SURVEY: Do you agree with the Immigration Rules to ban those with an overstay?

SURVEY: Do you agree with Immigration Rules on visa overstayers?  

279 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I would classify overstayers as undesirables. There is no excuse for long overstaying. Its very easy to get a 3 month extension if you are sick or ill. Most of them took advantage of the easy visa requirements to live in Thailand and now that the country is trying to come in line with others as far as immigration is concerned they do nothing but complain and insult the immigration department.

They may have Thai wives and children, but that does not give them any special rights. They can get a marriage visa and if they do not have enough funds they should not expect to be able to stay here. I am sure a Thai in similar circumstances would not be able to stay in thier countries.

I would classify overstayers as undesirables. There is no excuse for long overstaying. Its very easy to get a 3 month extension if you are sick or ill. Most of them took advantage of the easy visa requirements to live in Thailand and now that the country is trying to come in line with others as far as immigration is concerned they do nothing but complain and insult the immigration department.

They may have Thai wives and children, but that does not give them any special rights. They can get a marriage visa and if they do not have enough funds they should not expect to be able to stay here. I am sure a Thai in similar circumstances would not be able to stay in thier countries.

On the contrary, I personally know Thais in Australia that have been granted Australian citizenship and are living off social security.

This is simply starting a fact, not intended to be Thai-bashing in any shape or form.

Only 3 possibilities:

1. Yes, I agree fully with the new rules.
  2. No, I don't agree with the new rules
  3. I agree with the exception of the rules for children.
  4. What about a fourth one: It is none of my business and since I have no intention ever to overstay , I do not care, really! tongue.png
  • Like 1

Only 3 possibilities:

4. What about a fourth one: It is none of my business and since I have no intention ever to overstay , I do not care, really! tongue.png

What I about "I agree with the new rules, including the exception for children"?

If you are too dumb (or those on who you depend are) are too egocentric to realize you are in Thailand and have to live here by Thai Rules and Regulations then you have a mental defect that should disqualify you from entering or staying in the Kingdom.

Your democratic/western/sense of entitlement opinions don't mean jack**** here - suck it up and stop whinging.

Edited by Evilbaz

Being in a country where there is no such thing as justice I can't quite understand why any foreigner living here would support such a law. Find yourself in an accident and you too may be deported and banned from thailand for 5 or 10 years. Don't believe me? Then ask yourself would your family know what to do if you found yourself incapacitated? Think the Thai courts will bend the law just for you even if you did have a genuine reason?

Well.it's your fault for not informing your family what to do,before hand.Don't blame the visa rules.Typical handballer.

Any enforced or new law will be opposed by the ones affected by it, especialy the criminals, and law breakers.I love the idea of getting rid of the thai haters, feels gooooooooooood.

You are so wrong. I am not affected by it at all. But i do know people who are, and through s##t that happens in life are now in a bad situation. It will split families up even though the person in mind brings enough money every month to take care of his family, he can't meet the retirement conditions.

I understand the law is the law, but now he has a bad choice to make, stay and hope all is ok or go home and lose his family.

He should use the option he has been using,there are ways to do it as most people know.By the wayever heard of Savanakhet.If it is a gay couple,i feel sorry for you as Thailand has not caught up on this issue yet.

Being in a country where there is no such thing as justice I can't quite understand why any foreigner living here would support such a law. Find yourself in an accident and you too may be deported and banned from thailand for 5 or 10 years. Don't believe me? Then ask yourself would your family know what to do if you found yourself incapacitated? Think the Thai courts will bend the law just for you even if you did have a genuine reason?

Find yourself in a serious accident, you have no need to be on an overstay, there is provision within the existing laws to extend a visa, stay on medical grounds via a doctors or hospital letter

Suppose someone is in a coma, may even for weeks, the hospital don't know what visa they have, nor should they, their job is to treat patients.

The persons wife or family are more interested in seeing them getting well again instead of having to have added worry about a countries immigration rules.

Maybe this is the reason to carry a copy of your passport,so everybody knows.

Find yourself in a serious accident, you have no need to be on an overstay, there is provision within the existing laws to extend a visa, stay on medical grounds via a doctors or hospital letter

Suppose someone is in a coma, may even for weeks, the hospital don't know what visa they have, nor should they, their job is to treat patients.

The persons wife or family are more interested in seeing them getting well again instead of having to have added worry about a countries immigration rules.

Maybe this is the reason to carry a copy of your passport,so everybody knows.

Your driving licence will do, it has your passport no and address on it.

The police or whoever will find all about you from that if you are here legally.

A good move and about time too.

Get rid of the undesirables.

There is no excuse for overstay.

Sorry but I do not agree. A few years ago a friend overstayed quite by accident, partly the immigration officer and partly his own fault , due to the date on the 90 day report. A totally innocent oversight. It cost him ฿16000 and being fully aware of the consequences of objection, kept quiet and paid. As of today he would be deported, band from returning and possibly have to pay a ฿20000 fine. You know as well as I, there is no leeway with these people, black is black and white is white, no greys allowed.

