Self defence / protection tools

CLW

Let me say there were a few occurrences in my neighbourhood and I just want to be prepared if I'm targeted.

So how about CS Gas, Tazer, etc.

What would be the best and safest option?

Where can I find it in Bangkok?

At last one question, can you legally buy and own a gun?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't the fine for an Asp-style baton something like 200 baht? It's also the kind of thing that the cop - should he find it - might be quite keen to just "confiscate", and say no more.

The downside to a baton is that you really need a belt and a holder. Too dense and heavy for a pocket.

If you're looking for something legal why not use what US prisoners use - a lock in a sock. Get a padlock (with key) and put it in a sock, then have that in your pocket. If asked the padlock is for use for gym lockers and to lock a bicycle. The damage you can do with a piece of steel in a sock is considerable - swing with venom you're talking hundreds of feet pounds of energy and no give in it at all. Less lethal is a fistful of coins. A dirt cheap 100 baht plastic covered wire bicycle lock is also a serious weapon, although obviously it needs a piece of pvc tape over the locking part so that it's open if you pull it out. Practice whacking a tree full power while holding the bulky locking end. Wear eye protection and don't blame me if you hurt yourself. You'd be surprised at the force produced.

Isn't the fine for an Asp-style baton something like 200 baht? It's also the kind of thing that the cop - should he find it - might be quite keen to just "confiscate", and say no more.

The downside to a baton is that you really need a belt and a holder. Too dense and heavy for a pocket.

If you're looking for something legal why not use what US prisoners use - a lock in a sock. Get a padlock (with key) and put it in a sock, then have that in your pocket. If asked the padlock is for use for gym lockers and to lock a bicycle. The damage you can do with a piece of steel in a sock is considerable - swing with venom you're talking hundreds of feet pounds of energy and no give in it at all. Less lethal is a fistful of coins. A dirt cheap 100 baht plastic covered wire bicycle lock is also a serious weapon, although obviously it needs a piece of pvc tape over the locking part so that it's open if you pull it out. Practice whacking a tree full power while holding the bulky locking end. Wear eye protection and don't blame me if you hurt yourself. You'd be surprised at the force produced.

Can't edit for some reason. You want the short, thick lock. About 14-16 inches with a bit of weight in the wire.

I am a firearms instructor and have taught combatives most of my life. Do not buy a gun in Thailand. If you have to ask this question, you reveal this is not your best option. Guns have nearly as many drawbacks as benefits; in fact, more. The only benefit to owning a gun is a single defining moment in time where it is proven worth it. It is a moment in time that having the gun or not will not prevent. However, other things can prevent that moment in time.

There are primarily two types of crime, IMO: Targeted crimes and crimes of opportunity. You can do quite a bit about both. How you live your life, travel your routes, where you live, your gait, you awareness, your falshiness, your car, etc., define you as a soft-easy target or a hard- difficult target. You always want to appear hard without looking rich or paranoid.

A number of less lethal products besides guns are also illegal in Thailand. However, such things do not have nearly the negative drawbacks of a gun. Deciding to possess one of these on the home or person is not the same formula for whether or not to own a gun.

Be a hard target. Be alert, be aware. Always ask/practice, in every situation "What one thing, if it changed, would turn this moment from safe to unsafe?" Maybe a crowd nearby, a streetlamp, etc. Security and safety is a choice that takes place in this manner first. A gun does not remotely contribute to preventing that moment in time from coming.

Were these incidents between Thai people, or did they involve foreigners?

Between Thai people. But already with collateral casualties (other people tried to help) as well with guns.

Are you nuts? MOVE. These things do not happen everywhere in Thailand.

Well, some styles of Kung <deleted> like Southern Preying Mantis teach the walking stick as a weapon. The downside are the years required to reach that level, while the upside is being able to freely carry a weapon (good quality umbrella) without it being regarded as a weapon.

Were these incidents between Thai people, or did they involve foreigners?

Between Thai people. But already with collateral casualties (other people tried to help) as well with guns.

I have no idea what 'Collateral Consequences' are, but if you are getting into confrontation with people in which guns are being used or waved around - do yourself a favour, get offer the pigheaded bit and move.

Could it be that Cal 22 guns and rifles are easily available in Thailand? I talked to someone and he said they are common to kill birds and rats.

Not that I want to have it but I found a bullet yesterday...

Is pepper spray is allowed to self-defense in Thailand and you can obtain it at no additional licenses?

No.

Bug or wasp spray would work.....

But the question to be answered is - what happens once you use it?

You live there & they live there - by defending yourself with something you've just won 1 battle but accelerated the "war".....You become a recognized/easily identifiable marked (foreign) target in a "I can't lose face" village/area/country....

Chuck Norris - most of us aren't....