Canadian nabbed for heroin dealing in Pai

webfact

Article is a bit unclear; did both bags weight 16g, or was that the combined weight? guess we'll never know what he really had or said, it's the Thai police <deleted>! Lol. still, if it was a combined weight of 16g he would only be looking at 1-5 years and a hefty fine..... PROVIDING! he hadn't said he was selling to other tourists. Now he's looking at 5-20 years - perhaps this is an indication that both bags weighed 16g each, better chances of a leniency with a straight up confession of dealing. I'm guessing it'll be a hefty prison sentence he's looking at regardless now. Poor silly sod.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may know this guy. He may be a retiree from my work. The age is off but the name matches. He may have been born in 53. He played in a band in Toronto and held down a good job for many years. I don't know if he struggled with addiction.

Conflicting reports in Canada on social media saying he died of a heart attack. Now I'm wondering if this is true and maybe he had a heart attack after the arrest.

If anyone sees any more news on this can you let me know?

We're looking into it from this side. I just heard about it an hour ago as I arrived home in Canada from 6 weeks in Thailand.

Cheers,

Tony

His actions are the symtoms of disease, not crime.

And what disease might that be? Buying, possession and selling heroin are all crimes the last time I looked.

The disease is that some people use heroin. Maybe him also. BUT the crime is that he was dealing in heroin. And that probably means that life as he knew it is now likely to change rapidly for the worse.

"Live by the sword, die by he sword" "C'est la vie" (that is life).

To use drugs (Heroin) is not a disease, it is an addiction. In a true disease, some part of the body is in a state of abnormal physiological functioning which causes the undesirable symptoms. I.E. cancer where it is mutated cells which one can point to as evidence of a psychological abnormality. In addiction, there is no such physiological malfunction. Cancer is not a choice, but drug taking is, therefore, the latter cannot be classified as a true disease.

The story seems to have lost its momentum.

One wonders why.

If he were a typical poster boy/scapegoat arrest, the coverage would at least have hit national rather than only regional media, and we would have government statements and arrest photos.

That does not seem to be the case here.

Edited by HooHaa

The crime was getting caught.

It's not as though he was selling outside school gates to youngsters.

Consenting adults would of been his target market.

If not him someone else will be along shortly.

Probably grassed up by one of his competitors.

Maybe he is a user only trying to fund his own habit.

Unfortunately he was caught in Thailand where sentences can be very severe.

In addiction, there is no such physiological malfunction

Yes,there is, that's what the addiction is and what causes withdrawal symptoms. Right now in the US you have doctors over prescribing Vicodin,Oxycontin and a bunch of other pain killers. When the insurance runs out some patients are addicted and turn to street drugs to ease the withdrawal. They need help to get their lives back not people judging them. Saying 'serves him right cuz he should have known better' accomplishes nothing.. IMO, there's nothing wrong with sending a dealer to jail or sending an addict away for crimes he did but if he's an addict he needs help the same way a cancer patient does.

Edited by Rob13

Yes,there is, that's what the addiction is and what causes withdrawal symptoms. Right now in the US you have doctors over prescribing Vicodin,Oxycontin and a bunch of other pain killers. When the insurance runs out some patients are addicted and turn to street drugs to ease the withdrawal. They need help to get their lives back not people judging them. Saying 'serves him right cuz he should have known better' accomplishes nothing.. IMO, there's nothing wrong with sending a dealer to jail or sending an addict away for crimes he did but if he's an addict he needs help the same way a cancer patient does.

Firstly, the topic which was brought up by another member relates to the use of heroin being a disease, which it is not, it is a choice that can lead to addiction. Secondly, I pointed out that physiological diseases are usually caused by a malfunction of a body's organ, for example, asthma, hypertension, diabetes, glaucoma and strokes. These are normally caused when the normal or proper functioning of the body is affected because the body's organs have malfunctioned, not working or the actual cellular structures have changed over a period of time causing illness.

The diseases mentioned are caused by physiological malfunctions and are not brought about by choice, which the taking of illicit drug is, so to suggest addiction and withdrawal is a physiological malfunction, either highlights that you have no actual understanding or at the very least, have done little if any research before posting your comment. Had you done so then you would find that changes in the brain, evidenced by brain scans of heavy substance users (addicts), do not represent a malfunctioning brain, in fact, they are quite normal, as research into neuroplasticity has shown.

