Rabies shots, how much does it cost?

Sotoho81

I need to get 5 shots, I can get them in Bangkok or in another place where I'd stay for a month. Approximately, how much is a rabies shot in Bangkok and is it much cheaper in Chiang Mai or Samui or about the same? I've heard that it's around 1000 baht per shot, correct?

All I remember about finishing up my course in BKK Bumrungrad is that it struck me as very reasonable. And that's after I started the course in China where it was around $10-15 per shot.

If Bumrungrad is reasonable, most others shouldn't hurt more than the shot, which didn't hurt at all, unlike when I was a kid.

If you really need to have those shots because you may have been bitten/licked/whatever by a rabid animal do not delay getting them until you have found a better price at the other end of the country.

• Like 1

Welcome to the club.

Rabies (Rabipur) 5 shots and 2 (?) tetanus after being bitten by some strolling cat.

4 visits done, last one coming Saturday.

First time was 520 Baht (maybe rabies plus tetanus).

The following three were 370 Baht each (350 + 20).

20 for the "work"?

Bills have gone to the bin already so can't reproduce exactly.

That's from an upcountry state hospital.

Private hospitals will probably be more expensive although there would be little justification for a higher serum(?) price.

Edited by KhunBENQ

If you really need to have those shots because you may have been bitten/licked/whatever by a rabid animal do not delay getting them until you have found a better price at the other end of the country.

ABSOLUTELTY !!!!

Rush!

• Like 1

cool.png Having lived for 7 years in Thailand previously there doesn't seem to be hardly any situation I did not experience. In my first year I was nipped on the calf by a dog . My girlfriend and her friends at the time totally freaked out that I was going to turn into a Werewolf or something. Being somewhat medically knowledgeable and knowing that Rabies is no joke I went to the local hospital. The Dr. there explained to me that Thailand is a hot country and there are a lot of cases of Rabies. I was living in Hua Hin at the time and got the series of shots . It cost around 3000 Bht in 2000. I found out later I could have got it cheaper from the local Red Cross station. Interestingly enough I believe that if you have had these shots if bitten in the future will only need a booster , but not sure how many years that applies

• Like 1

cool.png Having lived for 7 years in Thailand previously there doesn't seem to be hardly any situation I did not experience. In my first year I was nipped on the calf by a dog . My girlfriend and her friends at the time totally freaked out that I was going to turn into a Werewolf or something. Being somewhat medically knowledgeable and knowing that Rabies is no joke I went to the local hospital. The Dr. there explained to me that Thailand is a hot country and there are a lot of cases of Rabies. I was living in Hua Hin at the time and got the series of shots . It cost around 3000 Bht in 2000. I found out later I could have got it cheaper from the local Red Cross station. Interestingly enough I believe that if you have had these shots if bitten in the future will only need a booster , but not sure how many years that applies

2 years I think the doc said ...I should make notes .....but I think it also depends on bite severity,mix deep and really bad...the immunoglobulin shot into the womb may be required ....ouch....and expensive

• Like 1

2 years I think the doc said ...I should make notes .....but I think it also depends on bite severity,mix deep and really bad...the immunoglobulin shot into the womb may be required ....ouch....and expensive

You do know that men don't have a womb?

• Like 2

Some should have ...

Dunno what I was thinking.....nice thoughts but

Edited by Inyourendo
  • Like 1

Some should have ...

With that shot you worry if you see the needle come out your back....it means they have gone to far and will have to do it again

I doubt that there is any difference in the procedure for the "post exposure vaccination".

Rabies:

the manufacturer of "Rabipur" gives an exact plan for amount and timing (day 0, 3, 7, 14, 28, 1 ml each). My day 28 is tomorrow.

Tetanus:

first shot was given on day 0, tomorrow (day 28) first booster.

Another booster in one year.

All shots to the upper arms/shoulder area.

And as written on day 0 paid 570 (?) Baht and paid 370 Baht for the follow up rabies shots.

Edited by KhunBENQ

In Thailand even many "women" don't have a womb but they will get their own prison now for cocooning

I heard that if you have been bitten by a rabid dog ,shots are free at govt hospitals

How do you know its rabid? Gov hospitals do charge for rabies shots last year my total 3200 baht at Banglemung including shots and ten days dressing .

I would not be shopping around for the cheapest price on rabies shots. Get them immediately if you have been bitten, visibly rabid or not. I understand from various descriptions once the virus starts attacking the nervous system it's one of the worst possible ways to die.

• Like 2

It depends where you go. I had 5 shots after being bitten by a cat ("Why'd you get bitten by a cat?" I'm a farang and I like cats. Next question? wink.png) Caveat: I had a rabies series years earlier prior to moving to Thailand (which explains why I pet strays). So my 5 shots were boosters.

At the local Amphur hospital, about 400 THB/shot. Looking at the other posts, it looks like the private hospitals will double or triple that amount. Private 'clinics' are probably somewhere in-between. Guess it depends on your budget. Have fun. I tend to like cheap. First visit I saw a doctor. For shots 2 - 5 I simply when to their ER with my shot chit, so no waiting. Unlike many years ago, it now just a regular shot in the arm - doesn't hurt.

Edited by connda

Some should have ...

Some should have ...

Only "Nancy-boys." You know, the one's who cry when they get shots. whistling.gif

Edited by connda

I went to the local hospital in Korat.

Rabipur First shot 423 bath then 4 times a 350bath

3 time Tetanus was an amazing price from 43 bath each

and a cake for the friendly staff 120 bath :-)

• Like 2

ABSOLUTELTY !!!!

Rush!

Agreed. Rabies is a dreadful disease that tortures you then kills you. Prompt treatment is absolutely essential. Just get the shots as soon as possible. Call mum for a loan if needs be.

I've received one shot in another country

I've emailed some of the hospitals in Thailand but no reply yet.

Does anybody know if any hospitals in Bkk, Chiang Mai or Samui have exactly verorab? Which ones?

Bkk ...bumgrab has ..... that's what we got .....we did it in 3 different countries

• Like 1

ABSOLUTELTY !!!!

Rush!

Notrubish had it done yesterday me the Mrsand lad state hospital all free . Lad was lockedin face by poss rabid dog took him straight down doctor said will do the three of us just in case. As it turns out dog not rabid better safe than sorry.

• Like 2