metal roofing companies/contractors

bobmac10

My house has a mixture of ceilings and some  exposed beams (skillion roof).

The roofing material is asbestos/cement sheet, dark red in colour.

Gradually the colour is wearing off and mould/moss is growing on it which is a dark brown, black colour.

This is a very efficient heat sink, absorbing the sun all day then radiating it down in the evening. Under the skillion roof is much hotter, (no ceiling space).

Yes I could power wash it and repaint it, but it's very brittle and won't carry my weight.

So I am thinking about re-roofing in a lightweight metal product with an insulated layer bonded to it (polystyrene). There are several companies selling it, some are manufactured in Thailand.

The insulating properties are incredible (i've studied the product spec sheets,) obviously the thicker the better the insulation. They come in a large range of thicknesses from 50mm up to 200mm in 25 mm increments.

I was thinking about using the 75mm thick one, it is light, (my existing roof framing will be able to support it) and comes in a range of colours including white which will reflect the sun even more.

I wrote to the companies asking them if they have approved installers in Chiang Mai/ Chiang Rai, but they don't.

They suggested I contact a roofing company and get them to do it, i,e, measure, order and install.

Can anyone recommend a reputable company up to the job?

We live out of town but have accommodation here.

I appreciate your comments on my idea, but my mind is made up, I've seen this used in Australia and it is very efficient, it is used for cold stores, wine storage warehouses etc.

It works very well and it resists mould, will support walking on and is lightweight.

So, I just need some recommended roofing companies that you can vouch for.

thanks

Can not answer directly but we (and several others) installed such to replace polycarbonate garage roofs and very happy with them.  Much cooler and less noise.  Have not seen any leakage.  Believe Thai call them zinc roof and there are several makers - below is a good website.

http://www.kssthailand.com/products/sheet-metal-roofing/

I found a sheet metal roof manufacturer on Hang Dong Rd, western side, just north of Kad Farang and alongside a general home building supplies store.   One might easily think the 2 shop fronts are one and the same but it seems they don't live together harmoniously.  The building supplies co did not even acknowledge his neighbour, a competitor in some small part.  

Location is here https://goo.gl/maps/6mJFczVe6no - the building under demolition or reconstruction is the roofing co's shop front.  Lady manager speaks perfect English.  The sheet metal works and roof rolling factory is out back.  I watched as pre-ordered lengths of colorbond roofing came off the rolling machine with bonded insulation.  A slick operation!

Sorry I can't be more helpful but I'm sure the manageress will be only too happy to give further advice.

2 hours ago, kaptainrob said:

I found a sheet metal roof manufacturer on Hang Dong Rd, western side, just north of Kad Farang and alongside a general home building supplies store.   One might easily think the 2 shop fronts are one and the same but it seems they don't live together harmoniously.  The building supplies co did not even acknowledge his neighbour, a competitor in some small part.  

Location is here https://goo.gl/maps/6mJFczVe6no - the building under demolition or reconstruction is the roofing co's shop front.  Lady manager speaks perfect English.  The sheet metal works and roof rolling factory is out back.  I watched as pre-ordered lengths of colorbond roofing came off the rolling machine with bonded insulation.  A slick operation!

Sorry I can't be more helpful but I'm sure the manageress will be only too happy to give further advice.

Thanks Rob sounds like I should pay her a visit.

Who did the actual installation?

Hey Bobmak10,

The Aussie stuff is colourbond steel - I bought some for my Mother in Law's house - Imported from OZ, thick layer of a polystyrene bonded to it.

Not cheap but, it is unbelievably effective; not only deflecting heat, but it is quiet in heavy rain.

If it is available in Bua Yai - a relatively small town in Korat - one would guess if you keep searching, you will find an outlet in CM. 

There were two grades available in Bua Yai - lower spec was of course the cheapest. It will be a no brainer to decide, when you inspect the stuff

Good luck mate

• 8 months later...

Just want to introduce myself. Kyle Cresson with PrimeFirst Inspection. I'm excited to FINALLY be given the time to focus on building out our new network of trusted contractors. I'm sure I will have a lot questions, but I will do my best to contribute as well.

