Immigration Promenada One Stop Service 2016-2017

Tywais

Hmm, several other sources say that they've started using it at both locations in CM, plus at the airport when you apply for a re-entry permit. That's the real value of this forum, to secure first-hand accounts -- not simply to speculate. Especially now that they don't permit "observers" to come out and watch what's going on at the office while sitting a distance away on mall property. whistling.gif

How would immigration know that people hanging around in the mall are specifically there to spy on them? Do they have specially trained sniffer dogs or radar? And for that matter, who would want to? I could have more fun watching wet paint dry on a plank.

I was there only a few days ago to do my 90 day report, whole progress told 3 minutes, didn`t even bother collecting a number. This was at 2.30 in afternoon time, must have just got lucky I guess. If there would have been queues I would have - gone next door to the G4t, where for only 300 baht I`ve never waited more then 10 minutes before - cyberfarang rapper version.

Don`t know who or what your sources are but all I did was handed over my completed photo copies and passport, was not handed a dreaded how many times do I make love a week and who with or what bars do I drink at form.

What day were you there? Specifically? Did you stick around long enough to see if others were handed the form? (They may not be giving it to everyone) What about people doing re-entry permits? Were they given the form? Did you watch the morning queueing process? How many retirees were given queue numbers and did they received the Foreign National Info form.

This is all info that someone "trained" as an observer would have looked for. Immigration has a a good idea if someone is "really" watching them or just a regular customer like yourself walking in to take care of business and and not observing what other customers are doing.

Unbelievable!!! A person "trained" as an observer... It is no wonder they would ask someone such as this to stay away.

I don't see how this could help anyone to reside safely and legally in Thailand and to adapt and understand the local customs and traditions

• Like 1

Hmm, several other sources say that they've started using it at both locations in CM, plus at the airport when you apply for a re-entry permit. That's the real value of this forum, to secure first-hand accounts -- not simply to speculate. Especially now that they don't permit "observers" to come out and watch what's going on at the office while sitting a distance away on mall property. whistling.gif

How would immigration know that people hanging around in the mall are specifically there to spy on them? Do they have specially trained sniffer dogs or radar? And for that matter, who would want to? I could have more fun watching wet paint dry on a plank.

I was there only a few days ago to do my 90 day report, whole progress told 3 minutes, didn`t even bother collecting a number. This was at 2.30 in afternoon time, must have just got lucky I guess. If there would have been queues I would have - gone next door to the G4t, where for only 300 baht I`ve never waited more then 10 minutes before - cyberfarang rapper version.

Don`t know who or what your sources are but all I did was handed over my completed photo copies and passport, was not handed a dreaded how many times do I make love a week and who with or what bars do I drink at form.

What day were you there? Specifically? Did you stick around long enough to see if others were handed the form? (They may not be giving it to everyone) What about people doing re-entry permits? Were they given the form? Did you watch the morning queueing process? How many retirees were given queue numbers and did they received the Foreign National Info form.

This is all info that someone "trained" as an observer would have looked for. Immigration has a a good idea if someone is "really" watching them or just a regular customer like yourself walking in to take care of business and and not observing what other customers are doing.

If was the Friday before last at 2.30 pm. I went there to do my 90 day hello, I`m still here report with all intent and purposes of using the G4t. Looked over at immigration, no queues outside, went inside only 2 Asian people sitting in the indoor waiting area. There was a male officer standing there dressed in a very smart white overall type jacket. Saw me and I asked what I wanted? My 90 day I told him. He grabbed my paperwork and passport, flicked through it at lightening speed, stamped a receipt and then I was out of there. No idea what was happening before I arrived or what went on after I left, couldn`t care less. With the 300 baht I had saved by not using the G4t, stopped off on the way home and had a treble MacDonald`s gut burger that made me feel violently sick but still felt I had won the day. Thank the Lord for small mercies I think they call it.

methinks your getting more and more paranoid about this immigration procudures.not a healthy obsession.ps how is nj

So here is the rumor - as I was having my passport stamped, the officer said that next time I would be getting my extension in Lampang. No details, only that one sentence. It DOES mean that the workload of the Chiang Mai office is scheduled to be lessened, at least by reshuffling which people will be processed where. That should help all of us (immigration workers and expats alike) though timing and details are even less clear than the intended direction of how Immigration is considering a "fix." Chiang Mai has more than enough expats to process on its own. Now to see how staffing and facilities are done in expanding what is now a limited hours/ limited services office in Lampang.

If people hear more details of this story, I hope they will share what they learn. thumbsup.gif

There is another post where someone has identified there being a new Immigration office in Lamphun so perhaps one coming soon to Lampang as well.

Here's the post link. I read some of the first entries but haven't had time to read any updates yet:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/925839-new-immigration-office-in-lamphun/

The new office in Lampang, if there is to be one, sounds like a convenience for people who must travel quite a distance to Chiang Mai to do immigration business. That would be an improvement for many, no doubt. Looking at the situation more broadly...

I do not think that there is a concerted effort by the Department of Immigration to "screw" foreigners in Chiang Mai many of whom seem overwhelmed when dealing with a locale that is not "home" and are here, too often, on a wish and a prayer. Call it "Innocents Abroad," if you will.

Some posters have tracked for some time what has been going on regarding the influx of foreigners into Chiang Mai in recent years. They know that the influx is huge. I will leave it to NancyL to provide the "facts." (If the Department of Immigration will talk to her any longer, let alone be cooperative in giving information.)

At the same time, Thai Immigration has been dealing with some serious problems, arguably beginning with the Vietnam War when soldiers on leave would come to Chiang Mai to drink beer and get laid. The industry that profitted from those young urges grew exponetionally as did the cheap digs that the influx of near-do-wells (the pony-tailed "hippies" of the same generation) on the loose, or later, on scant or no pensions decided that Thailand is IT. Hey! Beer pretty much all day long except 2 - 5, and I can take a piss then! Of course not all non-immigrants are like that, but many Thai people, as tolerant as they are, have decided "enough is enough."

So, Thailand has taken a few steps in recent years regarding the foreigners making egregious play with the angles with any number of (remarkably tolerant) visa and extension-of-stay regulations. There are any number of dodges: the classic Visa runs, marriages of convenience, visa manipulation such as "education" visas, Internet "entrepreneurs," and dodging by various methods (You didn't know about that?) the much more than sensible extension requirements of retirement and other year-long extensions. I expect that most long-term visitors to ThaiVisa Chiang Mai know all about that, but newcomers may not, so this post might be useful. The heat is ON! Newcomers, be careful what you do manipulating the "system."

Then came the big bang (not the coup; you must read the news!) in Bangkok a few months ago and the fury of the Thai traditionaists was let loose (sort of). Still, the effort by the Department of Immigration has made to accomodate the influx of foreigners who do not play games, to play by the "rules" (every bureaucracy has rules), is quite remarkable, even in Chiang Mai where expat hawks hover overhead to watch every move they make (or don't make) to increase the convenience and comfort of the flood of people (many newcomers never having done much homework and rather helpless, apparently).

Any frontal assault, no matter how obnoxious or subtle, on the Department Immigration is absurd. You'd think people would learn that, but (sigh!) they don't.

Okay, okay! Back to the daily nitty-gritty. Keeping on posting here on the daily scene, if you can be accurate and complete . I wish everyone well! When you visit Immigration, just don't yell in a foreign language (like English), don't hover like a hawk or some sort of inspector general.

Cheers for a happy and peaceful stay in Thailand!

Edited by Mapguy
  • Like 2

Good post, Mapguy.

The one thing I would consider is whether it was solely "the Vietnam War when soldiers......" dealing with serious problems . In my research some years ago, it seems the more detailed "tracking" of newcomers to governmental areas of responsibility started because of the communism and its spreading to Thailand. Most notably in my research was the North and Northeast of Thailand, where communists were infiltrating (best word I could think of) villages and trying to "convert" the populace.

The Thai government/military was actively fighting with Communists into the 1980's.

I also believe this is what triggered the now infamous T.M. 30 and T.M. 28 filings.

Promenada is increasing their Regional Service Centre capabilities. Chiang Mai Immigration office is already a key tenant of Promenada, providing One Stop Services for foreign residents in the area as well as tourists and by 21 July 2016 the office space will expand to increase the number of desks.

http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/retail-revolutuion-promenada-revitalising-fun-shopping-mall/

Promenada is increasing their Regional Service Centre capabilities. Chiang Mai Immigration office is already a key tenant of Promenada, providing One Stop Services for foreign residents in the area as well as tourists and by 21 July 2016 the office space will expand to increase the number of desks.

http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/retail-revolutuion-promenada-revitalising-fun-shopping-mall/

Looks like the digital nomads and Immigration will be nearer to each other.

