Got shafted by the septic tank cleaners

Tywais

SanyF: I agree that toilet and urinal waste go in one tank, and that kitchen, wash basins, showers, jacuzzi tubs, washing machines and dishwasher water goes to a different place. What brand have you seen in Thailand that incorporated twin tanks in one unit? I only see DOS or SAFE black water septic tanks when I check at the Buriram Global House, Buriram HomePro, Buriram Thaiwatsadu or family run Buriram Builders Merchants. Frankly quite a few Farang believe their partner that there is no reason to spend 3000 to 4500 baht for a proper black water septic tank. Village style is an option some expats take when building a home in Buriram. I pick my battles with my spouse and she went along with me paying for proper DOS septic tanks for each house. I went along with paying for the monks to come three times to bless the houses.

I didn't say I had seen a double plastic unit, I was referring to the standard construction of 2 tanks from concrete rings.

My own house has plastic tanks, 3 in line, a black tank followed by 2 water tanks. The grey water enters the system between the 1st and 2nd tank. The water from the 3rd tank is pumped to the garden.

The plastic tanks come in 2 forms, black water(septic) and plain water. The black water has plastic bits inside to help break up the solids. The only way to tell the difference from the outside is that a septic tank has a large outlet.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Odor is often from drains rather than toilet - floor drains with water dry out (especially one near toilet that does not get regular shower water) or become full of hair/dirt and allow drain smell back into room - sometimes sink drain traps sink so down pipe is above water level in trap or hole develop or it pulls away from wall.

If a drain is not regularly used, the water lying in it can stagnate and smell. Easily cured, once a month pour water into all drains, this will flush out the stagnant water and refill the water trap.

Actually in most cases the water will evaporate and allow pipe odors to enter. The normal drain has only about 2cm of water around edge and is open to air so does not last long. Below example is much deeper than most used in Thailand.

T1fELjFoJXXXXXXXXX_!!0-item_pic.jpg

Edited by lopburi3

....been through that with the septic guys as well....

...as for the flushing.....maybe the toilet is located lower than the water table....???

Not in this case. The septic tank and drain are between 1-2 meters below the 1st floor (ground floor) toilet.

This house is around 10-15 years old with western style toilets built in at the beginning. The odor issue was not there for the first few years here and is a new problem starting several months ago. The toilet issue popped up a couple of months ago. So I'm pretty sure it has a vent somewhere, maybe. smile.png

If the odour was not present until recent times, suggests the initial system was at least functioning properly, but if you are getting odour problems now means something is not right.

With drainage issues, always start at the simplest or easiest solutions, as costs can escalate. If you are experiencing odours, remember that all open access points into the sewer must be trapped i.e. with U-bend filled with water. If these are all fitted properly, should mean no odours returning into your property. With small amount of ground movement, or root ingress can render these as defective. Dry / wet periods can promote movement.