MOPH urges people to stop drinking alcohol during Buddhist Lent

webfact

MOPH urges people to stop drinking alcohol during Buddhist Lent

BANGKOK, 20 July 2016 (NNT) – The Ministry of Public Health (MOPH) is inviting people across the country to stop drinking alcohol during the Buddhist Lent period.

In compliance with the Cabinet’s resolution, the No Alcohol Day coincides with Buddhist Lent Day, which this year falls on July 20.

Therefore, MOPH Permanent Secretary Sophon Mekthon encouraged all drinkers to refrain from alcohol consumption from now July 20 until October 16, when the Buddhist Lent will come to an end.

The move is also to honor His Majesty the King on the occasion of the 70th anniversary of his ascension to the throne and promote public recognition of alcohol as a major cause of health problems, violence, accidents and premature death.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-07-20 footer_n.gif

Yesterday my local mom and pop store sold me beer and indicated today wouldn't be a problem.

There's a wat almost directly opposite the shop and the store's ' pop ' is a leading figure in the lay community and I see him out regularly collecting donations for the temple.

I suppose making money balanced against belief is a big struggle or maybe it's ok because I'm not a Buddhist but I'm not sure about the old guy behind me who was in for his shot of Lao Khao. biggrin.png

I guess all the generals will be leading by example and locking up their liquor cabinets at home.

Then pop around to their mia noi and let it all hang out, literally! With a brandy chaser of course.

Yesterday my local mom and pop store sold me beer and indicated today wouldn't be a problem.

There's a wat almost directly opposite the shop and the store's ' pop ' is a leading figure in the lay community and I see him out regularly collecting donations for the temple.

I suppose making money balanced against belief is a big struggle or maybe it's ok because I'm not a Buddhist but I'm not sure about the old guy behind me who was in for his shot of Lao Khao. biggrin.png

From what I've seen/ experienced of Thais who profess being Buddhist is they really don't take the suggestions/beliefs/teachings seriously. Maybe like the "suggestions" on driving etiquette and following rule of law.

Three months on the wagon for the true believers! It will surely be a bumpy ride.

Not really. I am not a Buddhist but I quit drinking on 02 July this year and I don't find it too difficult.

I used to drink Hong Thong soda and ice and I found that I was drinking 2 bottles of Hong Thong every 5 days and sometimes more so I now just drink soda and ice.

Granted I drink more soda but it is only carbonated water anyway.

I may start again after a month or I may be a good husband and abstain from alcohol for the Buddhist Lent so that my wife can drink instead.