Contrary to what internet says, shop denies these Thai amulets made in China

webfact

Contrary to what internet says, shop denies these Thai amulets made in China
By Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter

13716192_1053495518020965_19341873839059
Amulets sold at the Boom Collection shop in Bangkok were identified Sunday by internet users as cheap Chinese knockoffs. Photo: Socialhithit / Facebook

BANGKOK — When someone posted photos supposedly of a shop in Chinatown selling counterfeit Buddhist amulets made en masse in a Chinese factory, all hell broke loose, with netizens screaming: Is nothing sacred or exclusively Thai anymore?

“Has the national religion entered such a dark age?” Facebook user Ongart Leepaipal wrote in reply Sunday. “Responsible officials, please help do something about this, before it gets any worse.”

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/culture/net/2016/07/25/contrary-internet-says-shop-denies-selling-thai-amulets-made-china/

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-07-26

What protection does a 20 Baht amulet provide ?

Plenty of outrage about fake amulets from China but where's the outrage at fake Thai monks, reaching all the way to the top, bringing Buddhism into disrepute on an almost daily basis ?

Just look what Google comes up with when you search for this: "Palace closed scam."

https://www.google.nl/search?q=palace+closed+scam&rlz=1C1CHWL_nlTH663TH663&oq=palace+closed+scam&aqs=chrome..69i57.4720j0j9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

And nobody in Thailand ever speaks about this........

It is still going on, unbelievably. This happened to friends visiting Thailand only last month, so they never got to see the Grand Palace. They didn't know about the scam.

Just look what Google comes up with when you search for this: "Palace closed scam."

https://www.google.nl/search?q=palace+closed+scam&rlz=1C1CHWL_nlTH663TH663&oq=palace+closed+scam&aqs=chrome..69i57.4720j0j9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

And nobody in Thailand ever speaks about this........

It is still going on, unbelievably. This happened to friends visiting Thailand only last month, so they never got to see the Grand Palace. They didn't know about the scam.

Before our wedding in Thailand my family all came to BKK. They wanted to see that palace but when our taxi's arrived it was "closed" so the official looking guy who opened our taxidoors brought us to the longtailboats.

My family still makes fun of it every time they are together and think about Thailand.

Also i bet my weddingring (from Chinatown) that taxi's in that whole area s till won't use their metre.

Edited by Thian

Either way people look at it, whether they are made in China or not, one thing is for certain. Someone is getting charged for defamation, and it ain't the shop owner.

Edited by Rayk

Amulets might be a special case but this can work both ways: a few weeks ago I was in Finland and wanted a nice local gift to bring back for the wife of a Thai colleague, found some nice Marimekko ceramics, bought them only to discover MADE IN THAILAND on the base when taking off the price stickers.

Amulets might be a special case but this can work both ways: a few weeks ago I was in Finland and wanted a nice local gift to bring back for the wife of a Thai colleague, found some nice Marimekko ceramics, bought them only to discover MADE IN THAILAND on the base when taking off the price stickers.

There is a distinction behind a design company and a manufacturing company.The design is Finnish, but they've outsourced the actual production of goods to many cheaper manufacturers across the globe - it's also called business :D

You took the stickers off? facepalm.giffacepalm.gif

The stickers are the most valuable of the whole thing (for a Thai). They never take stickers off, not even plastic covers which are over a new sofa or bicycle.biggrin.png

Next time you buy ceramics from a Japanese artists (they have many). They are all handmade and from isetan it won't be fake.

I was in the headquarter from Isetan where those artists were selling/making new bowls. All the hi-so lady's were sitting at a bar (in the shop) eating hi-so foor and they even had wine there iirw.

I remember Marimekko from when i was a kid, we had a shop of them in town but i never found out what they sold there.

Are you sure the stickers were not fake?

"with netizens screaming: Is nothing sacred or exclusively Thai anymore?"

Welcome to the 21st century, Thailand. Is nothing sacred anymore? Let me see; Buddhism - you don't own it. Nobody does. When you get this through your heads, maybe you won't take yourselves so seriously anymore. Anyone can be Buddhist. If you wanna meet a like minded stupid white person. find a white Buddhist. They also wear it like a badge and go against its very core values. I simply apply common sense when interacting with my fellow man because I'm not a narcissist.

Exclusively Thai? So you want something Thai that means no one other than Thais can share it? Oh, how very Buddhist. Well, you can have 'Thainess'. And please, don't share it with the world. Remember - it's all yours.

Just some questions to all of you that complain about Thais and their Buddhist amulets...

If you are Christian:
Protestant: Do you wear or own a cross?
Catholic: Do you wear or own a cross? Do you have a saints medallion? Do you have a rosary?

If you are Jewish: Do you have a Davids star or a menorah?

and the list goes on and on and on...

Just some questions to all of you that complain about Thais and their Buddhist amulets...

If you are Christian:

Catholic: Do you wear or own a cross? Do you have a saints medallion? Do you have a rosary?

I wear them all and I'm an atheist. Well, I'm just hedging my bets, you know?

Is it not true that anything from another country can be made in Thailand, e.g. watches, running shoes, handbags, etc, and virtually nothing is said or done about it, except for the

occasional "raid," confiscation, and destruction of such objects. (Patpong and other such places immediately come to mind for those looking to purchase "genuine" counterfeit products. So, why do Thais complain about the possibility of counterfeit amulets being made outside of Thailand? If they were made in China, how did they get into Thailand, although Rattanapracha Lamlaila-or, manager of the store that is in dispute, states they have been buying and packaging these products for 10 years? He did not deny or admit they are not made in Thailand but notes all of his staff are Thai. These facts mean absolutely nothing.

Edited by wotsdermatter

If you are Christian:

Well, I am catholic (although non practicing) and do not own any of the above. I see no problem in owning such things if they give you some sort of comfort, so long as you DO NOT think they bestow some sort of magical powers or protection on you.

Thais DO think that those amulets bestow them with special powers or protection.

Anyone who thinks so is short a few cards of a full deck. I think it is horrific that the leader of a country should think so and/or call on fortune tellers when making decisions of national importance. That speaks volumns about the (lack of) mental capacity of the so called 'leader', not to mention the population in general.