• Like 1

Sorry but I do not agree. A few years ago a friend overstayed quite by accident, partly the immigration officer and partly his own fault , due to the date on the 90 day report. A totally innocent oversight. It cost him ฿16000 and being fully aware of the consequences of objection, kept quiet and paid. As of today he would be deported, band from returning and possibly have to pay a ฿20000 fine. You know as well as I, there is no leeway with these people, black is black and white is white, no greys allowed.

You need to read the overstay rules. Since he would be reporting to immigration he would not be banned since the overstay was less than 90 days. The fine would still be 16k baht. There has been no change to the overstay fine.

"There is no excuse for long overstaying. Its very easy to get a 3 month extension if you are sick or ill."

Absolute garbage, a lot depends on an IOs mood. It is not in the rules that IOs must act on a doctors letter.

IOs make up their own rules, so tell me how it is easy to get a three month extension if you are sick or ill.

I totally agree with you. Its up the IO to grant extention. When my wife was 8 months pregnant I got a letter from our Thai doctor recommending she not travel so close to delivery and kindly extend visa. At immigration we where taken aside to the immigration medical clinic where anothe IO officer balked at us that my wife coyld travel out of the country apply for new visa and be back in time. After some Thainess posturing the IO granted an extention. But it close and our daughter was born a week later premature.
  • Like 1

Any enforced or new law will be opposed by the ones affected by it, especialy the criminals, and law breakers.I love the idea of getting rid of the thai haters, feels gooooooooooood.

You are so wrong. I am not affected by it at all. But i do know people who are, and through s##t that happens in life are now in a bad situation. It will split families up even though the person in mind brings enough money every month to take care of his family, he can't meet the retirement conditions.

I understand the law is the law, but now he has a bad choice to make, stay and hope all is ok or go home and lose his family.

For me to bring my Thai wife to the UK I need to prove an income of £18,600 or 930,000 thb at the exchange rate of GBP£1 = 50 THB. This is simple a marriage extension as there is NO retirement extension.

This is about Thailand, not other countries.

But if you would like to compare, you need to show 8,000 pound (400,000 THB) less than the average UK wage to take your wife there. Where as here we have to show an income of nearly five times the average Thai wage.It is a huge difference.

My passport is stamped (retirement) But that is not the point at all.

Why is it that people who have poorly planned for their livelihood tell tales of woe about things just didn't go right for them? If you run out of money--it doesn't matter how--and have no viable contingency plan to regroup; you are an idiot. Duh, do you really think all things will go well?

I am not referring to myself. My friend is not full of woe, he is well in his eighties now, with a Pension. Have you planned everything in your like to get you through that many years?

I am an idiot, for what exactly? Explaining some issues that can occur that are outside of your ability to change?

When i arrived here it was the norm to do monthly visa runs, perfectly legal if you wanted to take that route. Thing change, sometimes one can't overcome them.

The only idiot i find here is you, with your poorly thought ideas based on no facts and thinking you were writing about me when you where too stupid to read and comprehend my original post, which states it was not.

Edited by chrissables
  • Like 1

crazy.gif

Only 3 possibilities:

What I about "I agree with the new rules, including the exception for children"?

Or what about this one ?

I disagreed with the old rule excepted for the children exception, so I should agree with the new one including the exception for children, but since on TV I disagree with everything I will not, excepted for the old rule for the children exceptionally included crazy.gif

Edited by Tchooptip
  • Like 1

90 day reports have nothing to do with remaining in the county legally. In fact the 90 day report slip includes the words "THIS IS NOT AN EXTENSION OF STAY........... "

Disagree, they should let anyone in, give them free health care, let them claim houseing allowance also send money to their relatives that have never even been in Thailand for child care,just like Europe.

But don't forget to make any of this very hard for Thais to claim, even if they worked all there lives paying tax.

OUT, OUT.

I would, in principle agree with the rules, but what about someone who is in hospital seriously ill or in a coma?

Immigration needs to have rules at every IO in Thailand, allowing overstay to be overlooked if a doctor states

in writing, a letter telling IOs about a patients condition, instead of allowing IO bosses to decide themselves.

Most hospitals that accept farang patients have an officer that liases with the local Immi office for medical extensions IME.

Does that also apply to government hospitals or only private ones?

In the first instance, all hospitals will contact the local Police to trace any foreigner who arrives incapacitated, or DOA without any form of ID.

An Australian was recently taken to our local Government hospital after a fatal road accident.............no ID.

The Police used the local expat community to identify the man, then contacted his Embassy.

There is a procedure in place for these types of occurrences.

In the first instance, all hospitals will contact the local Police to trace any foreigner who arrives incapacitated, or DOA without any form of ID.

An Australian was recently taken to our local Government hospital after a fatal road accident.............no ID.

The Police used the local expat community to identify the man, then contacted his Embassy.

There is a procedure in place for these types of occurrences.

I appreciate that the police will try to identify a body. This seems irrelevant as to whether someone unable to apply for an extension of their permission to stay will automatically receive one unless someone else applies on his behalf. I do not think he will. I cannot imagine the hospital stumping up 1,900 baht for the extension, and I cannot imagine immigration waiving the fee.