Drunk driver who killed motorcyclist has trouble with his memory

webfact

200k to the family.

Back on the school bread run Monday morning.

coffee1.gif

you forgot the week as a monk !!

Just because you are culturally ignorant, there is no need to make a mockery of this act of "tamboon" which you obviously don't understand. Or maybe you'll tell us next that Buddhism is wrong?

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The pickup driver should be charged with drink driving and manslaughter (if that charge exists in Thailand) but I hope other bikers heed this as a warning to follow road rules. Bikers flaunt almost every road rule there is. The rule against bikes going into the tunnel was probably put in place to stop exactly this kind of thing from happening.

I agree that motorcyclists can be reckless and should think more about the way they drive, like all the other motorists, but if you have any experience of Thai roads and highways, you would know that the level of consideration that goes in to making things safe, ranges from minimal to non-existent. Drive for five minutes anywhere in Bangkok and you are likely to spot more than one potential death trap junction, corner, u-turn, blind bend etc, at which fatalities continue to be notched up, month after month, year after year, and nothing is ever done to make things safer. So to say that authorities decreed that bikes should not use tunnels out of a concern for their safety, seems a bit laughable. A better guess for why this law exists might be that it was created several decades ago at a time when motorcycles struggled to keep up with the speed of the other traffic. Nowadays pretty much all new bikes can keep up with the speed of city traffic, unless of course city traffic is doing something like twice the speed limit.

Motorcycle users therefore tend to feel that the law is outdated and unfair, and wonder what the point of abiding by it is, especially when everyone else, including even the local police, are ignoring it. If you argued to them that they should avoid tunnels for their safety, they might think that rather pointless since accidents, like the one we have seen here, can just as easily happen on any stretch of road and whether you are in or out of a tunnel when it happens, will probably not make much difference to the outcome.

"However, the incident is somewhat complicated by the fact that motorcyclists are not allowed to use the tunnel by law."

No it's not.

Posthumously fine the motorcycle driver for illegally driving in the tunnel. That should sort out the complication. The pickup is clearly out of control and could have injured/killed anybody traveling legally in the tunnel. I'm just waiting for the "brakes failed", "steering failed" or "tire blowout" excuses. Surprised they haven't already been used.

This is the reason why I only drive a car in Thailand, I drive it myself , on a bike you risk your life daily.

Yes I risk my life everyday in riding a motorcycle and being hit by some idiot on 4 or greater wheels. Only once in 30 years have I witnessed a motorcycle+motorcycle accident and never an accident where the blame could be placed on the 2 wheeler. And everyday I see >=4 wheels colliding with >=4 wheels where a motorcycle is not involved. Unfortunately driving culture here dictates that the bigger/more expensive the vehicle the more right it has to be on the road and everyone of a lower class should "get out of the bleeping way".

Motorcycle riding here can be a great pleasure but there are many out there who make it less so.

200k to the family.

Back on the school bread run Monday morning.

coffee1.gif

you forgot the week as a monk !!

Just because you are culturally ignorant, there is no need to make a mockery of this act of "tamboon" which you obviously don't understand. Or maybe you'll tell us next that Buddhism is wrong?

Actually I am supposed to be a christian, but I don't believe in that and if I became religious I would go for Buddism, but no I don't know 'tamboon', I will try to find out about it... But is appears that many people 'only' go to become a monk for a week AFTER they stupidly kill some one.. You see it time and again.. A bit like Catholic's that go to confession after they done something wrong to make themselves feel better about what they have done and to escape from any Godly punishment, but it don't change anything really, a person or persons are still dead from their hand!

"However, the incident is somewhat complicated by the fact that motorcyclists are not allowed to use the tunnel by law."

No it's not.

Posthumously fine the motorcycle driver for illegally driving in the tunnel. That should sort out the complication. The pickup is clearly out of control and could have injured/killed anybody traveling legally in the tunnel. I'm just waiting for the "brakes failed", "steering failed" or "tire blowout" excuses. Surprised they haven't already been used.

yes that would solve the bike rider breaking the law.. But the truck driver, well he did use the excuse the road was wet, ( I think I read that ) pity he didn't just say 'I was drunk' 'I was speeding' or 'I went to sleep" would that one work ? how can you be blamed for doing anything wrong when you are sleeping ??

That is a fatuous argument.

If he had got up five minutes earlier he would still be alive.

If he had stopped at the Seven for cigarettes he would still be alive.

If had ridden a little bit faster/slower he would still be alive.

