Ford Fiesta Sport

Just been told we need a new clutch, this will be the 3rd in 5 years and the cars only done 52.000K - is this normal ?

Original one went after 2nd year, replaced under warranty. Now after 24.000K it's gone again!

Anyone else had problems with clutch?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of fiestas in our village owed by friends I'll ask them later.

Sounds like you need a strong word with Ford Thai head office.

The dealers don't want to know and trying to reach Ford head office in Bangkok is like trying to get an appointment with the Pope .

My understanding is that Foed have admitted the problem and fix it free for 10 yearsv... google the problem

Hopefully someone like Mr IMHO will update as to what is what

I've left the letters from Ford in the car at the garage. But I'm sure the warranty was extended to five years for one problem and the "transmission" problem is now guaranteed for 10 years.

Sorry for my ignorance but is the transmission the same as "clutch"?

They are insisting that this clutch be paid for this time.

TBH ... I'm not up on this. Last year we bought a Fiesta Ecoboost and were told that the 'problem' was covered for ten years. So will be interested in the outcome.

Edited by JAS21

A colleague has a dual clutch auto fiesta and it's not had any problems - but there was a noise when it changed gear. She took it back and Ford replaced some parts under warranty. But I think the clutch friction plates are supposed to last 150,000 km - so I don't think they should need replacing yet?

I drive the car once - I thought it was a much better drive than most small cars - but even after the work I could hear it changing gear at slow speeds. I'm not sure if this is normal for a dual clutch transmission, but there's a mechanical noise as it changes from first to second? Not loud, more of a clunk as it changes.

^^^^

It's always had a noise when changing gears at low speed. This I was told is normal for that type of system. It's a fun car to drive, been pleased with it from that point of view.

But recently it wasn't moving straight away when I put my foot on the gas, then it would lurch like it was in the wrong gear until it found the right one again. It wasn't a constant problem but didn't feel safe to drive further than round town. It's 24.000B for a new one including fitting etc so I'm not very happy about the situation, especially if we've to do it again in a couple of years time.

Many years ago I had a Fiesta in the UK, never had a single problem with it, would have gone on forever I think laugh.png , they don't make 'em like they used to!

I have the same car, same age too.

The DCT is actuated by electric motor and high power solenoids - Are you still on the original battery? You have any error lights?

How did ford deduce the clutch(es) need replacing?

If its guess work, a power related fix may be cheaper. You would think the dealers should know, but with past experience in the UK, whens its at your cost, dealers like to 'trail and error' replacing parts to find a fix

"Sorry for my ignorance but is the transmission the same as "clutch"?" - yup, it has 2 clutches that are internal to the transmission assembly.

post-62077-0-16787900-1461311893_thumb.j

Hearing noises from the 'box is normal - if I shift mine with the bonnet open you can hear some clunks and clanks as it shifts.

I have read of problems with the DCT though, interesting that Ford Thailand have apparently stated its covered for 10 years.

If Ford confirms that, please post it here.

Hope you get it sorted

Cheers

Edited by jonw8uk

Thanks jonw8uk for your detailed post . On the estimate they've written Clutch Assembly. Kit Gasket Trans. Cover,End. Trans,Fluid. Liquid Gasket.Then there's the service fee, then gasoline ( for cleaning) whatever that means.

I've already posted about length of battery life on a thread ages ago, we're on our 3rd.No there were no error lights on the dash.

Who knows how Ford deduced that the clutch needed replacing laugh.png , unfortunately I know bugger all about cars, ask me one on birds or gardening thumbsup.gif .

We're sort of at their mercy really. That's why I was hoping to hear from other Fiesta owners.

I think I will go over to the garage and pick up the letters sent to us by Ford explaining the new warranty for certain parts, then I'll have a clearer picture.

Will report as soon as I have them.

wai.gif

Just one more thing, the last time we were told the clutch was replaced we never saw the old one, we were not given any parts to prove that this had really been done.Too late now but it makes me wonder , maybe it was just a botched job, I guess we'll never know.blink.png

I have the same car, same age too.

The DCT is actuated by electric motor and high power solenoids - Are you still on the original battery? You have any error lights?