The new office in Lampang, if there is to be one, sounds like a convenience for people who must travel quite a distance to Chiang Mai to do immigration business. That would be an improvement for many, no doubt. Looking at the situation more broadly...

I do not think that there is a concerted effort by the Department of Immigration to "screw" foreigners in Chiang Mai many of whom seem overwhelmed when dealing with a locale that is not "home" and are here, too often, on a wish and a prayer. Call it "Innocents Abroad," if you will.

Some posters have tracked for some time what has been going on regarding the influx of foreigners into Chiang Mai in recent years. They know that the influx is huge. I will leave it to NancyL to provide the "facts." (If the Department of Immigration will talk to her any longer, let alone be cooperative in giving information.)

At the same time, Thai Immigration has been dealing with some serious problems, arguably beginning with the Vietnam War when soldiers on leave would come to Chiang Mai to drink beer and get laid. The industry that profitted from those young urges grew exponetionally as did the cheap digs that the influx of near-do-wells (the pony-tailed "hippies" of the same generation) on the loose, or later, on scant or no pensions decided that Thailand is IT. Hey! Beer pretty much all day long except 2 - 5, and I can take a piss then! Of course not all non-immigrants are like that, but many Thai people, as tolerant as they are, have decided "enough is enough."

So, Thailand has taken a few steps in recent years regarding the foreigners making egregious play with the angles with any number of (remarkably tolerant) visa and extension-of-stay regulations. There are any number of dodges: the classic Visa runs, marriages of convenience, visa manipulation such as "education" visas, Internet "entrepreneurs," and dodging by various methods (You didn't know about that?) the much more than sensible extension requirements of retirement and other year-long extensions. I expect that most long-term visitors to ThaiVisa Chiang Mai know all about that, but newcomers may not, so this post might be useful. The heat is ON! Newcomers, be careful what you do manipulating the "system."

Then came the big bang (not the coup; you must read the news!) in Bangkok a few months ago and the fury of the Thai traditionaists was let loose (sort of). Still, the effort by the Department of Immigration has made to accomodate the influx of foreigners who do not play games, to play by the "rules" (every bureaucracy has rules), is quite remarkable, even in Chiang Mai where expat hawks hover overhead to watch every move they make (or don't make) to increase the convenience and comfort of the flood of people (many newcomers never having done much homework and rather helpless, apparently).

Any frontal assault, no matter how obnoxious or subtle, on the Department Immigration is absurd. You'd think people would learn that, but (sigh!) they don't.

Okay, okay! Back to the daily nitty-gritty. Keeping on posting here on the daily scene, if you can be accurate and complete . I wish everyone well! When you visit Immigration, just don't yell in a foreign language (like English), don't hover like a hawk or some sort of inspector general.

Cheers for a happy and peaceful stay in Thailand!

This is typical of the rubbish posted by old people on this forum who seem to believe that anybody not on a retirement visa is somehow dodgy or manipulating the system.
  • Like 1

C.M. Immigration has now implemented the new intrusive information form; including a video and oral presentation explaining its importance. and they want the info they ask for! although they do not push for the facebook, LINE id's, and where you hang out. but they do want your Thai friend/family contact info, where they work, etc. the make, model and license plate number of your vehicle and your parents full names.

if you don't have some of the info they will wait while you go get it. rolleyes.gif

and don't forget you need to attach a photo to the form. so bring an additional photo.

Edited by Oscar2
  • Like 1

Mapguy OMG

I thought this Forum was about immigration not a History lesson

Most of us are old enough to know what has happened in the past we dont need to be reminded

Plus we are being screwed by Immigration Chiang Mai

Most other immigration offices including Chiang Rai run much smoothly

Maybe the reason was to move immigration into a bigger office space

But that could have been to use up unused space at promenade shopping mall Who knows??

