THE England thread

rijit

5 minutes ago, champers said:

He started out there at Watford, Houllier played him there at Villa and he played there a time or 2 for England. I think top players can play anywhere; and he has. I believe it would be a risk worth taking. I also believe Southgate is risk averse so it will be a creative midfield of Henderson and one other.

Why is it my heart sinks whenever Henderson is mentioned?  

Young will be on the plane regardless- he's a fine player and an experienced international.  I'd rather have a more natural midfielder though. 

Maybe Cook or Loftus-Cheek are better options- after all we don't expect much from this tournament, and at least we could be hopeful for the future with them on board. Southgate has been brave about picking youngsters, and shrewd enough to keep a few older heads.  

18 hours ago, champers said:

Sessegnon has just scored. 1-1 with 40 minutes left.

Sounded like a heck of a game.  I've always believed there are players in the championship who are good enough to play at international level.  And for that matter, Bournemouth, Brighton, etc, would likely have seen off Iceberg United.  It's about teamwork up to a certain point.

• Like 1

Goalkeepers

Butland (Stoke), Pickford (Everton), Pope (Burnley).

Defenders

Jones (Man Utd), Cahill (Chelsea), Walker (Man City), Trippier (Tottenham), Alexander-Arnold(Liverpool), Rose (Tottenham), Young (Man Utd), Stones (Man City), Maguire (Leicester).

Midfielders

Dier (Tottenham), Henderson (Liverpool), Delph (Man City), Loftus-Cheek (Chelsea), Lingard (Man Utd), Alli (Tottenham).

Forwards

Kane (Tottenham), Rashford (Man Utd), Vardy (Leicester), Sterling (Man City), Welbeck (Arsenal).

Stand-by

Tom Heaton, James Tarkowski, Lewis Cook, Jake Livemore and Adam Lallana.

This is the first squad without any the so called golden generation. Stands a good chance of surprising a lot of englishmen. Wellbeck always performed  best in an England shirt so not that surprised. I like the squad it's got a bit of spark across it. Alli, lingard,  rashford, sterling vardy and kane amd TAA will show no fear as he has shown so far. Southgates borrowed some big ones. Fairplay let's see!

Edited by Rc2702
  • Like 1

There we have it. No midfield. Still there wasn’t a lot to choose from, such is the dire state of English football. My prediction of not getting out of the group stands.

The top seeds will hardly be shaking in their boots.

• Like 1

heres one for you....Villa won the european cup in '82 playing with eight Englishmen.  That same year only one of those was picked for the world cup in Spain, Peter Withe,  and he didn't play a single second!  How mad is that.

On topic, England might make it through the group stages and if they do will depart in the first round knockouts.

Edited by carmine

2 hours ago, carmine said:

On topic, England might make it through the group stages and if they do will depart in the first round knockouts.

The draw has actually been quite kind. Poland, Columbia, Japan, Senegal? Even England have a decent chance against any of them. It's the following round when they will probably meet someone decent.

The draw has actually been quite kind. Poland, Columbia, Japan, Senegal?

The draw hasn’t been kind at all. Tunisia, Belgium and Panama then home on the next available flight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, fanjita said:

The draw hasn’t been kind at all. Tunisia, Belgium and Panama then home on the next available flight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if the wealthiest league in the world and Home of Football (TM) doesn't get out of that group then they might as well give up on international football altogether.

i think they'll qualify quite easily from that to be honest. draw with belgium and win the other two.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, fanjita said:

There we have it. No midfield. Still there wasn’t a lot to choose from, such is the dire state of English football. My prediction of not getting out of the group stands.

The top seeds will hardly be shaking in their boots.

Hmm, doing away with the problem of a largely untalented midfield by not actually fielding one!:smile:

In fairness, most of the pundits on the radio point to the paucity of midfield talent, rather than poor selection- Wilshere and Shelvey haven't really made a convincing case over any reasonable time period imo.  Wilshere in particular can barely complete a game, and doesn't play with any verve.  Loftus- Cheek could prove to be the joker (ace) in the pack.

My only gripe is that some of the old bones have been included without great cause.  They occupy the third and fourth births and will likely not get game time, so it would have been better to include promising youngsters, such as Cook, Lookman, Sessignon... perhaps.

Welbeck has always been a favourite of mine, but I confess I am struggling to justify his inclusion on this occasion.

We've always known this team can only go so far, but I think they are united in a cause in much the same way as some of the EPL sides that seem to defy gravity.  It's not as if they lack anything essential. So, who knows...maybe they can put on a show.

Edited by mommysboy
  • Like 1

Since 1950 only one Football League club has had at least one player in all the English squads for both World cup and European championships...........Manchester United

1 hour ago, petermik said:

Since 1950 only one Football League club has had at least one player in all the English squads for both World cup and European championships...........Manchester United

Even whey failed to qualify!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, petermik said:

manchester united = tories.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, StevieH said:

how dare you. alexander-arnold, robertson and henderson are clearly labour voters. reckon oxlade is as well. and that's about all our eligible voters.

talking about the overall club and its actions anyway not individual players. united = tories. their owners threw a bloody party for trump <deleted>. tory pricks.

:tongue: