New Site Feedback

Tech Doctor

1 minute ago, Tech Doctor said:

@transam please go for it post as much as you want, it will help me watch the logs and trends now with the changes we have made today.

TD

Am sure you are doing your best, but I am being locked up, hung, can't do anything at times....I am doing my best....:P

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Tech Doctor said:

I have limited the search criteria etc to 60 days at the moment too to reduce the load and maintain stability, whilst all these tasks complete.

TD

TD it's absolutely limiting more then that, it's not even showing a post (in the My posted content stream) I made in a topic which was opened yesterday and I posted in Yesterday. (and Yes Read Status is set to Everything ;) )

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/937723-sygic-summer-sale-65-off-app/

18 minutes ago, transam said:

Am sure you are doing your best, but I am being locked up, hung, can't do anything at times....I am doing my best....:P

@transam   It may help to clear your browser caches from time to time whilst this update is going on. The browser gets out of sync with the website so it's a bit like 2 people trying to have a conversation in 2 different languages. Clearing the caches can sometimes force them back on the same page so to speak.   Download and run CCleaner http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner Bear in mind that while the upgrade is going on and the database is indexing, there will be problems anyway.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VBF said:

@transam   It may help to clear your browser caches from time to time whilst this update is going on. The browser gets out of sync with the website so it's a bit like 2 people trying to have a conversation in 2 different languages. Clearing the caches can sometimes force them back on the same page so to speak.   Download and run CCleaner http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner Bear in mind that while the upgrade is going on and the database is indexing, there will be problems anyway.

First thing in the morning I CClean, last thing at night I CClean..........I am really coooool...:giggle:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, transam said:

First thing in the morning I CClean, last thing at night I CClean..........I am really coooool...:giggle:

Lol  :cheesy: Guess we're all just going to have to be patient a little longer then. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VBF said:

Lol  :cheesy: Guess we're all just going to have to be patient a little longer then. 

With me.....YES............:lol:

TVF should really install Trans angels voice collection CD Vol.3 for folk to drift into their heavenly world whilst waiting for their search....I require no payment....Your experience of heavenly stuff is enough....

It starts with ZZ Top, Gottsa get paid..........:cheesy:

20 minutes ago, transam said:

With me.....YES............:lol:

TVF should really install Trans angels voice collection CD Vol.3 for folk to drift into their heavenly world whilst waiting for their search....I require no payment....Your experience of heavenly stuff is enough....

It starts with ZZ Top, Gottsa get paid..........:cheesy:

@transam This might be appropriate for @Tech Doctor   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Gx8YIeJLsw

17 minutes ago, taotoo said:

Couldn't the indexing be done elsewhere and imported?

In theory It could, but that would mean that the Forum would have to be taken offline as the new posts created during that "offsite" indexing procedure would not be indexed.

And I think it would be very difficult to merge an Indexed Database with posts / topics / message that are NOT indexed, AFAIK it's not a simple Export / Import procedure, but I could be wrong

:wai:

Edited by MJCM

52 minutes ago, MJCM said:

In theory It could, but that would mean that the Forum would have to be taken offline as the new posts created during that "offsite" indexing procedure would not be indexed.

And I think it would be very difficult to merge an Indexed Database with posts / topics / message that are NOT indexed, AFAIK it's not a simple Export / Import procedure, but I could be wrong

:wai:

Not sure what type of db this forum uses nor what kind of indexing is going on but Ive done it before with mysql indexes, albeit on a smaller scale.

@taotoo

Oke, so what you are saying is (If I guess right ;) )

a- stop the indexing on the live servers

b- take the indexing to work on another set of Servers

c- keep the site online

d- when the indexing is finished on the "offline" server take the site down.

e- "merge" the database of the "offline" servers with the database of the "online" servers.

f- bring the merged database Site online (and pray ;) )

a,b,c and D are the "easy" part (if they have spare servers) the tricky part are the "E and F"

Sounds like an idea, however I have NO idea if it's feasible.

Edit: One more thing, since TD turned off a lot of the plugins this morning the site seems more responsive and I also haven't had any Error Messages even when indexing is going on.

Edited by MJCM

10 minutes ago, MJCM said:

@taotoo

Oke, so what you are saying is (If I guess right ;) )

a- stop the indexing on the live servers

b- take the indexing to work on another set of Servers

c- keep the site online

d- when the indexing is finished on the "offline" server take the site down.

e- "merge" the database of the "offline" servers with the database of the "online" servers.

f- bring the merged database Site online (and pray ;) )

a,b,c and D are the "easy" part (if they have spare servers) the tricky part are the "E and F"

Sounds like an idea, however I have NO idea if it's feasible.

Edit: One more thing, since TD turned off a lot of the plugins this morning the site seems more responsive and I also haven't had any Error Messages even when indexing is going on.

@MJCM At this stage of proceedings, with some content indexed and some not it's far better to let it run its course and complete the indexing.

As we mentioned earlier in this thread, IF TV had the resource to have  another set of servers (your point 'b'), I imagine TD would have had a "Test" environment and a "Live" environment. However if the site is going to stay up as much as possible during the upgrade, at SOME stage the most recent posts have to be merged into the newly indexed offline db. Of course, given loads of resource, they could have "mirrored databases with automatic failover" and.....and........ Now that costs serious money as it duplicates hardware, licences, computer space, power, aircon....... to say nothing of needing a lot of work by DBAs etc.:facepalm:

The new site is often not accessable and is slow again. It was not slow when it was first online. But it became slow and unresponsive after adding the ads. Maybe there is a problem there or some other problem. Right now its as bad as the old site

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, MJCM said:

<snip>

Edit: One more thing, since TD turned off a lot of the plugins this morning the site seems more responsive and I also haven't had any Error Messages even when indexing is going on

I think I spoke too soon, as I just had a 500 Error again :(

Just now, MJCM said:

I think I spoke too soon, as I just had a 500 Error again :(

Yes, but the good point is i know its definatley the tapatalk plugin. No more trying any patches until everything is complete with the after upgrade indexing.

TD

1 minute ago, Tech Doctor said:

Hi,

Definitely not enabling tapatalk until the forum is back. The recent outage was us applying a new patch which we were told should fix the issue.

TD

Wow that must be frustrating

On 1.8.2016 at 0:47 PM, Tech Doctor said:

As all the indexes are rebuilding it will take time for all your content to be re-linked.

ok that,

but where is the My content button? Thats a feature I really miss.

(otherwise, the new presentation seems pretty good)

1 hour ago, MJCM said:

@VBF

thanks for that, but I think you should have directed this at @taotoo as he asked the original question :D

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/935307-new-site-feedback/?page=27#comment-11055446

Indeed I should have @MJCM   Sorry! :whistling:  @taotoo my post was for you........

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

Sorry to say, but I'm not happy with the site at the moment. Almost every time I log on, it works for a while, then I can't get a connection ( service unavailable ) for about 15 minutes. That never happened before this "upgrade".

I don't care if it's the most fabulous upgrade in the whole world if I have to put up with that every time. Doesn't seem to make a difference what time of day either.

I'm still having trouble using the star button to go to last read, and no contents yet. I have to go to the individual forum every time- real drag. Sometimes it works, but have to click it 20 times or more.

14 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Sorry to say, but I'm not happy with the site at the moment. Almost every time I log on, it works for a while, then I can't get a connection ( service unavailable ) for about 15 minutes. That never happened before this "upgrade".

I don't care if it's the most fabulous upgrade in the whole world if I have to put up with that every time. Doesn't seem to make a difference what time of day either.

I'm still having trouble using the star button to go to last read, and no contents yet. I have to go to the individual forum every time- real drag. Sometimes it works, but have to click it 20 times or more.

@thaibeachlovers Glance back through this somewhat lengthy thread  - it will be intermittent until the indexing is complete and while certain bugs are fixed. 

I'm nothing to do with the site admin, merely an informed user but to everyone who is becoming frustrated with this, (that includes me, by the way) search for "database indexing" and you'll begin to see why - in layman's terms, imagine you're tidying up an old-fashioned paper filing system and noting exactly which cabinet and drawer and folder every file is in and cross-referencing them to every other file, and then producing more files showing a list of all locations (the index). At the same time users (us) are changing the files and moving them thus changing the permutations "on the fly".  

Then  imagine how many files and records and users TV must have...... Trivial  it is not! 

We all need to accept the fact that until TD and team tell us otherwise ....it's a work in progress!  
It went down partway through this posting - luckily, I write my posts in a text editor and then copy/paste them! 

And to @taotoowho asked above - looking at the error code I just got when the site fell over - yes - it's MySQL!

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

Lost connection several times today.....TV is slow many times....and for My Content query I setup posts have disappeared from yesterday....a few hours ago I only had 1 post showing...now it's zero.  I guess it's the indexing.  Seems as the system completes more of the indexing things should get better but it seems to be doing the opposite.  

1 minute ago, Pib said:

Lost connection several times today.....TV is slow many times....and for My Content query I setup posts have disappeared from yesterday....a few hours ago I only had 1 post showing...now it's zero.  I guess it's the indexing.  Seems as the system completes more of the indexing things should get better but it seems to be doing the opposite.  

Same here, but since 11am I only had one "lost connection" and that was TD trying to enable the Tapatalk plugin and that was late afternoon.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/935307-new-site-feedback/?page=28#comment-11055848

The lost "My Content" I am also experiencing

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/935307-new-site-feedback/?page=27#comment-11055059

On 8/15/2016 at 4:39 PM, JetsetBkk said:

Old news default_facepalm.gifAlready been discussed a zillion times.

You do know the site is being reconstructed, right?

I thought it was just a software upgrade, but I guess destroying and reconstruct the whole site is a more accurate description of what is currently happen to TV.

NB: If it is old news, why haven't it been fixed by now?

Edited by ExpatOilWorker