KBank OTP working overseas with a Thai SIM?

Depends on your country and roaming quality. I'm on TrueMove using it in Singapore without any issues. But last time tried in my home country and SMS were delivered with a huge delay. A few years ago I was on Dtac and didn't have roaming issues. Maybe it was temporary network problems last time.

Anywyas, make sure you enable roaming before you leave Thailand.

I use Happy DTAC and it works in many foreign country.. but not in every (DTAC in Emirates i had some problems)

It depends in which country you are and which Thai SIM card you use.

But in most countries it will work.

Kbank have another option which I have used for the last 10+ years. You get a second password (which they call PIN2) and when you make a transaction you input this second password to the system, instead of using an OTP. The transaction is then processed. I have used this from many countries using internet banking on my laptop or ipad without any problems

At the time I set it up you had to use a Kbank branch to authenticate your application but this may have changed since. Have a look at their internet banking under Security and perhaps PIN2 is mentioned.

swoods58, on 27 Jun 2016 - 16:09, said:

I use True prepaid. I've never been able connect from Australia to receive the sms. How can I turn on roaming and what carrier in Australia hosts True? Thanks.

had the same problem with Krungsri in Europe.. Went to one of their servicecentres and they fixed it. Works perfect now.

Kbank have another option which I have used for the last 10+ years. You get a second password (which they call PIN2) and when you make a transaction you input this second password to the system, instead of using an OTP. The transaction is then processed. I have used this from many countries using internet banking on my laptop or ipad without any problems

At the time I set it up you had to use a Kbank branch to authenticate your application but this may have changed since. Have a look at their internet banking under Security and perhaps PIN2 is mentioned.

I also had this some time ago...

Because of some limitations, like open a new transfer account without transfering documents to open a new "transfer to account" It was not usefull for me... and many things took some more time.. But if you need the internet banking only to transfer to already known accounts or checking the money in it... I think there is nothing wrong with the PIN2

Works for me too with DTAC... most of the time.

Sometimes (a couple of times per month, usually within the midnight-4AM time frame in Thailand) the SMS are so slow to arrive that the OTP pin has expired before I can get the SMS. In such a situation it sometimes takes up to 15 minutes before I receive them. Too late.

Not sure whether the delays are induced by roaming or if KBANK is slow to emit them (because of ongoing nightly maintenance on their systems)

Edited by Lannig

Its working, but you need enable roaming

Wrong. I am overseas now. Cellular and roaming disabled. I still get sms from my bank when connected to wifi.

Strange, an SMS would be expected to come over the telephone network and have nothing to do with Wi-Fi.

If I expected a OTP while I was in the UK I switched on my 'spare' phone with the AIS SIM inserted and it connected to O2 in roaming mode and the OTP came through quite quickly.

Because of some limitations, like open a new transfer account without transfering documents to open a new "transfer to account" It was not usefull for me... and many things took some more time.. But if you need the internet banking only to transfer to already known accounts or checking the money in it... I think there is nothing wrong with the PIN2

KBank have stopped PIN2. its no longer an option on their web site to switch back to when I checked about 8 weeks ago. It likely still works if you are still on PIN2 and haven't changed the verification method since though, but I tried to go back to PIN2 from OTP and couldn't.

I will try DTAC OPT on int roaming SIM next when I travel to Myanmar. The other methods like 3D bar code method was very dodgy when I tried it and then locked me out the account. Another method is to phone them up to activate a 24hour PIN2 by email which is a last resort for me as it takes time.

Edited by WorriedNoodle

As others say, works fine as long as you enable roaming. While roaming charges are high for making or receiving calls, receiving SMS is free, at least with AIS.

I found my DTac SIM was enabled for roaming without having to do anything at all.