As mark123456 stated he is 100% correct

A good day to you

Plus i have never felt better living in Chiang Mai

Went up to C M Airport office recently

Had a look at the new visa office and it's fantastic. Hardly anybody there - just a few seats at the front occupied. Better deal than Pomenada- no one having to sit outside in the heat- lots of seats inside. However, I didn't see a PP photo or photocopy place.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

C.M. Immigration has now implemented the new intrusive information form; including a video and oral presentation explaining its importance. and they want the info they ask for! although they do not push for the facebook, LINE id's, and where you hang out. but they do want your Thai friend/family contact info, where they work, etc. the make, model and license plate number of your vehicle and your parents full names.

if you don't have some of the info they will wait while you go get it. rolleyes.gif

and don't forget you need to attach a photo to the form. so bring an additional photo.

LOL Parents dead and don't have a vehicle. Don't have any Thai friends either, so that just my address for my wife and her phone number, workplace..

Do they really want relatives, other than wife, name, address and ph #? If so, to what extent- cousins, uncles etc etc?

including a video and oral presentation explaining its importance

So why is it necessary? I can't think of a single reason why they want my wife's workplace or my parents names.

LOL Parents dead and don't have a vehicle. Don't have any Thai friends either, so that just my address for my wife and her phone number, workplace..

Do they really want relatives, other than wife, name, address and ph #? If so, to what extent- cousins, uncles etc etc?

So why is it necessary? I can't think of a single reason why they want my wife's workplace or my parents names.

I don't condone the I/O data grab but 'parents names' are used in making positive ID of an individual, especially with common names; smith, jones etc

I don't condone the I/O data grab but 'parents names' are used in making positive ID of an individual, especially with common names; smith, jones etc

the fact that parents have passed on will not excuse you from providing their names. don't have any Thai friends? that's odd. very odd. facepalm.gif they only want the contact of one Thai person; whether it's a wife or friend is up to you. but they want to know how to contact that person; meaning not just a mobile number. if you have a wife (assuming she is Thai of course), then you have already provided your parents names to the MOFA when you got married as it's required on the form.

they are saying it is necessary so they can apprehend foreign criminals. if you have nothing to hide, then what's the problem?

Even if the CEO of Promenada had come to talk, I doubt he was prepared to talk about what plans Immigration had for the space Promenada had given to them.

In fact, I need to give him a heads-up that he'll be ambushed with questions about Immigration, because now that he's not coming, people are telling me that they'd plan to come to hear what was going on at Immigration Promenada (as if he knew!). Well, actually if you look at every customer comfort improvement at that office, it's been provided by the mall, i.e. inside aircon waiting area, chairs, wifi, TVs that were suppose to be used for lighted queue number signs but aren't, etc.

Yawn !!!

Come from your wooden horse and go to sleep.

Hello Khun Mark12345 and Lizard2010!

Thank you for all your complements! wai.gif I do suggest, however, that newcomers to this site could use a little history from time to time instead of reading just the posted bitchin' and moaning posts in their need for information about the details working with the local Immigration office. It helps to understand some background to the hassle.

Hello, also, Everyone Else,

Here is a report of very recent experience at the Chiang Mai Immigration Office at Promenada.

The new Foreign National Information Form (copy attached as used in the CM office), according to two officers with whom I spoke, has been in use nationally since the beginning of July. PLEASE NOTE CAREFULLY the information on the first page of the form, because many people may HAVE TO DO SOME HOMEWORK before they go to the office to do business.

The use of the form appears to be a work in progress. There is no form number, and it is hard to find on the net. One officer's interpretation of what is a mandatory entry may differ from another's, but the (Promenada) officers working on retirement extensions, re-entry visas and 90-day reports had what's posted here to do. I should add that the officers themselves were not happy but resigned to dealing with the form.

Specifically (randomly),

1: I repeat, DO YOUR HOMEWORK before you go to the office to get the information you need, especially contact and residence information

2: You will need an additional passport photo, miscelaneous passport size of any colour.

3:

• Ignore all references to "Recording Person" in paragraph 1. That's Thaiglish for the officer helping with the form and others such as agents filling the form out for clients. That portion will be completed when done or recorded.

• Information on social media (noted as "optional") was not required, asnoted on the form.

• People who did not have sufficient information --- other than contact information --- were not being pestered.

• Bank account information, although obviously pertinent in the case of retirement visas and extensions was not demanded or asked for in the case of an extension of stay where the information is relevant, nor was it asked for at other points.

• Some questions left blank were acceptable or where "None" was entered, such as "Frequently Visited Places or Premises." (They are not interested in how many girl or boyfriends you might have unless, of course, as contacts in paragraph 2.7.)

