Chelsea Fc Thread

Seapok

P'raps someone will now shut that Sky triumphal presenter up - he who is always sycophantically promoting "the Barclays Premiers League - the best league in the world"!

Second team within a week to be caught out underestimating their opponents and feeling a deep entitlement to progress, the first being Arsenal.

Like I said (Carms) - dangerous team PSG. Like I said (Carms) Man U have a good shout at top 4 this seasontongue.png. I'm not going to call who takes the top 4 slots by the end of the season though. Too much inconsistency abounds in all the top 6. If I had to I would say City, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal (assume the normal position) in that order.

I would say of the top leagues, the Prem is the most competitive and exiting. <deleted> pissed off (and me being Half Spanish) hearing the Spanish commentators always, and every 10 mins saying best in the world..two horse race, apart from last season!

Officialy Speaking via Coefficiency Rule

1) La liga,

2) The Prem,

3) Bundasliga

4th Serie a

Prem has only 3 out of 7 teams still in European comps, Serie A has 6 out of 6. If Germans do well and Italians do a bit of catch up, the Prem may lose a CL slot and be down to 3 teams (hence my concern over a lack of representatives in euro comps)

Don't be stupid, the Premier League is there because it is quite simply the most watched league on the planet.

UEFA aren't going to cut their noses off to spite their faces, and neither are all the other participants that profit from it.

No, mate, Defo not being stupid by quoting facts.

I have no idea on viewing figures. Prem is 2nd to la liga based on points system by UEFA and their co-efficiency rule which is based on individual team performances in all European competitions, although we can be easily displaced by Germany as a greater number of points from 2010-11 season will be lost by the Prem (some 18,000+) and less by German sides, plus more points can be gained by German sides as they have currently 4 out of 7 teams still in European competitions, Prem as we are just 3 out of 7.

Club rankings individually Have Chelsea as Prems highest ranking side in 4th place. Arsenal, leap frog United 9th and 10th. BUt top 3 belogs to Madrid, Barca and Bayern Munich Interestingly we will still have all 4 sides as seeds in next draw, as all are top 16 ranking but 3, will be lower seeded 9-16 only Chelsea in the first pot of seeded teams. City, Arsenal and United will be in pot 2. Spurs and Liverpool will not be ranked.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_coefficient

I do agree with the last part. Certain countries have deserved or been worthy of expulsion from all comps like we were back in the 80's Been saying that for years like 13/14 years now when Roma were forced to play behind closed doors after fans throwing missles at the ref. Vs some Spanish side if I remember right, not long after 9/11.

Sure we are out and deservedly so due to poor performance and defending at set pieces. Chelsea harrasing referee?, sorry mate they dont play in red and are from Manchester. Please do remove your head from your ass, gonna take some time as it is firmly lodged!

the real world leaders in that department.

FYI a bad performance that effects all of the PL due to co-efficiency rule (reason I support all English sides in European comps!)

Come on, City (I hope the do) are not going to eliminate Barcelona, Arsenal are out, defo out. Poor show for the PL with no teams in the QF's, 5 billion contract for TV rights and no representatives in Europes elite competition.

Do you feel better trying to paint it as a defeat for all English clubs rather than a hapless Chelsea losing to ten men?

w00t.gif

Not a good result for us being out of any Euro Competition so early but certainly does not help any top 4 sides (especially us) due to aforementioned co-efficiency. I do think FA/PL should help the top 6/7 sides that are in Euro competitions. beaten by 10 men, is irrelevant, could have been eliminated by a 5 a side team for all I care. Out is out and quite possibly no teams gathering co-efficiency points for the PL in the quarter finals of the elite competition as City and Arsenal have huge tasks ahead of them.

I do like how Seri A and Bundesliga help their teams in top competitions. Still, For Chelsea, no excuses as we had 6 days and 7 days to prepare for the CL pre-qf ties due to being out of the cup.

Just my 2 cents worth, mate, IF you don't defend well, you dont deserve to win, simple as that.

