Is it "wrong" to live in Pattaya and not be interested in Thai culture?

Jingthing

I'm saying that speaking Thai would open up a whole new world for you the same as a blind man receiving the gift of sight.

What world would open up for me if I could speak Thai ?...

The world where they treat you some respect instead of thinking you are just a mindless moron

they dont treat themselves with all that much respect going by the banter I here around the lunch table at work so no reason for them to treat me any different.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm saying that speaking Thai would open up a whole new world for you the same as a blind man receiving the gift of sight.

none, actually is quite the opposite , bargirls will shun you as they think you are a farang ruu maak they can't easily manipulate.

none, actually is quite the opposite , bargirls will shun you as they think you are a farang ruu maak they can't easily manipulate.

Since 95% of the bar girls and non bar girls don't speak English it opens up a whole new world. The manager of the bar will bring the new ladies to your table to chat because you speak Thai and they don't speak English. If you like the old skanky ladies who speak English carry on in ignorance. If you like some nice women who have not worked in that kind of place long try learning Thai. I went through the process that most expats experience of arriving here being ignorant of the language and customs and got nothing but bottom of the barrel people and service and everything. As I became educated in the language and culture my experience changed and I began to experience the nicer aspects of the people and country. wai2.gif

sour grapes
phrase of sour
  1. 1.
    used to refer to an attitude in which someone adopts a negative attitude to something because they cannot have it,or understand it, themselves.
    A personal choice, not to involve yourself in Thai culture.
    However,
    I think you may miss out some of the following.
    1) A real relationship, If you only ever "rent a Girlfriend" that's what you will get. Be part of the culture, understand about Thai women and relationships, chances are you will have a relationship far beyond any western relationship.
    2) Good business dealings, If you choose to live in your western bubble, on the fringe of Thai society and culture, you will be a cash cow. If you learn a little about Thai culture and Business then everything from buying a Condo to having a profitable business becomes relatively painless. And it opens up all sorts of lifestyles.
    3)Great food, Real Thai food is in real Thai homes, cooked by real Thai people.
    4)The Real Thailand. If you choose not to be part of Thai culture, and your only source of information about Thailand is via like minded people on Thaivisa, then your view of Thai culture will be very limited. There are some great stories and insights into Thai culture on these forums, however they are often overshadowed by negative stories and reports. "A Bar girl stole my Kidney" is not a reflection of Thai culture.
    5) Life,the universe and everything. Learn about Thai culture, religion, beliefs, and you may well get some different insights into the big questions. Life, death and all the stuff in between.
    ​The main reasons most of us ended up here was the freedom, the lifestyle, the attitudes, the difference in Culture. I don't get coming here then choosing to live in a western bubble.

1) A real relationship, If you only ever "rent a Girlfriend" that's what you will get. Be part of the culture, understand about Thai women and relationships, chances are you will have a relationship far beyond any western relationship.

2) Good business dealings, If you choose to live in your western bubble, on the fringe of Thai society and culture, you will be a cash cow. If you learn a little about Thai culture and Business then everything from buying a Condo to having a profitable business becomes relatively painless. And it opens up all sorts of lifestyles.

4)The Real Thailand. If you choose not to be part of Thai culture, and your only source of information about Thailand is via like minded people on Thaivisa, then your view of Thai culture will be very limited. There are some great stories and insights into Thai culture on these forums, however they are often overshadowed by negative stories and reports. "A Bar girl stole my Kidney" is not a reflection of Thai culture.

5) Life,the universe and everything. Learn about Thai culture, religion, beliefs, and you may well get some different insights into the big questions. Life, death and all the stuff in between.

​The main reasons most of us ended up here was the freedom, the lifestyle, the attitudes, the difference in Culture. I don't get coming here then choosing to live in a western bubble.

1. - My missus aint a rental. Been there, done that with the culture when we married.

2. - No desire to own a condo nor start a business.

3. - Have had real thai food cooked in real thai homes by real thai poeple, it is rancid crap. I'll stick to me steak and 3 veg thanks.

4. - TV is not my only source of "thailand". I work with more than 500 thais and often go out on works trips/party nights sit at the lunch table listening to their banter.

5. - I dont care for their religion and beliefs and they dont care about mine.

So what is that iam missing out on ?

1. - My missus aint a rental. Been there, done that with the culture when we married.

3. - Have had real thai food cooked in real thai homes by real thai poeple, it is rancid crap. I'll stick to me steak and 3 veg thanks.

4. - TV is not my only source of "thailand". I work with more than 500 thais and often go out on works trips/party nights sit at the lunch table listening to their banter.

Doesn't being married and working here involve a level of knowledge, understanding, engagement and acceptance of Thai culture ?

Doesn't being married and working here involve a level of knowledge, understanding, engagement and acceptance of Thai culture ?

Not really.

Not really.

In comparison with the average sexpat it sure does. How could it not? Marriage and working in Thailand imply involvement with the family and business community and government.

Not really.

In comparison with the average sexpat it sure does. How could it not? Marriage and working in Thailand imply involvement with the family and business community and government.

Involvement with;

Family - Yep, when the missus want to see mom and dad I pay for them to come visit us.

Business community - .... whats that ?.... I only work at one place, I involve my self in matters relating to work.

Government - Yep, every 2 years I have to pop into one-stop for about 5 minutes to sign my work permit/extension documents.

Not really.

That is the point I was trying to make. If you live here in a western bubble, you probably wont get, or stay, married (or Girlfriend). Have a successful business or job. Or ever have a home cooked Thai meal.

To achieve a certain lifestyle here involves a level of engagement with Thai culture. A personal choice to live in the bubble, but you wont get beyond a "by the hour" girlfriend and spending your foriegn income on steaks and imported beer.

Not really.

That is the point I was trying to make. If you live here in a western bubble, you probably wont get, or stay, married (or Girlfriend). Have a successful business or job. Or ever have a home cooked Thai meal.

To achieve a certain lifestyle here involves a level of engagement with Thai culture. A personal choice to live in the bubble, but you wont get beyond a "by the hour" girlfriend and spending your foriegn income on steaks and imported beer.

You are clueless. outside of work my engagement with Thai culture borders on zero and my lifestyle is perfect.

The world where they treat you some respect instead of thinking you are just a mindless moron

It must be a very stressful existence travelling the world constantly worrying about what people think of you.

Forget about that and life becomes more relaxing.

As stated before, in Pattaya one can easily masquerade as a tourist or new-comer if you're really worried about what they gonna think of you.

Yes, I agree it's gonna be a problem in most other places in Thailand, but not in Pattaya.

I'm constantly travelling the world and I only speak English.

As long as the service staff can understand what I want to eat and drink, the language they speak doesn't interest me at all.

As for respect, couldn't give a hoot what the locals think of me.

I'm not in Pattaya, and not speaking Thai hasn't given me any problems so far.

PS

Don Mega, great entertainment value in your posts!

Edited by MissAndry

It must be a very stressful existence travelling the world constantly worrying about what people think of you.

Forget about that and life becomes more relaxing.

As stated before, in Pattaya one can easily masquerade as a tourist or new-comer if you're really worried about what they gonna think of you.

Yes, I agree it's gonna be a problem in most other places in Thailand, but not in Pattaya.

I'm constantly travelling the world and I only speak English.

As long as the service staff can understand what I want to eat and drink, the language they speak doesn't interest me at all.

As for respect, couldn't give a hoot what the locals think of me.

I'm not in Pattaya, and not speaking Thai hasn't given me any problems so far.

PS

Don Mega, great entertainment value in your posts!

May I be so bold as to suggest reading the OP before posting? The OP has lived in Thailand for many years and was talking about living in a country as opposed to traveling. Your post is worthless except for entertainment value.wai2.gif

The OP has lived in Thailand for many years and was talking about living in a country as opposed to traveling.

Is there a difference?

Apart from me having enough money to move from country to country, rather than being restricted to one place?

The OP has lived in Thailand for many years and was talking about living in a country as opposed to traveling.

Is there a difference?

Apart from me having enough money to move from country to country, rather than being restricted to one place?

Money can't buy intelligence. Of course there is a difference. My family is Thai and speaks Thai. My health care provider is Thai and speaks Thai. My banker is Thai and speaks Thai. My personal chef is Thai and speaks Thai. My maid is Thai and speaks Thai. My gardener is Thai and speaks Thai. My Mercedes maintenance man is Thai and speaks Thai. My mia noi is Thai and speaks Thai. My swimming pool cleaner is Thai and speaks Thai. My tailor is Thai and speaks Thai. My masseuse is Thai and speaks Thai. My dog's veterinarian is Thai and speaks Thai. I've lived in 28 different countries and tired of moving around and settled in Thailand. I speak Thai as any other sane person who lives in Thailand does.

Is there a difference?

Money can't buy intelligence. Of course there is a difference. My family is Thai and speaks Thai. My health care provider is Thai and speaks Thai. My banker is Thai and speaks Thai. My personal chef is Thai and speaks Thai. My maid is Thai and speaks Thai. My gardener is Thai and speaks Thai. My Mercedes maintenance man is Thai and speaks Thai. My mia noi is Thai and speaks Thai. My swimming pool cleaner is Thai and speaks Thai. My tailor is Thai and speaks Thai. My masseuse is Thai and speaks Thai. My dog's veterinarian is Thai and speaks Thai. I've lived in 28 different countries and tired of moving around and settled in Thailand. I speak Thai as any other sane person who lives in Thailand does.

Yeah, good old intelligence.

My family is Thai and speaks Thai and English.

My health care provider is Thai (I assume, full medical is provided by my employer but they reply in English to emails).

My banker is Thai and speaks Thai and English.

My personal chef (wife) is Thai and speaks Thai and English.

My maid (wife) is Thai and speaks Thai and English.

My gardener is Thai and speaks Thai but they only come when Iam at work so meh, my maid/personal chef/wife takes care of that business.

My Toyota maintenance man is Thai and speaks Thai and English.

My mia noi is Thai and speaks Baht.

My swimming pool cleaner is Thai and speaks Thai but they only come when Iam at work so meh, my maid/personal chef/wife takes care of that business.

My tailor is Thai and speaks Thai but I only buy shorts and T-shirts that are on the rack

My masseuse is Thai and speaks Baht.

My dog's veterinarian is Thai and speaks Thai and English.

I've lived in 2 different countries and when work is done I'll go home but the 2 month gig is now in its 11th year so I might be stuck here a while to come.

Edited by Don Mega

Is there a difference?

My family is Thai and speaks Thai and English.

My health care provider is Thai (I assume, full medical is provided by my employer but they reply in English to emails).

My banker is Thai and speaks Thai and English.

My personal chef (wife) is Thai and speaks Thai and English.

My maid (wife) is Thai and speaks Thai and English.

My gardener is Thai and speaks Thai but they only come when Iam at work so meh, my maid/personal chef/wife takes care of that business.

My Toyota maintenance man is Thai and speaks Thai and English.

My mia noi is Thai and speaks Baht.

My swimming pool cleaner is Thai and speaks Thai but they only come when Iam at work so meh, my maid/personal chef/wife takes care of that business.

My tailor is Thai and speaks Thai but I only buy shorts and T-shirts that are on the rack

My masseuse is Thai and speaks Baht.

My dog's veterinarian is Thai and speaks Thai and English.

I've lived in 2 different countries and when work is done I'll go home but the 2 month gig is now in its 11th year so I might be stuck here a while to come.

The Americans went to Vietnam and hired interpreters and thousands of Americans got killed. The Koreans went to Vietnam and learned how to speak Vietnamese and killed the interpreters who were spies. Do you get my point? Of course I have lived in 28 different countries and learned a bit.

Edited by Scotwight

Bloody good thing I did not do Vietnam than aint it.

The amusing part of all this is I can speak Thai. Fluently NO but good enough to hold conversation.

Luckily for my western bubble I rarely need to break out the Thai tongue.

Edited by Don Mega

The amusing part of all this is I can speak Thai. Fluently NO but good enough to hold conversation.

If you can speak good enough Thai to hold a conversation that was my point. You know you are not getting taken advantage of. I live in a Thai bubble because I'm bored with ethnocentric Farangs. I don't know what we are arguing about?

If you can speak good enough Thai to hold a conversation that was my point. You know you are not getting taken advantage of. I live in a Thai bubble because I'm bored with ethnocentric Farangs. I don't know what we are arguing about?

you are the one arguing (forcing your ideals down my throat), not I. Iam simply calling you out on your buffalo poop.

I choose to live in my western bubble and have done for many years. The fact I can speak a bit of the lingo means exactly zero to my western bubble other than those times i go "up country" which the last time was 6 years ago.

