Thais, Russian charged with assault following Phuket street brawl

webfact

Thais, Russian charged with assault following Phuket street brawl

The Phuket News

1477624040_1-org.jpg

The brawl is said to have started after a taxi driver asked the Russian tourists to slow down when driving through Karon Centre. Photo: Screengrab

PHUKET: -- Police have confirmed to The Phuket News that four Thais and one Russian have been charged with assault following a street brawl in Karon last Sunday (Oct 23).

Karon Police Chief Col Sanya Thongsawas told The Phuket News yesterday (Oct 27) that five people involved in the street fight have been charged with assault.

The four Thai nationals were named as Mr Sangown Saeing, 37; Mr Wutthichai Sanghala 36; Mr Ewe Salag 26, and Mr Jaran Noosong, 38, the Russian was named as Mr Edgar Khetagurov, 26.

Last Sunday’s brawl between local taxi drivers and a group of tourists on motorbikes happened at about 2:40pm on Kata Rd, near the main three-way intersection in Kata Centre. Four taxi drivers involved in the brawl were injured, while the tourists suffered only scrapes and bruises.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/thais-russian-charged-with-assault-following-phuket-street-brawl-59614.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2016-10-28

RELATED TOPIC:

VIDEO: Phuket taxi driver ‘bricked’, in ICU, after street brawl with Russian big bike tourists
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/950370-video-phuket-taxi-driver-‘bricked’-in-icu-after-street-brawl-with-russian-big-bike-tourists/

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well the vast majority of Thaivisa posters on the first related OP of this thread were wrong (again) in congratulating the Russian for being such a hard man and hero.  He wasn't alone as most were claiming regardless of the OP reporting there was a group of Russians.

8 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

Well the vast majority of Thaivisa posters on the first related OP of this thread were wrong (again) in congratulating the Russian for being such a hard man and hero.  He wasn't alone as most were claiming regardless of the OP reporting there was a group of Russians.

So where does it say the more than 1 Russian was fighting?

Only 1 Russian and 5 Thais charged, or did I miss something?

11 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

So why was only 1 Russian charged ?  The video shows another guy (Russian) trying to pull back his friend. Might have been other before the video started. But it's clear in the video only 1 Russian was on the attack.

45 minutes ago, ChrisY1 said:

So now the cops agree....4 Thais onto 1 Russian....and they all get charged.....lets see the fines meted out.....I'm betting Tb400 for Thais...Tb2000 for the Rusky most likely

No, the police do not agree with you.

30 minutes ago, bokningar said:

You missed something.

28 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

So why was only 1 Russian charged ?  The video shows another guy (Russian) trying to pull back his friend. Might have been other before the video started. But it's clear in the video only 1 Russian was on the attack.

"Last Sunday’s brawl between local taxi drivers and a group of tourists on motorbikes..."

2 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

You missed something.

"Last Sunday’s brawl between local taxi drivers and a group of tourists on motorbikes..."

Based on your interpretation of the media reports, not actual knowledge?

7 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

Taxi drivers 'asked' them to slow down. I'm willing to bet how that conversation went down!

...and the tourists responded by revving the bikes, probably not quietly.

7 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

Based on your interpretation of the media reports, not actual knowledge?

Which is not unreasonable, certainly not as unreasonable as completely ignoring the part of the report that confirms a group of tourists were involved.  How would you interpret that, for god's sake?

What else is there to go on except police reports to the media, do you have actual knowledge of the events that contradicts the police?

13 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

Which is not unreasonable, certainly not as unreasonable as completely ignoring the part of the report that confirms a group of tourists were involved.  How would you interpret that, for god's sake?

What else is there to go on except police reports to the media, do you have actual knowledge of the events that contradicts the police?

There might have been 'a group of tourists' at the time the taxi guys supposed asked the bikers to stop revving,but only one Russian was involved in the 'brawl'. I see 6 tourists in the video (3 guys and 3 gals) I guess any others pissed off.

But then I have no first hand knowledge and neither do the police/media who relied on the Thai guys to tell their side of the story.

Edited by LivinginKata

19 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

Taxi drivers 'asked' them to slow down. I'm willing to bet how that conversation went down!

Must have been a very fast conversation if they where driving that fast.

No chance one of them would have thrown a brick at the Russian, and the Russian gave it back to him???? 

33 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

You missed something.

If there was more Russians nothing says that they was fighting,

Maybe attacked by the Tuck tuck drivers I don't know.

But apparently they started the fight

" From the video, it appears that Khetagurov was slapped first,"
Read more at http://www.thephuketnews.com/thais-russian-charged-with-assault-following-phuket-street-brawl-59614.php#1IiJorEFRSysdzWQ.99

38 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

14 minutes ago, bokningar said:

Must have been a very fast conversation if they where driving that fast.

