Harbor Mall. Now that it's open...

NanLaew

You can hear a pin drop today. I was on the phone floor (floor 3) and some of the shops that were open last month (the debut month) have already closed and moved on. FYI, floors 3 & 4 are all phone and computer accessories.

Were they closed for good or just not open when you were there? Those small independent phone and electronics shops often open later in the day or sometimes not at all if the owner is sick or has something else to do (often at their other shop somewhere).

I guess youre one of the "it's gonna fail" brigade...I'm there 3-4 times per week for my morning coffee and there are always decent numbers of people milling about.

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can hear a pin drop today. I was on the phone floor (floor 3) and some of the shops that were open last month (the debut month) have already closed and moved on. FYI, floors 3 & 4 are all phone and computer accessories.

Were they closed for good or just not open when you were there? Those small independent phone and electronics shops often open later in the day or sometimes not at all if the owner is sick or has something else to do (often at their other shop somewhere).

I guess youre one of the "it's gonna fail" brigade...I'm there 3-4 times per week for my morning coffee and there are always decent numbers of people milling about.

No, he is posting facts about some of the former shops in Harbour Mall.

Anyone with a basic understanding of economics would know this Mall is going to be a white elephant.

Just a thought, has anyone got around to checking the foundation work and footings in the parking structure...just to be on the safe side? ?

Next time I go to Harbor Mall I am going to wear a hard

hat and a orange vest and have a GPS beacon on

me so I can be located in the rubble in the case of

Harbor Mall collapsing....

LOL. We're still waiting for Central to collapse at 7 years and counting. Some members were actually afraid to enter the building.

Some things take a long while though... After 7 years and 4 months they finally put paper towels in the toilets.smile.png

Anyone with a basic understanding of economics would know this Mall is going to be a white elephant.

I hope not as the children's play area is brilliant

As long as they can keep attracting the Thais and their kids the mall should do sort of ok....

The farang is a endangered species at this mall at least the times I have been there....

What about foreigners in general? There's a lot of Asian tourists here and others not typically called "Farang", a term which should have been retired long ago.

BS, Tukcom survived how many years ?

Lots of customers on 3rd floor every time I visit. Yes there are many shops but most of them are working together or relocated from Tukcom and other chains are doing well there.

Besides 90% Thai customers so I think they will survive.

If Harbor Mall closes due to lack of business I will crawl naked down Pattaya Klang!

I'm in there nearly every day, plenty of punters in the food places & kids play floors.

I envision good things happening for Harbor Mall, Index, Powerbuy, Welcome Towne and other businesses in the general area once the Pattaya Klang/Sukumvit intersection is reopened. Harbor has a unique blend of restaurants, IT, kiddie land, super markets, language and music schools and a Fitness First(still under construction).

I envision good things happening for Harbor Mall, Index, Powerbuy, Welcome Towne and other businesses in the general area once the Pattaya Klang/Sukumvit intersection is reopened. Harbor has a unique blend of restaurants, IT, kiddie land, super markets, language and music schools and a Fitness First(still under construction).

There is also something(s) being built on the land between Foodland and Harbor...nothing big but probably some sort of retail or food.

If Harbor Mall closes due to lack of business I will crawl naked down Pattaya Klang!

I'm in there nearly every day, plenty of punters in the food places & kids play floors.

Harbour Mall won't close, just some of the small shops.

Harbour Mall won't close, just some of the small shops.

Yes, and those small shops will be rented out by other people & open again & close again etc...

Lots of fake phones on sale.

Was looking for S7, theres many fakes. Some shops tells u that some not so much.

@matale0

I bought my last Samsung phone from an official Samsung store...I don't see the point of buying anywhere else...to save a few bob on a $1000 phone doesn't make any sense to me.

Was looking for S7, theres many fakes. Some shops tells u that some not so much.

@matale0

I bought my last Samsung phone from an official Samsung store...I don't see the point of buying anywhere else...to save a few bob on a $1000 phone doesn't make any sense to me.

If you wait about 2 years you can pick up your 1,000 dollar phone for about

150-200 dollars 2nd hand...

I spent a day looking at all the 2nd hand sellers...Picked up a Galaxy S-5 in

almost perfect condition for about 170 dollars....

Edited by fforest1

@matale0

Not sure what your post has to do with someone looking at presumebly new S7s and my reply to that topic but whatever.

@matale0

Intersting. All the secondhand phones I see for sale in Thailand seem to be about a 1/3 of new retail price unless they are really old.

Where do I buy a 2 yr old one for less than 1/4 of the new price ?

Edited by Don Mega

A shout out to Starbucks at Harbor Mall. The Starbucks branch is a pleasant place for a coffee if you appreciate good air conditioning in this hot weather.

Agreed. Pleasant place, uncrowded (for now), higher percentage of comfortable chairs. Will be back.

You can sweat having a hot coffee at Central in the last hour before closing as they turn off the aircon. Starbucks Harbor Mall was cool to the last minute.biggrin.png

Enjoyed an expresso there today and happened to notice electrical outlets under every table, SO convenient.

