Thai attitude to foreigners: An all time low?

mike111

On Friday, September 02, 2016 at 9:48 PM, Naam said:

and one gets always a very polite thank you gesture stopping the car letting a pedestrian cross the street or a car enter a main street from a soi.

How do you know? Did your driver tell you?

I didn't read the whole tread.

Thai attitude changed? well against the Chinese for sure, those of them coming on group tour are generally ill behaved, first time (for many) outside China. Don't spend much money as all is already paid for; hotel/meals/tours so not much money to be made from them for most working here in Sin city. Talked to a Cambodian hat seller on beach road once and he was not impressed by the Chinese bus tourists and called them; cheap Charlies.

Some tourist/expats are not looked well upon by the Thais, drunk most of the time, rude, wife beater t-shit partly covering a big beer belly, unshaven.

Dressing just a bit nice when not on the beach and be polite and soft spoken goes a long way with the Thais and speaking a few Thai words helps too.

The whole world generally have to work harder/faster to make ends meet so people are getting more stressed out/frustrated.

• Like 1

Multiple troll and off topic posts about people getting beaten up have been removed.

They are hijacking the topic and and coming from one member only, be advised if that member does not stop trolling he will be going away on his holls.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gary A said:

People get beat up every day in Pattaya. I find it strange that in twenty years, I have never been beaten up. Why do suppose that is?

Perhaps because you look like Godzilla having a bad day?

Sorry about that but I am trying to be a little humorous on a Sunday.

It may not have worked.

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 1:18 PM, JHolmesJr said:

It takes an especially needy person to worry about what someone who you are never going to interact with again thinks of you.

Just remember one thing….money is all that holds any weight with these folks…..

If they sense they can get some from you they will be nice, if not they ignore you.

It is a charade I am very comfortable with.

Yes of course it is the foreigners fault (sarcasm).

What people are discussing here is NOT if you mistreat someone, they do it back. We are discussing if you are polite and friendly to staff or other locals and THEY are impolite, unhelpful, unmotivated, rude, and lazy in return.

Staff at a store are paid to help customers, regardless of the customer's DNA, passport, or level of friendliness. It's obvious many Thai apologists don't know much about retail. Staff aren't supposed to size up a customer and help him based on his smile and if lacking one, become rude to him. That's not how retail is supposed to work anywhere.

So, that is the topic. In discussing human behavior there are always exceptions, but we are discussing trends, not the exceptions.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Naam said:

does it hurt if a hooker despises you?

No but it's a laugh when people think they are liked just because they are paying somebody for sex, believe me most Thai prostitutes do despise and dislike the customer, falang or not. 

Just now, thai3 said:

No but it's a laugh when people think they are liked just because they are paying somebody for sex, believe me most Thai prostitutes do despise and dislike the customer, falang or not. 

But I am a very hansum man, and I look very young, 

Yeah that's what they tell you :lol: Many times in a bar etc I have seen girls all over a guy, only to see them slagging him off as soon as he goes for a piss, and then the 'smiles' come back when he returns, it's all an act, but a lot of the punters never seem to catch on.

5 hours ago, petermik said:

Maybe you never go out :(

At my age, I don't get out as much as I used to. I don't like to reveal any secrets but I still do get out and about. I make an effort to be friendly.

On 9/2/2016 at 0:46 PM, beachproperty said:

So you went to a few shops where they didn't say thank-you....And  one laundry shop where the women was busy and didn't kiss your ass.

For a tourist in touristy areas to make generalization about all the Thai's....Well that's just stupid:w00t:

Have lived here for over 10 Years and NO I haven't seen Thai attitudes gradually eroding......But maybe that's because I don't live in a touristy area.

Having lived in a "touristy area" for over 10 years, I can assure you that what the OP has experienced is spot on... and even in the less touristy areas. Even in Bangkok. Courteous Thais are an anomaly these days. When you meet one they stand out.

I don't even think it's a gradual erosion. I think it's rapid.

It is possible that dealing with so many unfriendly nationalities of tourists over the last 5 or so years may have sped up the decline. I don't think all nationalities would care about Thais being unfriendly.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 2

On 9/2/2016 at 3:00 PM, JHolmesJr said:

Funnily enough, I always get a genuine Wai and a KKK when I hand over my 1,000 bht the next morning.

You can tell the difference between a "genuine wai" and fake wai?

I doubt they're happy about your measly 1000 baht, which is low pay these days. They're just happy to get the hell out of there and get back to their family or boyfriend.

2 hours ago, tropo said:

You can tell the difference between a "genuine wai" and fake wai?

I doubt they're happy about your measly 1000 baht, which is low pay these days. They're just happy to get the hell out of there and get back to their family or boyfriend.

Plus 80b for motocy and a bowl of street noodles. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tropo said:

Having lived in a "touristy area" for over 10 years, I can assure you that what the OP has experienced is spot on... and even in the less touristy areas. Even in Bangkok. Courteous Thais are an anomaly these days. When you meet one they stand out.

I don't even think it's a gradual erosion. I think it's rapid.

It is possible that dealing with so many unfriendly nationalities of tourists over the last 5 or so years may have sped up the decline. I don't think all nationalities would care about Thais being unfriendly.

Well tropo....you must be one grumpy farang.:bah:

I've lived in Bangkok for a few years and the last 10 I've been down in Rayong. Wife and daughter run a Home stay business where most (99%) of the people that stay are Thai. I have YET to meet the "unfriendly" , "Dis-courteous" Thai. :D I obviously don't hang out in the same circles you do.:cheesy:

The "farangs" I've met, on the other hand, have generally been rude skin flints.......Go figure:w00t: