Where is the best coffee place in CM (not Starbucks or chains)

balo

31 minutes ago, Sandy Freckle said:

Doe's anyone know of early opening places..., I like to get out walking around 6am onwards and would like to incorporate a cuppa java..., somewhere around N/E corner..., down by or towards the Ping ?

Anywhere in the fruit and veg market ?

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Sandy Freckle said:

Doe's anyone know of early opening places..., I like to get out walking around 6am onwards and would like to incorporate a cuppa java..., somewhere around N/E corner..., down by or towards the Ping ?

I started a thread on that topic last year- here's the info I got:

All I ever want is a nice mug of coffee with a dash of milk. I don't want frothy milk in a small cup that allows the coffee to cool to room temperature in 2 minutes. This seems to be very difficult to buy.

I did try the new branch of Mingmitr along Kaewnawarat just passed the entrance to Dara heading towards the bus station. I tried one of their poofy versions of a cup of coffee and it wasn't too bad. There's amble parking as well. Dara pharmacy is opposite so I can stock up on my meds at the same time. People keep telling me I've run out.

Edited by Loaded
spastic spelling

4 hours ago, Loaded said:

All I ever want is a nice mug of coffee with a dash of milk. I don't want frothy milk in a small cup that allows the coffee to cool to room temperature in 2 minutes. This seems to be very difficult to buy.

I don't care to count how many lousy (half) cups of coffee I've had in this town over the years. So many shops seem to be owned by non-coffee drinkers.

Like really,coffee costs are next to nil....for godsake man,pour a decent size cup of coffee !

Thanks to the OP and the gaggle of contributing coffee connoisseurs in uncovering the way for us all to the perfect cup of coffee here in CM!

14 hours ago, Fookhaht said:

EVERYTHING at the Coffee Club is delicious!

That might be but we are discussing the best coffee in C.M and Coffee Club is not even on my top 20 list. But better than Starbucks for sure.

But when you can find a better cup of coffee by walking 200 meters and save 60 baht then I will do it. 

Edited by balo

For me "best" cup of coffee is less about cost, and more about full flavoured..., well, up to a point..., as in a hotel cafe recently on the east bank of the Ping where they wanted 120bt for a single shot...., no thanks, I walked..., that was a bridge too far in more ways than 1. 

Edited by Sandy Freckle

If anyone can point me in the direction of excellent coffee at these prices below in CM in or near old city, with a place to plonk down comfortably and read the news online... I'll gladly give it a shot vs my fav. place Ramida Coffee/Fabulous Coffee Roasters on Moon Muang Soi 7 ...

I'm always open to new places, but I have found nothing to match the price/taste ratio as yet.......

P_20161120_121743-01.jpg

On 27/11/2016 at 1:23 AM, balo said:

Ramida is unbeatable I think , not many places you will find a professional barista offering his "art" for 20-30 baht . 

I tried Raminda for the first time and will not return. I just did not like the coffee. Nothing else to say but I just did not enjoy it at all.

For most, a 25 baht coffee like this will suit you fine, but if you either just do not understand coffee and that way it should taste and coffee is for you, is just a coffee for them, it is a great place to go.

For someone that has a great love for coffee and understands it, for me, I will just go elsewhere. For those looking for a cheap cup after 12:30 pm, Raminda is fine. It is much, much better then Nes Cafe on the Corner and much better than a few other places I have been too.

I went to HOM coffee on the moat road just north of ThaPae gate. 

PRO: coffee good, hot, well served by lovely folks in a clean and tidy place and at a very acceptable price (25 baht).

CON: massive auto pollution only meters away from outdoor table (the moat road), cigarette smokers at next table (one meter away), noise pollution from road, very loud german guy overtalking the tuk-tuks and song thiews (as bad as any chinese).

Result: might be a nice coffee spot if all traffic stopped for the day but otherwise not for me. 

19 hours ago, totally thaied up said:

For someone that has a great love for coffee and understands it, for me, I will just go elsewhere. For those looking for a cheap cup after 12:30 pm, Raminda is fine. It is much, much better then Nes Cafe on the Corner and much better than a few other places I have been too.

Quoting going wonky .....anyway, where would you go instead that is better ?

if you either just do not understand coffee and that way it should taste and coffee is for you, is just a coffee for them, it is a great place to go.

Way it should taste is as subjective as it gets, yet that tries to sounds objective...South-east Asian goes towards sour vs Euro roasts.

I tried Raminda for the first time and will not return. I just did not like the coffee. Nothing else to say but I just did not enjoy it at all.

For most, a 25 baht coffee like this will suit you fine, but if you either just do not understand coffee and that way it should taste and coffee is for you, is just a coffee for them, it is a great place to go.

I have been dissapointed only once and that was when another of the staff was working there, the guy who is the barista will always give you the best cup of coffee. If they don't know how to use the machine the taste can be completely wrong.

Went to Mamia recently.  How nice it is, sitting near the river, enjoying the quiet peaceful surroundings, not seeing or smelling any annoying cigarette smoke, sipping on an iced espersso (no sugar) and reading my book.

+3

I'll be back there when on that side of town.

2 hours ago, jobin said:

Went to Mamia recently.  How nice it is, sitting near the river, enjoying the quiet peaceful surroundings, not seeing or smelling any annoying cigarette smoke, sipping on an iced espersso (no sugar) and reading my book.

+3

I'll be back there when on that side of town.

always worried about DENGUE in that kind of setting especially if they have a lot of potted plants and shade....watch out !

6 hours ago, balo said:

I have been dissapointed only once and that was when another of the staff was working there, the guy who is the barista will always give you the best cup of coffee. If they don't know how to use the machine the taste can be completely wrong.

Was totally put off and will not return. I am not bagging the place out in the least,  but due to the fact, it did not meet my requirements, I shall not go again. The barista was there, and for me, it was a very tasteless experience. The coffee was better then Nes Cafe but a long way off my favourite shops.

Ma Chill is currently my number one barista here in Chiang Mai followed up by a no-name shop on the outskirts off San Kamphaeng. Both shops are using the same press, they have a house roast they mix themselves and a serious love for coffee. Ramida serves a useful purpose. Cheap coffee that is reasonable for the average Joe that wants a cup of coffee. It is perfect for that and most likely at this point, the best cheap coffee currently in Chiang Mai.

11 hours ago, freedomnow said:

Barring Asama, which I found boring, I need to check the other 2 out.

Asama is not really a cafe experience per se as it is just a small nook

built on her families restaurant area

But her coffee is world class.....literally

She is the Tech judge for the Barista Championships both local & World/International

Her espresso is awesome with her own blend of beans & also due to her travels as a tech Judge

she brings back small samples to try of the best coffee's in the world

These are just a few I tried there

20160729_133834.jpg

20160529_103407.jpg

20160705_112551.jpg

7 hours ago, freedomnow said:

Going to give Ma Chill a go, it seems to keep coming up....

Yes Ma Chill has skills & both Ad & his wife Gob are super nice folks

But also be sure to give Cotton Tree a try as you said you tried Asama already

Ok, tried Ma Chill -nothing much going on there.  Just a smooth double latte coffee for 75 Baht 50% smaller than Pacamara double latte which offers a slightly more deeper taste along with the smoothness, for same price.

Ma Chill exactly same size as a Ramida double latte at 2x the price. did not like Ma Chill interior, too hard.

Pacamara not mentioned in the thread yet, surprisingly.

Went  to Pacamara right after for another double latte much bigger, same price as Ma Chill.

Ma Chill top photo/Pacamara bottom photo. Next up this week , Cotton Tree.

Heard from my coffee guy at Ramida that a western barista visited yesterday and said it was the best so far in Thailand.

75 Baht double latte - Ma Chill.

P_20161204_095518.jpg

75 Baht double latte - Pacamara.

P_20161204_102825.jpg

Edited by freedomnow

4 hours ago, freedomnow said:

Will do, please try Ramida - you seem to know your stuff.

I actually went by Ramida last week to try but they were closed....

Sadly after living near 5 years in CM we moved back to our US home this week

So will be doing my espresso at home now :smile:

3 minutes ago, mania said:

I actually went by Ramida last week to try but they were closed....

Sadly after living near 5 years in CM we moved back to our US home this week

So will be doing my espresso at home now :smile:

Haha, if there is one issue there, it is variable opening time ;-(

Enjoy the lack of helmet checks on the roads.

2 hours ago, freedomnow said:

Ok, tried Ma Chill -nothing much going on there.  Just a smooth double latte coffee for 75 Baht 50% smaller than Pacamara double latte which offers a slightly more deeper taste along with the smoothness, for same price.

Ma Chill exactly same size as a Ramida double latte at 2x the price. did not like Ma Chill interior, too hard.

Pacamara not mentioned in the thread yet, surprisingly.

Went  to Pacamara right after for another double latte much bigger, same price as Ma Chill.

I actually like Pacmara too & they have some good beans from time to time to buy & take home

I have like levels of coffee in CM

That first tier is the 3 that  I mentioned

There is another I forgot to add to top ties & that would be Ponganes on Ratchapakinai not far from Ramida actually

Look on FB for the map....

Next would be the Pacmara, types

You know on Ma Chill what I like about them is the different Thai beans that come thru

Ad the owner is a good Barista & knows how to work them into a great espresso or piccolo

But the thing I like most about Ad is his tenacity & constant learning

He is young & will go far if he keeps it going

You notice his equipment is not top of the line....

That Futurmat two group lever he uses is not high end probably 2k USD but he works it perfectly

weighing dose from grinders then back flushing water in head that would be too hot

I notice things like that & appreciate those skills

Others like Asama with her two group .kees vander westen Spirit Duette

which costs probably near a million baht there as they cost 17kUSD here

Plus her grinders are top of the line & her skills are off the charts as she literally

judges the best in the world so knows

Same with Cotton Tree (who are also great folks)

They run a La Marzocco Strada which costs the same or more than that Spirit

But yes all 3 do great coffee

But coffee is subjective to what a customer wants.

I drink straight espresso or pour over

Once in a great while I may drink a piccolo which is a mini latte

But never a full sized latte or Cappuccino

The reason is all those drinks have the same amount of coffee

A double shot of espresso roughly 20gr

So you can drink that straight

or have it in a 4oz piccolo

8 oz cappuccino

12 oz latte

All these drinks will at the most only have that 20gr of coffee/espresso

Some places only put 7-10gr or a single shot of espresso unless you tell them

Problem for me is I want coffee not hot coffee flavored milk

The piccolo is ok still has the espresso cut thru the milk

but Lattes & Caps is just too much milk vs coffee for me

So ...........I think this is why some coffee places are great for some & others say well..............:smile::smile:

Edited by mania