How did ford deduce the clutch(es) need replacing?

If its guess work, a power related fix may be cheaper. You would think the dealers should know, but with past experience in the UK, whens its at your cost, dealers like to 'trail and error' replacing parts to find a fix

"Sorry for my ignorance but is the transmission the same as "clutch"?" - yup, it has 2 clutches that are internal to the transmission assembly.

attachicon.gifGearbox Cutaway 2.jpg

Hearing noises from the 'box is normal - if I shift mine with the bonnet open you can hear some clunks and clanks as it shifts.

I have read of problems with the DCT though, interesting that Ford Thailand have apparently stated its covered for 10 years.

If Ford confirms that, please post it here.

Hope you get it sorted

Cheers

Here are the two extended warranty letters. As I said I don't know what's what on a car, all I know is what they've told me needs doing but don't know it falls under these extensions. Can anyone tell me do I have to fix the problem at a Ford garage if we do have to pay for it or can it be done at Mazda or Honda etc, or would that make it even more expensive. Again sorry if these questions seem stupid but as I said I don't know much about cars.

Thanks to all for your help.wai.gif

post-104254-0-22928400-1461324056_thumb.

post-104254-0-54292600-1461324108_thumb.

Says in both letters - your dealer - whether this means where you bought the car, if purchased new, or any Ford dealer am not sure. But if I had to guess they want it done at a Ford dealer if you want them to pay for it. As I am sure you do !

Clutch is separate from the transmission. First letter only deals with the transmission control module. Second letter seems to say that if the seals leak, and oil gets on the clutch, they will replace these parts. In the diagram above - clutch is on the left, transmission on the right. Bottom LH points to the clutch assembly - works the same as a manual transmission clutch - interrupts the power between engine and transmission to facilitate gear changes.

Google: Class action law suits in the US on this problem. We are on the 4th. "Clutch" as they like to call them.

Ford Fiesta S. Received one extended warranty letter, 5 years but not a second extension.

From our experience it would seem they continue to replace the defective part with a (new-defective part.)

This is no doubt a decision made in the accounting department.

Redesigning the "part" would appear to not be cost effective. Rather they keep replacing the

defective design with the same defective design until the warranty expires. They also take the car for a

few days to replace the "defective part"......you need to stay home or rent another car during this period.

We also have a 2013 Ford Ranger, no problems. But this Fiesta was a lemon. Anyone that may wish to

file a group complaint with the Thai Consumer Protection Agency or precede to group litigation and the court,

demonstration in front of Ford dealerships or any way to draw attention to Ford's lack of response to this problem,

I am all in. PM me.

As canathai said, the letters talk only about the control unit for the gearbox (TCM - the electronic controller) or clutch assembly seals - its a dry clutch, so the seals are to stop something leaking in, and contaminating the clutch assembly.

They must have a reason to take this opinion; test drive, inspection, whatever, but seeing as you've had the clutch worked on before, and at only 52k km, then they must be assuming the seals are at fault, again.....

And its beyond the time limit for this to be under warranty :(

you could try to argue that the last clutch assembly replacement should reset the 5 year clock, but good luck with that!

My point about the battery before was that, seeing as the gearbox needs a healthy power system to operate correctly, and you've said you're on your 3rd battery (which seems excessive - should last 3 to 4 years) there could be issues there - I googled stuff about the gearbox previously and read that ford had issued technical bulletins to improve the earth connection from the battery - if you look at where the black lead on the battery connects to the car body you'll notice the small post is painted - the TB from ford instructed to file away the paint to provide an improved electrical connection. Bad earths can cause a sh*t load of problems on cars. and for the sake of borrowing a spanner and some emery cloth, it might be worth trying.

I'm not saying this is the answer, as if your symptoms follow what they say, i.e. juddering at slow speed, then they're probably right, but if it was more that the car wasn't in the right gear, then it could be something else.

These are worth watching:

Seem to remember the cost of replacing the transmission for our 2011 Fiesta was 100,000 baht according to the dealer. It was an insurance job (not faulty) so I don't have an invoice to check.

There are some lengthy topics in the archives about Fiesta clutch and transmission problems, might be worth reading. Ours initially had problems at low speed, poor low gear selection, juddering, but then they did something to the computer at the 3000km service and problems ended. There was a software update also discussed before. When they replaced the transmission at 4k everything was still okay. Car has done about 35k now, drives well, no complaints. Just had it serviced this week, no problems reported. Had one battery replacement in five years so probably average for Thailand. The one thing we did get replaced was something I've never had to have on a car before, the radio aerial. Car is usually parked undercover but the rubber was cracked very badly so got a new short stubby aerial to replace it.

As canathai said, the letters talk only about the control unit for the gearbox (TCM - the electronic controller) or clutch assembly seals - its a dry clutch, so the seals are to stop something leaking in, and contaminating the clutch assembly.

They must have a reason to take this opinion; test drive, inspection, whatever, but seeing as you've had the clutch worked on before, and at only 52k km, then they must be assuming the seals are at fault, again.....

And its beyond the time limit for this to be under warranty :(

you could try to argue that the last clutch assembly replacement should reset the 5 year clock, but good luck with that!

My point about the battery before was that, seeing as the gearbox needs a healthy power system to operate correctly, and you've said you're on your 3rd battery (which seems excessive - should last 3 to 4 years) there could be issues there - I googled stuff about the gearbox previously and read that ford had issued technical bulletins to improve the earth connection from the battery - if you look at where the black lead on the battery connects to the car body you'll notice the small post is painted - the TB from ford instructed to file away the paint to provide an improved electrical connection. Bad earths can cause a sh*t load of problems on cars. and for the sake of borrowing a spanner and some emery cloth, it might be worth trying.

I'm not saying this is the answer, as if your symptoms follow what they say, i.e. juddering at slow speed, then they're probably right, but if it was more that the car wasn't in the right gear, then it could be something else.

These are worth watching:

Information is there ... good video to watch last thing at night though ....

The video above re: clutch shudder. Load of BS. Been driving manuals all my life, 3 to 18 speeds. They do not shudder, buck, jump, make noise. This is a Ford problem, which they are not willing to own up to, and replace the defective Transmissions, which may be all of them due to a design Fault. Look at the hoops they make the dealers jump thru - saying " It's a manual transmission, you will have noise, shudders. " All untrue. but this being the corporate world, they are beholden to no one but their shareholders. Customers - who cares ! Another will walk in the door in a minute !

A couple of fiestas in our village owed by friends I'll ask them later.

Sounds like you need a strong word with Ford Thai head office.

The dealers don't want to know and trying to reach Ford head office in Bangkok is like trying to get an appointment with the Pope .

Good answers here but keep trying they will hope that you will eventually give up.

Saw one fiesta owner with box as yours no problems as yet but low kilos.

i would have a go at getting it parked outside ford dealership with Thai and English written boards, take photos and put it on Facebook and other medias. thumbsup.gif

Seem to remember the cost of replacing the transmission for our 2011 Fiesta was 100,000 baht according to the dealer. It was an insurance job (not faulty) so I don't have an invoice to check.

There are some lengthy topics in the archives about Fiesta clutch and transmission problems, might be worth reading. Ours initially had problems at low speed, poor low gear selection, juddering, but then they did something to the computer at the 3000km service and problems ended. There was a software update also discussed before. When they replaced the transmission at 4k everything was still okay. Car has done about 35k now, drives well, no complaints. Just had it serviced this week, no problems reported. Had one battery replacement in five years so probably average for Thailand. The one thing we did get replaced was something I've never had to have on a car before, the radio aerial. Car is usually parked undercover but the rubber was cracked very badly so got a new short stubby aerial to replace it.

We have the same problem with the areal.

We've had the plastic that covers the tow bar replaced 3 times as it keeps falling off ( 1.000 a time) bah.gif

Wipers front and back.

New engine mounting.

New pump for cooling system.

3 batteries

3 sets of new tyres made the mistake of replacing originals with the same make - much better now we've switched to Bridgestone.

Numerous wheel nuts as the originals are in two parts and the covers fall off.

Ford badge has fallen off wheel twice but replaced free of charge laugh.png

And now the 3rd clutch problem crazy.gif