And so on.

The simple fact is he was run down by a drunk driver who lost control of his vehicle.

The motorcyclists use of the underpass pales into insignificance against that fact.

Sure riding in the tunnel does pale to insignificance to the drunk driver, I totally agree, but that doesn't alter the fact it is against the law to ride a bike in the tunnel, but getting up 5 minutes earlier, stopping for cigarettes etc etc are not against the law ... a fraction of a second later and the guy on the bike behind would be now dead, I bet he don't ride through the tunnel again ... and on the road you can take some evasive action but in a tunnel there is no where to go.

I just trying to point out to others that 'just maybe' it is not a good idea to ride there.. but I guess there are not many Thais that read this anyway!

Surely you're not serious and just trolling?

How many times do you need to be told that your argument about riding in the tunnel is fatuous? It is neither more nor less dangerous riding in the tunnels and on overpasses compared to normal streets. The "law" (not law but traffic regulations) also states that motorcycles have to keep to the left most lane. Motorcyclists name this the "suicide" lane as this is where they are most likely to be involved in an accident.

From your posts on this subject, I have my doubts as to whether you are in fact a qualified motorist.

The pickup driver should be charged with drink driving and manslaughter (if that charge exists in Thailand) but I hope other bikers heed this as a warning to follow road rules. Bikers flaunt almost every road rule there is. The rule against bikes going into the tunnel was probably put in place to stop exactly this kind of thing from happening. True, drink driving should be punished harshly but bikers ruin the roads with their attitudes, speed, behavior and recklessness, they just think nothing applies to them at all, From what I understand the poor biker in the video died of head injuries and although the video is sped up so it's hard to tell, there may have been a chance that with a decent helmet (instead of a decade-old 100baht Big C helmet) the biker could have survived. Only foreign bikers use proper protective gear, the Thais just ride in jeans or shorts and flip flops as if nothing will ever happen.

Your level of ignorance is astounding.

Road rules in Thailand are a joke to start off with. See my post above on the "suicide" lane. And you want bikers to follow them?

And your last sentence about foreign vs Thai bikers just shows that you have very little idea about biking in Thailand.

That is a fatuous argument.

If he had got up five minutes earlier he would still be alive.

If he had stopped at the Seven for cigarettes he would still be alive.

If had ridden a little bit faster/slower he would still be alive.

And so on.

The simple fact is he was run down by a drunk driver who lost control of his vehicle.

The motorcyclists use of the underpass pales into insignificance against that fact.

Sure riding in the tunnel does pale to insignificance to the drunk driver, I totally agree, but that doesn't alter the fact it is against the law to ride a bike in the tunnel, but getting up 5 minutes earlier, stopping for cigarettes etc etc are not against the law ... a fraction of a second later and the guy on the bike behind would be now dead, I bet he don't ride through the tunnel again ... and on the road you can take some evasive action but in a tunnel there is no where to go.

I just trying to point out to others that 'just maybe' it is not a good idea to ride there.. but I guess there are not many Thais that read this anyway!

How many times do you need to be told that your argument about riding in the tunnel is fatuous? It is neither more nor less dangerous riding in the tunnels and on overpasses compared to normal streets. The "law" (not law but traffic regulations) also states that motorcycles have to keep to the left most lane. Motorcyclists name this the "suicide" lane as this is where they are most likely to be involved in an accident.

From your posts on this subject, I have my doubts as to whether you are in fact a qualified motorist.

haha a bit of stirring brings out some interesting comments.. But you have to admit if the bike rider didn't break the law, didn't ride through the tunnel, that he would still be alive now ? that is a FACT !! because he wouldn't and shouldn't have been there in the first place, (even if thousands of people do the same) and you can't dispute that no matter how insignificant it may be in this horrible accident.. Oh I have had a licence and driven cars for 40 years but not on these crazy roads in this country, but have used motorbike here for 2 years...

It doesn't matter if the bike rider was in a tunnel he was not supposed to be in , it could have happened anywhere on the smaller roads , drunk driving is the norm here so there's nothing you can do really , on a bike you're like a target for the big 4 wheelers.

Aside from the tragic accident, just look at the number of motor bikes flaunting the law by using the tunnel. When are the police going to start enforcing the law! Enclosed areas like tunnels are no place for motorbikes.

But ok for drunk drivers ?

