Immigration in Chiang Mai as compared to other provinces.

Here in Chiang Mai to say the least it is a very slow process. Mainly due to lack of staff.

Do not get me wrong. I am not trying to complain here. I am more interested in what it is like else where, Here lately we have had 30 people given queue numbers for the 365 day extension and the rest told to come back tomorrow. As many as 15 have been told to return. They are not given numbers for the following day and many are starting to line up as early as 4:30 in the morning. Even the 90 day reports are having to have people come back tomorrow. That is partially are fault for not mailing them in. I give immigration full credit for providing the means to avoid that. It is partially immigration's fault in that they do not mention it when you come in to do your 90 day and they do not have a big sign in the window telling about it. complete with the address. Even here on Thai Visa we get people wondering where to send it although it has often been mentioned to send it to the airport office.

We are also having long waits very often but not all the time for the other visa services they handle there. Twice after closing hours I have walked by their office and seen them still doing paper work. The last time I saw 10 people in their waiting and the lady was still processing them at the 90 day desk. That was over half an hour past closing time.

I realize that the distance some people have to travel is a problem all over the country and am not interested in that. All offices have that problem.

What I am interested in is any other immigration center going through the things I have described here.

I do not fault the staff here that we see when we go in.

How is it in your many areas I hear Pattaya is good and Phuket has the odd problem but nothing consistent. Those are just the rumors I have heard. How is it for you other than having to travel long distances.

One other thing is they dropped the on line appointment system. It only allowed 10 a day and covered other visas that needed extensions every year. It didn't help the system any just 10 people out of over 50 people a day. The time was still the same for them 1/2 hour. Some came prepared and took less time some needed their hand held and took longer.

• Like 2

Longest I have waited in Phitlok is about 40 minutes. The last 10 years, usually in and out in less than 30 minutes. Nice people, seems efficient, as long as everything is in order, straight forward hassle free.

Glad its hassle free as its a 2.5hr drive to get there.

Thats "my" experience of Phitlok, others may vary.

I suggest that many of the issues that CM appear to have may be related to the high concentration of Expats in that region.

• Like 2

Yes Phitsanulok is vey efficient but they see relatively fewer expats than the tourist hot spots.

Last time I went for an extension 25 minutes,and it was packed out with Japanese workmen,dare I say I got preferential treatment as they let me jump the line,very good of them.

• Like 1

Longest I have waited in Phitlok is about 40 minutes. The last 10 years, usually in and out in less than 30 minutes. Nice people, seems efficient, as long as everything is in order, straight forward hassle free.

I suggest that many of the issues that CM appear to have may be related to the high concentration of Expats in that region.

My personal opinion is that there are also other reasons. I did use the Phitsanulok office 5 years ago (right after they moved from a nice central location way out to Makro pulling the same BS plan they have done here) but it is a dream for visa extension in and out in 30 minutes. They also have a decent intercity bus system that makes life easier. When I have to go next September I am planning on 12 hours at least in Chiang Mai and the possibility that I must return the next day to get my passport. There is such a time lag from the time your processed till you get your passport back and with no vehicle your looking at 1000 bahts for taxis there and back there and back and another 400 bahts if you have to return the next day. The reason we are being treated in this manner beggars belief when I hear express service stories from other parts of the country. Yes the number of expats has exploded in the last 5 years but the service has imploded along with it only making a bad situation worse. Sorry its a real sore spot with me and being a logical person I fail to see any logic in their actions.

• Like 1

My personal opinion is that there are also other reasons. I did use the Phitsanulok office 5 years ago (right after they moved from a nice central location way out to Makro pulling the same BS plan they have done here) but it is a dream for visa extension in and out in 30 minutes. They also have a decent intercity bus system that makes life easier. When I have to go next September I am planning on 12 hours at least in Chiang Mai and the possibility that I must return the next day to get my passport. There is such a time lag from the time your processed till you get your passport back and with no vehicle your looking at 1000 bahts for taxis there and back there and back and another 400 bahts if you have to return the next day. The reason we are being treated in this manner beggars belief when I hear express service stories from other parts of the country. Yes the number of expats has exploded in the last 5 years but the service has imploded along with it only making a bad situation worse. Sorry its a real sore spot with me and being a logical person I fail to see any logic in their actions.

