Fatal crash victim's family demands B2.1mn in damages

rooster59

Four days ago Thaivisa carried a report on this case in which the mother of the dead man called for justice to be done.

The article also said this regarding his Thai wife:-

"she wishes to have no more to do with the case and move on with her life."

I wonder what made her decide to get involved again?

And if it is written in a Thaivisa article, it absolutely must be true?

No, being in a Thaivisa article doesn't make it true but as that is the only information regarding this case that I have to go on then I base my comments on what was written.

There are actually several discrepancies between what is written here and what appeared in the article a few days ago. For instance, this article says he confessed but in the one a few days ago the mother of the victim says he hasn't confessed:-

"The family of Andreas Walter in Germany have released an open letter to the killer of their son. Mother Helga Walter (77) writes to Jakarin and begs him to confess and tell the whole truth about this dreadful and tragic night in Karon."

What I really want to know is whether the German side of the family have agreed to no jail time in return for compensation, if so, this is a major turnaround from a few days ago.

There are 2 cases here, civil (which is between the injured party or their representative & the perpetrator) & criminal which is for the police & the courts to decide. I assume in many cases the police will persuade the injured party or relatives to forgo any criminal prosecution in order to smooth the way for a payout. However, even if a payout is made it does not mean that charges will automatically be dropped.

Four days ago Thaivisa carried a report on this case in which the mother of the dead man called for justice to be done.

No, being in a Thaivisa article doesn't make it true but as that is the only information regarding this case that I have to go on then I base my comments on what was written.

There are actually several discrepancies between what is written here and what appeared in the article a few days ago. For instance, this article says he confessed but in the one a few days ago the mother of the victim says he hasn't confessed:-

"The family of Andreas Walter in Germany have released an open letter to the killer of their son. Mother Helga Walter (77) writes to Jakarin and begs him to confess and tell the whole truth about this dreadful and tragic night in Karon."

What I really want to know is whether the German side of the family have agreed to no jail time in return for compensation, if so, this is a major turnaround from a few days ago.

There are 2 cases here, civil (which is between the injured party or their representative & the perpetrator) & criminal which is for the police & the courts to decide. I assume in many cases the police will persuade the injured party or relatives to forgo any criminal prosecution in order to smooth the way for a payout. However, even if a payout is made it does not mean that charges will automatically be dropped.

“Mr Walter’s family initially wanted to fight the case and have Mr Jakarin serve jail time. However, after his confession, they agreed to negotiate for compensation.”

"If our terms are not met, we will do our best to ensure that he faces jail time,” Ms Patcharin told the Gazette."

Those two sentences imply to me that if he pays up he wont be going to jail.

“Mr Walter’s family initially wanted to fight the case and have Mr Jakarin serve jail time. However, after his confession, they agreed to negotiate for compensation.”

"If our terms are not met, we will do our best to ensure that he faces jail time,” Ms Patcharin told the Gazette."

Those two sentences imply to me that if he pays up he wont be going to jail.

Yes, quite typical for Thailand.

anyway, I hope the thai driver will imprisoned for years.

I was wondering if he was wearing an helmet or had a driver license because of the compensation that the family asking for.

for me, no compensation if no helmet or no DL...

You must be new here....or are you even in Thailand? If you think the death of your loved one by a reckless driver here would see the offender go to jail...think again. If the offender is hi-so...influential...connected....the chances of them going to jail is next to zero. This ain't Kansas Dorothy. Compensation is often the only thing available to victims here.

Compensation is often the only thing available to victims here."" - true, but just how much "compensation" can Somchai, the som tum seller, pay????

Therein, lays the injustice.

"No hab money to pay" - no compensation and no justice, especially if a farang is the victim.

• 2 weeks later...

I just feel bored of the Thai mentality, asking for a compensation even there's insurance. It's all about money...

The German guy would be happy to know that his life's worth 1.2M bahts.

"It's all about the money", the usual, predictable, fatuous remark that is posted here frequently as though Thai people shouldn't be allowed to claim compensation. There's nothing much more boring than that sentiment.

The German's family and his wife are asking for compensation not the deceased, jeez. This is not just about Thais. Try reading what this is all really about before you condemn those who have lost loved ones and future support. Compensation for the death of an income providing family member is usual in most countries.

I do believe you are incorrect. Thai wife, Thai family, dead German husband. To me this sounds like you are bashing this guy because he pointed out that it was Thais.

I just feel bored of the Thai mentality, asking for a compensation even there's insurance. It's all about money...

The German guy would be happy to know that his life's worth 1.2M bahts.

"It's all about the money", the usual, predictable, fatuous remark that is posted here frequently as though Thai people shouldn't be allowed to claim compensation. There's nothing much more boring than that sentiment.

The German's family and his wife are asking for compensation not the deceased, jeez. This is not just about Thais. Try reading what this is all really about before you condemn those who have lost loved ones and future support. Compensation for the death of an income providing family member is usual in most countries.

I do believe you are incorrect. Thai wife, Thai family, dead German husband. To me this sounds like you are bashing this guy because he pointed out that it was Thais.

"About a week after the accident, Ms Patcharin and her family submitted CCTV footage, and presented witnesses to the police." - this reads to me like the Thai lady and HER family are seeking compensation, not the victim's family back in German.