We keep waiting and waiting for our authoritative TVF economists, with their brilliant track records, to explain to the ignorant some of the reasons for the mall's coming demise--which, as you know, is no longer than 4 months away now. whistling.gif

But said economists have so far merely insulted us with nonsense like "few baht buses go there," and that's already been refuted, so in the end it only amounts to "'cause I say so," as it did with CentralFestival and will again with Terminal 21. laugh.png

Well, it's merely all part of TV Forum Poster New Construction Syndrome (TVFPNCS). It's just too early for the afflicted to move into Stage 4, Hate, and then finally to Stage 5, Acceptance. Otherwise, why worry so much?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/916064-harbor-mall-is-buzzing/page-2#entry10733954

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/916064-harbor-mall-is-buzzing/page-2#entry10732630

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/908604-harbor-mall-now-that-its-open/?view=findpost&p=10700243

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/914016-why-build-a-terminal-21-in-pattaya-by-the-pattaya-sleuth/page-4#entry10714576

Edited by JSixpack

We keep waiting and waiting for our authoritative TVF economists, with their brilliant track records, to explain to the ignorant some of the reasons for the mall's coming demise--which, as you know, is no longer than 4 months away now. whistling.gif

But said economists have so far merely insulted us with nonsense like "few baht buses go there," and that's already been refuted, so in the end it only amounts to "'cause I say so," as it did with CentralFestival and will again with Terminal 21. laugh.png

Well, it's merely all part of TV Forum Poster New Construction Syndrome (TVFPNCS). It's just too early for the afflicted to move into Stage 4, Hate, and then finally to Stage 5, Acceptance. Otherwise, why worry so much?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/916064-harbor-mall-is-buzzing/page-2#entry10733954

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/916064-harbor-mall-is-buzzing/page-2#entry10732630

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/908604-harbor-mall-now-that-its-open/?view=findpost&p=10700243

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/914016-why-build-a-terminal-21-in-pattaya-by-the-pattaya-sleuth/page-4#entry10714576

Why do you always take the bait...you've already demolished these arguments in previous posts?

I can give you this hint avoid Sabushi thier tom yum teastes like water

@matale0

Ate there in the first week of operation and it was as good (or bad) as any other Shabushi. The only problem I could see was the long, narrow layout due to mall dimensions... requiring long walks to certain treats.

If developers were as negative as the "authoritative TVF economists" we'd be in real trouble - we'd be living in a country town with no malls at all.

Why do you always take the bait...you've already demolished these arguments in previous posts?

Still good for a laugh, and I did. :) But good opp'y to collect the refutations in one post. Members coming late to a thread often don't read previous pages.

Still good for a laugh, and I did. :) But good opp'y to collect the refutations in one post. Members coming late to a thread often don't read previous pages.

I had to laugh at your post.

It's hardly a recipe for success if shops are closing after two months, no matter how you like to dress things up.

Back to floor 3 again today and merchants are moving out. The shutters are open while their display cases lie empty or have been removed entirely. It's pure speculation if and when those units will have tenants. My photos are very representative of what floor 3 looks like pretty much all day. Tuk Com south Pattaya is hustle and bustle from open to close.

Pattaya's only Hawaiian restaurant is dead and the owner's wife told me they will be closing at the end of the month. I guess she means June 2016.

post-259358-0-86032700-1464352506_thumb.

post-259358-0-48059700-1464352508_thumb.

Back to floor 3 again today and merchants are moving out. The shutters are open while their display cases lie empty or have been removed entirely. It's pure speculation if and when those units will have tenants. My photos are very representative of what floor 3 looks like pretty much all day. Tuk Com south Pattaya is hustle and bustle from open to close.

Pattaya's only Hawaiian restaurant is dead and the owner's wife told me they will be closing at the end of the month. I guess she means June 2016.

Not good enough. Go back tomorrow and do a proper survey of the kids & food floors & get me a couple of snaps of the MG girls in the basement while you're at it.

Let's be honest we all knew the Hawaiian would go down like a lead surfboard.

The phone floors - how many phones/accessories do you buy? I buy a phone every 2-3 years plus a couple of cases, if that.

Now.....I like to eat food & drink some coffee every day (in air con), that's why I go to Malls.

Edited by DMC1

Not good enough. Go back tomorrow and do a proper survey of the kids & food floors & get me a couple of snaps of the MG girls in the basement while you're at it.

The phone floors - how many phones/accessories do you buy? I buy a phone every 2-3 years plus a couple of cases, if that.

Now.....I like to eat food & drink some coffee every day (in air con), that's why I go to Malls.

If true, you gotta feel for the investor behind the Hawaiian place but really...Hawaiian food in Pattaya? I don't know if a relatively small mall can support 6 (7 if you count counter inside Max Value) coffee shops. However, they're all part of large chains so theyll probably all ride it out.

As to the tech/IT shops, don't buy much of it these days either except a phone every 2-3 years. I think that's the case with many people these days. I'll admit that having no kids, I rarely go higher than the first floor.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

If true, you gotta feel for the investor behind the Hawaiian place but really...Hawaiian food in Pattaya? I don't know if a relatively small mall can support 6 (7 if you count counter inside Max Value) coffee shops. However, they're all part of large chains so theyll probably all ride it out.

As to the tech/IT shops, don't buy much of it these days either except a phone every 2-3 years. I think that's the case with many people these days. I'll admit that having no kids, I rarely go higher than the first floor.

I do do feel for the guy although I have seen customers in there on a couple of occasions, just not enough.

I do do feel for the guy although I have seen customers in there on a couple of occasions, just not enough.

I salute his/her giving it a try but maybe something like a Panda Express would have been more successful. That's a chain it would be nice to see in Thailand (rather than Hooters).