As a "logical" person what solution(s) do you offer ?

You cannot extend your visa. You can get an extension of stay. The distinction between the two is significant. People are tripped up when they think that they need a visa when they actually need an extension of stay.

Over the past 7 years I have watched the situation at CM Imm go from decent to deplorable. To me, it's not necessarily the fault of the Immigration Staff, but mainly due to the seriously increased number of expats and other foreigners now living here. And a large majority of them are rude and impatient, and seem to think they are somehow more important that others. On the other hand, Immigration here seriously needs to double the size of it's staff. But in talking to one Immigration Official here, that decision has to be made in BKK, so CM authorities are helpless to do anything.

Something needs to be done. Most of us know what the problem is, but only BKK can provide the solution, so don't hold your breath.

• Like 2

I live in Nan and they are very efficient, I always see the same lady and has soon as she see's me even if there is other people

she takes care of me with a smile probably because there is not a lot of expats here, and thats the way I like it, takes about 10min.

Over the past 7 years I have watched the situation at CM Imm go from decent to deplorable. To me, it's not necessarily the fault of the Immigration Staff, but mainly due to the seriously increased number of expats and other foreigners now living here. And a large majority of them are rude and impatient, and seem to think they are somehow more important that others. On the other hand, Immigration here seriously needs to double the size of it's staff. But in talking to one Immigration Official here, that decision has to be made in BKK, so CM authorities are helpless to do anything.

Something needs to be done. Most of us know what the problem is, but only BKK can provide the solution, so don't hold your breath.

I always thought that Immigration offices were 'self-financing' ie the more customers =more revenue=more staff? Maybe that concept has changed or never was in the

first place?

Having to report to Jomtien Immigration, I really feel for those of you in Chiang Mai. For 90 day reports I go 'on-line' and only visit Jomtien annually for my Retirement Extension. Whilst this involves 2 visits I can only applaud the attitude and efficiency of the staff at Jomtien Immigration.

On Phuket it was also busy, but a 1 or 2 hour wait is a huge wait.. usually its 20 - 30 mins to be seen.

That said Phukets immigration staff were the nastiest, rudest, most horrible interactions I have ever had in 15 years here.. They would purposefully say and do things to make you angry playing a game of 'see if we can make them blow up' when you did see someone finally pop you could see their smirks.. It was one of the reasons I called it quits on Phuket as they were simply a reminder of the outsider nature and not so hidden dislike that is more common down there..

Chiang Mai may be over worked (or rather slow) but they have never been unprofessional with me, in fact rarely anything other than smiling and nice.. That goes a long way to helping me deal with the waiting.

• Like 1

I have been to Phitsanulok Immigration many times Charlie, always had good experiences there apart from one time when I was accused

of having a 25 day overstay, but no matter what business you deal with, there is always the one rotten apple in a barrel.

On Phuket it was also busy, but a 1 or 2 hour wait is a huge wait.. usually its 20 - 30 mins to be seen.

That said Phukets immigration staff were the nastiest, rudest, most horrible interactions I have ever had in 15 years here.. They would purposefully say and do things to make you angry playing a game of 'see if we can make them blow up' when you did see someone finally pop you could see their smirks.. It was one of the reasons I called it quits on Phuket as they were simply a reminder of the outsider nature and not so hidden dislike that is more common down there..

Chiang Mai may be over worked (or rather slow) but they have never been unprofessional with me, in fact rarely anything other than smiling and nice.. That goes a long way to helping me deal with the waiting.

