Underwater World Pattaya Alarmed by Counterfeit Banknotes

rooster59

Underwater World Pattaya Alarmed by Counterfeit Banknotes

post-247607-0-91763700-1459006179_thumb.

PATTAYA: At 2:30 Saturday 26th March afternoon a Taiwanese tourist was detained at Underwater World for passing a counterfeit 1,000 baht note.

50 year old Mr. Wei Shin Peng from Taiwanese unsuccessfully tried to pass a 1,000 baht note to purchase ice cream at Pattaya’s Underwater World. A sharp eyed shop assistant spotted the note had no silver strip despite looking exactly the same as the genuine article and alerted Police Colonel Suktad Poompanmuang.

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/222354/underwater-world-pattaya-alarmed-counterfeit-banknotes/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2016-03-26

effectively a fake £20 note. must be a slow news day.

the real story is of low quality, inaccurate thai reporting; alarm? banknotes?

And why isn't every incident of a Thai person handing over forged bank notes a headline with photo?

There was a pic of the fake notes on social media a week or so back.

If you look at the metal strip, the fakes are missing half the garuda near the top and towards the bottom the ink doesn't cross the strip.

The fake note is the top one in the pic

post-18770-0-72120300-1459055585_thumb.j

Edited by Farma

The old 1000 B bills don't have a strip and look different. Doesn't mean the are counterfeit.

Does the 1000 baht bills in the photo look

like old ones ? coffee1.gif

It looks like it ... but it's a small pic and I don't have an old one to compare.

This cant be right.

No photo of the guy, with loads of finger pointing by victim and the cops !!!! ohmy.png

something is not right. wai2.gif

The reason of "no photo" here might be that a type of "agreement" between the Taiwan gentleman and the BIB involving either his cooperation in finding other counterfeit bills or a bit of a cash donation to the BIB.

effectively a fake £20 note. must be a slow news day.

the real story is of low quality, inaccurate thai reporting; alarm? banknotes?

And why isn't every incident of a Thai person handing over forged bank notes a headline with photo?

And what makes you think that there have been any similar incidents involving Thais that weren't reported? You wouldn't know about those incidents unless they were reported, would you?

Tesco Lotis Express on Bangna passed a fake 500 Baht to my wife last year. She didn't notice until she tried to spend it at KFC and the staff there wouldn't accept it. I took the fake 500 note back to Tesco and complained to the manager. Together we went through the security video and saw my wife handing a 1000 baht note and the cashier hand back a bunch of bills with receipt on top. My wife's other hand was holding the bags and she just took the change and went out. The manager said there was nothing she could do as my wife didn't check before leaving. I told the manager her cashier was a thief and ripped us off and said I was going to the police. That didn't do anything. Being a foreigner I decided not to go to the police and just knocked it up as another scam. The bill was a poor fake too but if someone was in a rush and didn't look closely one would never know.

This cant be right.

No photo of the guy, with loads of finger pointing by victim and the cops !!!! ohmy.png

something is not right. wai2.gif

The reason of "no photo" here might be that a type of "agreement" between the Taiwan gentleman and the BIB involving either his cooperation in finding other counterfeit bills or a bit of a cash donation to the BIB.

Or much more likely than a daft conspiracy theory is that he simply insisted on not having his photo taken and published just as anyone with any nous would do.

Tesco Lotis Express on Bangna passed a fake 500 Baht to my wife last year. She didn't notice until she tried to spend it at KFC and the staff there wouldn't accept it. I took the fake 500 note back to Tesco and complained to the manager. Together we went through the security video and saw my wife handing a 1000 baht note and the cashier hand back a bunch of bills with receipt on top. My wife's other hand was holding the bags and she just took the change and went out. The manager said there was nothing she could do as my wife didn't check before leaving. I told the manager her cashier was a thief and ripped us off and said I was going to the police. That didn't do anything. Being a foreigner I decided not to go to the police and just knocked it up as another scam. The bill was a poor fake too but if someone was in a rush and didn't look closely one would never know.

No evidence then that your wife was given that specific note by the Tesco cashier. The Manager was right and you were 100% wrong in calling the cashier a thief. Using your logic, your wife's passing that note to a KFC cashier would make your wife a thief.