The pickup driver should be charged with drink driving and manslaughter (if that charge exists in Thailand) but I hope other bikers heed this as a warning to follow road rules. Bikers flaunt almost every road rule there is. The rule against bikes going into the tunnel was probably put in place to stop exactly this kind of thing from happening. True, drink driving should be punished harshly but bikers ruin the roads with their attitudes, speed, behavior and recklessness, they just think nothing applies to them at all, From what I understand the poor biker in the video died of head injuries and although the video is sped up so it's hard to tell, there may have been a chance that with a decent helmet (instead of a decade-old 100baht Big C helmet) the biker could have survived. Only foreign bikers use proper protective gear, the Thais just ride in jeans or shorts and flip flops as if nothing will ever happen.

Road rules in Thailand are a joke to start off with. See my post above on the "suicide" lane. And you want bikers to follow them?

And your last sentence about foreign vs Thai bikers just shows that you have very little idea about biking in Thailand.

Its not ignorant its 100% true. The cowardly b who mowed down the bike, tried to drive off, then walked away as if he was going for a packet of fags should be banged up for manslaughter, no question (as the post states).

Thai motorcyclists are on par with a scene from Mad max, as are nearly all Thai drivers.

The line of motorcyclists in that tunnel should NOT have been there end of. They're warned of the dangers of wreckless driving yet CHOOSE to ignore it, then put everybody else at risk by doing so.

Thais are the hub" of law breaking throughout the world. Chances are he/she saw a way of saving 5 minutes and broke the law. The same applies for illegal u-turns, going the wrong way up a road, avoiding waiting at a red light.... The only reason they do it is they're lazy, selfish, inconsiderate, impatient morons who have no respect for anybody else around them.

OW, one angry dude here. Why the need for personal insults. A forum is a place for healthy disagreements.

Personally, I think you are the one showing ignorance in this thread.

It doesn't matter if the bike rider was in a tunnel he was not supposed to be in , it could have happened anywhere on the smaller roads , drunk driving is the norm here so there's nothing you can do really , on a bike you're like a target for the big 4 wheelers.

Of course it does matter, as this death would not have happened, and they guy may have lived to be 100..

sure there will be hundreds of other deaths anywhere else, but if they stopped riding through the tunnels, as the law says, then this one wouldn't happened ,, and if they keep it up, it won't be long before the next death there..

If everyone followed all the laws there would be any deaths, you just have to start somewhere to cut them down... .

Interesting quote. " Motorcyclists are not allowed to use the tunnel by law". I counted quite a few in there. Also, this will be used as his 'Get out of ail free card'. If the motorcyclist hadn't been in the tunnel, the accident wouldn't have happened.

Yes, This is the same police force that charged the Rohingya escapee with assault, post mortem, so they could work up a defence for his executor.

Interesting quote. " Motorcyclists are not allowed to use the tunnel by law". I counted quite a few in there. Also, this will be used as his 'Get out of ail free card'. If the motorcyclist hadn't been in the tunnel, the accident wouldn't have happened.

Yes, This is the same police force that charged the Rohingya escapee with assault, post mortem, so they could work up a defence for his executor.

that's right, if the bike rider hadn't of been there, the death wouldn't have happened, that's a fact... also if the pickup driver wasn't out drinking all night and drunk driving, (probably speeding too) and didn't lose control to skid into the other oncoming lane, there would't have been a death either, just a dent to the front of the van and he would have been able to drive off, like he tried to do.. "two wrongs don't make a right" and just because a thousand bikers use the tunnel, don't make it right !!

haha a bit of stirring brings out some interesting comments.. But you have to admit if the bike rider didn't break the law, didn't ride through the tunnel, that he would still be alive now ? that is a FACT !! because he wouldn't and shouldn't have been there in the first place, (even if thousands of people do the same) and you can't dispute that no matter how insignificant it may be in this horrible accident.. Oh I have had a licence and driven cars for 40 years but not on these crazy roads in this country, but have used motorbike here for 2 years...

Fact is that if he didn't ride through the tunnel as he did that particular second, he MIGHT still be alive. However as mentioned many times before, that is a fatuous argument and you know it yourself.

Fact also is that you don't drive in this country and have only used a bike for 2 years. I doubt very much you ride in Bangkok though. That makes your view of bikes in tunnels abundantly clear.

Its not ignorant its 100% true. The cowardly b who mowed down the bike, tried to drive off, then walked away as if he was going for a packet of fags should be banged up for manslaughter, no question (as the post states).

Thai motorcyclists are on par with a scene from Mad max, as are nearly all Thai drivers.