I look forward to being an active member of the community. So far this looks great!

-kyle

• 2 months later...
On October 14, 2016 at 9:05 AM, kaptainrob said:

Hi Rob I might be having a brain fart but went past there and didnt see anything about roofing........didnt see the little map on the iPad and just drove northwards from Kad FArang but on closer inspection i see its quite close.

You happen to know if the roofing place is still there?

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 2:17 PM, rawhod said:

We bought our roofing for our carport there as well. A couple of local guys in our village installed it.

Hi Rob I might be having a brain fart but went past there and didnt see anything about roofing........didnt see the little map on the iPad and just drove northwards from Kad FArang but on closer inspection i see its quite close.
You happen to know if the roofing place is still there?

Found it today.
A little more difficult to communicate, nearly all Zacs, no color scope except white, prices very similar......I think I will stick with the place on the Superhwy, though will have a quick look at The one past promenada.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Just wondering what you decided on roofing cheeryble? I will be needing to make a decision soon and want a colorbond roof. Tried the people by Promenada and don't believe it is the quality I want, lower grade steel and they say they apply the colorbond paint which I thought was done at the Bluescope steel plant. I would also like to get insulation bonded onto the colorbond for better sound deadening, but haven't found that yet. The people in Hang Dong near Kad Farang pretty much tried  to steer us away from a Bluescope roof and told my wife it would be too noisy. Haven't visited the dealer on the superhighway yet. Hope you have had better luck finding what you need.

Just wondering what you decided on roofing cheeryble? I will be needing to make a decision soon and want a colorbond roof. Tried the people by Promenada and don't believe it is the quality I want, lower grade steel and they say they apply the colorbond paint which I thought was done at the Bluescope steel plant. I would also like to get insulation bonded onto the colorbond for better sound deadening, but haven't found that yet. The people in Hang Dong near Kad Farang pretty much tried  to steer us away from a Bluescope roof and told my wife it would be too noisy. Haven't visited the dealer on the superhighway yet. Hope you have had better luck finding what you need.

Hi Aguda
Well you've saved me a trip to the place near promenada. I will probably stick with the place on the Super and can let u know about details for there.....they certainly press/roll the sheets themselves glue the insulation on and all that, I presume from repainted rolls.

Fact is we've been over busy e last days and yet have to complete the house rough layout.....it's still morphing which isn't a bad thing....and then organize drawings and builder.

But I've learned a lot about metal roofs and I'm considering paying extra for polyurethane.foam insulation which fits the roof sheets rather than PE

It may be that we could visit the Super place together next time, power in numbers.....how many m2 will your roof be?

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Thanks for the quick response! We have house plans drawn up from my design and have talked with the builder we want to use. We are trying to finalize all the decoration elements, fixtures and built-ins.

We have a meeting in 10 days to get the final build estimate so the more we have pre chosen the closer the estimate. Our roof is a hip style with 2 sections and is between  275 to 300 square meters.

Found a great store for choosing tiles, lights and fixtures on the Super Highway just after the Isuzu dealer called Bonthavorn. The place is huge and reasonable pricing on a lot of what I need. Plan on spending a few hours there. They have an inexpensive restaurant out back 35Baht lunch 10 for thai tea. Nice place to spend a few hours dreaming of the new house.

1 hour ago, Aguda said:

Thanks for the quick response! We have house plans drawn up from my design and have talked with the builder we want to use. We are trying to finalize all the decoration elements, fixtures and built-ins.

We have a meeting in 10 days to get the final build estimate so the more we have pre chosen the closer the estimate. Our roof is a hip style with 2 sections and is between  275 to 300 square meters.

Found a great store for choosing tiles, lights and fixtures on the Super Highway just after the Isuzu dealer called Bonthavorn. The place is huge and reasonable pricing on a lot of what I need. Plan on spending a few hours there. They have an inexpensive restaurant out back 35Baht lunch 10 for thai tea. Nice place to spend a few hours dreaming of the new house.

Will send PM shortly

Edited by cheeryble

• 1 month later...