As for addiction, based on criteria from the WHO and American Psychiatric Association, it must meet at least three of the following. Tolerance, withdrawal, limited control, negative consequences, neglected or postponed activities, significant time or energy spent and a desire to cut down. Are any of these a physiological malfunction, don't think so, I would say brought on through the ingesting of drugs. (Choice)

Insofar as withdrawal, this occurs because your brain works like a spring. Drugs and alcohol are brain depressants that push down the spring, suppress your brain's production of neurotransmitters like noradrenaline. When one stops using drugs or alcohol, it's like taking the load of the spring, therefore, you brain rebounds by producing a surge of adrenaline that causes the withdrawal symptoms. Nothing to do with physiological malfunctioning, all to do with choice.

I for one have not judged anyone and yes addicts do need help to get their lives in order, that is providing they want to do so, many do not. Who said anything about serves him right, I certainly didn't. Unfortunately, most addicts tend to commit crimes to fuel their habit and that is where they should be punished and also hopefully, rehabilitation will be provided but it is certainly up to the individual as to their failure or success.

Edited by Si Thea01

I do not justify or support his choices in any way

only understand that, perhaps in a moment of despair

people do dumb things..............

You have to be pretty desperate or pretty darn stupid

to be a foreigner and sell heroin in Pai.

In a moment of despair one does not decide off the bat to sell heroin, the perp is a user deduced from he knows where to buy and where to sell , no mercy .

Firstly, the topic which was brought up by another member relates to the use of heroin being a disease, which it is not, it is a choice that can lead to addiction. Secondly, I pointed out that physiological diseases are usually caused by a malfunction of a body's organ, for example, asthma, hypertension, diabetes, glaucoma and strokes. These are normally caused when the normal or proper functioning of the body is affected because the body's organs have malfunctioned, not working or the actual cellular structures have changed over a period of time causing illness.

The diseases mentioned are caused by physiological malfunctions and are not brought about by choice, which the taking of illicit drug is, so to suggest addiction and withdrawal is a physiological malfunction, either highlights that you have no actual understanding or at the very least, have done little if any research before posting your comment. Had you done so then you would find that changes in the brain, evidenced by brain scans of heavy substance users (addicts), do not represent a malfunctioning brain, in fact, they are quite normal, as research into neuroplasticity has shown.

As for addiction, based on criteria from the WHO and American Psychiatric Association, it must meet at least three of the following. Tolerance, withdrawal, limited control, negative consequences, neglected or postponed activities, significant time or energy spent and a desire to cut down. Are any of these a physiological malfunction, don't think so, I would say brought on through the ingesting of drugs. (Choice)

Insofar as withdrawal, this occurs because your brain works like a spring. Drugs and alcohol are brain depressants that push down the spring, suppress your brain's production of neurotransmitters like noradrenaline. When one stops using drugs or alcohol, it's like taking the load of the spring, therefore, you brain rebounds by producing a surge of adrenaline that causes the withdrawal symptoms. Nothing to do with physiological malfunctioning, all to do with choice.

I for one have not judged anyone and yes addicts do need help to get their lives in order, that is providing they want to do so, many do not. Who said anything about serves him right, I certainly didn't. Unfortunately, most addicts tend to commit crimes to fuel their habit and that is where they should be punished and also hopefully, rehabilitation will be provided but it is certainly up to the individual as to their failure or success.

Another liberal who refuses to accept free choice, these addicts knew what they were getting into on the outset. Tough shi....st.

From another picture I've seen he looks more like 70 year old than 53. Well I guess that he must have been addicted to the drugs he was selling, just like the Danish guy that was arrested here 2 months ago , he looked like 65 but was in his 40's.

Niagara blues community mourns Rich Dawson

It was supposed to be a 'welcome back' show for Rich and the Poor Boys, celebrating band leader Rich Dawson's return from his long overseas vacation.

Instead, Saturday's show at The Dunn Street Grill in Niagara Falls will be a tribute to him. The veteran blues musician died of a heart attack last week in Thailand, just days before his return home. He was 62.

http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2016/02/28/niagara-blues-community-mourns-rich-dawson

RIP Richard.

From another picture I've seen he looks more like 70 year old than 53. Well I guess that he must have been addicted to the drugs he was selling, just like the Danish guy that was arrested here 2 months ago , he looked like 65 but was in his 40's.

I wonder if anyone is learning from these simple observations? Nah, I don't think so. Users are users are users and few ever change, unfortunately sad.png

Another liberal who refuses to accept free choice, these addicts knew what they were getting into on the outset. Tough shi....st.

Many feel the same way: Tough Shxx

So far that way has not worked out so well.

Sure without a doubt people have to be held responsible for their decisions and conduct and what they do and the ramifications of what they do while the highly addictive drugs, such as heroin are a near perfect example of what not to do in life.

Unfortunately there will always be a percent of the people that will try the drug under any number of social circumstances while a percent of those people that try the drug will eventually become a heroin addict.