Edited by Don Mega

you are the one arguing (forcing your ideals down my throat), not I. Iam simply calling you out on your buffalo poop.

I choose to live in my western bubble and have done for many years. The fact I can speak a bit of the lingo means exactly zero to my western bubble other than those times i go "up country" which the last time was 6 years ago.

You wrote/as a response "being married and working here does not involve a level of knowledge, understanding, engagement and acceptance of Thai culture"

That is all I disagreed with and it's not poop. It is common sense.

You are married to a Thai and have worked in Thailand for 6 years. How much more do you know about Thailand then Fred who got here for the first time last night from Duluth and is now drunk in a bar in Pattaya?

You wrote/as a response "being married and working here does not involve a level of knowledge, understanding, engagement and acceptance of Thai culture"

That is all I disagreed with and it's not poop. It is common sense.

You are married to a Thai and have worked in Thailand for 6 years. How much more do you know about Thailand then Fred who got here for the first time last night from Duluth and is now drunk in a bar in Pattaya?

yeah been here and married for a lot longer than 6 years.

6 years ago was the last time I went up country.

Don't know Fred so I cannot comment on his knowledge of Thailand versus mine, does he frequent Thai Visa ?

My family is Thai and speaks Thai. My health care provider is Thai and speaks Thai. My banker is Thai and speaks Thai. My personal chef is Thai and speaks Thai. My maid is Thai and speaks Thai. My gardener is Thai and speaks Thai. My Mercedes maintenance man is Thai and speaks Thai. My mia noi is Thai and speaks Thai. My swimming pool cleaner is Thai and speaks Thai. My tailor is Thai and speaks Thai. My masseuse is Thai and speaks Thai. My dog's veterinarian is Thai and speaks Thai. I've lived in 28 different countries and tired of moving around and settled in Thailand. I speak Thai as any other sane person who lives in Thailand does.

I can afford servants, intelligent enough to speak English wherever I go.

Money trumps intelligence every time!

Edited by MissAndry

My family is Thai and speaks Thai. My health care provider is Thai and speaks Thai. My banker is Thai and speaks Thai. My personal chef is Thai and speaks Thai. My maid is Thai and speaks Thai. My gardener is Thai and speaks Thai. My Mercedes maintenance man is Thai and speaks Thai. My mia noi is Thai and speaks Thai. My swimming pool cleaner is Thai and speaks Thai. My tailor is Thai and speaks Thai. My masseuse is Thai and speaks Thai. My dog's veterinarian is Thai and speaks Thai. I've lived in 28 different countries and tired of moving around and settled in Thailand. I speak Thai as any other sane person who lives in Thailand does.

I can afford servants, intelligent enough to speak English wherever I go.

Money trumps intelligence every time!

The servants are speaking Thai when they rip you off, plan the robberies and insult your person and you will never know. There is a big old Farang who has been hanging around Pattaya for years and the song tau drivers do annoying things to him every day and then go have drinks and laugh about who did what to him when he was trying to get a ride. If he spoke a little Thai and was polite it would have never started.

Intelligence always trumps money. We could both lose all of our money but I could come back in a NY minute because I'm smart and well adapted to Thailand.

When I got to Thailand the exchange rate was close to 50 baht to the dollar. It fell. Most of the expats moaned and went home. I got a job until the economy picked up again.

Intelligence always trumps money. We could both lose all of our money but I could come back in a NY minute because I'm smart and well adapted to Thailand.

When I got to Thailand the exchange rate was close to 50 baht to the dollar. It fell. Most of the expats moaned and went home. I got a job until the economy picked up again.

I think you'll find those that have enough money don't need to worry about the triviality of exchange rate fluctuations.

I won't ever be 'getting a job' again.

I think you'll find those that have enough money don't need to worry about the triviality of exchange rate fluctuations.

I won't ever be 'getting a job' again.

Sean Quinn richest man in Ireland went from $6.5 billion to being nearly $4 billion in debt. Former Icelandic billionaire Bjorgolfur Gudmundsson is legally broke today. Kim Dotcom was worth a staggering $200 million. Today $500+ million in damages being sought against him.

I have met a lot of people who had money and hit the skids. John Delorean is my favorite. Trump bought his house and made it a golf course.

Edited by Scotwight

Not really.

cheesy.gif