The Swansea performance aside, I don't think we have been playing that well since the Newcastle defeat in early December.

I would attribute a fair potion of Chelseas loss of form to that of Fabregas who has really gone off the boil this year.

• Like 1

Chelsea in the first pot of seeded teams. City, Arsenal and United will be in pot 2. Spurs and Liverpool will not be ranked.

That link is a little dated Derek, as from this year the club seedings system for Pot 1 will change. Pot 1 will be made up from the 2014/15 Champions League Winners plus the champions from the top seven ranked European nations, meaning club co-efficients will not be taken into account for the top seeds.

• Like 1

Chelsea in the first pot of seeded teams. City, Arsenal and United will be in pot 2. Spurs and Liverpool will not be ranked.

That link is a little dated Derek, as from this year the club seedings system for Pot 1 will change. Pot 1 will be made up from the 2014/15 Champions League Winners plus the champions from the top seven ranked European nations, meaning club co-efficients will not be taken into account for the top seeds.

Better...but I'd rather it was a free for all.

• Like 1

Better...but I'd rather it was a free for all.

Same here but maybe try and keep teams from the same country apart for the league stage

• Like 1

How negative are we going to be tomorrow given how the table looks at the moment...........? Personally i,m sick to death of our inability to shoot from out-side the box, Oscar and his Piff poor displays....Fabregast not putting in a decent tackle and watching him being ghosted past far too often for my liking... Will i an pass the bluddy ball or shoot.....both full-backs (apart from Luiz,...when he plays) tucking in next to Terry Cahill/Zouma and leaving far too much space for the oppo,s wingers..Jose playing Ramires wide right.......what a bluddy waste...shake-up Costa and start Remy..........see what Costa does from the bench. Geeeee and we are top of the league facepalm.giffacepalm.gif

Your match tomorrow v Southampton should be interesting. After City's loss to Burnley, will Chelsea get complacent and think they can just coast to the title? I think there is some mileage left in this season. 3 points for a win makes a big gap easier to close. Don't entirely rule out the form teams just yet: Arsenal & Liverpool. I wish City well against Barca, but I fear for them. All those long-term contracts handed out before this season started are looking a little foolish now.

• Like 1

Thanks for your correction. Make not much of a difference If Chelsea win the League (No 4 rank) With United, City and Arsenal currently occupying places outside of the top 8, all into pot 2 I presume.

The Swansea performance aside, I don't think we have been playing that well since the Newcastle defeat in early December.

I would attribute a fair potion of Chelseas loss of form to that of Fabregas who has really gone off the boil this year.

And Oscar too. Exactly why I advocate using that big squad that is top heavy with Midfielders and a bit of rotation, freshen legs a bit Been looking jaded since pre Christmas. 11 matches in 9 weeks is all that is left.

A win tomorrow 8 clear and 10 matches to go and a game in hand to boot. I am not claiming the title now, just saying if we don't win it now we defo dont deserve it.

Your match tomorrow v Southampton should be interesting. After City's loss to Burnley, will Chelsea get complacent and think they can just coast to the title? I think there is some mileage left in this season. 3 points for a win makes a big gap easier to close. Don't entirely rule out the form teams just yet: Arsenal & Liverpool. I wish City well against Barca, but I fear for them. All those long-term contracts handed out before this season started are looking a little foolish now.

Defo say say United and Liverpool are out of the running 10 points back as it played a game more only 10 games to go..to haul back a point (possibly more) per game on the leaders is a tall order.

Liverpool already 12 points behind can be and played one match more..tall order for a fairly average team Would take a colossal loss of form by Chelsea, City and Arsenal for Liverpool to win it.

Arsenal? only 6 points back can nick second place and possibly the title as we still have to play Arsenal in the run in.

Hoping City can get the result they need against Barca, but cant see it, not many go to Camp Nou and win by 2 clear goals (or score 3).

I can potential in Arsenal overturning their deficit..very tall order too but best of luck for them, the remaining representatives of the Prem.

