Where to get international driving permit for Thai license Thai citizen?

steelepulse

I understood that you can apply at every DLT, just that some will send the application to Bangkor or some main office for issuance?

(sent back to provincial office)

Does such a thing exist?

IDP based on 1949 convention.

By coincidence there was a similar thread started just yesterday.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/925578-internationa-thail-driving-licence-valid-in-germany/

Your wife can drive on UK roads for up to twelve months with her Thai licence

Where does she want to drive, no mention of UK?

Edited by KhunBENQ

^ Not being aware of this Thai IDP (my wife has a UK license which is useable pretty much anywhere), I was giving an option and suggesting looking into similar options. But the op's question has been better answered by yourself and others.thumbsup.gif

Does such a thing exist? Your wife can drive on UK roads for up to twelve months with her Thai license. Worth checking the regulations in any other countries she wishes to visit?

You can check this , but if his wife has an old type driving license , the one with cardboard and glued photo, they are only it Thai language and she would need the International Driving permit. Some Thai citizen still have this old type especially the 'For life "licenses.

I did one get one in the past in Bangkok but you can add CHiangmai Land TRansport to the list of office that can do it.

The IDL is issued at any local Department of Land Transport office (same as her Thai driving license). Although I see stories of people being able to rent cars in the USA, UK, Europe, etc, using only the TDL, I'd say they were lucky. I tried to rent one in USA a few years ago on my Thai DL and was rejected because the home address is in Thai. Luckily my wife had her IDL and we were permitted to rent the car under her ID license 'only'. I was not even permitted to sign as an additional driver. We always get an IDL now before traveling to a destination in which we plan to rent a car.

the 5 years thai license is in English and u can rent cars in the states as i have done it many times

The ONLY idl is issued in Switzerand and its not cheap

what most refer to is an international driving PERMIT which is nothing but an english translation of your home country's license.and NOT legal to drive on without a real license

Just done some reading, and a large number of countries, including Thailand, are signed up to a reciprocal agreement which allows visitors to drive on their home country license for up to one year:

http://www.drivers.com/article/937/

The link is specifically about IDPs, but is equally applicable to national driving licenses. An advisory I read elsewhere is that insurance is only valid for a max of three months when driving abroad on a home license or IDP.

the 5 years thai license is in English and u can rent cars in the states as i have done it many times

The ONLY idl is issued in Switzerand and its not cheap

what most refer to is an international driving PERMIT which is nothing but an english translation of your home country's license.and NOT legal to drive on without a real license

Yes, the license is in English or most of it. Your home address is in Thai. All it takes is one rental car agent or manager to decide the TDL should be supported by the IDL and your screwed, if you've reserved the car on discounted rate. Irony of it is that the IDL doesn't even have an address in(on) it.

The IDL issued at the Transport Dept is the same as those issued at Triple Auto Club in the US. It's just supported by the Thai DL as the Triple A is supported by the US 'State' License. The photo of an IDL posted earlier on this thread is all that's needed. (I'm not going to bite on your comment about Switzerland issuing the only IDL. Heck, Switzerland's not even in the EU. Oh wait a minute, I did bite).

Note: I am on my second 5 year Thai DL. Been there done that and it almost cost me dearly.

OK, my wife got the IDP from her license with no expiration date. So we're all set. To answer other posters about Thai license in English, my wife's license is all in Thai.

Yes, you're set. Better to be sure she won't have a problem this year. I hate to be the bearer of the bad news. It's only valid for one year from the date of issue. That little notice is one the back of the permit. wacko.pngsad.png

OK, my wife got the IDP from her license with no expiration date. So we're all set. To answer other posters about Thai license in English, my wife's license is all in Thai.

She still has one of the old lifetime licences? Can be upgraded to a new lifetime licence, much easier in case of any future trips abroad.

• 4 weeks later...

She still has one of the old lifetime licences? Can be upgraded to a new lifetime licence, much easier in case of any future trips abroad.

Just a few months ago back in UK both of us had only Thai licenses and had no problem renting.

Both licenses accepted.

Edited by overherebc

Just a few months ago back in UK both of us had only Thai licenses and had no problem renting.

Both licenses accepted.

You mean a Thai DL or a DL in Thai in stead of Thai and English?