The line of motorcyclists in that tunnel should NOT have been there end of. They're warned of the dangers of wreckless driving yet CHOOSE to ignore it, then put everybody else at risk by doing so.

Thais are the hub" of law breaking throughout the world. Chances are he/she saw a way of saving 5 minutes and broke the law. The same applies for illegal u-turns, going the wrong way up a road, avoiding waiting at a red light.... The only reason they do it is they're lazy, selfish, inconsiderate, impatient morons who have no respect for anybody else around them.

I agree that the driver should be locked away for a long time. However, that was not what I was referring to (do try to read the original post again).

jadee goes on an absurd rant about bikers and shows more ignorance with his reasoning for the tunnel rule. He cements this with his final statement on protective gear.

On your part, you associate riding through a tunnel with (w)reckless driving. So are you saying that riding through a tunnel in downtown Bkk reckless? And riding through a tunnel is endangering other road users?

Your last para refers to presumably all Thai motorists and not just bikers?

OW, one angry dude here. Why the need for personal insults. A forum is a place for healthy disagreements.

Personally, I think you are the one showing ignorance in this thread.

Nah, not angry at all. I agree that a forum is a place for healthy disagreements. But when you have a non-biker making rubbish comments about biking and not having any first hand experience, then it is no longer a disagreement, just vile criticism.

That doesn't look like a tunnel to me. More like a cutting. Maybe they just haven't got around to putting the roof on yet

It looks like the open roofed exit/entry part of the tunnel. Underpass (a place where a road or railroad crosses under another road or railroad.) would probably be a better description as it is clearly not a tunnel like those found in the Alps.

Fact is that if he didn't ride through the tunnel as he did that particular second, he MIGHT still be alive. However as mentioned many times before, that is a fatuous argument and you know it yourself.

Fact also is that you don't drive in this country and have only used a bike for 2 years. I doubt very much you ride in Bangkok though. That makes your view of bikes in tunnels abundantly clear.

well whatever I ride and how often is fatuous, but I do understand road laws, and it still remains that he broke the law by being in the tunnel, and that is a fact, and it does have a big relevance to his untimely death..

"Bikers ruin the roads with their attitudes..." Nice one. And other drivers don't. When you state that riders should rein in their riding, you conveniently give free pass to those who break the law while blaming those who stretch it "drink driving should be punished harshly but bikers ruin the roads with their attitudes, speed, behavior and recklessness". Bad attitudes should be punished... That's a gem! If you were talking about Fortuner drivers, minivan drivers, little girls in Vios with 50 toys on the back window, I'd possibly agree...

There is a significant lack of discipline among all local drivers, regardless of what they use. I am 'abused' by car drivers when on my bike and without exception because they perceive they have priority over me due to 4 wheels and expected higher cost of their vehicle (which is typically not the case), but obviously irrelevant...

When a biker rides badly, the impact of the risk they take mainly applies at themselves. When a driver drives badly, there is a significantly higher portion of the risk that will impact other road users and those nearby. It is perfectly possible for a biker to harm a pedestrian, other rider, or even a car driver, but both less likely and with lower average harm than a car or truck.

I ride and drive here, and have done for over 25 years. From my experience I see you opinion as upside down. Bikers need no warning about the dangers of riding. They need existing legislation to be enforced. That applies to them as to all vehicles. They need legislation that protects them, not demotes their status and makes them inconsequential for cage drivers. They need higher standards of driving all around them and better policing to reduce the threats to all road users. They need consistent rules - there are bridges and tunnels we can ride, there are those we can't. There is no standard, no logic, and no consistent enforcement. There is certainly no broadcasting of why such decisions are made - no attempt to explain the purpose.

As for safety gear, you are plain wrong. Most Thai bikers wear full gear. Most scooter riders wear just a cheap helmet. You might not see a difference between a biker and a scooter rider, but that there is one of several. Since 2010 I've seen an increase in scooter riders wearing protective jackets and gloves. Helmet standards have improved. It will take another 5 to 10 years, but personal safety standards are improving for scooter riders - they are being dragged up by bikers who are highly visible in their full gear.

Driving standards on highways has improved - many more cars will drop out of the right lane when a bike approaches from behind. Now, nearly half will actually signal left before pulling in! Bikers in Thailand acknowledge those better drivers with a nod and a thumbs-up as we pass to enforce the behaviour. It is slowly having an effect - things will get better... just slowly.

You are clueless.