I think you could accuse the team of being 'complacent' against Burnley last time, but to go out on the pitch with that attitude against Southampton is asking for trouble. What we have to do is get back to playing well and bench those players that are either out of form or looking like that couldn't care a damn. Top of the list is Oscar, followed by Costa, who's looked leaden footed lately, and Fabregas who's passing has gone to pot and has the tackling venom of a fieldmouse.

Buddha help us if Hazard loses his spark or get's injured because, if that happens, we will be in deep excrement. In case you're wondering,this post isn't directed at you champers, because I know you you couldn't give a flying duck one way or t'other.

• Like 1

Oscar has had the tendency to dissapear into his shell during the cold winter months them bam returns to form around Easterish.

On Hazard you could add Matic, if any of the two lose form it may not be a pretty sight to see.

I know Oscar came on against some side for Mata in Jan of last year and turned the game by scoring twice but that was just one match.

OG, I have been not that impressed over all by costa's overall contribution, bucket load of goals at the start of the season, only seen dribs and drabs since then, a goal here, a goal there 3/4 matches without...Does make me wonder if he really is the Killer striker we were looking for?

Good number of goals in past in la liga but I put it to my mates that's a league where Messi and Ronaldo hit 50+ a season each so 30, doesnt look so great.

I say your right in his fire, has gone out, seems to have lost that spark, the zest about him..maybe he plays best with buggered hamstrings and under pressure to perform, who know but he is not looking anywhere like the same player during the opening dozen games or so.

I do reckon it is high time for a clear out, very least get shot of some the dross we still have on our books like Victor Moses, Josh McCheran (excuse spelling) Marko Marin, Oriol Romeu, Gael Kakuta and the likes I don't think will ever kick a Ball for us, Best get a return on their transfer value. (20-30M quid there) Only Tomas Kalas, Lucas Piazon and Van Ginkel I see as having potential and Salah, give Hazard a rest now and again!

I think Costa and Fabregas can be forgiven for running out of steam. Both have spent the last few years playing in Spain, where they play less of the intense games we have in the EPL and they get a Winter break in Spain too. Your defence could look a bit ropey if injuries and suspensions kick in between now and the end of the season. Still, it's hard to find too much sympathy for a club that has over 25 players out on loan at any one time.

Oscar has had the tendency to dissapear into his shell during the cold winter months them bam returns to form around Easterish.

On Hazard you could add Matic, if any of the two lose form it may not be a pretty sight to see.

I know Oscar came on against some side for Mata in Jan of last year and turned the game by scoring twice but that was just one match.

OG, I have been not that impressed over all by costa's overall contribution, bucket load of goals at the start of the season, only seen dribs and drabs since then, a goal here, a goal there 3/4 matches without...Does make me wonder if he really is the Killer striker we were looking for?

Good number of goals in past in la liga but I put it to my mates that's a league where Messi and Ronaldo hit 50+ a season each so 30, doesnt look so great.

I say your right in his fire, has gone out, seems to have lost that spark, the zest about him..maybe he plays best with buggered hamstrings and under pressure to perform, who know but he is not looking anywhere like the same player during the opening dozen games or so.

I do reckon it is high time for a clear out, very least get shot of some the dross we still have on our books like Victor Moses, Josh McCheran (excuse spelling) Marko Marin, Oriol Romeu, Gael Kakuta and the likes I don't think will ever kick a Ball for us, Best get a return on their transfer value. (20-30M quid there) Only Tomas Kalas, Lucas Piazon and Van Ginkel I see as having potential and Salah, give Hazard a rest now and again!

For a player who Mourinho thought walked on water, Oscar hasn't done a tap all season Delboy. Yet you don't hear any people inside the club comment on it. Even the TV armchair judges don't seem aware of the fact. Regarding Costa, I haven't been that impressed with him from day one, probably because I expected more. My biggest disappointment is his lack of pace. He just can't glide away from defenders the way I thought he would do. He's good around the six yard box which some people might be satisfied with but,for the money he cost, I'm not.

