Scomadi scooters

KhunTao

There is a new brand of 125cc scooters on the market, basically a replica of lambretta ... Designed in the uk, manufactured in China .... 95,000 baht.

Looks great, my only concern is that the engine is a very basic Chinese unit, with a carburetor ... No fuel injection ...

Does anyone have experience with this bike ?

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loads of reviews on this scooter on the net. Fake replica look aside, what exactly would make you want you to buy this chinese product,

rather than a vastly superior - and much cheaper Honda PCX 150, for example?

I worked in China for over a year. The locals go around on E-Bikes. They cost about eq 180 - 200 UK pounds. Within 2 years they have fallen apart. They just go out and buy a new one. The same goes for the small petrol scooters.

No one makes or sells anything nowadays that lasts. There is no money in it. I am totally sure that the design factor has a critical fail time on anything. DVD players, TV's, phones, laptops, motorbikes, cars, washing machines....I think 5 years is the max. Then bang it goes....

Like mentioned - Honda PCX.....a lot better.

I worked in China for over a year. The locals go around on E-Bikes. They cost about eq 180 - 200 UK pounds. Within 2 years they have fallen apart. They just go out and buy a new one. The same goes for the small petrol scooters.

No one makes or sells anything nowadays that lasts. There is no money in it. I am totally sure that the design factor has a critical fail time on anything. DVD players, TV's, phones, laptops, motorbikes, cars, washing machines....I think 5 years is the max. Then bang it goes....

Like mentioned - Honda PCX.....a lot better.

I rode my Flying Pigeon E-Scooter around N. China for around 7 years, then passed it on to some friends who needed transportation when theirs crapped out. My Flying Pigeon E-Bicycle is 4 years old and still runs like new. It's my main mode of transport close to home when I go back occasionally to visit.

Still, given the choice between a British designed, Chinese built (worst of both worlds?) scooter and a rice burner for 1/3 - 1/2 less money, I'm going with the Japanese scooter (or car) every time.

Edited by impulse

• 8 months later...
Just to resurrect the topic.
Has anyone purchased a Scomadi?
I'm looking to buy a scooter and the Scomadi looks the best looking scooter by far.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I had one.
Don't buy the 125cc model. It's junk. Chinese gy6 engine is trash.
Wait for the tl200cc with the twin cam engine from Peugeot. It's very fast and will arrive March 2017 to Thailand. Price will be in the 150-160k range.

Google the tl200 for a review. It's amazing.

Sebastian,

What went wrong with the 125 engine?

Nothing. Just old technology for big money. It's slow. A complete dog. The gy6 engine is the most common Chinese engine worldwide. It's cheap and nasty. You only need to inspect the engine and see the horrid casting.
I'd rather buy a 125cc vespa sprint for the same money. 5 more HP in comparison.
The tl200 is the one to buy. These twin cam engines are a thing of beauty.

Loads of reviews on this scooter on the net. Fake replica look aside, what exactly would make you want you to buy this chinese product,
rather than a vastly superior - and much cheaper Honda PCX 150, for example?

Pcx rear drum brake. Scomadi disc.
Pcx crap shocks. Scomadi preload adjustable sports shocks built in Britain by scooter experts, PM Tuning.
Pcx 126kg, Scomadi 100kg.
Pcx 8 litre tank. Scomadi 11 litre.
Pcx typical Japanese design, built in Vietnam. Scomadi exact replica of the GP designed by Italian legend Bertone(Ferrari), built in China.
Pcx handlebars? Can anyone explain these?
Pcx red/white/grey/black. Scomadi Kevlar/satin/chrome/mint/ocean blue/orange/black/red/dual colour.

10 hours ago, LammyTS1 said:

Pcx rear drum brake. Scomadi disc.
Pcx crap shocks. Scomadi preload adjustable sports shocks built in Britain by scooter experts, PM Tuning.
Pcx 126kg, Scomadi 100kg.
Pcx 8 litre tank. Scomadi 11 litre.
Pcx typical Japanese design, built in Vietnam. Scomadi exact replica of the GP designed by Italian legend Bertone(Ferrari), built in China.
Pcx handlebars? Can anyone explain these?
Pcx red/white/grey/black. Scomadi Kevlar/satin/chrome/mint/ocean blue/orange/black/red/dual colour.

I have done over 13k trouble-free km on my PCX150 from 2012, 1st edition of the 150cc model and all in all I been extremely happy with it, comfortable for larger persons and never broke down.

Nothing wrong with rear drum brake on a sub 20hp scooter/bike, this is not a superbike. The brakes are just fine on my PCX. My 650cc bike got 3 disks + ABS off-course but that is a complete different animal.

Yes rear shocks stock are not the best in the world, changed to YSS and never looked back.

The PCX is build in Thailand, not Vietnam. Spareparts are cheap and can be had pronto all over the country.

The fuel tank is only 5.5 lit on mine, not good but I only ride in the City so can go for app a week before filling up.

Design? well, lets call it practical, from the side it looks pretty ok. 

Handle bars? Very good no complaints, nice big mirrors compared to my wife piece of crap Scoppy i.

Mine is white, see many expats in Pattaya that have painted them in all kinds of colors, will not cost much but I don't care much about it, don't spend a single Satang on bling, it's a means of transportation for me, nothing else, have fitted a 40L topbox, so can do serious shopping.

All that being said the Scomadi 200 looks very cool and the tester (in the link provided by canthai55) wrote that it can go true 117km/h which is pretty good for its size so it will without a doubt be better suited for highways than my pcx that can do about 100km/h indicated in stock trim.

When I change my PCX out (not sure when, it runs very good and will easily last 5 more years if necessary), I will be looking hard a the Yamaha Nmax that got abs brakes and have a bit more grunt than the pcx, see many around now.

I have a deep deep mistrust for made in China vehicles, sorry but that's the way I fell about it and likely lack of dealer ship/spare parts support for the Scomadi makes me say, no thanks. 

On 11/8/2016 at 7:02 AM, sebastion said:

I had one.
Don't buy the 125cc model. It's junk. Chinese gy6 engine is trash.
Wait for the tl200cc with the twin cam engine from Peugeot. It's very fast and will arrive March 2017 to Thailand. Price will be in the 150-160k range.

Google the tl200 for a review. It's amazing.

Peugeot motorcycles/scooters is now-a-day from Mahindra, which is one of the bigger Indian automotive manufacturers. And I doubt that they supply engines to Scomadi... Where did you get this information?

The TL200 Scomadi already released in the UK but they can't keep up with demand. Wait time for delivery.
Some people placed deposits in July and still waiting.
Scomadi will also be showcasing their TL400 at the Milan show. It won't be available till 2018.

The Yamaha nmax155 I like. Looks better than the pcx but haven't found anywhere in Pattaya that rents them. I've rented the pcx before but find the riding position unnatural. Handlebars too high and have to sit back on the seat to straighten arms.

I've owned a Vespa gts300 before in the uk and was the best scooter I'd ever ridden but they're 300,000 baht here. The 150 is 140,000. Double the price of a nmax/pcx!
Was looking at the 125 & 150 primavera @ 97000 & 110,000 baht but can't hire one in Pattaya and the shops don't let u test drive one.

I've tested the Scomadi 125 at speed republic and love it. As well as the looks, it also has superior brakes & suspension. Far too good for just a 125!
Only problem is the lack of storage. No under seat storage.
The Scomadi is like the Vespa. More of an icon. Fashion statement.
A lot of Thais will pay the extra for a Vespa/Scomadi.

Vespa gts150 60k baht more expensive than a pcx. Scomadi TL125 20k baht more expensive than a pcx.
You get what you pay for!

That's too much money for a 125cc Chinese knock off, the style premium doesn't apply when it not real. Its a bit like a Rolex knock off at Rolex prices, no way.

A decent lambretta will cost u 500,000 baht in Thailand.
Maybe get a complete and utter dog of one, non runner for 250,000 baht minimum.

So if u take that into context, 97,000 baht for a brand new Scomadi with a brand new engine seems to be a good alternative.

It's not a Chinese knock off. It was designed in Britain by scooter experts Paul Merci(PM Tuning) and Frank Sanderson(Lambretta Innovations) who have over 30 years experience in Lambretta development. Their products speak for themselves. PM Tuning built and tuned my Vespa engine 20 years ago and have driven it from Scotland to England, Holland, Belguim & Germany many times. More than 70,000km later it's still going strong!

Yes Scomadi is built in China but under strict control from UK. They have been selling in the UK for over 2 years now and have not heard of any complaints.

