Chinese tourist hospitalised after Phuket parasail crash

snoop1130

Chinese tourist hospitalised after Phuket parasail crash
Darawan Naknakhon

post-249866-0-37029600-1462534851_thumb.

The Chinese tourist has been taken to Patong Hospital with a neck injury. Photo: Darawan Naknakhon

PHUKET -- A young Chinese tourist has been hospitalised after a parasail incident on Kata Beach, the parasail guide was also injured in the incident.

It has been reported that the parasail hit a tree along the Kata Beach shore-front, in front of Club Med, before falling to the ground injuring both the tourist and guide.

Full Story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/chinese-tourist-hospitalised-after-phuket-parasail-crash-57334.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-05-06

Chinese girl, 9, injured after parasail crash on Phuket beach
Darawan Naknakhon

post-249866-0-93521800-1462535646_thumb.

PHUKET: -- A young female Chinese tourist was hospitalised together with a parasail guide when the parasail they were flying crashed landed on Kata Beach at 12:30pm today (May 6).

The girl has since been released from hospital, however, the guide is currently still receiving treatment at Patong Hospital.

Lt Weerayuth Thanyasirisookworakul from Karon Police said that the Chinese girl, 9-year-old Li Ruitong, suffered only a minor injury to her neck and that doctors at Patong hospital had confirmed that her x-ray showed no signs of a bone fracture so she was release from the hospital.

She is now with her family back at Club Med.

Full Story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/chinese-girl-9-injured-after-parasail-crash-on-phuket-beach-57335.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-05-06

Club Med.

Being Chinese, it figures they'd be doing one of those cheap-ass all inclusive tours where nobody local makes any money..,.

Parasailing is free, is it?

I think you misunderstand. He is referring to the notorious "pre paid" tours where little or no money changed hands except for what the Chinese guides arrange to pay. The actual tourist pays an all up fee in China.

Club Med.

Being Chinese, it figures they'd be doing one of those cheap-ass all inclusive tours where nobody local makes any money..,.

I think you misunderstand. He is referring to the notorious "pre paid" tours where little or no money changed hands except for what the Chinese guides arrange to pay. The actual tourist pays an all up fee in China.

I think he understood perfectly, and pointed out that they seem to be spending outside from prearranged and prepaid.

Club Med.

I think he understood perfectly, and pointed out that they seem to be spending outside from prearranged and prepaid.

Quite right Steven.

Glad to hear that the little girl is ok.

Sounds like the operator may have been more seriously hurt. If he is an employee I guess his chances of any compensation are zero. Speedy recovery.

9 year old allowed to parasail .... parents should be fined ...

...and the operator/ guide/ organiser for accepting the child as a passenger.

I think we foreigners don't assess the risks of things very well in Thailand. Is that tour boat overloaded? Are those cables glowing in the dark safe? Is that safe to eat? Sure a little 9-year old is OK to do this? The activity is insured right? etc. etc.

In my country of origin we assume things are safe or else inspectors and licencing depts would have dealt with the issues. Rarely so in Thailand. It is very much our own responsibility to make an assessment of risk.

Be careful and make considered choices.

The only one without fault in this seems to be the little girl. I hope she is better cared for in the future.

Club Med.

If he didn't get the sarcasm about Club Med = cheap-ass, he didn't get it.

Edited by impulse

I think one exception to the often stated principal that Chinese packaged tourists add little to the local economy, means next to nothing.

Besides, this family is staying at Club Med (read the article), so are possibly not part of a packaged tour.

More concerning is the fact that a 9yo is allowed to utilize this highly dangerous type of activity. The parents, the operators or even the law should have stopped this happening.

And, how did these fools manage to drop into one of the trees, which are well back from the waterline?

I think one exception to the often stated principal that Chinese packaged tourists add little to the local economy, means next to nothing.

Besides, this family is staying at Club Med (read the article), so are possibly not part of a packaged tour.

