Western Union Questions

Am asking public help to share any legal justification for W.U.in Philippines to require converting USD into pesos prior to being sent to Cambodia. Once pesos arrive in Cambodia the W.U. converts the Philippine peso back into USD. Have not located one W.U. office in Cambodia that issues pesos.

Can one receive Philippine pesos in Thailand?

Related situation in Malaysia; W.U. in Kuala Lumpur says USD not available, you must receive local currency. When asking sales reps in either country for legal justification suddenly nobody knows anything.

Public help is greatly appreciated.

=============================

Background: I'm a US Pensioner with 2 direct deposits into a major Philippines bank (BPI), which refused my request for bank to bank transfer into Maybank (Cambodia), unless I returned into their office and signed some form which could not be done online even if notarized. They offered to send via W.U. about $2,400 which cost me $105.

It's not a matter of the legality, it's just how they work. It's exactly the same principle as foreign exchange companies.

If I am in Thailand and I have pesos and I want dollars, I would have to change from pesos to baht and then baht to dollars.

This gives the exchange companies (WU included) the maximum profit.

Personally, I wouldn't touch WU with a barge pole.

Maybe you wouldnt but, millions of people use it without issue everyday. Without it, they wouldnt be able to send money home to their families.

I'm glad for them, I really am. There's just easier and cheaper ways of doing it.

I send money abroad every month and WU would be an extremely expensive option for me.

There's always a cheaper alternative, just requires a little investigation.