SURVEY: What is the greatest drawback to living in Thailand?

Scott

SURVEY: What is the biggest drawback to living in Thailand?  

422 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The biggest drawback to living in Thailand is accepting that we have all chosen to live in a culture / society where the human brain fails to develop past the mental age of around 14 years of age. Once you can accept this immaturity and playground mentality, living here is a piece of cake as everything has more rationale.

Quite true I'd say. Including the fact that one has to learn living with this and it sometimes is even fun.

However it only applies when one is here on vacation, retired or otherwise living on income from one's assets.

When you start working here, especially in a company, the said mentality and immaturity is an everyday's nightmare to get things done consistently.

Another success for the 'if you don't like it, go home' campaign.

Warms my heart to see these poor lost souls realise that they're not held here against their will after all.

There is hope! Thank you for being the one saying what I already have tried to explain. Just that you form it in "a such an easy to understand" way

If it where more of people like you here, we wouldn´t have to hear so many complaints.

Is there somewhere I can sign up for the campaign?

Edited by Carson2311

For all above mentioned reasons (I like to add the generalization 'thainess') I have decided to leave for my home country this month.

Leaving behind a beautiful small paradise (resort) which I have offered for sale.

I like to spend the rest of what is left of my life in peace, and not have to worry of thailand slipping further and further in a swamp, not to talk about the chances I get killed or worse wounded in a traffic accident, attacked by some out of control 18 year old boys, or a dog.

Im going with a gut feeling that your leaving not because of yapping dogs or farang murdering teens around every corner but rather because your resort flopped..would I be right?

The other expats.

so why you on this is forum?whistling.gif

go to Thai forum..

PS

Hope you back your country passport for be honestly and not be hypocritical.rolleyes.gif

Edited by ardokano

Warms my heart to see these poor lost souls realise that they're not held here against their will after all.

I think a lot of expats have been trafficked from Pattaya to Issan and are held there making babies and building houses until the bank account runs out or they die and stop receiving a pension. Some NGO should be informed and maybe rescue them.

The other expats.

go to Thai forum..

PS

Hope you back your country passport for be honestly and not be hypocritical.rolleyes.gif

Might I suggest you find a forum that's conducted in a language you're vaguely competent in?

why not survey points - Nothing?

My Ansver NOTHING..

because Thailand is almost impossible to live if people respect the culture of their ancestors, and you follow the their culture.
Of course, if this is not the Thai people,
well, or maybe Chinese..
Visit. even long time stay for Injoy/relax(sex/nature/Thai culture etc) - YES.. Live NOT!!!

'if you don't like it, go home'- this is slogan weak people.

if humanity should this slogan. lived would still be in caves.

I'm not sure that even fire could produce.cheesy.gif

'if you don't like it, go home'- this is slogan weak people.

if humanity should this slogan. lived would still be in caves.

I'm not sure that even fire could produce.cheesy.gif

You may have a point.

But to be honest it's kind of hard to tell.

The other expats.

go to Thai forum..

PS

Might I suggest you find a forum that's conducted in a language you're vaguely competent in?

I want to learn English - I like. So I came to forum where thinks what I like- English lang.. Its logically..

For you other expat its -"drawback", so i guess it mean you do not like ..

So its LOGICALLY ask you WHY you come to place where have som what you DO NOT like..

You masochist?

PS

I can see you skills in LOGIC much more less then my in Englishrolleyes.gif

Funny , but the biggest drawback is also the biggest asset

After almost 10 years of back and forth to Thailand, 7 married to my lovely, best thing that ever happen to me,Thai wife.I have tempered my opinion,

Thailand is neither the paradise some make it to be nor the hell others say, and as such though I love spending time there, I am not burning bridges and will always maintain a residence back home.

If it ever comes to the point that I need to do a "flyer" it will be to fly back home and not off the balcony of a building.

So back to my opening statement. What we all love about Thailand , is the freedom. but that freedom often manifests it's self in negative ways, then we complain

We want to have our cake and eat it to.

I hope Thailand never changes wort and all, but sadly like everything in life it must ,

So ,,, when life gives you lemons....

Throw it at them and bean the bastards on the head!!! Why lemons? why not avocados or bananas? everybody likes Bananas.w00t.gif

The other expats.

go to Thai forum..

PS

I want to learn English - I like. So I came to forum where thinks what I like- English lang.. Its logically..

For you other expat its -"drawback", so i guess it mean you do not like ..

So its LOGICALLY ask you WHY you come to place where have som what you DO NOT like..

You masochist?

PS

I can see you skills in LOGIC much more less then my in Englishrolleyes.gif

I'm sure you're a smart guy. You may very well have something interesting to say.

But you're pretty much wasting your time right now because so little of what you post makes any sense.

The biggest drawback to living in Thailand is accepting that we have all chosen to live in a culture / society where the human brain fails to develop past the mental age of around 14 years of age. Once you can accept this immaturity and playground mentality, living here is a piece of cake as everything has more rationale.

Quite true I'd say. Including the fact that one has to learn living with this and it sometimes is even fun.

