Democrat party to announce standpoint on draft charter on Wednesday

webfact

Democrat party to announce standpoint on draft charter on Wednesday

image-1-wpcf_693x413.png

BANGKOK: -- The Democrat party will make a formal announcement on Wednesday whether it will accept or reject the draft constitution.

Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva said today that the party’s standpoint on the draft charter to be announced on Wednesday is not a party’s resolution because the party is still barred from an order of the National Council for Peace and Order to hold political meetings.

He said that the party’s standpoint on this matter had been discussed with key members of the party – all of whom accepted differing opinions about the issue.

He explained that the party’s standpoint is not binding to party members who are free to vote as they wish.

Abhisit said that he had looked beyond the issues about referendum and the draft constitution toward the future of the country because the problems confronting the country are not confined only to political issue but encompass other equally important issues such as education, poverty, disparity as well as national reforms.

The Democrat party leader noted that without public participation in decision making regarding national affairs, it will be difficult for the country to solve all the pressing problems, to move forward and to effect reforms.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/173724-2/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-07-26

Is there anyone apart from the military generals who support it?

Lots of people support it - mainly those that don't respect the democratic will of the those that should not have a say in the running of the country (i.e. the wrong people). It does not mean they have necessarily thought about the new charter or even read it.... just that the alternative to them is worse.

These are the democrats, the only way they are going to get in to pretend "power" is to go yes and continue their allegiange to the elites and the military.

Want to guess what the other big party will be recommending?

Abhisit is just a conniving arse kisser, who only got into power as as a puppet when the army put him there. He could never get enough support to win an election, because most Thai people hold him in contempt as an incompetent snob.

These are the democrats, the only way they are going to get in to pretend "power" is to go yes and continue their allegiange to the elites and the military.

Going on past experience I would say amnesty for all criminals, especially for their leaders.

Abhisit is just a conniving arse kisser, who only got into power as as a puppet when the army put him there. He could never get enough support to win an election, because most Thai people hold him in contempt as an incompetent snob.

My personal opinion is that I rather like Abhisit - and think he is one of the better alternatives. I don't doubt his personal convictions. Yes, he did come to power because of engineering by the establishment last time -- and although he was PM he was not the boss within the party (that resided with Suthep). I think he would be a reasonable choice now that Suthep (who I personally despise) is gone. Do I think he will win the next election? Probably not... Democracy and choices will not progress until the democratic leaders are allowed to fail and eventually lose their popular support, by constantly deposing them through coups this is not being allowed to happen and until it is allowed to -- democracy will not progress.

Going on past experience I would say amnesty for all criminals, especially for their leaders.

Already in the new charter ensuring the current ptb are well protected, but the question simply related to yes or no and you had to complicate it.

The Democrats (anti-Democrats, the party that opposes elections) are in a quandary. They are upset because they expected to be appointed to power by the military and weren't. However they don't want to annoy the military and risk never being appointed to power again.

Doing the groundwork and developing mass appeal to win an election isn't an option for them. Their patron's expect them to be the party of the elite minority, not the masses.

Edited by heybruce

The party is call Prachathipat which means democracy, democratic or democrat. They choose this name because they want the term to mean the people in whom democracy is vested. Shouldnt be too hard for Ahbisit to denounce the draft charter if he got any guts.

You mean like the one the junta gave themselves??

".....the problems confronting the country are not confined only to political issue but encompass other equally important issues such as education, poverty, disparity as well as national reforms."

Wow, NOW you get it!!!!

Do you think that people will vote on party recommendations if so I guess we know the conclusion. The Democratic party seems to say well its not good but its a start. Which party will dangle at the end of the junta's strings.?

it would be a very big surprise if Democrats vote NO. They have been always on the military side.

Well Abhisit called the draft "a retreat from democracy". It would be strange if they support the draft, unless of course Abhisit wasn't speaking on behalf of the party, or they now make a U turn.

The Dems face a dilemma. On the one hand they are on the same political side as the junta. On the other hand they know that if they look associated with the junta, they will not score well in the next election. My guess is they will cowardly declare that they leave their supporters freely decide by themselves in full conscience. :)

Well Abhisit called the draft "a retreat from democracy". It would be strange if they support the draft, unless of course Abhisit wasn't speaking on behalf of the party, or they now make a U turn.

I would not bet that the Democrats will support the no option -- it will be based probably on the consensus of senior party members.... and it could easily be taking the lesser of two evils.... one a very flawed constitution -- or unknown number of continued years under junta rule. Personally though if it were up to me, I would would indicate no on the hope that eventually the junta will be forced to implement a more democratic or temporary constitution until a full constitutional congress selected from a more diverse set of interests. The longer the junta "hangs on" to power in the current situation - the more the grass roots will be able to develop and the more likely the end result will be representative (eventually discontent will grow - it always does the longer anyone stays in power).

The "standpoint" may well end up being a recommendation to vote "with your conscience"?

It hardly matters as a Thai Constitution has the shelf-life of an egg-salad sandwich sitting on a Bangkok sidewalk.

Edited by mtls2005

The Dems face a dilemma. On the one hand they are on the same political side as the junta. On the other hand they know that if they look associated with the junta, they will not score well in the next election. My guess is they will cowardly declare that they leave their supporters freely decide by themselves in full conscience. smile.png

I don't think the Democrats have any hope of doing well in a national election. The last time they tried was in 2011 when they completely misread the mood of the country and took a beating. I think for the foreseeable future they just want whatever power the military will allow them.

I am sure they will ever so reluctantly agree with the Charter.

I don't think the Democrats have taken a formal position but given Abhisit's very clear rejection of the disgraceful document this morning, one supposes they will follow his lead.

it would be a very big surprise if Democrats vote NO. They have been always on the military side.

Surprise!!!!!!!!!! biggrin.png

Maybe they've woken up and smelled the roses. The Thaitanic is heading towards the iceberg and the Dems want off the bridge.