• Provide the address information but never mind the awkwardness of the restricted nature of the lines where address information is inserted. Addresses can be complicated. Just be clear about the address.

Please understand that your mileage will certainly vary. Actually, it really isn't that hard to fill out this form once you get to it. The significant information that really is useful, in my view, is the contact information although many may not have immediate friends to refer to. Information about parents names? Although it seems quite unnecessary, that might help in rare cases with positive identification of individuals. The laugh of the day was having to fill out TWO of the forms minutes apart: one for the extension officer and one for the re-entry visa. Note: You might need more photos! Come prepared.

Being prepared helps with the whole application process. The extension officer took less than five minutes to review the forms. It is worth being careful ahead of time. If you are not prepared, you are given the chance to go get what you need and return. Getting a new photo, however, dragged, since an officer in training was on duty who struggled with the task. Still, the total initial processing time was well within 10 minutes. The completed application went in the basket which, after just a a couple were placed there, was carried for the final approval by the chief. They were okayed in less than ten minutes --- primarily since more processing is done at the place of the initial interview than before.

The usual bunch of complaining people (and at least one person harrassing staff) were there, but in my view there is much less to complain about EXCEPT the awful uncomfortable wait at the dawn of day for the office to open. That problem has not been solved, but the system in place --- short of pre-booking on-line (not currently available) or using an agent --- does work reasonably well with some consideration for people, such as allowing applicants (once they have quota numbers) to return later in the day if they have high numbers.

On the day I attended, there were roughly 30 in line for retirement and medical extensions, 10 for re-entry permits, and more than 50 for 90-day reports at 08:30. When to go? Your mileage will vary. My advice is go early --- like 06:00 --- and take a book. Extensions? Twenty a day! Only one officer (with an assistant). There are three quick-order places open from about 07:00 serving a variety of food so you won't starve. Not bad, either.

There were two "visa agents" at the head of the line, each with one customer.

I visited the visa agency (G4T --- or whatever it is called) located next to the copy shop next to the office. Both of those services opened at 7:00AM. My view of the agency was that it is very amateurishly managed. No price list posted or available except provided verbally. Others can provide this information. The photocopy shop worked very well.

A note to ThaiVisa Admin: I suggest that some information at the top of the pinned topic be changed!

Foreign National Information Form (CM).pdf

Edited by Mapguy
  • Like 2

Hello...

The usual bunch of complaining people (and at least one person harrassing staff) were there, but in my view there is much less to complain about EXCEPT the awful uncomfortable wait at the dawn of day for the office to open. That problem has not been solved, but the system in place --- short of pre-booking on-line (not currently available) or using an agent --- does work reasonably well with some consideration for people, such as allowing applicants (once they have quota numbers) to return later in the day if they have high numbers.

On the day I attended, there were roughly 30 in line for retirement and medical extensions, 10 for re-entry permits, and more than 50 for 90-day reports at 08:30. When to go? Your mileage will vary. My advice is go early --- like 06:00 --- and take a book. Extensions? Twenty a day! Only one officer (with an assistant). There are three quick-order places open from about 07:00 serving a variety of food so you won't starve. Not bad, either.

doesn't mirror my experience this week at all. i got there at 08:45 Monday? or Tuesday? - i forget now!. there was only 1 person in the queue for re-entry permit, about 12 in the queue for tourist visa extension, 7 in the retirement extension queue, nobody in the medical extension queue, but about 35 people (at least) in the 90-day queue! i was out the door at 11:30 (would have been quicker but 3 people ahead of me had not completed the new information form properly and were sent out to get a photo taken next-door, take a photo of their license plate using their mobile, call and get their Thai friend's work address, etc.) had that not been an issue i would have been out by 10:45.

6:00 A.M. cheesy.gif

i would also add that i didn't notice any visa agents (except that one independent agent with the backpack that i would always see at the airport branch) 'looking for customers'. i don't think she's Thai - she looks Rohingya or Indian or something? but no customers that day.... and there were the duo of queue sitters who are currently being laughed off FB for charging 500 Baht per person. they were first in the queue and actually had a customer - a farang with a leg injury who arrived on crutches at 8:55. so a bad day for the "Immigration services sector".

