ID Card for farangs

6 hours ago, Thanyaburi Mac said:

"Passport unnecessary"?  Hmmm, seems to me that a hotel, bank branch, others, can always ask for your passport, if only because that's what they're used to, and what it says in their instructions.  This ID Card for Farangs, with a 6 or an 8, is pretty new and The Word may well have not yet reached all endusers.

Mac

I have been using the ID card at the Post Office when posting stuff abroad and also at Prachuap Khiri Khan Hospital to get registered there ready for an operation this month. Seem to be charged the same as Thai people at the moment. Also use at my bank as well. All with no problems once they realise what it is.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, worrab said:

I have been using the ID card at the Post Office when posting stuff abroad and also at Prachuap Khiri Khan Hospital to get registered there ready for an operation this month. Seem to be charged the same as Thai people at the moment. Also use at my bank as well. All with no problems once they realise what it is.

Coincidentally, I too used my card last week at a Post Office and to register at a government hospital.

• Like 1

The ID card is issued locally and while it may prove very useful in many circumstances, it should not be considered a substitute for your passport which is International ID.

I suspect most were issued a Thai DL using their Passport as ID, so unless you request the DLT to change your ID number to that of your Thai ID card (Tabian Baan number), then your passport will be required to renew your DL when the time comes.

14 minutes ago, Faz said:

I suspect most were issued a Thai DL using their Passport as ID, so unless you request the DLT to change your ID number to that of your Thai ID card (Tabian Baan number), then your passport will be required to renew your DL when the time comes.

That's an interesting point.

Just checked my old driving licences, and yes, the passport number was used and my DL number was changed when I later renewed my passport and then my DL.

I think next time I'll try and use my Thai ID card.

18 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

That's an interesting point.

Just checked my old driving licences, and yes, the passport number was used and my DL number was changed when I later renewed my passport and then my DL.

I think next time I'll try and use my Thai ID card.

Just take your Passport, Tabian Baan and ID card and request they change your ID number.

Future visits will then only require your TB and ID card, just the same as Thais do.

A lot just don't get the bigger picture. There is a process for foreigners to integrate into Thai society and follow the same process Thais do when dealing with any government department, which in the long run makes permanently living here a much more relaxed, trouble free experience.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, worrab said:

You get the 30 Baht benefits?

40 minutes ago, Evilbaz said:

From what my wife was told by the office dealing with this, they have stopped new enrollments for ferangs in this system as it was costing too much. (Ignoring the fact I've paid more in social security payments than a lot of Thais.)

9 hours ago, Thanyaburi Mac said:

"Passport unnecessary"?  Hmmm, seems to me that a hotel, bank branch, others, can always ask for your passport, if only because that's what they're used to, and what it says in their instructions.  This ID Card for Farangs, with a 6 or an 8, is pretty new and The Word may well have not yet reached all endusers.

Mac

I was only talking in a case of a random police check, not for any other purpose.

2 hours ago, Evilbaz said:

I paid the same as Thai people for an ultrasound and from what I can gather, the price for my hernia operation will also be the same. A friend in my village has recently had the same op at the same hospital being an in-patient for 4 nights in a room as opposed to a ward. My costs are going to be the same but will know for sure when I get the final bill. Will let you know. 

All depends on your local/district office as to how up-to-date they are on the policies and/or how receptive they are to farangs.  Almost like trying to open a bank account for some farangs....some bank branches do it easily; others require tons of paper work & alignment of the planets. 

• Like 1

" From what my wife was told by the office dealing with this, they have stopped new enrollments for ferangs in this system as it was costing too much. (Ignoring the fact I've paid more in social security payments than a lot of Thais.)"

It wasn't stopped because of the cost, it was stopped because it was never meant to be offered to foreigners.  The program was meant for laborers from the surrounding countries.  Once that fact was discovered, enrollments were supposed to be stopped.

If you were paying for Social Security, you shouldn't have needed the 30 baht scheme.  If you stopped paying through work, you could have continued paying on your own at a minimal cost.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Sir Bogdiver said:

As a permanent resident your red police book is your official ID.  Although you can't carry it around with you as it will fall apart within weeks I always carry a copy of my police book in my wallet.

Mine looks super old as well, it even looks like it got wet at some point (I mean, before I received it, not from me). I read somewhere that they were printed decades ago and they still didn't finish that old stock.

On ‎01‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 7:07 AM, worrab said:

I paid the same as Thai people for an ultrasound and from what I can gather, the price for my hernia operation will also be the same. A friend in my village has recently had the same op at the same hospital being an in-patient for 4 nights in a room as opposed to a ward. My costs are going to be the same but will know for sure when I get the final bill. Will let you know. 

Just to update you all on this post. Have got home today (Sat 24-09) and spent 5 nights in the room and all the costs came in at just over 31000 baht. This price covers everything including X-Ray, operation, doctors and nurses and all medication.  Strangely enough this was 4000 baht cheaper than the friend's and they spent 4 nights in a room!! This was all done at Prachuap Khiri Khan General Hospital.

Have no real complaints as I was well looked after with fairly good food and it was better than NHS food!! The room could have been a little better with a wee tart up but for the price it was reasonable.  

So, all in all, that should be my last operation over here and reckon I had a good deal for the price. (I had to pay the bill as I am unable to get this covered by any insurance as it all counts as a previous condition).

Edited by worrab
Forgot to add location!
  • Like 1

On 2/26/2016 at 8:44 AM, ubonjoe said:

I have removed the image of your ID card. Although in Thai it contains a lot of personal info. Plataea edit it and and post again.

The ID card has been available for some time now but not all Amphoes will do them.

Do you know if it is being issued by Mueang Ubon Ratchathani?

1 minute ago, Sir Bogdiver said:

When I got mine in Samut Prakarn it was also valid for life.  I presume that when you have permanent residency it is valid for life, otherwise it is 10 years.

Possibly, but my understanding is it had more to do with your age.  Above a certain age it was valid for life, below that age it was 10 years.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Familyonthemove said:

Hi I asked about getting the tabien baan as the first stage of the process to get an ID, and was told that it only applies to people who have bought their property?  Is this correct?  I thought you could get one if you are renting?

You can get one if you are renting a home. But you need permission from the owner to get it since it will be based upon their house book.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, skatewash said:

Possibly, but my understanding is it had more to do with your age.  Above a certain age it was valid for life, below that age it was 10 years.

That's totally correct.

Thais used to be first issued an ID card when they reached 15 years of age, but the law changed in 2011 and they are now issued at the age of 7.

They are then replaced after 8 years until over the age of 20, thereafter they are replaced every 10 years up until over the age of 60 at which time they are valid for life.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Familyonthemove said:

Hi I asked about getting the tabien baan as the first stage of the process to get an ID, and was told that it only applies to people who have bought their property?  Is this correct?  I thought you could get one if you are renting?

As joe stated, you need the permission of your landlord as they have to sign permitting you to register using their address.

As foreigners we cannot be named in a Blue house book (PR excepted) so they issue us a Yellow house book.

Foreigner Condo owners are issued a Blue house book but cannot be named in it.

A Tabian Baan is not proof of ownership.

Thais who rent are named in someone else's blue house book, usually family member.

Your Amphur is confused.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Faz said:

As joe stated, you need the permission of your landlord as they have to sign permitting you to register using their address.

As foreigners we cannot be named in a Blue house book (PR excepted) so they issue us a Yellow house book.

Foreigner Condo owners are issued a Blue house book but cannot be named in it.

A Tabian Baan is not proof of ownership.

Thais who rent are named in someone else's blue house book, usually family member.

Your Amphur is confused.

Don't know what Amphur @Familyonthemove is in but I checked with A.Muang here in Chiang Mai and was told that you could only get a yellow book if you bought property or were married. 

David

Edited by Genericnic

Civil Registration Act (No.2) B.E. 2551

“Section 38. The district or local registrar shall issue a household registration for persons without Thai nationality having been permitted to stay temporarily and those having been giving leniency for temporary residence in the Thai Kingdom as a special case in accordance with law on immigration and the declaration of the Cabinet and their children born within the Thai Kingdom. In a case of permission of temporary residence overdue, the registrar shall immediately dispose of such persons

Ask your Amphur to point out just where in the Act it states you have to be married, or own property to obtain a Yellow house book.

Thai Civil Registration Act (2551) 2008..pdf