Knowing this, the rest of society has to anticipate the ramifications and prepare for the ramifications by alternative means of addressing the related social problems while throwing the users in Jail or prison is not the answer to this social problem....as proven by 100 years or more of harsh drug related laws and the harsh enforcement of those laws.

In the end the way it has been for nearly 100 ears and the way it remains at present is more or less socially anti productive.

It has been proven by other countries that decriminalizing the use of the drugs is far more socially productive while treating the users not as criminals rather as misguided individuals that are in need of assistance to get off the drugs and get back on track to being a productive citizen someway somehow....is a more successful and social rewarding means of addressing the related drug consumption problems

If the amount of money spent on the laws and enforcing those laws were spent on alternative social programs that try to reverse drug addiction I am certain they would be far more successful than the way the problem is addressed at present.

Meantime...those that sell the poison have to be focused on more so than the users while serious efforts at prevention are yet to be realized and need to be applied far more than they have been in the past or at present.

The problem is not going to go away while the current status quo has done very little to address the problem in any effective way as we see the growth of production and the growth of consumption continues unabated under their watch.

Alternative means and ways of addressing the social ramifications is not going to stop the supply and the consumption while no one is saying that rather the way society considers the use of drugs and the drug users and how they are accounted for needs to change as the present way is creating additional social problems that will grow all the worse if the current policies are sustained.

It has been pointed out before, while they are correct...but I know you can not simply reverse 100 years of government policies that are firmly embedded as the agreed upon ways and means to address the supply and consumption of recreational purpose drugs consumed for self indulgent pleasure purposes and the resultant social ramifications attached to the supply and use of said recreational purpose drugs.

Eventually the whole recreational drug consumption scene will evolve where the use of the drugs and the users are addressed in other ways....but more than likely will take another 100 years....as sometimes people and societies in general are slow to learn while entrenched bureaucracy is even slower to change.

Cheers

Trying to put this together, it sounds like the arrested man was born in 1953, not 53 years old, so was age 62. Which solves the "mystery" of his older appearance. Also that he died of a reported heart attack soon after being arrested. Not condoning the crime he was charged with, it seems logical that there is a link between his arrest and his death. That seems newsworthy to me ... why isn't this being reported about in Thailand? Of course being arrested under a very serious charge as an older man with medical problems would be understandably very traumatic, I still think the public would be interested to know more about what happened.

• 2 weeks later...

Phew... now there is a man who's shoes I would not want to be in... there's drugs and drugs....heroine is top of the no list... anywhere ... sadly he probably deserves what he will get.. let's just hope his country will do more to try to help than the uk would do. .

Phew... now there is a man who's shoes I would not want to be in... there's drugs and drugs....heroine is top of the no list... anywhere ... sadly he probably deserves what he will get.. let's just hope his country will do more to try to help than the uk would do. .

Didn't read the thread, huh? facepalm.gif

He is in bad shape. Good luck, mate. coffee1.gif

Good luck ? Jail the bastard.
Who the <deleted> are you to tell me what I can and cannot put in my body? You pay my bills? Didn't think so...mind your own <deleted> business!!

I bet he's wacking himself in the head with that crutch right about now.

Apparently he is dead.

Happened after his arrest in Thailand.

Doesn't anyone actually READ threads before mouthing off nonsense? facepalm.gif

I for one think the story of how he died is NEWS that is sadly being ignored.

Charged with a crime. Yes.

But soon after dead.

Doesn't anyone else find that disturbing?

Edited by Jingthing

Apparently he is dead.

But soon after dead.

You say "apparently" which is hardly definitive. Where did you hear that he'd died just out of interest?

And the "how" sounds doubly cryptic. Is it possible for you to elaborate on the forum, or via PM?

Apparently he is dead.

But soon after dead.

Wow!

Carefully reads through every single previous post before making each of his 67,279 posts!

The POTY contest needs a new category: Lifetime Achievement Award.

Edited by Gecko123

Apparently he is dead.

But soon after dead.

Given you have over 67,000 posts - around 20 every day over the past 10 years (do you actually have a life outside of Thai Visa?), I can only assume your first question is rhetorical....

As for your second question - why would you find that someone dying of a heart attack, especially given the background and circumstances of the situation, to be disturbing?

Use your imagination. If you're older and on medications and/or have a condition and you get sent to a prison here ...

Also people are convicting a dead man that never faced trial.

The info about his death was in more recent posts. Please show some respect and stop posting hostile posts as if he's alive.

Kind of dumb to just read the op and then post blind.

Yeah musicians are often druggies. His story makes more sense knowing that background.

Edited by Jingthing