No chance one of them would have thrown a brick at the Russian, and the Russian gave it back to him???? 

Re. the first sentence of bokingar's post, that was my first thought too :lol:.

17 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

There might have been 'a group of tourists' at the time the taxi guys supposed asked the bikers to stop revving,but only one Russian was involved in the 'brawl'. I see 6 tourists in the video (3 guys and 3 gals) I guess any others pissed off.

But then I have no first hand knowledge and neither do the police/media who relied on the Thai guys to tell their side of the story.

" Last Sunday’s brawl between local taxi drivers and a group of tourists on motorbikes...".    "A group of tourists" means there was a group of them, more than one.  The brawl started before the woman picked up the brick which is where the video starts.

No one here has first hand knowledge of what happened but why assume that the police have relied only on the Thais for information?  Try being rational and assume that the Russian was interviewed also, which he obviously was.  Maybe his mates scarpered before they got nicked.

11 minutes ago, bokningar said:

If there was more Russians nothing says that they was fighting,

Maybe attacked by the Tuck tuck drivers I don't know.

But apparently they started the fight

" From the video, it appears that Khetagurov was slapped first,"
Read more at http://www.thephuketnews.com/thais-russian-charged-with-assault-following-phuket-street-brawl-59614.php#1IiJorEFRSysdzWQ.99

"If there was more Russians nothing says that they was fighting,"    Really?  Try reading this, slowly...

"Last Sunday’s brawl between local taxi drivers and a group of tourists...".;  It can't be made clearer than that.

Don't rely on the video alone, that doesn't start at the beginning of the fight.

If we just look at everything thats written,its clearly the russians fault and resulted in nearly killing a thai.i am always wondering what makes you think so bad about the thais,been here 6 years and the only problems i had was always with other westerners....i mean did you read that he punched the guy with a brick in the head....i believe its 100% the russians fault...to many people coming to this country and behaving like absolut bricks and think they are smarter and worthier then thais.

If a thai tells me to slow down,be more quiet or whatever because he is offended by my behaviour i just gonna <deleted> and respect that i am not in my own country.period.

just my 2 cents

"Four taxi drivers involved in the brawl were injured, while the tourists suffered only scrapes and bruises."

hehe….the perils of taking on a 26 year old, fit, non-drunk bloke.

they usually aim for a 62 year old.

the russian might be equally to blame for his part…fine them all and lets move on.

51 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

"If there was more Russians nothing says that they was fighting,"    Really?  Try reading this, slowly...

"Last Sunday’s brawl between local taxi drivers and a group of tourists...".;  It can't be made clearer than that.

Don't rely on the video alone, that doesn't start at the beginning of the fight.

Try reading this slowly..."Police have confirmed to The Phuket News that four Thais and one Russian have been charged with assault following a street brawl in Karon last Sunday (Oct 23)."   Do you really think the police would let a tourist off the hook for assault if they were involved? Wake up dude!!

2 hours ago, bokningar said:

If the odds were only 4 to 1 Russian the Thais should have called for help. Unfair odds.  He would not even have to set his beer down to deal with them. 

Edited by elgordo38

It is amazing how badly injured Thais can be when they smell monetary compensation.....

On a side note, criminal law of Thailand says that if injury is lasting (let say chronic head ace or similar) the cops can put the other party in custody.....

56 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

"Four taxi drivers involved in the brawl were injured, while the tourists suffered only scrapes and bruises."

hehe….the perils of taking on a 26 year old, fit, non-drunk bloke.

they usually aim for a 62 year old.

the russian might be equally to blame for his part…fine them all and lets move on.

Glad to hear that.

Still got 3 years to go before the danger zone..........................;)

Still, it appears to only be usually 62 yo's, helps to keep one on their toes.

5 hours ago, nikotin said:

If we just look at everything thats written,its clearly the russians fault and resulted in nearly killing a thai.i am always wondering what makes you think so bad about the thais,been here 6 years and the only problems i had was always with other westerners....i mean did you read that he punched the guy with a brick in the head....i believe its 100% the russians fault...to many people coming to this country and behaving like absolut bricks and think they are smarter and worthier then thais.

If a thai tells me to slow down,be more quiet or whatever because he is offended by my behaviour i just gonna <deleted> and respect that i am not in my own country.period.

just my 2 cents

Six years and know nothing! You are so funny!

3 hours ago, bokningar said:

Up the Russkies if u ask me - makes a change !!! Been in similar afrrays through no fault of my own in Phuket and it ain't funny. 

Edited by ScotBkk

3 hours ago, bokningar said:

PHUKET: -- Police have confirmed to The Phuket News that four Thais and one Russian have been charged with assault following a street brawl in Karon last Sunday (Oct 23).