The scomadis competitor is Vespa, not Honda or Yamaha. If u just want transport then you will buy a Honda/Yamaha. If you want style and a real driving experience, then you will buy a Vespa/Scomadi.

Style and driving (I ride my bike and scooters and drive my truck by the way) experience, hmm, I can have a bit of fun on my pcx sometimes and from what I can understand the Nmax should be even more fun. Sure for some people style is everything and are willing to shell out money for the privilege, up to them off-course.

I saw a Vespa300 are a intersection and it was heavily modified. The sound was very deep and that thing was taking off fast when green light, really fast.

If the Scomadi scooters are developed from someone that knows what they are doing and quality control is strict then I would be much more willing to buy one.

Hell my Ipad mini is made in China too and that is a quality product all-right where every single component is carefully picked/choosen and not cheap crap like some other Chinese tablets you can buy for 1/2 the price. 

Lammy ....." A decent lambretta will cost u 500,000 baht in Thailand." what for a 125, the Vespa a proper Italian design is 98k, so I doubt that a Lambreta is 1/2 million? 

Guzzi .... " I can have a bit of fun on my pcx " never saw that before mate ... "fun" and "PCX" in the same sentence.

If you want a little bit of Style and a scooter to fit a farang, a Filano in off-white, just 51k, a tad more with a rear folding rack.... and that Yamaha reliability to boot.

I have bought 3 Finos, one nearly nine years old, they all run beautifully.

Edited by AllanB

3 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

Style and driving (I ride my bike and scooters and drive my truck by the way) experience, hmm, I can have a bit of fun on my pcx sometimes and from what I can understand the Nmax should be even more fun. Sure for some people style is everything and are willing to shell out money for the privilege, up to them off-course.

I saw a Vespa300 are a intersection and it was heavily modified. The sound was very deep and that thing was taking off fast when green light, really fast.

If the Scomadi scooters are developed from someone that knows what they are doing and quality control is strict then I would be much more willing to buy one.

Hell my Ipad mini is made in China too and that is a quality product all-right where every single component is carefully picked/choosen and not cheap crap like some other Chinese tablets you can buy for 1/2 the price. 

I know the iphone is made in Taiwan not China.  Is the ipad made in Taiwan or China?

1 hour ago, losworld said:

I know the iphone is made in Taiwan not China.  Is the ipad made in Taiwan or China?

The Iphone is not made in Taiwan. They source components from all over the world and only a fraction comes from Taiwan (Front facing camera, touch id sensor and some chipsets are made by TSMC in Taiwan). Most of the stuff comes from Japan, South Korea and US, case and assembly by Foxcon and Pegatron in China. Thus if you mean "assembled in" by "made in", then Iphone are made in China. But either way they are not made in Taiwan.

I should have looked at the pictures before making my comments, saw one of these in Khon Kaen, in chrome, thought it was a customised Lambretta, looked really good.

Don't know about the mechanicals, but my Lifan is good, a bit rough around the edges, but most importantly it is great fun! If this scooter is half the fun, and remember the originals were not bulletproof, it may be worth a look. My Lifan was 47k so not sure about that price-tag.

If it is fun, then comparing it to the PCX is a complete waste of time, a good bike, but the most boring ever built in the compete history of scootering. Dangerous too as one could easily fall asleep riding it.

Edited by AllanB

How much is a "real"  original 2 stroke Vespa these days in Thailand ?

I see a lot of them used to transport stuff around BKK and a few fixed up to be "Pretty"

Were most of these originally from Italy or India ?

And I know "may lightning stick you" but has anyone made a kit to make an original Vespa battery powered ?

"They’ve also gained a following both with existing classic scooter fans and with people who always wanted a classic but either couldn’t afford one or weren’t capable of looking after one. With a Scomadi you’re getting the best of both worlds, hopefully without the hassle"

Good point.

Lammy ....." A decent lambretta will cost u 500,000 baht in Thailand." what for a 125, the Vespa a proper Italian design is 98k, so I doubt that a Lambreta is 1/2 million?

I've asked 1 dealer about buying their 1962 s2 lambretta. "Not for sale"!

A restored lambretta costs about 500,000 upwards. An unrestored 250,000. They are more expensive than the UK. No way am I shelling out that money when I can buy a new Scomadi for under 100,000.
Lambrettas are more sought after than Classic vespas here. Same as in the UK.
You can buy an unrestored classic Vespa for 40,000 baht.