Another satisfied "guest" LivinLOS? sad.pngsad.png

Possibly another cause is the use of agents - I use one myself, and I'm not here to debate whether that's a good use of my money or not. However, if you have a situation where agents get preferential treatment, then with the growth in the number of retirees in Chiang Mai AND staffing levels staying the same, it's not rocket science to work out some retirees are in for a long wait.

I don't know where one would get the data; however, it would be interesting to see the population trend for retirees in Chiang Mai over the last 10 years.

• Like 1

Welcome to being a "guest" in Thailand Northernjohn.

Thank you. It is a pleasure to live here.

The Immigration for the permission to stay can be a pain but it is only once a year and the 90 days are no problem I can mail them in or go in and make a day of it with a movie and a good meal.

Here in Chiang Mai we also have the choice of hiring an agent to do the paper work and establish a time for us. Costly for some as high as 5,500 baht just to do the work plus the 1,900 baht immigration charge or as low as 3,000 baht plus the 1,900.

I am glad to hear that the rest of the country does not have the delays we do here. Delays as has been pointed out here is from the massive influx of people choosing Chiang Mai as the place to live. Seems like the news of how great a place it is to live is spreading like wild fire.

Hopefully Immigration will catch up to them. It is actually a matter of time looks like it is going to be a long time. As was mentioned we have super staff just not enough of them.

• Like 2

In Udon Thani ..............................90 day reports usually take 1 minute once you reach the counter. No number system ( well there is but no -one uses it as usually there is no queue so no need for the number).

Other matters-----permission to stay extension ( done 2 now) have NEVER taken me longer than 30-45 mins once I reach the counter , but usually a queue waiting time up to 1 hr. Of course it helps to have the correct paperwork etc to get it done quickly.

Welcome to being a "guest" in Thailand Northernjohn.

Thank you. It is a pleasure to live here.

The Immigration for the permission to stay can be a pain but it is only once a year and the 90 days are no problem I can mail them in or go in and make a day of it with a movie and a good meal.

Here in Chiang Mai we also have the choice of hiring an agent to do the paper work and establish a time for us. Costly for some as high as 5,500 baht just to do the work plus the 1,900 baht immigration charge or as low as 3,000 baht plus the 1,900.

I am glad to hear that the rest of the country does not have the delays we do here. Delays as has been pointed out here is from the massive influx of people choosing Chiang Mai as the place to live. Seems like the news of how great a place it is to live is spreading like wild fire.

Hopefully Immigration will catch up to them. It is actually a matter of time looks like it is going to be a long time. As was mentioned we have super staff just not enough of them.

Yes, I understand what you are saying, and Thailand has the right to do what they like with you, and if you want to stay here where the positives far outweigh the negatives, you have to respect their laws and way of life. I don't agree with some of the hoops they make you go through, that is why I will never accept that we are "guests" in this country.

But I love living here and am prepared to go by their rules. I am not saying I would never break them, I will if it is to my advantage and I will get away with it, as long as I am not putting anyone else out in any way.

If any Farang says they will go by Thailands laws all the time, then I say they are liars.

• Like 2

In Nakhon Pathom and Samut Sakhon is no queuing for the 90-days reports, but extensions and other affairs can be very different. Sometimes very fast and smooth, but if you have bad luck and there are hundreds of immigrant workers, so it happens too that you have to come back the next day. But i got used to this and understand, that they can't employ enough officers to match these days when severel big factories decide to bring their workers for extensions at once.

• Like 1

Having observed Chiang Mai's early morning queue process on a number of occasions to report to the foreign consuls, I would have to differ with you Just1Voice.