You suggest that only riders abuse the rules and are dangerous and that they endanger everyone. I suggest you revisit the video of the truck that ran through several bikers at a lights down south in late May. Some of those riders were not wearing helmets. The penalty for breaking the law is a legally provisioned sanction, not extra-judicial physical abuse or killing. It cannot be argued that a rider in a tunnel is to blame for his death by a drunk driver losing control of his vehicle. If a car were in his place with a child in the front seat - who would you blame?

The penalty for riding in a tunnel is a fine, period. His death is the result of a crime that supersedes his misdemeanour. Had the accident happened elsewhere, this would be clear to you. Despite this you lean on the riders minor infraction to impart blame for anothers abject abuse of the law. You accuse the rider of being reckless when there is no justification for it. He was not speeding, he was left in his lane (legally correctly, tactically wrong), and had a helmet on. The accident could be recreated on any two-lane road - no logical or physical differentiation with the actual accident. The only difference is the legal status of the bike.

Do you think that any of the car drivers know which tunnels bikes can use and which they cannot? Why are some free for all and some restricted? Would that change the behaviour of the car drivers? No. They would still expect bikes to be there, regardless of the law. Same for bikers not riding in the suicide lane. They know there will be a parked car around a blind corner as the driver relieves himself at the side of the road. That's why bikers don't use that lane...

Well, I've read enough crap on this topic to last me a lifetime. Some of you have made good points, which have been worthwhile reading. However, some of you seem to be sadly out of touch with reality in Thailand. Moreover, none of you are going to make any difference to the daily carnage on the roads, which can be mostly put down to, "Thainess".

Let's get to the facts:

1. The motorcyclist shouldn't have been in the tunnel; you can put that down to personal infringement of the law, or a number of other reasons already mentioned.

2. The pick-up driver shouldn't have been in the tunnel; he was pissed and shouldn't have been behind the wheel. You can put that down to personal infringement of the law, only.

So, facts 1 and 2 cancel each other out; neither of them should have been there.

3. The only fact to be considered here is the fact that the pick-up driver has caused a death by his reckless driving. When tested, he was shown to have 147mg/l of alcohol in his bloodstream, that is 97mg/l over the limit. He was probably still pissed from the day before, although more likely is the probablility that he was still pissed from when he took his first drink of Laokhoa some years ago, topping up on a daily basis. Added to that, he tried to make a quick getaway, so as not to face up to the responsibility of causing the death of the motorcyclist, even stating to the police that the motorcyclist lost control, a blatant lie.

Cut and dried, I think! Lock him up for 10 years, with no chance of parole; that should give him plenty of time to refelct on his failure to grow up into a human being, and also time for his body to adjust to life without alcohol.

Case closed!

Well, I've read enough crap on this topic to last me a lifetime. Some of you have made good points, which have been worthwhile reading. However, some of you seem to be sadly out of touch with reality in Thailand. Moreover, none of you are going to make any difference to the daily carnage on the roads, which can be mostly put down to, "Thainess".

Let's get to the facts:

1. The motorcyclist shouldn't have been in the tunnel; you can put that down to personal infringement of the law, or a number of other reasons already mentioned.

2. The pick-up driver shouldn't have been in the tunnel; he was pissed and shouldn't have been behind the wheel. You can put that down to personal infringement of the law, only.

So, facts 1 and 2 cancel each other out; neither of them should have been there.

3. The only fact to be considered here is the fact that the pick-up driver has caused a death by his reckless driving. When tested, he was shown to have 147mg/l of alcohol in his bloodstream, that is 97mg/l over the limit. He was probably still pissed from the day before, although more likely is the probablility that he was still pissed from when he took his first drink of Laokhoa some years ago, topping up on a daily basis. Added to that, he tried to make a quick getaway, so as not to face up to the responsibility of causing the death of the motorcyclist, even stating to the police that the motorcyclist lost control, a blatant lie.

Cut and dried, I think! Lock him up for 10 years, with no chance of parole; that should give him plenty of time to refelct on his failure to grow up into a human being, and also time for his body to adjust to life without alcohol.

Case closed!

He may get locked up for 2 years for causing a death?

But some one that said something against the king, (I read) got 7 years in jail.

Let's get to the facts:

Case closed!

He may get locked up for 2 years for causing a death?

But some one that said something against the king, (I read) got 7 years in jail.

You're probably right. Life is cheap in Thailand. Let's hope he doesn't have enough money to pay-off the family; that's the only way he might get a stiffer sentence.