Edited by Oscar2

the fact that parents have passed on will not excuse you from providing their names. don't have any Thai friends? that's odd. very odd. facepalm.gif they only want the contact of one Thai person; whether it's a wife or friend is up to you. but they want to know how to contact that person; meaning not just a mobile number. if you have a wife (assuming she is Thai of course), then you have already provided your parents names to the MOFA when you got married as it's required on the form.

they are saying it is necessary so they can apprehend foreign criminals. if you have nothing to hide, then what's the problem?

It's my business if I have Thai friends or not. Calling me odd is flaming.

if you have nothing to hide, then what's the problem?

Oh dear. Not a fan of civil liberties then?

Thank you for all your complements! wai.gif I do suggest, however, that newcomers to this site could use a little history from time to time instead of reading just the posted bitchin' and moaning posts in their need for information about the details working with the local Immigration office. It helps to understand some background to the hassle.

Here is a report of very recent experience at the Chiang Mai Immigration Office at Promenada.

The new Foreign National Information Form (copy attached as used in the CM office), according to two officers with whom I spoke, has been in use nationally since the beginning of July. PLEASE NOTE CAREFULLY the information on the first page of the form, because many people may HAVE TO DO SOME HOMEWORK before they go to the office to do business.

The use of the form appears to be a work in progress. There is no form number, and it is hard to find on the net. One officer's interpretation of what is a mandatory entry may differ from another's, but the (Promenada) officers working on retirement extensions, re-entry visas and 90-day reports had what's posted here to do. I should add that the officers themselves were not happy but resigned to dealing with the form.

Specifically (randomly),

1: I repeat, DO YOUR HOMEWORK before you go to the office to get the information you need, especially contact and residence information

2: You will need an additional passport photo, miscelaneous passport size of any colour.

3:

• Ignore all references to "Recording Person" in paragraph 1. That's Thaiglish for the officer helping with the form and others such as agents filling the form out for clients. That portion will be completed when done or recorded.

• Information on social media (noted as "optional") was not required, asnoted on the form.

• People who did not have sufficient information --- other than contact information --- were not being pestered.

• Bank account information, although obviously pertinent in the case of retirement visas and extensions was not demanded or asked for in the case of an extension of stay where the information is relevant, nor was it asked for at other points.

• Some questions left blank were acceptable or where "None" was entered, such as "Frequently Visited Places or Premises." (They are not interested in how many girl or boyfriends you might have unless, of course, as contacts in paragraph 2.7.)

• Provide the address information but never mind the awkwardness of the restricted nature of the lines where address information is inserted. Addresses can be complicated. Just be clear about the address.

Please understand that your mileage will certainly vary. Actually, it really isn't that hard to fill out this form once you get to it. The significant information that really is useful, in my view, is the contact information although many may not have immediate friends to refer to. Information about parents names? Although it seems quite unnecessary, that might help in rare cases with positive identification of individuals. The laugh of the day was having to fill out TWO of the forms minutes apart: one for the extension officer and one for the re-entry visa. Note: You might need more photos! Come prepared.

Being prepared helps with the whole application process. The extension officer took less than five minutes to review the forms. It is worth being careful ahead of time. If you are not prepared, you are given the chance to go get what you need and return. Getting a new photo, however, dragged, since an officer in training was on duty who struggled with the task. Still, the total initial processing time was well within 10 minutes. The completed application went in the basket which, after just a a couple were placed there, was carried for the final approval by the chief. They were okayed in less than ten minutes --- primarily since more processing is done at the place of the initial interview than before.

I visited the visa agency (G4T --- or whatever it is called) located next to the copy shop next to the office. Both of those services opened at 7:00AM. My view of the agency was that it is very amateurishly managed. No price list posted or available except provided verbally. Others can provide this information. The photocopy shop worked very well.

A note to ThaiVisa Admin: I suggest that some information at the top of the pinned topic be changed!

Thanks for posting the new form. Do you know if one HAS to put an address in the old country, as my home is now in Thailand? I do not have an address in the old country.

Thaibeachlovers,

I put down my Thai residence address. It was accepted without question twice (since I had to submit two forms for two immigration processes that day) without any question at all.

Edited by Mapguy
  • Like 1

Thaibeachlovers,

I put down my Thai residence address. It was accepted without question twice (since I had to submit two forms for two immigration processes that day) without any question at all.