We've got a million players out on loan, some perpetually so, probably because some idiot in the club decided that they needed lucrative, long term contracts thus pricing themselves out of a move. Agreed that there is a lot of driftwood floating around the club. which needs to be jettisoned.

I think Costa and Fabregas can be forgiven for running out of steam. Both have spent the last few years playing in Spain, where they play less of the intense games we have in the EPL and they get a Winter break in Spain too. Your defence could look a bit ropey if injuries and suspensions kick in between now and the end of the season. Still, it's hard to find too much sympathy for a club that has over 25 players out on loan at any one time.

If they can't cut it, maybe they need to go back to an easier life in Spain

Well done Southhampton ,not the easiest away game and taking into account the number of players lost this season if you finish where you are has been a great season.

Ivanovic, what can you say, serial offender, seems too late in his career to change his habit and the refs are mostly right onto him.Thankfully didn't change the result

Fabregast is, if you like a born and bred premier league player 11 season s as pro player 8 of them in the PL. Barca Do play a high tempo game, but against much lesser opposition sides down in lower half are championship teams. Even Gymnastic Tarragona played in La liga reciently and they are owned by local council

Costa is Brazillian mate, as about Spanish as I am (mother) These Brazillians tend to hide during our winter or when it gets cold. Sure you remeber Juninho of Middlesboro, 20-25 a season player 10 goals by end of october, sod all until Easter then 10 goals easter to end of the season.

I agree 100% with you on the defense issue, said the same all season even before a ball was kicked One left back, one right back and a player that can play either side 3 center halfs, one of which playing week in week out at right back plus (at the start of the season) an unproven un tested talented youngster in Zouma. Cahil's lack of form and loss in confidence spanner in the works, has to be dropped, not rotated in and out but proper dropped!

For a player who Mourinho thought walked on water, Oscar hasn't done a tap all season Delboy. Yet you don't hear any people inside the club comment on it. Even the TV armchair judges don't seem aware of the fact. Regarding Costa, I haven't been that impressed with him from day one, probably because I expected more. My biggest disappointment is his lack of pace. He just can't glide away from defenders the way I thought he would do. He's good around the six yard box which some people might be satisfied with but,for the money he cost, I'm not.

We've got a million players out on loan, some perpetually so, probably because some idiot in the club decided that they needed lucrative, long term contracts thus pricing themselves out of a move. Agreed that there is a lot of driftwood floating around the club. which needs to be jettisoned.

Oscar for me his best position is box to box midfielder, way RDM played him not a No 10 for a wee fellow he does get in a lot of tackles, won more tackles than any other during the world cup. Player not had rest in about 3 seasons even when we got him he was nackered from the Olympics! then the intercontinental the following summer and last summers world cup last game was what mid july semi finals-3/4 place play off. I do think we let a better more creative player as a no 10 go in Juan Mata, but Mou wants grafters not Mata's forte so had to go!

Costa, I was impressed with him until mid to end november he does do a lot of grafting back tracking. typical mourinho want his centre forwards to be centre halfs too! He does come alive when he has a sniff of goal. 6 yard tap ins fair enough, but gotta be there to score them, half the job. Defo not a drogba in his prime conjure up something out of nothing nowhere near as imposing physically.

As for the result yest..ah well, another point up on City 6 clear game in hand 10 games to go. But said for while any team that comes and has a go can get a result out of Chelsea.

Love the way Jose has taken the bull by the horns and has made wholesale changes from Wednesday night................ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Same team, same side week in week out. Team is tired and look jaded ready for nackers yard and we know exactly why! Team and squad roatation is what Iliked about Benitez.

