What's the meaning of curved line on the road?

momtaz

These zig-zag lines indicate to United Kingdom motorists that they are approaching a pedestrian crossing. It is an offence to stop a vehicle within the lines except when stopping for pedestrians using the crossing. A zebra crossing is a type of pedestrian crossing used in many places around the world.

I knew they looked 'wrong'.

In the UK the broken (or unbroken) central line disappears when these zigzags are applied. In this shot, they have chucked everything on including a bus lane by the looks of it. All studiously ignored by the road users.

16 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Google says it is a UK thingy - stay in lane and do not stop - both things not many here are concerned with.  

Similar thing in Australia.   It means a pedestrian crossing is coming up, no parking, and people have PRIORITY!

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

These zig-zag lines indicate to United Kingdom motorists that they are approaching a pedestrian crossing. It is an offence to stop a vehicle within the lines except when stopping for pedestrians using the crossing. A zebra crossing is a type of pedestrian crossing used in many places around the world.

Are  cross walks those faded white lines that cross the road from time to time that are almost obliterated by years of traffic and little to no touching up? The ones that drivers ignore? Costs money to touch them up? Guess that explains it. 

I remember the zigzag lines being announced over a year ago. They were meant to caution drivers of something up ahead. But for some reason they mixed up the two types of lines. Applying British style "pedestrian (zebra) crossing ahead, don't park" while it should have been a zigzag in the centre of the road.

A central zigzag marking can be found in various European country to warn drivers "caution, slow down, there is something up ahead that you need to be prepared for (pedestrian crossing, cyclisist crossing, intersection, narrowing of the road, a sharp curve, ..."

That zigzag looks like this:

strepenwetnl90.JPG

So this was introduced with the best of intentions, sadly the mixed the two type of zigzag lines up. For a general caution warning they should have usee the central zigzag rather than the zigzag on the side (pedestrian crossing warning).

But it matters not since road markings are only seen as decoration anyway and the police do not often bother to enforce traffic rules such as staking out at a zebra crossing and hand out fines (or collect tea money) for those who fail to stop and give way to crossing pedestrians.

Edited by Donutz

They are to highlight lane markings and not to be crossed/stay in lane.

There are usually arrows in the road depicting the correct lane to be in approaching a junction. Left, straight ahead or right.

It's an early warning indicator to choose your lane and stay in it.

Just before the junction it flows into a series of diagonal lines across the road, meaning slow down.

Example at Unilever building 9

http://www.siamtraffic.org/9462/เส้นจราจรแบบซิกแซก-งานตีเส้นจราจร-unilever-building-พระราม-9/

Edited by Faz

Hmm, in the UK the zigzags also mean no overtaking in the zigzag area and that it's an offence to do so besides other requirements.  See here on page 122:  https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/519129/know-your-traffic-signs.pdf

I do realise that we're taking about Thailand here, but to me much of Thailand's road traffic signs seem to be derived from European and UK sources.

Driving schools in Thailand sometimes have a book available to get you ready for the Thai test.  I've looked through my copy but it hasn't got any information about zigzag markings in it as it is from 2015.  What would be really useful would be if someone could point us to a URL for Thai road signs.  I won't hold my breath waiting for the details though . . .

On a similar but different theme, the approach road to Victory Monument, or more precisely, the overpass bridge at Samliam(sp) intersection on Rajwithi has newly painted red lines. Victory Monument has a number of hospitals and is used daily for emergency ambulance services. With the horrendous traffic jams here, I always feel sorry for the unfortunate occupant of any ambulance trying to get to a hospital in a hurry.

For most of the day, the bridge is gridlocked while the drivers wait for the 5 minutes cycle of traffic light changes. Big problem for an ambulance in a hurry, well the patient inside, really.

So the Transport dept have devised a cunning plan with a new lane created in the centre of the road and delineated in red with a while circle and red cross every so often to show the purpose of the new lane.

I would've thought it was obvious - those lines are there to create uncertainty, and any RTA's involving uncertainty require adjudication, and adjudication is an essential (and sometimes lucrative) part of any road network. You really need to stop asking so many questions about this kinda stuff... it's becoming really bothersome...