I should add that I think this form is still a "work in progress." However, some preparation in advance, particularly with the names of contacts and their contact information will be helpful. You could put your hotel or condo, guest house, or landlord (if Thai) for a Thai contact. And, even if temporary, as with short-term tourists seeking an extension, then put in someone abroad if no friends in Thailand or leave that blank. Also, the information on any licensed vehicle, if you have one. Secondly, make a photocopy of this form to keep for multiple uses.

It is obvious that some foreigners don't have a vehicle. In such a case, the instructions on the form read: if any item does not apply, please write "-"

All in all, take a commonsensical approach to provide what is basically normal contact information. But I ignored paragraph 2.6, for example. No problem.

Be prepared for changes! Otherwise, If I read this right, I think that the Immigration officers will go nuts before anyone else does over this new paper work!

Meanwhile, make a general photocopy (and take additional photos!) and just submit the form for all the purpioses shuwn on the form itself (copy attached above).

Edited by Mapguy
  • Like 1

I went in for my retirement extension and for my first (and maybe last ) trip to Promenada it all went well. Yes, living in a remote corner of Lampang Province, I came in the prior day and got my bank statement certifying sufficient deposit, then arrived in the pitch dark of 4 AM to assure being in the morning group of processing (and I was 4th in line.)

Thanks to an earlier post I knew the roadway gate needed to be rounded, then it was a matter of following arrival #3 to the waiting area.

One huge improvement that I had not noticed in prior posts is that the "signing-off/ authorization by the senior officer was done withing 15-20 minutes of the interview, so no waiting for batch processing and collection at either 1PM or 4:30 PM. That alleviated a lot more waiting or another trip back. Good improvement from the early posts about process at Promenada.

So here is the rumor - as I was having my passport stamped, the officer said that next time I would be getting my extension in Lampang. No details, only that one sentence. It DOES mean that the workload of the Chiang Mai office is scheduled to be lessened, at least by reshuffling which people will be processed where. That should help all of us (immigration workers and expats alike) though timing and details are even less clear than the intended direction of how Immigration is considering a "fix." Chiang Mai has more than enough expats to process on its own. Now to see how staffing and facilities are done in expanding what is now a limited hours/ limited services office in Lampang.

If people hear more details of this story, I hope they will share what they learn. thumbsup.gif

Does anyone have more info as to when or where the LAMPANG office might open?

post-68308-0-16271200-1468392107_thumb.p

Specifically (randomly),

3:

The only reason I commented on your earlier post was because you seemed to be casting aspersions on anybody who wasn't on an annual extension. I don't consider I have ever participated in any 'dodges' when applying for the various different visas that have enabled me to stay here for 12 years without ever doing a yearly extension. The visas I have applied for and been granted were all offered by the Thai immigration authorities and I have complied with the rules regarding each visa. They have computers, they are well aware of how much time I have spent in the country and how much time I have spent outside the country. If they had a problem with my activities, I am sure they would have let me know by now.

The only people who seem to have a problem with people like me are foreigners on annual extensions. I will actually be applying for a non-imm 'o' visa in the near future but I won't be extending that either. If anything, you should be pleased that many of us choose to avoid visiting the local immigration office. If we didn't, you might have to get up even earlier to be assured of your place in the queue every year

Today I went to Imm. Prom. to get a re-entry permit and had a chance to observe the morning processing of the retirement extension queue. They are still holding to 20 queue tickets/day. About six people were left without queue tickets and a Thai lady with a foreigner who had received a ticket did a nice job of politely pleading the case that surely they could somehow take care of six extra people for the day. The six without tickets stood around politely, not interfering while she talked with the two Imm. officials who had checked documents. After a time, one of the Imm. officials went back into the office "to check" and emerged to declare that those with extensions that expired today or tomorrow would be seen, but the rest should come back tomorrow. Of course, they weren't given queue tickets for tomorrow. One of those turned away had been waiting since 7 am.

It would seem that they could increase the quota to 25 now that they don't have to run the passports over to the Airport Office for approval. The Imm. officer processing retirement extensions is efficient and had plowed thru 4 before they'd been open for an hour.

Incidentally, a CMU intern processed my re-entry permit with her work checked by the supervisor -- the one who is now able to sign off on retirement extensions.

Still no lighted "queue number being served" signs despite being open for more than a year. Still no lights in the outdoor waiting area until 6 am. The early comers said it is quite unsafe to arrive at 5 am and be stumbling around, what with all the little steps and everything.