• Like 1

Regarding Costa, I haven't been that impressed with him from day one, probably because I expected more. My biggest disappointment is his lack of pace. He just can't glide away from defenders the way I thought he would do. He's good around the six yard box which some people might be satisfied with but,for the money he cost, I'm not.

are u both nutters, the governor costa is leading EPL goal scorer 18 GOALS

the gov has ten games to reach 25 goals, very possible if no suspensions or injuries get in his way, not a bad return for around 32 mil

and the gov has been leading the line all season, working his socks off in all depts,and giving all defenders in the EPL a torrid workout ,in one way or another

sure that m/u would luv to have him,in their present line up

perhaps u fellas would like ba ,eto, or torres back instead of the gov????

get off the govs back,and give him credit over the season, not just a few recent games, would the previous trio that i have mentioned, score that header last nite

don t think so..long live the governor at the bridge..and for good measure get off branners back

he already has a nickname, 'el cholo', or 'the beast' in english. friend above obviously feels costa's administrative qualities are not being highlighted enough.

I think "El dirtycheato" has a nice ring to it.

biggrin.png

• Like 2

Regarding Costa, I haven't been that impressed with him from day one, probably because I expected more. My biggest disappointment is his lack of pace. He just can't glide away from defenders the way I thought he would do. He's good around the six yard box which some people might be satisfied with but,for the money he cost, I'm not.

are u both nutters, the governor costa is leading EPL goal scorer 18 GOALS

the gov has ten games to reach 25 goals, very possible if no suspensions or injuries get in his way, not a bad return for around 32 mil

and the gov has been leading the line all season, working his socks off in all depts,and giving all defenders in the EPL a torrid workout ,in one way or another

sure that m/u would luv to have him,in their present line up

perhaps u fellas would like ba ,eto, or torres back instead of the gov????

get off the govs back,and give him credit over the season, not just a few recent games, would the previous trio that i have mentioned, score that header last nite

don t think so..long live the governor at the bridge..and for good measure get off branners back

That header was a dolly. I could have scored that with a trilby on. Great cross by Ivanovic though. Ivanovic doesn't need you or anybody else to fight his corner. He earns enough to cushion himself from the fiercest criticism. It WAS a foul, but his theatricals when going down would have impressed no one, except the minciest thespian.

• Like 1

"the governor"?

the Generalissimo biggrin.png

El gobernador.

he already has a nickname, 'el cholo', or 'the beast' in english. friend above obviously feels costa's administrative qualities are not being highlighted enough.

Good Spanish.

18 goals in 30 matches is decent ROI but 1 in his last 7 matches is not. he has gone off the boil since the LC semi final VS Liverpool

at the start of the season looked like he would get thePL goal scoring record, which sit's at 36 by Sheerer during a 42 match season.

Come on Jose time to freshen things up and make a few changes......Give Cahill Ivanovich Matic Fabreghast and Oscar a rest.........please...........it is Hull. I would like to see Ake and maybe Isiah Brown get a game and Remy start ahead of Costa or...... play the pair of em.

• Like 1

Come on Jose time to freshen things up and make a few changes......Give Cahill Ivanovich Matic Fabreghast and Oscar a rest.........please...........it is Hull. I would like to see Ake and maybe Isiah Brown get a game and Remy start ahead of Costa or...... play the pair of em.

What a luxury when you can consider resting such talent at this stage of the season.

"It is Hull" Tempting fate there Mad Dog

What a luxury when you can consider resting such talent at this stage of the season.

"It is Hull" Tempting fate there Mad Dog

I know it's a well worn cliche, but this is a must win game for us this weekend. A draw would be a nothing result. Hull are there for the taking with Huddlestone suspended and Jelavic out. Their defence is, at best, average.If we go with the "tried and trusted', who haven't exactly pulled up trees lately, then we could come unstuck.

Although Oscar had a better second half against the Saints, I would still bench him. Matic had a game to forget last weekend but is still a shoe in to play. Ramires has been playing well lately and should start. I woudn't mind seeing Costa and Remy start at all, Keith. Ake is a very talented player and could add some much needed pace to the midfield. He could replace Willian, who's looked a bit leggy lately. I would drop Ivanovic and play Azpilicueta and Luis with Zouma coming in for Cahill or Terry, who can't handle pace nowadays.

• Like 2