More concerning is the fact that a 9yo is allowed to utilize this highly dangerous type of activity. The parents, the operators or even the law should have stopped this happening.

And, how did these fools manage to drop into one of the trees, which are well back from the waterline?

Effort to make a facebook hit gone sour.

To be honest the trees are quite close to the water line - maybe 10 - 15m in some places.

Been a long time but I used to go to Club Med in Europe. French company and everyone there speaks French. All inclusive and you are given beads to pay for things within the resort. It was quite expensive when I used to go. Could be a different Club Med of course, maybe a Chinese copy?

I was in Thailand in November last year and stayed at 5* hotels (client was paying). About 30% of the guests were Chinese or Taiwanese and they were certainly not travelling on a group tour.

Been a long time but I used to go to Club Med in Europe. French company and everyone there speaks French. All inclusive and you are given beads to pay for things within the resort. It was quite expensive when I used to go. Could be a different Club Med of course, maybe a Chinese copy?

I was in Thailand in November last year and stayed at 5* hotels (client was paying). About 30% of the guests were Chinese or Taiwanese and they were certainly not travelling on a group tour.

Chinese compnay recently bought Club Med --->

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-01-12/chinese-buy-french-companies-as-club-med-caps-busiest-m-a-year

The Chinese tour companies pre book and pay for at reduced rates rooms in the large hotels, as many as 100 in larger the hotels and sometimes these are not filled, it guarantees hotels revenue, at certain times of the year.

Odd that a fully qualified parasailing guide should hit a tree.

Odd that the international safety guidelines for parasailing should describe it as an activity suitable for very young children.

Still i expect the company's corporate liability insurance will take care of all the expenses and ensure this family are compensated.

Would this kind of thing happen in California? No

Would this kind of thing happen in China? probably yes.

The kind of risks you accept (or don't think about) are a product of where you are brought up. This time no real damage done, but next time? anyone thinking about next time?

9 year old allowed to parasail .... parents should be fined ...

Agreed from my side, its like having a child holding the steering wheel sat in the lap of the driver during the " doting parent" drives the car...oh how the parents smile...

Odd that the international safety guidelines for parasailing should describe it as an activity suitable for very young children.

Still i expect the company's corporate liability insurance will take care of all the expenses and ensure this family are compensated.

The kind of risks you accept (or don't think about) are a product of where you are brought up. This time no real damage done, but next time? anyone thinking about next time?

Are you trying to claim accidents such as this never occur in the US of A ? If so you would be correct parasailing accidents in the USA RESULT IN DEATH !

http://kutv.com/news/local/california-man-dies-in-utah-parasailing-accident

Are you trying to claim accidents such as this never occur in the US of A ? If so you would be correct parasailing accidents in the USA RESULT IN DEATH !

No, my point is not that accidents don't happen in USA, that would be ridiculous.

However in USA commercial parasailing operations, unqualified and poorly trained instructors don't take 9 year old kids parasailing with no liability insurance cover.

No, my point is not that accidents don't happen in USA, that would be ridiculous.

However in USA commercial parasailing operations, unqualified and poorly trained instructors don't take 9 year old kids parasailing with no liability insurance cover.

Can you support the claims of unqualified, poorly trained and "no liability insurance cover" with evidence ?

How many accidents such as one this have occurred in the last 12 months resulting in death ?

I can name at least one killed in the USA. Probably caused by poorly trained and unqualified instructors.

Can you support the claims of unqualified, poorly trained and "no liability insurance cover" with evidence ?

How many accidents such as one this have occurred in the last 12 months resulting in death ?

I can name at least one killed in the USA. Probably caused by poorly trained and unqualified instructors.

No I cannot, and that is not the kind of analysis the news media goes in for here. However I am well aware of the standards operating on Thailand's beaches and that corporate liability cover is not available for this kind of operation. Logic suggests that well trained and competent, accredited instructors 1. don't crash into trees with their clients, 2. would probably refuse to take up a 9 year old. If the same thing happens in the US then I am surprised and disappointed.