THE England thread

rijit

29 minutes ago, xylophone said:

And a big raspberry for Spain in having over 70% of possession, four times as many passes as the Ruskies, and still not able to produce anything like a scoring chance...……..pathetic and arrogant, but pleased for Russia (and don't the stadiums look in great nick).

Arrogant sums it up well. Close to zero threat until they brought on Rodrigo, the pacey winger from Valencia.

Wouldn't want to get carried away, because we really don't know how good (or bad) England are; we could just as easily be overwhelmed my the next side and go out having succumbed to fear.

The fact that our players are not well known in the world could work to our advantage.  Players like Rooney, Beckham, etc, were a known quantity.  everyone and his dog knew their game, many had played with or against them repeatedly.

The definitive dark horses!

Edited by mommysboy

9 hours ago, StevieH said:

one of russia, croatia, sweden, switzerland, colombia and england is going to be in the world cup final. it's an interesting and really good tournament so far.

Is that right? I thought that at the semi final stage the teams will be pitched in with teams in the other side of the draw- most likely Brazil or Belgium.  I don't know for sure though...

9 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Is that right? I thought that at the semi final stage the teams will be pitched in with teams in the other side of the draw- most likely Brazil or Belgium.  I don't know for sure though...

Screen Shot 2018-07-02 at 6.39.34 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-02 at 6.39.45 PM.png

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, StevieH said:

one of russia, croatia, sweden, switzerland, colombia and england is going to be in the world cup final. it's an interesting and really good tournament so far.

Yeah it's been great thus far and really happy about there being no trouble whatsoever, which has surprised me for one.

The biggest downer has been seeing that arrogant git Gianni Infantino)  sat on his throne like he's King of the World

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Thanks for the chart. Well, that's exciting.  Of course it really depends on us playing well- not a given,

You're welcome.

Refreshingly open and unpredictable on our side of the draw.

May as well expect Mexico and Japan to win tonight ?

Edited by BangrakBob
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, StevieH said:

conceded in all three group games against tunisia, panama and belgium's reserves. first good attack they face could pull that back three all over siberia. wouldn't go getting too carried away just yet.

yep, i'm not sure <deleted> southgates thinking but walker aint  very good at being a defensive right bac let alone as  the  rhs of a bac three,?  we already got a glimpse  of what level he's at with  him facing the wrong way when he gave that penalty away,  semi pro level mistake  tbh the semi pro's i watch, they'de be embarrassed  NO DOUBTS he IS the weak link. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, keithsimmonds said:

In my opinion this England squad and there Manager (unlike English teams and managers from the past) are a bunch of nobody's....hardly a high profile player insight,and wags i,ve never heard of.

Arrogant...dont think so.

They play for each other and trust each other,yeah the defence is a worry,but not many teams will go all out against England wary of what they could do to them on the counter. Whether by accident or design,the schedule playing late and the half of the draw they are in could not have worked out better. plus of course being able to rest players. Spain Portugal Argentina Denmark....none of them had the luxury of being able to rest players in there final group games ...did they!! 

I am hopeful and nothing more.?

A bit negative mate. ?  In reality England conceivably won't have to play a top side till the final

12 minutes ago, carmine said:

A bit negative mate. ?  In reality England conceivably won't have to play a top side till the final

this world cup is rather redefining what a "top side" is though isn't it, at least in traditional accepted terms. no italy or holland at the tournament at all, germany knocked out in the group stage, spain out by a side they'd normally expect to saunter past. all of them have won or reached the final of recent tournaments. 

11 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

Yeah it's been great thus far and really happy about there being no trouble whatsoever, which has surprised me for one.

The biggest downer has been seeing that arrogant git Gianni Infantino)  sat on his throne like he's King of the World

something tells me word went out from on high to russia's hooligans and nutters. you mess up and cause trouble here with the eyes of the world on us and mister putin will be very unhappy...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, StevieH said:

this world cup is rather redefining what a "top side" is though isn't it, at least in traditional accepted terms. no italy or holland at the tournament at all, germany knocked out in the group stage, spain out by a side they'd normally expect to saunter past. all of them have won or reached the final of recent tournaments. 

I agree, and whilst i'm no great fan of international football i'm really enjoying this world cup, its been great.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, carmine said:

I agree, and whilst i'm no great fan of international football i'm really enjoying this world cup, its been great.

think possibly the most enjoyable since 1994 as it goes. and there's surely more drama to come yet and the prospect of a really unfamiliar winner. go ed uruguay.

29 minutes ago, carmine said:

I've been a fan of international football for years, but for whatever reason I wasn't excited about this WC. But, its been darn entertaining. It helps that somewhat surprisingly there's been some very good football on display. Seeing some of the underdogs knocking kings off their perch has been a bonus. And, of course, its the only show in town, but a good show.

3 minutes ago, jellydog said:

I've been a fan of international football for years, but for whatever reason I wasn't excited about this WC. But, its been darn entertaining. It helps that somewhat surprisingly there's been some very good football on display. Seeing some of the underdogs knocking kings off their perch has been a bonus. And, of course, its the only show in town, but a good show.

good world cups are always about upsetting the established order. past times where cameroon or nigeria have lit it up, a smaller south american nation has done well etc. makes it more fun when the semi-finals aren't made up of the usual suspects like germany, brazil, italy and spain etc.

i'd love to see uruguay go all the way in this for example. 3.5 million population and they're this good at the football.

1 minute ago, StevieH said:

good world cups are always about upsetting the established order. past times where cameroon or nigeria have lit it up, a smaller south american nation has done well etc. makes it more fun when the semi-finals aren't made up of the usual suspects like germany, brazil, italy and spain etc.

t

i'd love to see uruguay go all the way in this for example. 3.5 million population and they're this good at the football.

Same here. I'm supporting Uruguay. They have a wonderful manager and are always a threat. Hopefully Cavani's knock isn't too bad, but I'm not optimistic about that.

5 minutes ago, jellydog said:

Same here. I'm supporting Uruguay. They have a wonderful manager and are always a threat. Hopefully Cavani's knock isn't too bad, but I'm not optimistic about that.

They are very underrated.  For my money Diego Godin is the best center back in the world, despite getting on a bit.  Then you have Suarez and Cavani, match winners.  They could go all the way.

14 minutes ago, jellydog said:

yeah that's where the short turnaround between matches bites isn't it. looked like a calf muscle thing for cavani which would make you think time is against him.

and yeah carmine, godin's fantastic. proper old school defend at all costs centre back. love watching him.

Good luck tonight England! If you beat Colombia, for the first time since 1966 you could actually go all the way to the final. Who would have thought that a few weeks ago.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, balo said:

Good luck tonight England! If you beat Colombia, for the first time since 1966 you could actually go all the way to the final. Who would have thought that a few weeks ago.

Didn't we beat them in 98?  

I was just wondering if Belgium were not up to tournie speed for a long while on account of the odd nature of the qualifying group.  I hope England aren't so sluggish.  

A more full blooded match between England and Belgium might have been better preparation.

11 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Didn't we beat them in 98?  

I was just wondering if Belgium were not up to tournie speed for a long while on account of the odd nature of the qualifying group.  I hope England aren't so sluggish.  

A more full blooded match between England and Belgium might have been better preparation.

Can you explain that comment please !

Edited by alfieconn