The vast majority of CM expats are not rude and impatient. Yes, a few are. The few I've observed often have what some would consider a justifiable reason. Like arriving at 5:45 am, being No. 31 in the queue and discovering (at 8:45 am) that they only distribute 30 queue cards daily for retirement extensions. Why can't they put up a sign saying only 30 cards are distributed daily? post-68373-0-55222600-1450678008_thumb.j

They have other nonsense signs outside the office:

post-68373-0-87926500-1450678194_thumb.j

P.S. Notice everyone behind the guy pointing. Those are people who arrived before opening, hoping to process retirement extensions that day. No luck for them, either. And the lucky 30 who did receive queue cards aren't going to be "processed" in 30 minutes, like that sign says. Sure, their interview will be done in that time, but their passports won't be returned until well into the afternoon. It's at least a 12 hour process to obtain a retirement extension in Chiang Mai.

(These photos were not taken inside the Imm. office, but in the public area in the mall outside the office where people start to queue at 3 am in the dark.

• Like 2

As a "logical" person what solution(s) do you offer ?

Well for starters you try and find a "logical" person to deal with. That alone is a strikeout situation. Then you would hope that the various embassies who have no doubt received complaints would try and do something for you. Well these are patronage/hack positions from abroad so I guess that's another strikeout. There is an Illogical underlying situation known only to the powers that be at immigration. If you think on this long enough you should come up with some logical ideas. For some reason we are being "taken to the woodshed" So in summary as a "logical" person (which I presume you are) your dealing with an illogical system there for which there is no logical solution.

Edited by elgordo38

In Nakhon Pathom and Samut Sakhon is no queuing for the 90-days reports, but extensions and other affairs can be very different. Sometimes very fast and smooth, but if you have bad luck and there are hundreds of immigrant workers, so it happens too that you have to come back the next day. But i got used to this and understand, that they can't employ enough officers to match these days when severel big factories decide to bring their workers for extensions at once.

Bang you hit the nail on the head. You have come up with a "logical" solution and yes do not hold your breath. We are in the penalty box for some reason. Welcome to the central government system.

• Like 1

Part of the problem is requiring people to go to the immigration office that has jurisdiction for their area, instead of letting people use any office they want. There are simply too many foreigners in Chiang Mai. And even worse, Chiang Mai Immigration covers Chiang Mai, Lamphun, and Lampang provinces. So you have foreigners from those provinces that are required to use that office too. I'd be better if Lampang was turned in to a full service immigration center, and Lamphun was transfered to there.

I've used offices in other areas and in some places you are in and out in 30 minutes. Many people would be happy to use another office even with additional travel time, as they could turn it in to a mini vacation as well. Going to Phitsanulok would actually be faster for some, given that you can be in and out in 30 minutes.

Prefer if you would stay away from P'lok, thank you very much Sir................................blink.png

tongue.png

Yes the staff is nice.

I used to do everything in Chiang Mai before but since I've did one extension in Khon Kaen, I do now all my Immigration matters in Khon Kaen. Literally no waiting, staff help with copying all the relevant things and completing the form with you. In/Out for an extension in 30 mins and no need to queue early, you can come normal business hours and you get helped right away. So my official address is now in Khon Kaen.

Possibly another cause is the use of agents - I use one myself, and I'm not here to debate whether that's a good use of my money or not. However, if you have a situation where agents get preferential treatment, then with the growth in the number of retirees in Chiang Mai AND staffing levels staying the same, it's not rocket science to work out some retirees are in for a long wait.

I don't know where one would get the data; however, it would be interesting to see the population trend for retirees in Chiang Mai over the last 10 years.

Yes your use of an agent is your preference and business. If they are getting preferential treatment now that is another matter. I used an agent when I first arrived. The agent told me to come the next day and meet him there at 9.30 a.m. We walked in a side door and up to a desk. Some smiling and talking and then stamping and bang I had my extension of stay. Being a Newbie and not familiar with the system I paid an outrageous fee and swore to never use an agent again. Yes we are a "guest" here. If staying at a hotel the management bends over backwards to make a "guests" stay comfortable. Here with the immigration process the opposite is happening. OK you like it or leave it crowd have at it.