However it only applies when one is here on vacation, retired or otherwise living on income from one's assets.

When you start working here, especially in a company, the said mentality and immaturity is an everyday's nightmare to get things done consistently.

Depends entirely on where you work. I have an outstanding Sr Staff and the reports below them are very good. All are well educated and perform as good if not better then many of the US people in the same roles. So Yes if you work for a pastry company or a coffee company I would likely agree but consider the source, the age and the education level. In fairness to some posters here Thailand does seem to shunt the older folks who are wiser and experienced and continue to higher younger inexperienced people. That has its own set of issues.

That aside what I find amazing about this thread and others like it are the ones that spend copious amounts of typing time regurgitating the same stuff over and over. So like the 14 year old maturity level many complain about I feel the same about the complainers on this site and consider the source. Most are old men who are retired with nothing but time to fixate on issues WAY out of their control. Thank God I do not frequent web forums all the time to read this crap. It reads like a sad story of a depressed trapped old guy who has become so set in his ways. He feels he should be entitled to everything, expects everything, wants everything like the home country he left and screams and cries like a baby when he doesn't get it. That is a HUGE drawback in Thailand but the way you fix that is simply ignore those and don't reply and respond to them.

Edited by JAFO

Ferangs who ride Mopeds n Scooters and say Thais are wrong the way they ride

Please, Ace of Pop! Do you have any clue about how right it is to say that Thais neither could ride a bike or drive a car.

That is purely based on facts, which you should be aware of before making a stupid statement like this one.

According to a test made in December last year is Thailand and the country´s drivers placed on 2nd place when it comes to how many people that dies in traffic

based per 100 000 people.

According to that I would assume that a farang who says that Thai drivers sucks, would be totally within his or her´s rights.

You know most of the farangs that live in this country is not even in the top 50 on that list.

Maby something to think about and bite on, knucklehead!

re

In your opinion, what is the greatest draw-back to living in Thailand?

hearing in almost any bar in thailand

what your name

where you come from

how long you stay

where your hotel

you buy me drink

dave2

That doesn't just happen in "tourist bars" it happened in the barber shop last week. I live in north Bangkok, but I rarely see another farang.

wai.gif

Depends entirely on where you work. I have an outstanding Sr Staff and the reports below them are very good. All are well educated and perform as good if not better then many of the US people in the same roles. So Yes if you work for a pastry company or a coffee company I would likely agree but consider the source, the age and the education level. In fairness to some posters here Thailand does seem to shunt the older folks who are wiser and experienced and continue to higher younger inexperienced people. That has its own set of issues.

My comment was made based on my own experience working 3 years in a high-tech company which was part of a major Thai telecoms group.

My coworkers mostly were young graduates from the finest universities in Bangkok.

Very nice people to work with, very friendly and open, willing to work and with an excellent spirit, but most of them terribly immature, inconsistent and very, very difficult to rely on. Unable to grasp the concept of production-grade IT. Many where considering the company's servers and network as a playground. "Mental age 14 years of age" might be a bit tough, but certainly not much over 16. For people in their late 20s or early 30s, that's an issue.

No pastry company of coffee company, then.

I'm sure you're a smart guy. You may very well have something interesting to say.

But you're pretty much wasting your time right now because so little of what you post makes any sense.

Not .. I am not wasting time..

becouse:

I want to learn English - I like. So I came to forum where thinks what I like- English lang©wink.png

becouse:

I want to learn English - I like. So I came to forum where thinks what I like- English lang©wink.png

Oh,yes. You are wasting time, big time!

Why not just consider taking a course in english, or just buy a self tutoring DVD?

Just an idea, I might be wrong.

For all above mentioned reasons (I like to add the generalization 'thainess') I have decided to leave for my home country this month.

Leaving behind a beautiful small paradise (resort) which I have offered for sale.

I like to spend the rest of what is left of my life in peace, and not have to worry of thailand slipping further and further in a swamp, not to talk about the chances I get killed or worse wounded in a traffic accident, attacked by some out of control 18 year old boys, or a dog.

Im going with a gut feeling that your leaving not because of yapping dogs or farang murdering teens around every corner but rather because your resort flopped..would I be right?

I hope you are going somewhere other than the UK then. The roads are full of eastern European "drivers" and the streets are awash with out of control kids with knives and savage dogs.

Never mind the number of fat women with a bad attitude...

thumbsup.gif

becouse:

Oh,yes. You are wasting time, big time!

Why not just consider taking a course in english, or just buy a self tutoring DVD?

Just an idea, I might be wrong.

yes some wrong..

Course in english its take more time then forum, but i think about this

DVD??

how this will help me learn to write?
At the forum, I'm writing
as sometimes forum blocking some slang/durty words( some I get from native speaker). or I learn new slang words.
And ofcouse i get some infgormation from forum and some FUN!!!
everything that writing I understanding..

The low mentality of most of the Thai people, that is the main reason for the road fatalities.

Driving and riding motorbikes is about 80% common sense,which is lacking in most Thai people.