket ladyboy soapie but have no information to support this wish.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya