Buying a Kindle

dick dasterdly

Would you be open to a basic android tablet and use the Kindle app?

(As I haven't seen any Kindle for sale here)

Not really as I'm computer illiterate and Kindle paperwhite was recommended by friends - so that's what I'm looking for.

Not a problem, I gather they're unobtainable on Phuket - so I'll have to 'bite the bullet' and order one online sad.png .

Not really as I'm computer illiterate and Kindle paperwhite was recommended by friends - so that's what I'm looking for.

Not a problem, I gather they're unobtainable on Phuket - so I'll have to 'bite the bullet' and order one online sad.png .

Lazada= 9,150 thb delivery. Hope that helps.

Lazada= 9,150 thb delivery. Hope that helps.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

B2S and the stationery section of Central stores.

Slightly more expensive than in the airport shops - so I bought mine at Heathrow Airport Dixons.

I like mine - much better than a tablet or phone for reading, and battery seems to last forever.

Edited by Familyonthemove

Slightly more expensive than in the airport shops - so I bought mine at Heathrow Airport Dixons.

I like mine - much better than a tablet or phone for reading, and battery seems to last forever.

Going round Central, one of the shops told me the book shop sold them. They did, but had sold out and didn't intend to re-order.

I've been less than keen on online shopping since one 'store' asked me for my PIN number....

• Sad 1

Going round Central, one of the shops told me the book shop sold them. They did, but had sold out and didn't intend to re-order.

I've been less than keen on online shopping since one 'store' asked me for my PIN number....

Understandable after being asked for your PIN. I saw them in the Bangkok Central book shop - but that's not much use for you unless they can get them from BKK?

Did you try B2S in Central Phuket?

I heard B2B had them but a friend was in recently and 'no hab'. If you are not in a hurry the easiest (and cheapest) solution is to see if you have any friends coming over from your home country in the near future and get them to bring you one. Alternatively see if Amazon has a will or will not deliver on this item to thailand (some things they will, some they won't). Bear in mind you could get hit for duty. Mine went down the other day and I was gutted! I find the app works OK on Android device but prefer the Kindle at the end of the day.

I heard B2B had them but a friend was in recently and 'no hab'. If you are not in a hurry the easiest (and cheapest) solution is to see if you have any friends coming over from your home country in the near future and get them to bring you one. Alternatively see if Amazon has a will or will not deliver on this item to thailand (some things they will, some they won't). Bear in mind you could get hit for duty. Mine went down the other day and I was gutted! I find the app works OK on Android device but prefer the Kindle at the end of the day.

I'd totally agree with your decision to buy a paper white. The back lighting is adjustable and is great for reading while travelling, dimly lit cafes, bed, anywhere!

A new Kindle has just been announced, but it seems a lot more expensive. Have a look at Amazon, but as others have said, Thailand might be on the "don't deliver there' list.

http://www.lazada.co.th/2015-kindle-paperwhite-300ppi-wifi-ebook-reader-with-vg-leather-blue-crocodile-pattern-case-intl-4777069.html

• Like 1

If you know someone in the US that could send it to you via EMS, it would most likely be a lot cheaper than buying in Thailand.

Lazada's $250+ pricetag for something that retails for $99/$119 (with/without advertising) in the US seems a bit excessive.

the B2B third floor central has them, double the price of amazon;

I have had them BUT my last one i left in the trunk of my car, now the screen is burnt out;

I brought an asus fone pad for 4,200 and it is 10x better than the kindle and can do much much more

I bought my Kindle from Amazon and it was delivered in three days here in Nonthaburi. I paid custom charges when I bought it and even got a small refund later. They do sell them in the B2S part of Central as have seen them in Central Chaengwattana close to my home.

Finally got round to trying to buy one from Amazon. They don't ship to Thailand....

So I'll try Lazzada in the hope that they weren't the company that needed my pin no.

You can pay on delivery with lazada.

Finally bought one from Lazada - a lot of hassle (sorting out passwords with them as well as bank), but they didn't need a pin number smile.png .

It will take more than a month to be delivered for some reason, but at least it will eventually be delivered. (Famous last words?)

Finally got round to trying to buy one from Amazon. They don't ship to Thailand....

So I'll try Lazzada in the hope that they weren't the company that needed my pin no.

I tried that, but the option was '"not available" - so I had to pay with my UK bank account. Not great, as the exchange rate will be v low.

I tried that, but the option was '"not available" - so I had to pay with my UK bank account. Not great, as the exchange rate will be v low.

I know it's a little late now, but if you have a Thai bank account you can always pay via an ATM, or you can pay in cash at a 7-11.

Most of the online retailers in Thailand (Lazada, Big C/Cdiscount, HomePro/Directtoshop) use "123 Service" as their payment processor, which accepts payments via banks, ATMs, "counter service" 7-11, etc. They give you step-by-step instructions for your particular bank's ATM during checkout, and provide a payment code that you enter into the ATM. Your payment gets credited to your order within a matter of minutes. I've used it many times with no problems.

No pay on delivery if goods are from outside Thailand. I recently bought item from outside Thailand (Singapore) and had to pay upfront through my Thai internet banking. Item arrived Ok via Singapore post, no drama, just took an extra 5 days than advertised. But did have Sing Post tracking number.

No pay on delivery if goods are from outside Thailand. I recently bought item from outside Thailand (Singapore) and had to pay upfront through my Thai internet banking. Item arrived Ok via Singapore post, no drama, just took an extra 5 days than advertised. But did have Sing Post tracking number.

Yes, I've received an email from Lazada saying they will let me know when its been shipped - so its obviously coming from somewhere overseas.

Apparently it should arrive between the 10th and 14th of June, which isn't impressive - they must be using the cheapest postage system possible.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I used Pricezaa app to find this. Amazon loses out on import fees and duty when it isn't the only option... when you get through the '3600' to the checkout you end up paying way over the odds...

Lazada has the best price on the newest paperwhite - (B2S is 7990, Lazada is 4,599) - this July 2018 though... nice to see this post confirming it.

Edited by ben2talk